watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (15.06.10)

Started by White Noise, June 14, 2010, 10:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

West Ham eyeing Fulham star Dickson Ethuh and St Etienne striker Gonzalo Bergessio

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 9:35 PM on 14th June 2010

West Ham boss Avram Grant is monitoring contract talks between Fulham and Dickson Etuhu and has expressed an interest in St Etienne striker Gonzalo Bergessio.

Etuhu, 28, who is with Nigeria at the World Cup finals, has one year left and is hoping for a long term deal.

Argentinian Bergessio, meanwhile, is also interesting Bolton.

The 25-year-old, nicknamed The Bull, is valued at around £4million.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1286577/West-Ham-eyeing-Fulham-star-Dickson-Ethuh-St-Etienne-striker-Gonzalo-Bergessio.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0qrinpecc

White Noise

Just how do you spell the surname of Ghana's No 4? He's known as John Pantsil in England thanks to an error in documents for his 2006 transfer from Hapoel Tel Aviv to West Ham United. But the 28-year-old's surname is 'Paintsil' on his passport. So what did the now Fulham defender have on his shirt in Ghana's opener against Serbia yesterday? Panstil. Can somebody please get this right once and for all.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1286360/Ian-Ladymans-World-Cup-diary-Blow-Evra-just-bad.html#ixzz0qrjjWWrE

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2932/spl/2010/06/14/1975903/celtic-preparing-offer-for-fulham-striker-bobby-zamora?

Celtic preparing offer for Fulham striker Bobby Zamora - report

14 Jun 2010 15:39:00

Celtic are lining up a move for Fulham striker Bobby Zamora, according to the People.

The 29-year-old was in terrific form for the Cottagers last season and has attracted interest from a number of clubs in recent weeks.

Celtic are the latest club to join the race to sign Zamora, with new Hoops boss Neil Lennon keen to make the former West Ham United man his first signing at Parkhead.

However, Fulham are believed to want to keep Zamora, who is valued at £7 million by the Cottagers, while Roy Hodgson remains as manager.

Lennon is reportedly keen on signing a number of English-based players in the summer, with Arsenal's Sol Campbell and former Celtic loanee Craig Bellamy reportedly interesting the Scottish club.

Should Celtic sign Zamora, Fulham are said to be interested in taking Standard Liege's Dieumerci Mbokani to Craven Cottage as a replacement.

Zamora had his best season last year, helping Fulham to the Europa League final, scoring 19 goals in all competitions in the process.

White Noise

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/06/14/show-of-shame-at-eagles%E2%80%99-camp-kanu-etuhu-escape-head-blows-as-officials-clash/

Show Of Shame At Eagles' Camp: Kanu, Etuhu Escape Head Blows, As Officials Clash

Author: pmnews Date: Jun 14th, 2010.

The Federal Government of Nigeria better act fast otherwise the infighting between some officials of the national team may scuttle the progress of the Super Eagles at the ongoing World Cup in South Africa.

P.M.Sports watched in awe, how two prominent officials, ASP Gideon Akinsola, the Camp Commandant and Eagles' Coordinator, Emmanuel Attah exchanged hot words right in front of the players this afternoon.

The show of shame, which lasted for about ten minutes around 1.30 p.m at the entrance of Eagles' Waterfront Hotel camp in Richards Bay, was almost getting into physical blows when Skipper Nwankwo Kanu and Dickson waded into the fracas.

Kanu, who did not feature in Eagles' opening match in Johannesburg on Saturday, almost received head blows as the feuding Akinsola and Attah tried to hit each other in the face.

''Hey brothers, stop this now, what's up now? This is not good for us at this crucial time. Please Etuhu hold Akinsola'', Kanu said as he separated the officials. As Kanu was pushing Attah away from the scene, Etuhu, who plays for English Premier League Club, Fulham urged Akinsola to go to his duty post. Both players, who were on their ways out to the Mall, spent extra minutes to stop the ranting officials, who threatened to continue with the personality clash later.

