watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (14/06/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 13, 2014, 06:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Uruguay v Costa Rica Preview: Arsenal's Joel Campbell can be a 'big weapon' for Group D minnows

Bryan Ruiz may have tasted some bitter disappointment at Craven Cottage but he does not expect Costa Rica to be the kind of whipping boys that Fulham became in the Premier League.

Judging by the way their team hotel on the Fortaleza waterfront was besieged by chanting fans, their supporters share the Costa Rica captain's determination that, by the time they face England for the final group game, they will still have something to play for.

"Playing against England in the last game of the group will be special for me after my time at Fulham," said Ruiz, who finished a disastrous season loaned out to PSV Eindhoven. "It is a dream I have waited my whole life for but it has to be more than this. We have got to believe we have a chance of making the last 16 and everything in the first two games has got to be about making sure we are still in the World Cup when we play England."

And in the shape of the Arsenal striker, Joel Campbell, who embarrassed Manchester United while on loan at Olympiakos, they have someone whom Ruiz believes "can be a big weapon for us".

Costa Rica, like England, are not expecting to face Luis Suarez - there is just Edison Cavani and Diego Forlan, the striker who won the Golden Ball at the last World Cup, to worry about.

The Liverpool striker returned to training yesterday but, given that Costa Rica represents the weakest side in Group D, there was never a question of risking his knee, which was operated on last month.

Oscar Tabarez's side should have too much firepower for Costa Rica in the Estadio Castelao without needing to take a punt on Suarez. The final group game, against Italy on June 24, might be a very different matter.

Forlan did not train yesterday because of a stomach upset but the 35-year-old, who drove Uruguay to the semi-finals in South Africa, is expected to start alongside Cavani against a Costa Rican defence missing the Deportivo Saprissa wing-back, Heiner Mora, who suffered a stress fracture of the heel in training.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/uruguay-v-costa-rica-preview-arsenals-joel-campbell-can-be-a-big-weapon-for-group-d-minnows-9534037.html

WhiteJC

Dejagah: No Pressure

Ashkan Dejagah believes his Iran side can spring a few surprises at the Brazil World Cup.

Fulham's flying winger is poised to make his first-ever appearance at the tournament when his country face Nigeria in their opening game of Group F on Monday (8pm BST).

Few are giving Iran much chance in a group that also includes Argentina and Bosnia-Herzegovina, but Dejagah – who had previously represented Germany at every level up to and including Under-21 – is ready to cause some upsets.

"We're not going there expecting to win the tournament but we think we can cause a few surprises," he told Fulham's official website. "It's the fourth time the country has reached the World Cup but they've only ever won one game and have never got out of the Group Stages, so it would be great if we could get into the knock-out rounds. I think we have a chance.

"We can go there and play in a relaxed way because there's no pressure on us. It's a difficult group - we face Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Nigeria so it won't be easy - but in football you never know.

"It's the biggest thing to happen for Iran for many years. Hopefully we can do the country proud. We have some good players. There's Reza Ghoochannejhad, a striker who plays at Charlton Athletic, Alireza Jahanbakhsh plays for NEC Nijmegen in the Netherlands and goalkeeper Daniel Davari is at Eintracht Braunschweig in Germany."

It's arguably the pinnacle of any player's career to feature in the greatest sporting event on the planet and Dejagah is set to start for Iran when they take on Nigeria in Curitiba.

"It doesn't get much better for a footballer," said Dejagah, who hit five goals for Fulham in the league last term. "It's a dream for every young player. It's the first World Cup I've played in so I'm a little bit nervous but also very excited.

"The first tournament I really remember was World Cup '94 when Roberto Baggio missed in the penalty shoot-out as Brazil beat Italy.

"I've since watched a DVD of Italia '90 when West Germany beat England on penalties. West Germany went on to lift the trophy. I was only four at the time but my neighbour in Germany knew I liked football so gave me a DVD of the tournament and I watched it a lot of times."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/june/13/dejagah-no-pressure?

WhiteJC

Ruiz: We want to surpass the heroes of 1990

They call him 'The Weasel' for a reason, and it's not just his pointy nose and long neck. Costa Rica's Bryan Ruiz is a slender and active predator.

The road to his first FIFA World Cup™ was rocky, littered with near misses and cruel obstacles. "I worked so hard to get here," the 28-year-old captain told FIFA.com at the team's home base in Santos, a determination deep in his voice. "I fought for it and I won't let it slip away."

As a teenage creative sensation, he was left out of the squad that travelled to Germany 2006 at the very last moment. It was a controversy that rocked his homeland, where he was seen as the most talented youngster to emerge in decades. "I felt a lot of pain about missing that tournament. I felt left out. It hurt me," he said, the ache still somehow fresh.

