more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

nfr take a bow Joe Root

Started by fulhamben, June 13, 2014, 03:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

carried his bat on 200. england declare on 575 for 9
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

HatterDon

crap, I'm out of the loop. Where's England playing and against whom?

A World Cup summer always makes me lose sight of cricket.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

VicHalomsLovechild

glenhodgso

It is great news, thanks for posting  - a wonderful young sportsman - and a great chap to boot!

Have to be a pedant though - he did not "carry his bat" - that term is reserved for opening batsmen who are still "not out" after the team innings has closed, usually after all 10 wickets have fallen, but occasional acceptance for an innings when a batsman has "retired hurt".

In over 2000 test matches, (so assume 3,000 innings) this feat has been achieved less than 50 times...

sunburywhite

Woodfull, Hutton, Lawry & Gturner are 4 players who did it twice and Desmond Haynes the sole one who achieved this feat thrice.

Out of 48 instances, 29 times players scored a hundred while carrying his bat, 5 of whom got to double hundred in the process. There have been only 5 instances when a batsman carried his bat but scored below 50.

It has been achieved by 13 times by Aus, 8 by Eng, 6 by Windies, 5 times by South Africa, 4 Pak, and 3 each by Ind, Sri Lanka & Zim, twice by Kiwis and once by a Nangladesh batsman. England has been on the receiving end on 12 instances followed by 8 each against Kiwis and Pak, 6 times against aus, 4 ind, 3 each against South Africa, windies and zim and once against Sri Lanka, no batsman have carried his bat against bangladesh so far.

The highest score by a batsman while carrying his bat has been G Turners 223 against Windies at Kingston in 1972, lowest being by AB Tancred of South Africa who scored 26 while his team was bowled out for 47 against England at Cape Town way back in 1889.

The highest team score achieved when someone carried his bat is 428, scored by Sri Lanka against zim at Bulawayo in 1999, when Atapattu scored 216.

It has been 3rd time, when this feat has been achieved in a calendar year thrice, Gavaskar, Mudassar and Wettimuny in 1983, Anwar, Atapattu, Arnold in 1999, Dravid, Mawoyo & Warner in 2011.

This feat has been achieved on 27 different test grounds, with Lords experiencing it maximum 5 times, followed by 4 times at Adelaide & Bulawayo, thrice at Oval & Cape Town, twice at Sydney, johannesburg, brisbane, port of spain, Auckland, Faislabad, christchurch, once each at lucknow, nottingham, durban, delhi, kingston, perth, lahore, karachi, leeds, rawalpindi, kolkotta, harare, galle, napier & hobart.
- See more at: http://www.cricketradius.com/stats/stats-and-facts-carrying-bat-in-a-completed-test-innings#sthash.veRy9pXt.dpuf
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

fulhamben

:protest card:ok then now i know the true meaning, didnt cook carry his bat a couple of times the last time we won in australia?

King_Crud

my mate carried his bat for his work team a couple of weeks ago. He got 21 runs and it was a T20 game. Worst opener ever  064.gif

Slaphead in Qatar

Root is a flat track bully. He did nothing against a proper bowling attack like the aussies.

fulhamben

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on June 14, 2014, 09:04:27 AM
Root is a flat track bully. He did nothing against a proper bowling attack like the aussies.
apart from hitting them for 180 not so long ago

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: fulhamben on June 14, 2014, 10:27:02 AM

one or two good innings against them, apart from that he has regularly failed against them. He only averages 33 against them

fulhamben

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on June 14, 2014, 11:37:03 AM
apart from hitting them for 180 not s Io long ago

one or two good innings against them, apart from that he has regularly failed against them. He only averages 33 against them
nothing to do with the fact he was made to open when really he should be a 4 or 5 then.

epsomraver

Knew there would be a knocker somewhere out among the sandcastles

glenhodgso

Quote from: sunburywhite on June 13, 2014, 07:54:01 PM
Woodfull, Hutton, Lawry & Gturner are 4 players who did it twice and Desmond Haynes the sole one who achieved this feat thrice.

Out of 48 instances, 29 times players scored a hundred while carrying his bat, 5 of whom got to double hundred in the process. There have been only 5 instances when a batsman carried his bat but scored below 50.

It has been achieved by 13 times by Aus, 8 by Eng, 6 by Windies, 5 times by South Africa, 4 Pak, and 3 each by Ind, Sri Lanka & Zim, twice by Kiwis and once by a Nangladesh batsman. England has been on the receiving end on 12 instances followed by 8 each against Kiwis and Pak, 6 times against aus, 4 ind, 3 each against South Africa, windies and zim and once against Sri Lanka, no batsman have carried his bat against bangladesh so far.

The highest score by a batsman while carrying his bat has been G Turners 223 against Windies at Kingston in 1972, lowest being by AB Tancred of South Africa who scored 26 while his team was bowled out for 47 against England at Cape Town way back in 1889.

The highest team score achieved when someone carried his bat is 428, scored by Sri Lanka against zim at Bulawayo in 1999, when Atapattu scored 216.

It has been 3rd time, when this feat has been achieved in a calendar year thrice, Gavaskar, Mudassar and Wettimuny in 1983, Anwar, Atapattu, Arnold in 1999, Dravid, Mawoyo & Warner in 2011.

This feat has been achieved on 27 different test grounds, with Lords experiencing it maximum 5 times, followed by 4 times at Adelaide & Bulawayo, thrice at Oval & Cape Town, twice at Sydney, johannesburg, brisbane, port of spain, Auckland, Faislabad, christchurch, once each at lucknow, nottingham, durban, delhi, kingston, perth, lahore, karachi, leeds, rawalpindi, kolkotta, harare, galle, napier & hobart.
- See more at: http://www.cricketradius.com/stats/stats-and-facts-carrying-bat-in-a-completed-test-innings#sthash.veRy9pXt.dpuf

Interesting fact about G. Turner, the New Zealander, who in the 1970's was a hero of mine, he also holds the following record:

The highest percentage of runs scored in any completed innings is 83.43% by Glenn Turner who scored 141 not out out of Worcestershire's 169 against Glamorgan at Swansea in 1977. The remaining batsmen scored 27 and there was one extra

PokerMatt

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on June 14, 2014, 11:37:03 AM

Name someone who didn't fail against the Aussies in the winter.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: epsomraver on June 14, 2014, 11:55:24 AM

Knew there would be a knocker somewhere out among the sandcastles

lots of sand here for sure. But never seen a sandcastle.