P.M.Sports investigations revealed that Akinsola and Attah have personality clash and have been fighting over who should be in charge of the squad' daily routine.

Bola Omilabu, The Nation Newspapers Sports Photographer, who witnessed the clash expressed disappointment over the unending crisis between Akinsola and Attah, saying: ''This is too bad for our nation. The officials would have gone into the Hotel to settle the issue quietly instead of disgracing themselves in the presence of the players''.

The FIFA officials and South African security personnel attached to the Eagles also expressed shock at the open crisis.

It would be recalled that Akinsola and Attah had a similar quarrel during the African Cup Of Nations in Angola in January this year.

The officials of Nigeria Football Federation, NFF are yet to react to the crisis, but Kanu promised to take the case to the body before their next training tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Kanu and his teammates spent today, their rest day to visit Shoprite and The Mall in Richards Bay, to do some shopping as the coach wants the squad to get down to serious business from tomorrow ahead of Thursday's second Group B match against Greece.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jun/14/fabio-capello-world-cup-2010

'But what England would give for a screening player performing as Kagisho Dikgacoi of Fulham and South Africa did in the second half of the opening match of the tournament, making shrewd interceptions and timely tackles before releasing the glorious pass that sent Siphiwe Tshabalala in for the goal that set the 2010 World Cup on its way

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/14/yossi-benayoun-chelsea-contract-liverpool

Liverpool are assessing their options to replace Benítez and have not made an official approach to Fulham for Roy Hodgson, who is due to depart to South Africa to commentate at the World Cup. Hodgson emerged as the early favourite for the Liverpool job after the departure of Benítez almost two weeks ago but remains in the dark over the Anfield club's intent. Reports at the weekend claimed the 62-year-old wanted confirmation of Liverpool's interest before leaving for South Africa and would not be used as a fallback option should Anfield officials fail to secure an alternative target.

Kenny Dalglish remains interested in the job despite Liverpool's preference for a manager with more recent experience of Europe and the Premier League. Hodgson does fulfil that criteria, and has support inside the Anfield boardroom, although Liverpool insist that, with players not due back for pre-season training until July, they are under no pressure to rush their search.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/06/14/1976231/birmingham-city-vice-chairman-peter-pannu-spending-spree

Birmingham are still yet to agree a fee with Wigan Athletic over a move for Charles N'Zogbia, while the Blues have also been linked with moves for strikers Bobby Zamora of Fulham and Palermo's Fabrizio Miccoli. 

White Noise

http://www.fansfc.com/story/21794.html

Palermo goalkeeper not an option for Arsenal

02:00 PM 14 June, 2010

Palermo insist Salvatore Sirigu is not for sale, amidst reports linking him with Arsenal Football Club.

Arsene Wenger is in the market for a new goalkeeper this summer after finally losing patience with both Manuel Almunia and Lukas Fabianski.

Fulham's Mark Schwarzer is said to be his top target, but he has also been linked with a move for Sirigu, who impressed after making 32 Serie A outings last season.

However, Palermo insist the 23-year-old is not for sale, and they will be relying on him when they look to gatecrash the top-four during the 2010-2011 season.

"The only goalkeeper on the market is Rubinho, seeing as his place in the squad has been taken by Sirigu, who is not for sale," said President Maurizio Zamparini.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/06/14/1975963/fulham-insist-liverpool-have-yet-to-make-an-official?

Fulham insist Liverpool have yet to make an official approach for Roy Hodgson

Anfield club expected to step up bid before manager heads out to South Africa

14 Jun 2010 18:14:00

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Liverpool have not yet made a formal approach for Fulham manager Roy Hodgson, the London club confirmed today.

As speculation increases that the Merseysiders will open talks with Hodgson before he heads off to the World Cup on Wednesday to act as a pundit for the BBC, Fulham said there has not yet been any contact from Anfield.

"We have had no official approach from Liverpool about Roy Hodgson," a club spokesperson told Goal.com UK.