Four years later, his World Cup dream ended dramatically again. Costa Rica fell short of direct qualification through CONCACAF by a matter of seconds and slender goal-difference, an inter-continental play-off eventually sealing their fate. "To be here now in Brazil as captain is a feeling of true pride," said the playmaker, who spent the latter half of 2013/14 on loan at PSV Eindhoven from Fulham.

We don't sit back; we break forward.
This is a new Costa Rica. Look out,
because we can surprise a lot of people.

Bryan Ruiz

The cynical among us might say Ruiz's long wait to play in the World Cup has been in vain. The Official Draw for the tournament sent Costa Rica into a brutal group alongside three former champions in the form of Italy, England and Uruguay. But for a man used to adversity, raised by a single mother on the impoverished outskirts of San Jose, he sees only opportunity among the doomsday predictions.

"You want to play the best teams," said Ruiz, a popular player at Craven Cottage. "That's how you know it's the World Cup. We're playing against three world champions. What's better than that?"

Up first for Los Ticos is a team Ruiz knows all too well: Uruguay. "They beat us four years ago in the play-off," he remembered, reliving the 2-1 loss suffered over two legs. "So we have history with them. They beat us and then went on to the semi-finals of the World Cup in South Africa while we watched from home on our sofas."

Tico spoilers?
Aside from being Costa Rica's best player, a truly creative and unpredictable force, Ruiz is earnest. It comes through in the way he carries himself, the way he talks. Thin and wiry, he's both fragile and sturdy. He is the leader of a small team set to take on some of the world's biggest stars; the likes of Wayne Rooney, Andrea Pirlo and Luis Suarez to name but a few. Ruiz is defiant too.

"Everyone is talking about the other teams in the group," he said, a pride welling in his voice. "They're looking at us like we're lucky to be here, like we're here to be beaten. That's fine. This takes the pressure off. It's good for us. They can have all the pressure."

Under coach Jorge Luis Pinto, Costa Rica have become what Ruiz calls "a modern team." There's a balance between defence and attack rarely seen in previous Costa Rican sides, traditionally slow-moving and hyper-technical.

"We play with a five-man back-line, but we're not defensive," said Ruiz, who is likely to play as a second striker behind hot young No9 Joel Campbell. "We don't sit back; we break forward. This is a new Costa Rica," he said, dreaming of the possibility of a shock result against Uruguay, or the impenetrable fantasy of besting the Italians or English. "Look out, because we can surprise a lot of people."

A place in the second round, in the coveted knockout stages, is on the Tico captain's mind near the blue waters of Santos. The last time – the only time – Costa Rica managed that was in 1990, in their first World Cup. Ruiz, who's waited too long for his debut, hopes for even more. "They were heroes, but we want to go even further," he said, steely, respectful and impatient all at once. "We want to write a new history."

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2014/m=6/news=ruiz-we-want-to-surpass-the-heroes-of-1990-2368651.html?

WhiteJC

Trotta Set to Leave

Press reports indicate that our Italian U21 international, Marcello Trotta, is set to leave Craven Cottage.

Initially, the theory being peddled around Craven Cottage was that Brentford had enquired about the strikers availability, on a permanent deal, only to be told that Felix Magath wanted to take a close look at what the striker could offer Fulham in the Championship next season.

Now it would appear that there has been a change of mind and that Fulham are inviting offers to be made for the striker who, whilst on loan at Brentford last season, scored 13 goals in 40 games as Brentford clinched promotion form League One into the same division we`ll be occupying next season.

But, with Trotta looking to get away as there has been reportedly, no offer of a contract extension beyond next summer, Brentford are now turning their noses up at the suggestion of a deal.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=361091#ixzz34XWoLIIX

WhiteJC

Good Luck Roy and Ray

And so it all appears to have gotten underway!

Last night, in Brazil, the 2014 World Cup finally got under way with the hosts beating Croatia 3-1, although it has to be said that the standard of refereeing left a lot to be desired (especially that dodgy penalty).

Nevertheless, back on home shores the optimism levels are rising and the belief is starting to grow that perhaps England just might surprise a few people in this World Cup.

For once, the intense pressure that seems to blight our campaigns isn`t there and instead there`s the feeling that success would be a bonus rather than a necessity.

Tomorrow night (Saturday), England will face Italy in their first group match of the 2014 World Cup. Here at Vital Fulham we`d like to take this opportunity to wish two people we know so well, Roy Hodgson and Ray Lewington all the best as they attempt to outwit those who see England as cannon-fodder in this World Cup.

Beware Gentleman Roy, if anyone can pull off the unexpected he can, just think back to that marvellous Europa League run he was behind, a run that saw us grace the final.

Keep believing folks, nothing is impossible in this game!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=361094#ixzz34XX0z6VM

WhiteJC

World Cup 2014: Costa Rica's Bryan Ruiz has England in his sights

Bryan Ruiz may have tasted disappointment at Craven Cottage but he doesn't expect Costa Rica to be the kind of whipping boys that Fulham became in the Premier League.

