more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (18/06/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 17, 2014, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Millwall's academy director turns down Fulham approach

ACADEMY boss Scott Fitzgerald has turned down the chance to join Fulham.

Fitzgerald was named Lions youth team manager in 2007 and became academy director in 2012.

Lions boss Ian Holloway confirmed that there had been an approach from the Cottagers but says that Fitzgerald is a vital member of his staff.

Holloway told the club's official site: "I'm delighted that Scott, our academy director, has decided to stay with us in spite of a very good offer from Fulham.

"He is vital to us because he is doing an excellent job, setting the standards for our young players and bringing them through.

"I think he shares my vision for the future of this club and will take great pride in every one of his boys who makes it into the first team."

http://www.newsatden.co.uk/36961-millwalls-academy-director-turns-down-fulham-approach.html?

WhiteJC

Obituary: Martin Goldthorpe

The Club was saddened to learn this morning of the death of long-time Fulham fan Martin Goldthorpe.

Martin never failed to miss a game, regardless of its location, and made every effort to attend all pre-season fixtures.

Furthermore, he sacrificed his spare time to work closely with the Club's Communications department and was our official photographer for Under-21 and Under-18 matches.

Providing the youth game did not clash with the First Team, you could guarantee that Martin would be there with his camera.

Our thoughts are with Martin's family and friends at this sad time.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/june/17/obituary-martin-goldthorpe?

WhiteJC

Fulham lead chase for Leeds hitman as Cardiff rule out £9m move

Cardiff are NOT in the race to sign Leeds United striker Ross McCormack, leaving Norwich, Fulham and Derby to fight for his signature.

The 27-year-old scored 29 goals in what was a turbulent season on and off the pitch for the Yorkshire side.

That has seen him targeted by a host of clubs looking to boost their striking options.

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer was reported to be lining up a £9million bid for the Scot four years after the Bluebirds offloaded him to Leeds for £350,000.

However, talkSPORT understands Solksjaer, having recruited Adam Le Fondre, Federico Macheda and Javi Guerra this summer, is happy with his forward options and is looking to strengthen his squad elsewhere.

Fulham, Norwich and Derby all remain keen on McCormack, however, and are set to step up their interest in the prolific hitman.

Relegated Fulham are understood to be leading the chase for his signature, having already held extensive talks with Leeds about a deal.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/fulham-lead-chase-leeds-hitman-cardiff-rule-out-ps9m-move-14061796782#ftyhYAyV20OdAhSS.99

WhiteJC

Fulham Away Days

With the 2014/15 fixture list set to be announced on Wednesday morning, we take a look at where Fulham will be heading to on their travels in the coming season.

The shortest journey fans can expect to make will be to Griffin Park (pictured), where local rivals Brentford reside just 5.4 miles west of Craven Cottage. The commutes to southern neighbours Charlton Athletic and Millwall will be brief, too, with the clubs located 14 and nine miles away, respectively.

The new campaign will also see Fulham visit two grounds for the first time. Brighton & Hove Albion and Rotherham United have each relocated since the Whites last visited in the 1990s, and so the Amex and New York Stadiums will host their maiden Fulham games this season.

During our 13 years in the Barclays Premier League we faced no less than 15 of the sides we'll be taking on in 2014/15. Of course, Carrow Road and the Cardiff City Stadium were visited by the Fulham faithful last season, while it's slightly longer since we made journeys to the likes of Birmingham, Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, Derby, Ipswich, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Reading, Watford, Wigan and Wolverhampton, as well as the aforementioned Charlton.

It's some 15 years since we faced AFC Bournemouth in a competitive fixture, and this season's visit to Dorset will no doubt appeal to fans, especially if it falls within a summer month. The excursion to Dean Court is one of three trips to seaside towns, along with Brighton and Blackpool.

Boro's Riverside Stadium is the greatest distance from the Cottage at 250 miles, while the most easily accessible ground as the crow flies – London derbies aside – is Watford's Vicarage Road at just 22 miles away, with Reading's Madejski Stadium slightly further afield at 38 miles.

Huddersfield Town away will evoke happy memories for Fulham fans who went to our last match at the John Smith's Stadium – then known as the McAlpine – when a late Luis Boa Morte goal in April 2001 confirmed promotion to the top flight for Jean Tigana's men.

Our meetings with Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday will be our first in the league since that Division One title-winning season, although we have visited both the City Ground and Hillsborough since – beating Forest in the League Cup and enduring mixed fortunes against Wednesday in each of the domestic cup competitions.

Our recent Fan of the Year votes demonstrated the dedication boasted by the Fulham faithful, and those supporters who manage to take in all 23 away matches in the Sky Bet Championship this season will likely travel at least 3,000 miles in total.

Be sure to check back to fulhamfc.com at 9am on Wednesday morning for the 2014/15 fixture list in its entirety.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/june/17/fulham-away-days?

WhiteJC

Besiktas want Fulham striker on loan

Beşiktaş are preparing an offer for Fulham striker Kostas Mitroglou.