Although Cottagers owner Mohamed Al Fayed has been quoted as saying he is confident of holding on to the manager, it is expected that Liverpool will step up their search for Rafael Benitez's successor by contacting the 62-year-old before he heads out to South Africa.

But Fayed, who appointed Hodgson in December 2007, believes Hodgson has no reason to leave Craven Cottage.

"I don't think he'll leave me," Fayed said. "I'm sure he'll have lots of approaches from other clubs, but I give him anything he wants to reach results and we have a very good relationship."

Hodgson, who guided Fulham to the Europa League final this season and has previous experience across Europe, including two spells with Inter Milan, has a 12-month rolling contract, negotiated last summer.

However, it contains a clause which allows him to leave a top club for a compensation figure of around £2.5 million.

Despite the expectation that Liverpool's directors will give the green light to approach Fulham, there is a growing clamour among Anfield supporters for club legend Kenny Dalglish to take over for a second spell at the club.

Dalglish, the current club ambassador given the task of helping managing director Christian Purslow to find Benitez's successor, has told friends that he would like the job, although he is not willing to compromise the board in any way by making his interest in the position public.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=7260

The best in the world

by Tor on June 14, 2010

Apparently. Bit dull, isn't it? I hope this is just because the teams are using the first of the group games to find their collective feet. Always helpful for football. If it hasn't picked up by the last of the group games Sepp's getting a strongly-worded letter.

Our boys are doing alright though, aren't they? Kagisho Digkacoi (pronounced Dee-gash-wee according to the offal last week) did a pretty good job in the opening game as Lydia has already pointed out. I didn't catch all of it but I did see him with a decent chance and a some good moves. In fact the player ratings on the Guardian's website have him down as a 6.2, and I think they're based on the general public and not the pundits or meeeeeja types. So that's nice.

Dickson Etuhu was next up and again did a reasonable job against tough opposition. Any team that contains Messi and Tevez at the front is probably enough to strike terror into the heart of any opposition, but Dickson and his compadres fought for 84 or so minutes to contain them and prevent the eventual defeat being a humiliating one.

Then it was THAT game. You know the one. I was holed up in a pub in central London with a fellow Fulham fan, a few England supporters and a group of Americans who – I kid you not – stood up and sang along to the Star Spangled Banner. For those who were watching via ITV HD, Gerrard scored while you were deciding which Hyundai to buy. From what I remember the game was a bit scrappy with a lot of needless fouls and a shedload of yellow cards. But that boy Clint Dempsey scored. Fortuitously perhaps but it's still a goal. And when you've staked one whole English pound on Dempsey getting the tournament's Golden Boot as I have, everything counts. (NB I got 200/1 before the tournament started, the odds have now shortened to 80/1 – go Clint!)

Next up, the ever-smiling John Paintsil who had even more reason to smile after his Black Stars of Ghana defeated Serbia, considered by some to be the dark horse this year, a tad unexpectedly even after they were reduced to 10 men. Cue a JP lap of honour. Where does he get his energy?

Sunday evening will probably be an evening to forget for a few people, not least Mark Schwarzer but actually I think he was really rather unfortunate. The BBC measured the speed of the shot for the first goal and I defy anyone to keep out a ball hurtling towards them at 80-odd miles per hour with one hand. The second was dodgy timing. The third and fourth arguably shouldn't have happened because in my opinion Cahill shouldn't have been sent off, and that wrong decision changed the game. Thing is, how good were Germany? Losing to a team playing that skillfully really shouldn't be considered shameful. Tellingly, in the fabled Guardian ratings Schwarzer was still rated higher than any of his Socceroo teammates.

So the only player still to play is our newbie Philippe Senderos of Switzerland, who face Spain on Wednesday. I'll be watching avidly, and not just because I've got Spain in the office sweepstake. I wonder if he'll feel the weight of the eyes of thousands of expectant Whites fans on him. I was quite surprised by the timing of the announcement that he would be joining us next season as I thought it would all go quiet during the World Cup. I hope it won't distract him as a confident player is a good player, and there's now't more confidence boosting than a great run in the world's biggest football competition.

