Main Menu

Stefan Velkov

Started by peckyboy, July 05, 2014, 09:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on July 05, 2014, 02:52:10 PM
Quote from: cmg on July 05, 2014, 02:41:14 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on July 05, 2014, 12:10:53 PM

I would find it hard to believe anyone would prefer dembele's and hyndman's over more roberts and williams. You cant beat grooming your own into a pro

Nothing personal, but I would have to take issue with this statement.

In Roberts, Hyndman, Dembele and George Williams we have an Englishman, an American, a Frenchman and a Welshman. None of them hatched out at Motspur Park. Roberts came in 2011 from AFC Wimbledon, the same year that Hyndman arrived from Dallas, the next year we got Dembele from PSG and Williams from MK Dons. They have all received, therefore the exact same input into their development from Fulham FC, exactly the same grooming. They are all equally 'ours' or 'someone else's'. The only difference is in their nationality and I am sure there is no suggestion that any discrimination should exist on that basis.

The only advantage in having British players is that, for some reason, they seem to fetch more if sold to the domestic market. But we don't want to be selling any of them, do we?

So wanting to see english players play for fulham means im discriminating? Ive never heard anything like it.

You've never read anything like it, either.

Still, I am gratified that the idea would distress you.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: cmg on July 05, 2014, 03:02:18 PM

I would find it hard to believe anyone would prefer dembele's and hyndman's over more roberts and williams. You cant beat grooming your own into a pro

In Roberts, Hyndman, Dembele and George Williams we have an Englishman, an American, a Frenchman and a Welshman. None of them hatched out at Motspur Park. Roberts came in 2011 from AFC Wimbledon, the same year that Hyndman arrived from Dallas, the next year we got Dembele from PSG and Williams from MK Dons. They have all received, therefore the exact same input into their development from Fulham FC, exactly the same grooming. They are all equally 'ours' or 'someone else's'. The only difference is in their nationality and I am sure there is no suggestion that any discrimination should exist on that basis.

The only advantage in having British players is that, for some reason, they seem to fetch more if sold to the domestic market. But we don't want to be selling any of them, do we?

So wanting to see english players play for fulham means im discriminating? Ive never heard anything like it.

Read/heard same meat just different gravy. Believe me im not racist in any way, wanting to see english players given a chance. I cant see whats wrong with that. I havent pinpointed any nationality in particular and mean no offense. It would just be nice to see us field a team with more english players.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

crazycottager

We still haven't signed him, the club has nothing on him

HillingdonFFC

Posted on TFI that he hasn't signed yet, other clubs in talks, if true we all may have jumped the gun on this one

tslyon

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on July 05, 2014, 03:25:07 PM
Quote from: cmg on July 05, 2014, 03:02:18 PM

Read/heard same meat just different gravy. Believe me im not racist in any way, wanting to see english players given a chance. I cant see whats wrong with that. I havent pinpointed any nationality in particular and mean no offense. It would just be nice to see us field a team with more english players.

dannyboi, I can understand you sentiment.  I'm American and I take no offense.  It is your domestic league and you want to cheer for homegrown players.  Makes perfect sense.  Unfortunately, and I have written this somewhere before, your league is no longer yours alone.  The FA and specifically the Prem, has become the worlds' league.  Kids these days dream of playing in your country, not mine.  Your success has become your point of contention.  By and large, the best players (obviously not all of them), want to ply their trade against the best.  And guess what, they play in England and Wales (most of them anyway).  So, if I want to play against the best, I need to figure out how to get picked to play in a few select British cities.

I also think this is having a negative impact on your homegrown development.  Fewer and fewer spots are available to your kids and the dream of playing in London or Manchester is even more hard to come by.  You taught the world the game and have spent the last couple of decades developing a slew of amazing players.  Problem is, if you revert to a more domestic league, does the quality of player drop off?  On the long run, what does that do to English football?  I'm not the smartest of guys, so I definitely do not have a good answer.

With that diatribe done, all I can offer is enjoy the league, and find personal joy when one or two of the local kids do well and make a name for themselves.

Cheers,

Steve   

Deanothefulhamfan

Great post by tyslon..... This is the exact reason why our national team are suffering as well

Holders

Quote from: God The Mechanic on July 05, 2014, 02:02:17 PM
I guess your right. It doesn't feel like we even bother scouting lower english leagues though. We take the easy route. If you look hard enough there are some talents out there. Look dwight gayle for example, he was non league about 3 years ago. Rickie lambert has made it from nowhere. There must be a couple we could give a chance too.

You mean the likes of Smalling, Stockdale, Burn, the kids we got from MK Dons or AFC Wimbledon, Woodrow was from Luton, the new centre back from Scotland who's English.  We've signed plenty of younger players from lower level English/British football over recent years.  We've also signed a fair few form abroad too.

Gordon Davies from Merthyr, John Mitchell from Tonbridge, Barry Hayles from Stevenage (all if my memory serves me right). All pretty successful - ah, but Ivor wasn't English...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Jims Dentist

Wasnt Mitchell from St Albans,  and I think we signed Hayles from Bristol Rovers?

Putney

Not really bothered where the first team come from. I do care however where the youth team come from and fundamentally disagree with foreign players being in the academy. I don't care how good they are, it's wrong. The knock on effect not just for English players but for foreign clubs who receive little, if any, compensation is detrimental to the game.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Putney on July 06, 2014, 09:16:04 PM
Not really bothered where the first team come from. I do care however where the youth team come from and fundamentally disagree with foreign players being in the academy. I don't care how good they are, it's wrong. The knock on effect not just for English players but for foreign clubs who receive little, if any, compensation is detrimental to the game.
[quote autjhor=Putney link=topic=40486.msg550390#msg550390 date=1404677764]
[/quote]

You're on the same wavelength as me although im not too bothered about what foreign clubs receive for the player. Unless a player is a special talent i dont.like to see anyone from good to awful in.our academy. Theres enough english kids to give a chance to. I'd be very proud if we could create what southampton have. If walcott had been fit they would of had lambert as a player and shaw lallana walcott and the ox as graduates. Outstanding. They also took a chance on clyne and rodriguez who could easily get there with a decent new season. Plus others. Cork, ward prowse, chambers. Very impressive. I was excited at the amount of times fulham was mentioned with players at this world cup. Imagine how saints fans felt. We should be aiming for that, hyndman and dembele dont give us that satisfaction but thats not to say im not excited to have them. Our academy works wonders, lets just try and blood a few more english.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

DevonFFC

Did we miss bale is that list of players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: ollienixs on July 06, 2014, 10:09:44 PM
Did we miss bale is that list of players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bales not english but yes another british talent they produced. If they can do it then why cant we?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]