Judging by the way their hotel in Fortaleza was besieged by chanting fans, their supporters share the Costa Rica captain's hope that, by the time they face England for the final Group D game, they still have something to play for.

"Playing against England in the last game of the group will be special for me after my time at Fulham," said Ruiz (above), who finished a poor season by being loaned out to PSV Eindhoven. "It is a dream I have waited my whole life for, but it has to be more than this. We have got to believe we have a chance of making the last 16, and everything in the first two games has got to be about making sure we are still in the World Cup when we play England."

Costa Rica are not expecting to face Luis Suarez in their opening game against Uruguay in the Estadio Castelao. He returned to training yesterday but his knee is unlikely to be risked.

Diego Forlan did not train yesterday because of a stomach upset, but the 35-year-old is expected to start alongside Edinson Cavani against a Costa Rica defence missing the Deportivo Saprissa wing-back Heiner Mora, who suffered a stress fracture of the heel in training.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014-costa-ricas-bryan-ruiz-has-england-in-his-sights-9535314.html

WhiteJC

LUFC Fulham make bid to sign McCormack

Leeds United have reportedly received a £5 million bid from Fulham for striker Ross McCormack.

Reports broke earlier today that a championship club had made a bid for McCormack, who was the leading goalscorer in the Football League last season with 28-championship goals and Sky Sports are saying that the bid came from Fulham, who were relegated from the Premier League at the end of last season.

Derby County, Norwich City and Newcastle United have also been heavily linked with the 27-year-old Scottish international in recent weeks.

Leeds owner Massimo Cellino is reported to be considering the bid for McCormack who he valued in excess of £6m recently.

Read more: http://www.leeds.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=361112#ixzz34a6pApPO

WhiteJC

Fulham stars Rodallega, Mitroglou and Karagounis to do battle as Greece take on Colombia
HUGO RODALLEGA is praying his Fulham team-mates don't wreck Colombia's World Cup dream.

ROD'S READY: Hugo Rodallega is ready to take on his Greek Fulham team mates in today's game [GETTY ]

Rodallega's Colombia face Greece today.

But the striker has warned his team-mates to beware of Giorgos Karagounis and Kostas Mitroglou.

Rodallega said: "We have to take care of Giorgos Karagounis - he's an experienced player and he's not scared of anything.

"He controls the game in the middle of the park, and he's skipper of the national team.

"And, of course, they have Kostas Mitroglou, too. He is an unbelievable striker."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/world-cup-2014/383768/Fulham-stars-Rodallega-Mitroglou-and-Karagounis-to-do-battle-as-Greece-take-on-Colombia

WhiteJC

cmg

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 14, 2014, 04:42:39 AM

Fulham stars Rodallega, Mitroglou and Karagounis to do battle as Greece take on Colombia
HUGO RODALLEGA is praying his Fulham team-mates don't wreck Colombia's World Cup dream.

ROD'S READY: Hugo Rodallega is ready to take on his Greek Fulham team mates in today's game [GETTY ]

But the striker has warned his team-mates to beware of Giorgos Karagounis and Kostas Mitroglou.

Rodallega said: "We have to take care of Giorgos Karagounis - he's an experienced player and he's not scared of anything.

"He controls the game in the middle of the park, and he's skipper of the national team.

"And, of course, they have Kostas Mitroglou, too. He is an unbelievable striker."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/world-cup-2014/383768/Fulham-stars-Rodallega-Mitroglou-and-Karagounis-to-do-battle-as-Greece-take-on-Colombia

What a wonderful piece! Reads almost as if the author thinks that young Hugo will actually be taking the field against Greece. It could not possibly be that the piece has been written without actually checking that he is even in the squad, could it?

Still, we can all go along with the statement that Mitroglou is 'an unbelievable striker.'

Nero

Quote from: cmg on June 14, 2014, 08:07:29 AM

What a wonderful piece! Reads almost as if the author thinks that young Hugo will actually be taking the field against Greece. It could not possibly be that the piece has been written without actually checking that he is even in the squad, could it?

Still, we can all go along with the statement that Mitroglou is 'an unbelievable striker.'

What I will be disappointed in is if old Giorgos plays nearly 90 mins for Greece in every game of this world cup and what he could have done for us last season if we played him more.

HatterDon

Quote from: Nero on June 14, 2014, 01:13:29 PM
Quote from: cmg on June 14, 2014, 08:07:29 AM

What I will be disappointed in is if old Giorgos plays nearly 90 mins for Greece in every game of this world cup and what he could have done for us last season if we played him more.

He'd have made us look even slower and less worthy of appearing in the Premier League.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

mullers

Love his black and white glasses, they match his shirt.