more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (11/07/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 10, 2014, 06:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Brede Hangeland: Tough guy Felix Magath 'battered' us

BREDE HANGELAND says Fulham manager Felix Magath "mentally and physically batters players" and "made things worse" in their relegation fight.

Brede Hangeland has hit out at Fulham manager Felix Magath[STUART ROBINSON]

Hangeland was axed by the Cottagers following their drop for the Championship and said: "He [Magath] is very difficult to work with. He has a reputation of being a very strict manager - which he is.

"His main tool is to mentally and physically batter his players and then hopefully he gets some results out of that.

"Is that the right fit for English football? I don't think so. I thought that rather help us try to avoid relegation I thought he made things worse and harder for us.

"I don't think he is the right man [for the job]. Things will get worse before they get better.

"What is happening now at the top of Fulham is very disconnected and far from the Fulham I know and the fans know."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/487791/Brede-Hangeland-Tough-guy-Felix-Magath-battered-us

WhiteJC

Leeds United: All parties happy with Ross' move to Fulham –Lorimer

Transfers like Ross McCormack's always get a bit fractious towards the end but when the dust settles, all sides will probably be quite happy with the deal.

Leeds United got a huge fee for him – more than his true value I'd say – and in no way was it a bad move for Ross. Fulham won't want to hang around in the Championship for long and he's got a four-year deal on, I'm sure, a very decent wage. At the age of 27 you've got to be happy with that level of security.

In terms of football he's a big loss to Leeds or a big loss on last season's form anyway. Go back over his years at Elland Road and it wasn't all about him and his goals but he kept us afloat last season, there's no question of that. His finishing was quality, he stepped up whenever we needed him to and we'd have been dead and buried without him up front. Let's not rewrite history.

Would I have liked a 30-goal striker to stay at Leeds? Of course I would. But I'm firmly of the view that when a player wants to go – and there's no question in my mind that Ross wanted to leave – it makes no sense at all to reject decent offers and force him to stay.

It's never a good thing to have unhappy faces in the camp and that's especially true at a time when we've got a new head coach finding his feet and trying to settle in. It would have been great for David Hockaday to have Ross available to him but what a new boss really needs is unity and contentment in the dressing room. It's fair to say that Ross had to go.

How well he'll do elsewhere remains to be seen. It's been a bit of a mixed bag for the various lads who have moved on from Leeds over the years. Robert Snodgrass has grown in stature and Bradley Johnson got a few years of Premier League football at Norwich City. But it doesn't seem like Jonny Howson has developed as he might have done and Luciano Becchio is being completed wasted at Carrow Road. As for Jermaine Beckford, he's gone off the boil too.

At stages in your career you're forced to take decisions and to gamble with your future and it sounds like Ross was unconvinced about what's been going on at Leeds. We've seen massive changes in the past six months and there's been a lot of trouble in that time. To be fair to him, he maybe feels that as things stand Fulham give him a better chance of getting to the Premier League quickly. I guess we'll see in time.

I'm not going to pretend that everything at Elland Road is rosy and I won't claim either that we're in great shape with Ross gone. Let's be honest, the squad is weaker than it needs to be in a few areas and up front you're talking about a group including Matt Smith, Noel Hunt, Steve Morison and Dominic Poleon.

Smith made good strides last season and I'm looking forward to seeing him progress again. Hunt probably feels like his career with Leeds is still to start properly. Poleon's a young lad and Morison is an unknown quantity – a strange signing so far but someone who I still feel can make an impact here.

From what I can gather, Morison didn't find it easy to settle when he first came. He lives down south and I think he was doing a lot of travelling from the Norfolk area. I've done that drive a few times myself and it's a nightmare. If he was on the road regularly, I don't imagine the mileage he wracked up helped him to feel at home in Leeds.

I've watched him a few times over the years, most regularly with Millwall, and I do see a good player there. In form and in the right frame of mind, he'd bag you a fair few goals in the Championship. It seems like Leeds want to use him next season and I hope Morison proves to be a signing who comes good in the end. It can happen – just look back at how McCormack recovered from a pretty ordinary first year at Leeds.