One last thing, if the tedious, defensive football soundtracked by the horde of angry hornets on the telly is getting you down, have a look at this – Dempsey's goal recreated in technicoloured Lego glory.

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/bougherra_eyes_premierhip_move_532237/index.shtml

Bougherra Eyes Premierhip Move

By Kevin Markey Sunday, 13th June 2010

Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra hopes to put himself in the Premiership shop window against England.

The Algeria international has been linked with Fulham and Arsenal since the end of last season.

And although Algeria's opening match is against Slovenia in Polokwane today, Bougherra admits it is the clash with England a week today in Cape Town which is his biggest ­challenge.

"It can help me," said Bougherra of his career in the UK which also involved stints at Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday. "I play in a big team, I played Champions League so I've learned a mentality change, I want to win every game. It's British football

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=7257

Excuses, excuses...

by gatesy on June 14, 2010

I love rubbish excuses. You know the kind, when somebody is really clutching at straws to explain something and they come up with something truly pathetic. Some of my favourites include an acquaintance of mine who couldn't make it down the pub consecutive weeks due to his front door being broken, his TV was broken, and another when he was locked in his porch (I like to imagine this being like some kind of human zoo scenario with a crowd of his neighbours gorping in at him until his mum came round to rescue him).

But even International players appear to be jumping on the rubbish excuse band wagon. One of my favourites was SAF explaining that we only beat them the other year beacuse our dressing rooms aren't massive, but it appears the England squad are at it. According to Capello's twitter feed  (he posts in an Italian acent, I have no reason to disbelieve its really him) that Robert Green blamed his muff up on the possible appearance of a mole underneath the penalty area, and then this morning, according to the Daily Mail, Emile Heskey blamed his miss on the fact the balls a bit lighter than the ones he's used to.

Now I'm hoping that this is a trend which will continue for the rest of Englands participation in the cup. I'm particularly interested to hear when Rooney blames him going absent for large portions of games on the fact that Wright Phillips put him off by cheating in Eye spy on the coach or when one of the keepers blames his muff ups on playing too much Super Nintendo games... oh hang on a minute...

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/fulham_pursue_fabio_532217/index.shtml

Fulham Pursue Fabio 

By Kevin Markey Monday, 14th June 2010

Fulham are maintaining their pursuit of Liverpool fullback Fabio Aurelio.

The Brazilian comes off contract at Liverpool this month and is a confirmed target for Palmeiras. Fulham are also keen and expected to accelerate negotiations now with manager Roy Hodgson back at his desk following a short summer break. 

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2932/spl/2010/06/14/1975903/celtic-preparing-offer-for-fulham-striker-bobby-zamora?

Celtic preparing offer for Fulham striker Bobby Zamora - report

14 Jun 2010 15:39:00

Celtic are lining up a move for Fulham striker Bobby Zamora, according to the People.

The 29-year-old was in terrific form for the Cottagers last season and has attracted interest from a number of clubs in recent weeks.

Celtic are the latest club to join the race to sign Zamora, with new Hoops boss Neil Lennon keen to make the former West Ham United man his first signing at Parkhead.

However, Fulham are believed to want to keep Zamora, who is valued at £7 million by the Cottagers, while Roy Hodgson remains as manager.

Lennon is reportedly keen on signing a number of English-based players in the summer, with Arsenal's Sol Campbell and former Celtic loanee Craig Bellamy reportedly interesting the Scottish club.

Should Celtic sign Zamora, Fulham are said to be interested in taking Standard Liege's Dieumerci Mbokani to Craven Cottage as a replacement.

Zamora had his best season last year, helping Fulham to the Europa League final, scoring 19 goals

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=7266
Tabloid transfer twaddle

Journalists love the close season. It gives them carte blanche to sit in their offices dreaming up silly stories in the name of transfer speculation.

Here's one I particularly enjoyed from the Daily Mail website:

West Ham boss Avram Grant is monitoring contract talks between Fulham and Dickson Etuhu and has expressed an interest in St Etienne striker Gonzalo Bergessio.

