watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

WCF: Group G: Germany-Ghana-Portugal-USA

Started by Moderati, June 16, 2014, 03:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

So if I understand correctly we have several players that have to be careful all through the round of 16? 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

FortCollinsFulham

Quote from: jmh on June 26, 2014, 07:29:55 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on June 26, 2014, 07:19:11 PM
As to cards: do they drop at the start of the round of 16 or continue to accumulate? If so, is it two games in a row or two total?
Does anyone know?
They're cleared after the quarterfinal (the logic being that they don't want players to miss the final if they get a second yellow in the semifinal); you get a suspension for two total yellow cards regardless of whether they're consecutive.

So hypothetically, if Jones got another yellow in the round of 16 game and the US managed to win, he would miss the final 8/quarter final game?
'Cause I'm already gone, if you bet on me you've won.

Up you Whites

love4ffc

My understanding is that once the teams reach the semifinals, their slate is wiped clean. This will prevent what happened to Germany back in 2002, one of their players got a yellow in the semifinal but missed the final because of a yellow card in a previous round. So a player will no longer miss a final because of a yellow in the semifinal.

Again if I understand it correctly if Jones (or one of our other players who currently has a yellow) gets another yellow in the 2nd round it won't matter.  The slate is wiped clean starting in the quarter semi-final.  

jmh

Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on June 26, 2014, 07:39:02 PM
Quote from: jmh on June 26, 2014, 07:29:55 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on June 26, 2014, 07:19:11 PM
As to cards: do they drop at the start of the round of 16 or continue to accumulate? If so, is it two games in a row or two total?
Does anyone know?
They're cleared after the quarterfinal (the logic being that they don't want players to miss the final if they get a second yellow in the semifinal); you get a suspension for two total yellow cards regardless of whether they're consecutive.

So hypothetically, if Jones got another yellow in the round of 16 game and the US managed to win, he would miss the final 8/quarter final game?

Correct, as would Beckerman or Gonzalez.

Forever Fulham

I'm proud of my national team right now.  They never gave up, never quit. They were more tired than the Germans with one day's less rest.  Hey, when you play in the swamp of Manaus, that extra day means a lot!  They played with courage.  Off the ball movement was superior.  Passers could find targets.  I just wished they led the runners better with passes in front of them, rather than sometimes at or slightly behind them.  Better passing against Portugal, I think, but the Germans were a better opponent.  Hell, they were expected to be in the finals, and the U.S. only lost 1-0.  And Klose has to eat some crow, having been unable to fulfill his guarantee of scoring against the U.S. today to stand alone as World Cup goals leader.   Some of those German players were really tall.  Yet, did anyone notice how many headers the U.S. won over their taller opponents?  Timing and sheer determination.  Who is this Yedlin kid?  He can flat out fly.   He is really fast.    But the real story of this game was the team defending and how the U.S. badgered and pestered and got right up in the grille of the ball carrier and often cheated a double team to get a possession coughed up.  I saw real guts out there.

Maybe the German American contingent on the team had a chip on their shoulders this game.  Something to prove to Loew, to their clubs, detractors.  Once again, Jermaine Jones came to play, big time.  Well done, you over achievers.  Do they really have to play Belgium next? 

Deanothefulhamfan

I would fancy your chances against Belgium, who in my eyes had a very bad group and somehow scraped to a win in each game....

Jermaine Jones and Bradley boss it for you in central midfield which is where I think you will be stronger against Belgium.... Loving this WC except for England obviously

Logicalman

Good game today for the US, showed fight and spirit against a superior German team. I wish my other country players had shown half of that want-to-win, but that's the beautiful game for you.

So, we get past the Belgians and we are up against Argentina/Switzerland, seems a good prospect to me, especially the red card for Belgium today.

Also looks like I've converted a bunch of Yanks who swore to have no interest in the USMNT or the WCF - we have the matches playing live on the big screen in the office now, and also the break room.  I knew I'd win them over  :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

love4ffc

Quote from: Logicalman on June 27, 2014, 03:50:43 AM
Also looks like I've converted a bunch of Yanks who swore to have no interest in the USMNT or the WCF - we have the matches playing live on the big screen in the office now, and also the break room.  I knew I'd win them over  :005:
Good to hear.  The more we covert the better off the US will be.  We'll done.   :wine:

MayoDomo

I went to Grant Park against Portugal and wore my Fulham McBride shirt, people loved it! Anyway we need more chants than the  "We Believe" one. It's unbearable after 60 friggin times.
For Fulham News, Opinions, and Streaming Updates Follow me at https://twitter.com/MayoDomo!

cmg

Congratulations to the USA. Skill, guts and attitude. Always willing to have go.
"If you don't buy a ticket, you can't win the raffle."

Meanwhile in the other match Ghana kicked-off with Boetang and Muntari already on the plane home after various 'incidents' and $3.6m in cash being (illegally) flown into the country to head off a players strike.

The 'Talent x Crazy' award has already been eaten up for this WC - but Sulley Muntari is always a good each-way bet.

HatterDon

Quote from: cmg on June 28, 2014, 02:02:07 PM
Congratulations to the USA. Skill, guts and attitude. Always willing to have go.
"If you don't buy a ticket, you can't win the raffle."

Meanwhile in the other match Ghana kicked-off with Boetang and Muntari already on the plane home after various 'incidents' and $3.6m in cash being (illegally) flown into the country to head off a players strike.

The 'Talent x Crazy' award has already been eaten up for this WC - but Sulley Muntari is always a good each-way bet.

Muntari needs to be dealt with by Ghana's FA. He was already banned from match 3 due to yellows. His squabble with Boateng is even more puzzling for that reason. He hurt his club with three separate offenses in two games and one practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxGgnI6kCrs
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cmg

Quote from: HatterDon on June 28, 2014, 05:44:59 PM

Muntari needs to be dealt with by Ghana's FA. He was already banned from match 3 due to yellows. His squabble with Boateng is even more puzzling for that reason. He hurt his club with three separate offenses in two games and one practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxGgnI6kCrs

I should think he's about done, now. Plenty of 'previous' and a distinct propensity for sticking one on those who upset him. Not actually in the Barton, Ferguson, Billy Martin class but you wouldn't want to knock his beer over in a crowded pub. [Actually he'd have to be minding the beer for someone else as I think he eschews alcohol on religious grounds. Unlike Barton, Ferguson and Billy Martin!]