It doesn't change the fact that new players need to arrive but we have to take a dose of reality as well. The chaos at Elland Road last season set us back four or five years. Maybe the people who were running the show had good intentions but they clearly didn't understand how football clubs work. The place was a shambles and we suffered because of it.

Things had to change. You can't afford to make massive monthly losses and we needed someone to pull us out of the crap. Mr Cellino seems to have capital but he also has the right idea in trying to cut down the wage bill.

We're a second division club and the truth is that most players in this league are second-rate in comparison to the Premier League. That's not an insult, just a fact. How we ever came to the stage where players in the Championship get paid £20,000 a week or more I'll never know but it's high time somebody reeled it all in.

That doesn't mean you have to show no ambition. It just means you have to stop being daft with money. The times are changing at Leeds and we all need to get used to that fact – the players included.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/leeds-united-all-parties-happy-with-ross-move-to-fulham-lorimer-1-6720852

WhiteJC

Pajtim Kasami leaves Fulham - relive his best moment in a white shirt

Pajtim Kasami. (Photo by Tony Marshall/Getty Images)

Pajtim Kasami has left Fulham and joined Olympiakos for an undisclosed fee.

Kasami amazing Volley goal - Best goal of the season -

The 22-year-old has struggled to establish himself at Craven Cottage.

His highlight in a white shirt was a sensational goal against Crystal Palace in the 4-1 win at Selhurst Park.

That game was the best moment of the Whites' campaign that ended in relegation.

Fulham have moved to sign full back Konstantinos Stafylidis from Bayer Leverkusen as Felix Magath rebuilds his squad for the Championship.

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/pajtim_kasami_leaves_fulham_relive_his_best_moment_in_a_white_shirt_1_3677957

WhiteJC

Away Days: Millwall

Every morning for 23 days we'll be providing a bite-size profile of our upcoming opposition in the 2014/15 Sky Bet Championship season. Next up is Millwall.

Date: Saturday 21st February

Recent history: Following their promotion back to England's second tier in 2010 through the Play-Offs, Millwall did well initially and secured a 10th-place finish in their first season, but they have flirted regularly with relegation in the three campaigns since. Just four points separated them from relegated Doncaster Rovers in 2013/14.

The manager: Ian Holloway, appointed January 2014

Player to watch: Fred Onyedinma, midfielder

Marathonbet odds for the title: 50/1

Head-to-head record: Fulham 15, Millwall 11, Draw 10

Previous meeting: Fulham 4-1 Millwall (Kevin Betsy, Barry Hayles, Kit Symons, Steve Finnan; Paul Shaw) Division Two, April 1999

By train: London Bridge – South Bermondsey (approx. 4 minutes)

Five who played for both: Maik Taylor, Hameur Bouazza, Barry Hayles, Matt Lawrence, Tony Warner

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/10/away-days-millwall?

WhiteJC

Huddersfield Town set to swoop for former Fulham defender Matthew Briggs

The 23-year-old has the versatility which appeals to manager Mark Robins

Town target Matthew Briggs battles with Marlon King
Huddersfield Town are being strongly linked with former Fulham and England Under 21 full-back Matthew Briggs.

It seems the out-of-contract 23-year-old left-sided player is set to swap Wandsworth, his birthplace, for West Yorkshire in another boost for Mark Robins.

Town's boss has already landed right-back Lee Peltier.

Now Briggs, who took Town striker James Vaughan's record, set with Everton, as the youngest ever Premier League player when he faced Middlesbrough on Teesside aged 16 years, 65 days in May 2007, looked destined for the club.

It's believed he has been at PPG Canalside for talks and he has said he is "looking forward to the new challenge waiting for me up North".

Briggs is primarily a left-back, but like Peltier, can also play as a centre-back in a three or in midfield.

That type of versatility appeals to Town, who have been linked with a number of left-back since the end of last season.