The Black Eagles are planning to replace Portuguese international Hugo Almeida who is expected to leave this summer with the Greek international.

Fulham signed the Greek international striker for £11 million from Olympiakos last January however, a series of injuries restricted him to just three appearances.

The 26-year-old still has four-years left on his contract but is unsure about his future at Fulham.

"I do not want to talk about next season," Mitroglou said.

"I prefer to stay committed to the national team and the big summer ahead.

"It is a big honour to play in a World Cup and I want to be committed to this feast of football."

Beşiktaş finished the 2013-14 season in third-place and are managed by former Croatia national team manager Slaven Bilic.

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=6029

WhiteJC

Stekelenburg Latest!

Yesterday we reported on how the media were insinuating that Fulham were quire prepared to off-load our Dutch keeper, Maarten Stekelenburg, if they could recoup the £4 million paid to AS Roma for him.

Today it would seem that there is an interested party quite aware that our relegation means we have to trim the wage bill.

However, it would see this interested party is looking to take advantage of our situation and pull a fast one.

Seemingly, Sevilla are looking to get Stekelenburg on a free transfer so the fee they might have paid can be poured into the wages pot.

I hope we tell them to take a running jump!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=361333#ixzz34uff6oFz

WhiteJC

McCormack Update

Recently we`ve been covering Fulham`s apparent desire to bring the prolific Leeds United striker, Ross McCormack, to Craven Cottage.

We`ve mentioned how the fee offered has, supposedly, increased from £5 million to £7 million but that an unnamed club had, in fact; offered Leeds £9 million for their 27 year-old Scottish international striker.

Well, it appears, the unnamed club is Cardiff City with it being reported this morning that the Welsh club, who suffered relegation like us last season from the Premier League, have agreed to pay that very fee for a player they let go for the princely sum of £350,000 some four years ago.

Some you win and some you lose!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=361335#ixzz34ufra0Zz

WhiteJC

I'm going nowhere! Felix Magath insists he won't walk out on relegated Fulham
FELIX MAGATH has committed his future to Fulham despite the Cottagers' 14-year spell in the Premier League coming to an end.

SORRY: Magath has apologised to the fans after Fulham's relegation [ACTION IMAGES]

The former Bayern Munich boss has been unable to turn around the west Londoners fortunes, and their relegation to the Chamionship was confirmed after yesterday's 4-1 loss at Stoke.

The German took charge at Craven Cottage in February on an 18-month deal after replacing Rene Meulensteen.

And Magath says he wants to stay at the club, and lead them back to the top flight at the first time of asking.

"I don't think to do anything else except stay at Fulham and build up a new team - that was the idea when I came here," he said.

"It is clear we have to change something, I want to have success with Fulham in the next years. I will talk about the situation with the owner and we will start to come back."

Magath laid into his side after their tame surrender at the Britannia.

Peter Odemwingie, Marko Arnautovic, Oussama Assaidi and Jonathan Walters all netted for the hosts, with Kieran Richardson bagging a consolation for the doomed Cottagers.

Magath took his share of the blame, but also blasted his squad for their lack of desire.

He said: "You saw no fighting spirit and therefore I think they felt too much pressure.

"I apologise for not managing the situation because I was convinced we would stay in the league but we are relegated."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/377354/I-m-going-nowhere-Felix-Magath-insists-he-won-t-walk-out-on-relegated-Fulham

WhiteJC

We're so sorry! David Stockdale thanks Fulham fans for their support despite relegation
DAVID STOCKDALE says Fulham fans deserved better than relegation.

The Fulham keeper praised the loyal supporters who stuck with them to the bitter end.

That came at Stoke on Saturday when woeful Fulham would have been buried by a cricket score but for Stockdale's heroics.

He said: "We were one of the worst teams in the league. It is major credit to the fans.

"They were 80 per cent of the way to dragging us through the season. It has been tough for everyone and we will feel it for a long time.

"If I could answer what has gone wrong I could be the manager or chairman. We need to dissect things and look into what has gone wrong."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/377496/We-re-so-sorry-David-Stockdale-thanks-Fulham-fans-for-their-support-despite-relegation

WhiteJC

Trotta happy with Italian link
Fulham striker Marcello Trotta says several clubs in his native Italy are interested in him following his return to Craven Cottage from loan.

The 21-year-old from Santa Maria Capua in southern Italy spent last season with Brentford, his second spell with Fulham's west London near-neighbours.

He scored 12 goals to help the Bees win promotion from League One, and while unclear whether he has a future under Felix Magath, he admits the option of a move back to his homeland pleases him.

"I'm happy with my season at Brentford and for the promotion in the Championship. My loan is finished and Fulham have summoned me for the pre-season that will begin next week," he told tuttomercatoweb.com.

"I have not yet talked with the executives to understand what the club want to do with me. I know that in Italy many teams are interested in me and that makes me happy. Together with my agents I will evaluate the offers. "

http://www.football365.com/fulham/9352215/-?

