watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Observation and query

Started by HatterDon, June 26, 2014, 05:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

We have one of the best leagues in the World. We have one of the best Grand Slams in tennis in the World, if not the best. So we tend to be spoilt with sporting entertainment even though much of it is from non British players. So from time to time we think we should be able to compete at the highest level. The fact we don't and we were once the best always comes as a shock. So as Brits we blame ourselves and our players.

Other Countries are happy to blame failure on everybody else.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

The problem is that the rest of the world has learned the rules of all the games we invented (football, cricket, Rugby, tennis etc etc) however complicated we tried to make them and have got better at them than us.

The solution is quite simple, we just have to invent another game, make it as complicated as possible and we can be the best in the world again for a while until everyone else catches up. Or, like the yanks did, invent games that hardly anyone else wants to play and call it the "world series"!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

YankeeJim

The criticism of the English national team is something that I have never quite understood. Part of it is that if you competed as great Britain how much better would you be? Its a crime that some one like Bale will likely never see a WC. Him on on side and Sterling on the other....would be fun to watch.
I also think that this year's squad would have won the group last time around. You drew a tough group & the succession of games could not have been worse. Had they been in reverse, you likely would have progressed. As it was, you met two opponents when their confidence was at the max and the other when they were desperate.
There is always luck in any competition such as the WC and England just didn't get any this time around.

As we say in baseball, "just wait until next year". Hope springs eternal.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.