Briggs, who would provide competition for Scotland international Paul Dixon, has made 22 starts and seven substitute appearances for Fulham.

Seven of those starts were in the Premier League, the first against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in November 2010.

Briggs made 10 Europa League appearances in 2011-12 and scored his sole Fulham goal in the 3-1 win over Crusaders in Belfast.

He has had loan spells at Orient, Peterborough, Bristol City and Watford, where he played alongside current Town midfielder Jonathan Hogg in a team which reached the Championship play-off final.

Also eligible to represent Guyana, Briggs played for England at Under 16, 17, 19 and 20 level and made his Under 21 debut in the 6-0 win over Azerbaijan at Watford in September 2011.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/huddersfield-town-set-swoop-former-7401061?

WhiteJC

Kostas Mitroglou or Ross McCormack: Who will lead the line for Fulham?

With two international strikers on their books, how will Fulham incorporate the attacking talent of Kostas Mitroglou and Ross McCormack into their team?

Head coach Felix Magath has a varied history in terms of how he uses his forwards. His spell with Stuttgart saw a lone striker used, with an alteration between 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3, before settling on a lopsided 4-4-2 - with one striker sitting deep as a playmaker.

Whilst leading Bayern Munich to the Bundesliga title in 2005, he deployed a striking partnership of Roy Makaay and Claudio Pizarro in front of a four-man midfield diamond - a formation he then continued to use at Wolfsburg.

However, by the close of the 2011/12 season, the German coach had turned Wolfsburg completely into a 4-2-3-1 outfit - preferring the tactical solidity that one out-and-out striker brings.

He carried his modern day preference for a lone striker into his regime at Fulham. Since taking over in February 2014, Craven Cottage has witnessed a mixture of 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-1-1 used exclusively - with Darren Bent or Hugo Rodallega leading the line.

The Cottagers defeated East Fife 3-0 on Saturday in their first pre-season friendly, and they once again used only one striker - with 17-year old academy prospect Moussa Dembele sitting ahead of an attacking midfield two.

Considering the low level of opposition, and Magath's desire to hold the same defensive shape, it appears apparent that the 60-year old German has no intentions of switching back to a striking partnership for the upcoming Championship season. Whilst using only one striker is commonplace nowadays, it throws up something of a conundrum for Fulham - who have recently signed last season's top scorer Ross McCormack for a fee believed to be of around £11 million.

For the fee paid, many believe that McCormack - who netted 28 times in the Championship last season - should be a guaranteed starter as the Cottagers search for an immediate return to the Premier League. However, Greek international Kostas Mitroglou - who has suffered a period of ignominy since signing in January - will be looking to kick-start his career with a successful season in the second division.

If one is to argue that the Greek Super League is of a higher quality than the Sky Bet Championship, then it is hard to see past 26-year old Mitroglou as deserving the starting role in Magath's team. In 12 games last season for Olympiakos, Mitroglou scored an incredible 14 goals - a record that takes his career tally for the Greek club up to 41 goals in 86 games. It was this scoring record that piqued the interest of a host of Premier League clubs - and had Fulham fans fawning upon his arrival.

However, his career in West London was blighted by injury, and in the three Premier League appearances he made last season - two of which were as a substitute - he failed to score. He registered just 7 shots on target - 2.3 per game - and failed to play a single key pass or complete a successful dribble.

Former Leeds captain McCormack showed the same form in Yorkshire last season as Mitroglou did in Greece, scoring regularly for a struggling Leeds side. His 28 league goals totalled 47% of the Whites entire output, and even when not scoring, he was proving a valuable creator - assisting a further eight goals.

The 27-year old found ways to impose himself upon every match, recording 3.1 shots per game, as well as playing an incredible 2.3 key passes per game - the third highest in the entire division.

Despite being able to also feature in an attacking midfield role, as well as on the left side of midfield, McCormack's greatest contributions come when playing as an out-and-out striker - and it is unlikely that he would be happy to sit on the bench following his high profile move.