WhiteJC

GILLS SIGN MIDFIELDER JOSH PRITCHARD

Gills sign former Manchester United trainee Josh Pritchard on a two year deal from Fulham

Peter Taylor has added to his squad with the signing of midfielder Josh Pritchard.

The 21-year-old joins the Gills on a two-year contract after leaving Championship side Fulham following a five year stay.

He began his career at Manchester United as a trainee but quickly sealed a move to Craven Cottage following his release in the summer of 2009.

Despite his best efforts he was unable to force his way into first team consideration at Fulham, and in the 2012/13 season he was loaned out to Norwegian Club, Tromso.

He made 25 appearances in total before returning to Fulham, but re-joined the club last season where he made a further three appearances.

One of which was in the Europa League against Tottenham at White Hart Lane where Spurs inflicted a 3-0 defeat on the visitors.

Later in the season he joined Finnish club FC Honka where he made five appearances and scored once, that coming in a match against FC Lahti in May.

Josh has featured on several occasions for Fulham's U21 side, and his performances at home and abroad have earned him four caps for the Welsh U21 international team.

His most recent game coming against England where Wales were unfortunate to slip up in a 3-1 defeat.

He becomes Gillingham's fifth signing of the summer with Doug Loft,Jermaine McGlashan, Aaron Morris and Glenn Morris being the other four.

Peter Taylor said: "He's been at two very good football clubs for quite a while. He's a very good passing midfield player that can play defensive aswell.

"He's very highly recommended from people I know and trust - he's not known over here because he hasn't played much Football but he knows it's time for him to get playing league Football.

"I think he sees the opportunity from us as a good one."

We will bring you a full interview with Josh on the official website shortly.

Read more at http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/article/gills-sign-pritchard-june-17-1647390.aspx#wkwV9iwX0A6LLiBU.99

WhiteJC

Online Store Update

We are pleased to announce that we will be launching a brand new redesigned online store on the Club's official website in July.

The current online store will remain active until the close of play on Monday 23rd June – at which point the Final Whistle Sale will also come to an end, so be sure to grab your bargains before then.

This does, however, mean there will be a period where fans will not be able to purchase retail products online. Supporters will be able to continue shopping at the Stadium Store at Craven Cottage, though.

Upon launch, the new online store will display our brand new 2014/15 Home Shirt. Details of when the new online store is due to go live will be revealed on fulhamfc.com in due course.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/june/17/online-store-update?

WhiteJC

Looking back: Fulham's opening-day fixtures

Whites face life in the second tier for the first time in 14 years

Millennium man: Hayles scores against Crewe in 2000

The last time Fulham opened a Championship season it was day one of the Jean Tigana reign.

More than 11,000 fans gasped as they watched a brand of French-inspired flair for the first time against hapless Crewe in 2000 that paved the way to a record 101 points and the Premier League.

It was only 2-0 over Alex, goals from Barry Hayles and Louis Saha, but this writer doubts the opposition had 20 per cent possession as the ball pinged all over Craven Cottage and back again.

The dour 5-3-2 football demanded by previous manager Paul Bracewell might have been a 1,000 light years before.

In recent memory, the last time the Whites were among clubs facing second-tier football was back in 1985.

They beat Leeds 3-1 in the opener, and then plummeted out of sight to finish rock-bottom, relegated, and nine points behind second-last Middlesbrough.

Manager Ray Harford left to be replaced by Ray Lewington. Whatever happened to him?

Last season, they also won the opener, 1-0 away at Sunderland, and who would have guessed what was to follow?

Before that, they thrashed Norwich 5-0 in 2012, drew 0-0 with Aston Villa and Bolton in the two seasons preceding, and won 1-0 at Portsmouth in 2009-10, goal from Bobby Zamora.

Under Roy Hodgson, there's a World Cup thread here, they memorably made the final of the Europa League that campaign before losing 2-1 to Atletico Madrid.

So, not a single goal against in five years: what chance a sixth as Fulham face the likes of Bournemouth and Birmingham?

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/looking-back-fulhams-opening-day-fixtures-7280731?

WhiteJC

Fulham to make an improved £6million bid for Leeds United striker Ross McCormack

Fulham are poised to make an improved £6million bid for Leeds United striker Ross McCormack.

They previously had a £5m bid rejected on Monday.

Having been relegated from the Premier League at the end of last season, the West London club are hoping to bring in some fresh blood in hope of escape from the Championship at the first time of asking.

Targeted: Fulham want Leeds United striker Ross McCormack for £6million

Finisher: The Scottish international scored 28 goals in 43 games for Leeds last season

Fulham's strikers struggled badly last season, with Dimitar Berbatov leaving in January, and £12million signing Kostas Mitroglou failing to score after being signed as his replacement.

They have now targeted the Scottish international who scored 28 goals in 43 Championship games for Leeds United.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2660613/Fulham-make-improved-6million-bid-Leeds-United-striker-Ross-McCormack.html#ixzz34xVx3ZRr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook