Previous topic - Next topic

rusty shackleford

General

Just come on for Aus against holland.

twang

Quote from: westcliff white on June 18, 2014, 06:32:51 PM
Quote from: twang on June 18, 2014, 06:28:40 PM
Quote from: MJG on June 18, 2014, 06:08:46 PM
Well you have answered it yourself, only five strikers covering first team and u21's. Need another one or two, and out of them I would expect at least one to go on loan.
I don't see Dembele quite in matchday squad yet, a short loan spell or at least another dozen u21 games and I'll be happy to see him involved.
I see no downside on trying to get the Aussie lad and also another experienced striker.

What are you on about? The first team is the one that matters and if a player is good enough to step up, the club won't be saying 'Oh, but he can't. Because who would play in the youth team then?'.
i thought thy did exactly that last year when Dembele went to the US for the dallas cup

Yeah, okay. If the options are a place in the stands for the first team or starter in a short youth tournament, then it's realistic.

Craven Mad

If he's bad we won't want him. If he's good we'll want him, but he'll get interest elsewhere. Catch 22.

westcliff white

Quote from: twang on June 18, 2014, 06:37:08 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on June 18, 2014, 06:32:51 PM
Well you have answered it yourself, only five strikers covering first team and u21's. Need another one or two, and out of them I would expect at least one to go on loan.
I don't see Dembele quite in matchday squad yet, a short loan spell or at least another dozen u21 games and I'll be happy to see him involved.
I see no downside on trying to get the Aussie lad and also another experienced striker.

What are you on about? The first team is the one that matters and if a player is good enough to step up, the club won't be saying 'Oh, but he can't. Because who would play in the youth team then?'.
i thought thy did exactly that last year when Dembele went to the US for the dallas cup

Yeah, okay. If the options are a place in the stands for the first team or starter in a short youth tournament, then it's realistic.
he would actually of played in my opinion as the tournament was just after the stat he made during the run in last season. but I still think we should be looking to give our young oness squad places and looking for experience to go with that
Every day is a Fulham day

MJG

the first team is not all that matters. Its about having a full squad where even u17's can move through the ranks.
But at the moment if you say Dembele is a first team squad player we have no u21 strikers. I'm just saying that signing a 21 year old Aussie is just going to add to the squad that's all. You seem to think that Dembele is full squad now never to darken the u21's again.

But yes we also need to be looking at 16-19 year Olds as well.

fulhamfever

What are your thoughts on Mathew Leckie I thought he played well for Australia really good Midfielder

jmh

Quote from: fulhamfever on June 18, 2014, 07:09:13 PM
What are your thoughts on Mathew Leckie I thought he played well for Australia really good Midfielder
Per his Wikipedia page he was just transferred in May; doubt he'd be available.

simplyfulham

fulhamben

Quote from: jmh on June 18, 2014, 07:15:47 PM
Per his Wikipedia page he was just transferred in May; doubt he'd be available.
he looked pretty decent tonight.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

lamby

Great speed. Great at getting round defenders. Made the Chile defenders look slow and flat footed. Terrible passing & scoring - and he has improved in this area. He tried to 'body' the ball in from a cross. If that was Cahill we (aus) would have got a point today

lamby

Quote from: lamby on June 19, 2014, 04:33:31 AM

Great speed. Great at getting round defenders. Made the Chile defenders look slow and flat footed. Terrible passing & scoring - and he has improved in this area. He tried to 'body' the ball in from a cross. If that was Cahill we (aus) would have got a point today

That other unknown, Cahill I think his name was, looked handy. I wonder if he is available :-)

Parkway Drive

Been watching his progress for years so I'd love if this pulled through haha but bias aside he's fast, can run for days and a good finisher. If I had to draw a comparison I'd say he'd sort of play like Woodrow. Definitely one of the players in line to take Cahill's spot for Australia when he's done.

http://youtu.be/l7fCI2yKvpA

Crita

I live in Newcastle and am a season ticket holder with the Newcastle Jets, and my first thought when I heard Fulham were interested in signing Taggart was that I didn't think he would cut it at Championship level. I could be wrong, but I don't think he'd be a better option than Woodrow or the other young options we've got up front.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Crita on June 19, 2014, 06:32:26 AM
I live in Newcastle and am a season ticket holder with the Newcastle Jets, and my first thought when I heard Fulham were interested in signing Taggart was that I didn't think he would cut it at Championship level. I could be wrong, but I don't think he'd be a better option than Woodrow or the other young options we've got up front.

But he doesn't have to be. He just has to be an addition to the squad. The season is a long one and I have no doubt we are going to go for better strikers. But we need a squad and if he should sign he will be just that. Poor old Woodrow and Dembele or whoever else we think will last the Championship  need help.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Craven Mad

Sounds fairly promising, and a goal every 135(ish) minutes last season is pretty good, but I get the feeling he'd fall into the "Orlando Sa/David Elm" category of Fulham strikers, rather than the "Louis Saha/Brian McBride" end of the spectrum.

We don't tend to have much luck buying backups - they're usually just a waste of wages.

cmg

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 19, 2014, 10:34:18 AM
Sounds fairly promising, and a goal every 135(ish) minutes last season is pretty good,

...which is just what that young Italian lad did at Brentford last season (133)

Apprentice to the Maestro

To be fair to him it wasn't a great cross, neither on the ground nor head height and hit too hard.

the nutflush

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on June 19, 2014, 11:08:04 AM

To be fair to him it wasn't a great cross, neither on the ground nor head height and hit too hard.

Was a terrible cross.  Oar has been pretty average in his first two games.  I wouldn't blame Leckie for not scoring.  Leckie has just re signed with a second division German club.  He wont be going anywhere.  Taggart was clearly the standout striker in the A League last season.  A good cheap option.  And he's only 21 not 23.  His rapid improvement in the A League suggests he can make a name for himself in the Championship.  From all reports he has a great attitude too. 

jmh

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 19, 2014, 10:34:18 AM
We don't tend to have much luck buying backups - they're usually just a waste of wages.
You've gotta have backups though, and they don't play for free.  And certainly there's value in having decent ones - think Kasey Keller, for example.  You just can't *overpay* for them in our position.