Both Mitroglou and McCormack offer an exciting prospect to Fulham fans for the upcoming season, who will believe that the striking talent in their team will be enough to secure an immediate return to the top flight. However, with Felix Magath's devotion to a lone striker, it appears as if one may miss out on a spot in the first-team. Although rotation is an option, neither player will be happy with no guarantee of their importance to the team, and an unhappy player never performs to the top of their abilities.

Whatever the answer to fill the team with the striking talent on offer, Magath has surely got a tough, problem filled month ahead of him.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/07/09/bhkostas-mitroglou-or-ross-mccormack-who-will-lead-the-line-for/?

WhiteJC

Aston Villa to sign Fulham's Kieran Richardson
Kieran Richardson expected to complete medical inside next 24 hours and become Aston Villa's third signing of the summer

Moving on: Kieran Richardson (right) is set to join Aston Villa Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Aston Villa are set to sign Kieran Richardson from relegated Fulham in what will be Roy Keane's first significant contribution as assistant manager.

Richardson is expected to complete a medical inside the next 24 hours and become Villa's third signing of the summer.

With only a year remaining on his contract, it is believed Villa are only having to pay a small fee for the 29-year-old.

There was also interest from Crystal Palace in Richardson, but Keane's influence is thought to have swayed his decision to move to Villa Park.

Richardson first got to know Keane as a youngster and Manchester United and then played for the Irishman at Sunderland.

The pair have remained close and Keane is thought to have driven Villa's move after being appointed as manager Paul Lambert's new assistant at the start of the month.

Richardson's favoured position is on the left side of midfield, but he can also play at left-back where Villa are short.

Ryan Bertrand has gone back to Chelsea and is set to move to either Liverpool or Tottenham after spending the second half of last season on loan at Villa.

Richardson will follow central defender Philippe Senderos and midfielder Joe Cole to Villa Park.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/10959434/Aston-Villa-to-sign-Fulhams-Kieran-Richardson.html

WhiteJC

Rangers 4-2 Fulham: Gers see off Cottagers

GOALS from Lewis MacLeod, Kenny Miller, Nicky Law and Nicky Clark gave Rangers a 4-2 victory over English Championship side Fulham at Murray Park this afternoon.

A strong Rangers side started the match, with Cammy Bell between the sticks, and a back four of Richard Foster, Lee McCulloch, Bilel Mohsni and Lee Wallace, while in midfield David Templeton made his first pre-season appearance.

Youngster Ryan Sinnamon played part of the second half, replacing Wallace after 66 minutes.

Kenny Miller put the Ibrox side ahead following Mohsni's knock-down from Fraser Aird's corner, before Moussa Dembele headed Fulham back on level terms.

On the 20 minute mark, Lewis MacLeod - in his first game since January - restored Rangers' advantage with a 25-yard drive, but Colombian striker Hugo Rodallega levelled for the London club from 15 yards.

Rangers boss Ally McCoist made four changes at half time, including Steve Simonsen, back training with the club following the expiration of his one-year deal, and Callum McGregor.

Nicky Law put Rangers ahead for a third time, before making way for Kris Boyd, while half time substitute Nicky Clark made it four following clever play from Kyle Hutton.

Rangers set off for north America this weekend, with games against Ventura County Fusion, Sacramento Republic, Victoria Highlanders and Ottawa Fury.

But Scotland international Don Cowie will not be joining Ally McCoist's squad after signing a deal with Wigan Athletic. The 31-year-old had turned down the offer of a new deal from Cardiff City.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/rangers-4-2-fulham-gers-see-off-cottagers-1-3472895

WhiteJC

Fulham news and transfer rumours: Cottagers join race for Sheffield United defender

Londoners lining up £3million bid for highly-rated centre-back

Waving goodbye? Harry Maguire has been linked with a move away from Bramall Lane

Fulham are preparing a £3million bid for Sheffield United defender Harry Maguire.

The centre-back is also a target for Hull City and Wolverhampton Wanderers, but the Blades don't want to sell.

