watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A little bit of light on the Dempsey v. Harkes quarrel

Started by Steve_orino, June 07, 2010, 10:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_orino

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/3002102/Dempsey-fury-over-lazy-tag.html

HITTING BACK ... Clint Dempsey
Dempsey fury over 'lazy' tag -
By SIMON VENESS Published: Today

CLINT DEMPSEY is ready to make England pay on Saturday for a long-running feud with his AMERICAN critics.

The Fulham and US forward - who played two games for New England in 2004 with a broken jaw - has won over an army of fans in West London.

But he is sick of being labelled slow and lazy back home.

He has maintained a row with TV pundit John Harkes since a narrow World Cup qualifying win at Trinidad and Tobago last year, when the former Sheffield Wednesday star questioned his commitment.

Dempsey said: "I pride myself on stepping up on the big occasions.

"You can question my effectiveness but you can't question my heart and my effort.

"People who aren't educated about the game are going to take whatever a commentator has to say as the complete truth.

"And that's not always the case. That's just their opinion.

"I really don't want to get into how I'm perceived in the Premier League versus in the US.

"But I'm respected in Europe for what I do week in and week out on the highest level.

"In big games, I always come through."
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

YankeeJim

Can't argue much with Clint's comments.

We should all realize that John Harkes is as much loved by the American football community as John Terry is in your land. Sure, he has his supporters but overall he is considered a self serving, egotistical buffoon.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

timmyg

Quote from: YankeeJim on June 08, 2010, 01:39:40 AM
Can't argue much with Clint's comments.

We should all realize that John Harkes is as much loved by the American football community as John Terry is in your land. Sure, he has his supporters but overall he is considered a self serving, egotistical buffoon.

Who also had sex with a teammates wife.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

AmericanJames

He's a complete muppet,  it's unfortunate that ESPN got rid or Wynalda, he might have been a bit brash but i always enjoyed his commentary
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Steve_orino

Quote from: AmericanJames on June 08, 2010, 05:36:03 PM
He's a complete muppet,  it's unfortunate that ESPN got rid or Wynalda, he might have been a bit brash but i always enjoyed his commentary

Funny, I didn't like Wynalda because of his brashness.  After having to put up with Harkes though, I would welcome back Wynalda with open arms!!!

I recall hearing Harkes saying something about Demps being 'lazy' in last years Gold Cup and it surprised me.  It was just earlier that I'd seen Demps work his tail off to earn a spot in the 08-09 Fulham starting XI after having lost it to Zoltan.  I thought Harkes was nuts...
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09