Fulham added Greek defender Kostas Stafylidis on a season-long loan deal from Bayer Leverkusen this week as Felix Magath continues his squad rebuilding at Craven Cottage.

And the German chief is also planning a move for highly-rated Blades star Maguire, according to the Daily Star.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-join-wolves-hull-city-7401256?

WhiteJC

Young Lion Roberts in pre-season action for Fulham

Patrick Roberts has been handed a chance by Felix Magath

England Under-17 international Patrick Roberts was in action for Fulham on Thursday as they were defeated 4-2 in a pre-season friendly with Rangers.
Having made his Premier League debut for the club last season before helping his country to win the European Championship in May, Roberts was handed a start in the behind-closed-doors encounter at Murray Park as he looks to establish himself in Felix Magath's first-team squad.

Midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe, a former England U18 international, also started the club's second game of their Scottish tour.

Moussa Dembele, who starred alongside Roberts in Fulham's run to The FA Youth Cup Final last season, scored the first of the Cottagers' goals with Hugo Rodallega netting the other.

Under-21 striker Cauley Woodrow is also with the squad north of the border, scoring in the 3-0 victory over East Fife on Saturday, as Magath looks to give the youngsters a chance to impress.

Scott Parker, who won 18 caps for England, told FulhamFC.com: "The gaffer is working us hard and the boys are looking sharp as a result.

"There are a lot of young boys in the squad so they're eager to impress and there are a few new signings as well who are looking to show what they can do.

"There are a lot of opportunities for everyone in the squad and that makes it a good environment for everyone."

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2014/jul/england-u17-forward-patrick-roberts-starts-for-fulham-v-rangers-100714?#rxFo5yZEQ6IKC2Hj.99

WhiteJC

New Season, New Chapter, New Kit

These are exciting times for Fulham fans, and with striker Ross McCormack leading a host of new signings, it promises to be a season to remember.

With all that to come, now's the time to be part of our future - and become part of our history - with the all-new 14/15 Home Kit.

Taking inspiration from early shirts with the two tone stripes, whilst introducing infrared trim to add a unique touch of modern styling, London's Original's Home Kit is available to buy from fulhamdirect.fulhamfc.com and the Stadium Store now.

Also recently launched is the new season's Training Range, which has got you covered whether you're out on the pitch, in the gym or simply resting at home. Each piece uses Climate technology, keeping you cool and providing heat and moisture management at all times.

Show your colours at all times and shop the Training Range here and from the Stadium Store.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/10/new-season-new-chapter-new-kit?

WhiteJC

Paul Lambert to snap up Fulham defender Kieran Richardson on free transfer for Aston Villa
KIERAN Richardson is set to complete a move to Aston Villa in the next 24 hours.

The left-back has been allowed to leave Fulham on a free transfer as the relegated Cottagers attempt to slash their wage bill.

Richardson had also been on West Brom's radar but will complete a medical with Paul Lambert's side today.

The Villa boss was eager to strengthen in the left-back department after Ryan Bertrand's loan from Chelsea finished at the end of the season.

Joe Bennett and Antonio Luna have been signed in the previous two summers but neither have impressed.

Richardson, by contrast, is a proven performer at top-flight level and barring any last-ditch hitches will join fellow free transfers Joe Cole and Philippe Senderos at Villa Park.

Lambert is having to box clever this summer after being handed his smallest transfer kitty to date of around £10m with owner Randy Lerner's trying to sell the club.

The American could increase that figure, however, as the prospect of a swift takeover at the Midlands club grows less likely with a buyer still to be found.

Lambert has also put the brakes on a deal for Alan Hutton to join West Brom - despite the right-back having yet to play a game under him in TWO seasons.

The Scotland international was part of the 'Bomb Squad' frozen out by Lambert when he arrived at Villa.

Yet the boss has welcomed the likes of Hutton and Darren Bent back into the fold this summer following talks with Lerner and plans to utilise his entire squad.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/388290/Paul-Lambert-to-snap-up-Fulham-defender-Kieran-Richardson-on-free-transfer-for-Aston-Villa