Etuhu, 28, who is with Nigeria at the World Cup finals, has one year left and is hoping for a long term deal.

I'd love to know precisely how the reporter knows Avram's 'monitoring contract talks' between Fulham and Dickson. Has he tapped up Dickson's phone? Furthermore, with the player at the World Cup and the chief executive also out of the country I'd be amazed if talks were in progress at the moment. Etuhu, a regular in Roy's first-choice side when he hasn't been injured, is almost a certainty to be offered a considerable contract extension and is happy at Fulham. That should be the end of the matter.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/mixu-backing-fulham-target-bamba-make-big-move-hibs-908271
Mixu backing Fulham target Bamba to make big move from Hibs

Former Hibs boss Mixu Paatelainen can see Sol Bamba earning a big move away from a successful World Cup.

The Ivory Coast defender is interesting Fulham and has spoken of an approach from Arsenal.

Former Bolton Wanderers striker Paatelainen told the Scottish Sun: "He still has plenty of development ahead of him, but that will happen quickly enough because of the quality of players around him.

"Sol is very level-headed, but that doesn't mean he's not very ambitious. He wants to go as far as he can in football.

"A good World Cup will help him do that and when the time is right he will move on to a higher level. It won't just be down to him, he will need to sit down with his advisors and talk to his club, who will decide what is right for them as well.

"But I am sure he will relish the challenge of playing at the World Cup

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/2m_bonus_for_roy_to_stay_532235/index.shtml
£2m Bonus For Roy To Stay

Fulham are expected to offer manager Roy Hodgson a £2m bonus so he remains in charge at Craven Cottage.

Hodgson is being targeted by Liverpool as they seek a replacement for the departed Rafael Benitez but the Cottagers are desperate to retain the man that led them to the Europa League final last season.

Fulham owner, Mohamed Al Fayed recently made £1.5b after selling department store Harrods so he is cashed up and ready to use his funds to further the London club, beginning with the retention of their boss.

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Birmingham-plot-5million-swoop-for-Italian-ace-Fabrizio-Miccoli-article466959.html

Birmingham are still in the running to sign Fulham defender Paul Konchesky, 29, for around £2m.

And they haven't given up on Wigan's 23-year-old winger Charles N'Zogbia.

White Noise

Brum up Kon bid to £2m

Published: Today

ALEX McLEISH will this week up his bid for Fulham's Paul Konchesky to £2million.

Birmingham boss McLeish had a £1.5m offer for the 29-year-old left-back turned down a fortnight ago.

Middlesbrough will be interested in Brum's DAVID MURPHY if the former Hibernian full-back becomes surplus to requirements.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3014153/Birmingham-up-Konchesky-bid-to-2m.html#ixzz0que9Tl4g

White Noise

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7150153.ece

Should Benayoun complete his move to West London, he could be the first of a number of players to leave Liverpool in what is likely to be a summer of upheaval in the wake of Benítez's exit.

Javier Mascherano is keen to follow the Spaniard to Inter Milan and is learning Italian while on World Cup duty with Argentina. Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres have refused to discuss their futures until after the tournament and are waiting to see if Liverpool can match their ambitions before deciding whether to stay or go.

A number of other players are up for sale, with Liverpool open to offers for Ryan Babel, Albert Riera and Philipp Degen, among others, while Diego Cavalieri, the club's second-choice goalkeeper, is seeking a transfer to secure regular first-team football, having been understudy to Pepe Reina for two years.

It is against this backdrop that Liverpool continue their search for a new manager. Club officials are adamant that they will not be rushed into a replacement for Benítez despite speculation suggesting that Roy Hodgson, the Fulham manager who is widely believed to be their No 1 target, was hoping to be offered the job before travelling to South Africa this week.

Hodgson will be aware that popular support for Kenny Dalglish, his long-time friend, to become Benítez's successor is growing on Merseyside, with the Liverpool legend having made it clear that he would like to be considered for the position.

While Hodgson has not made a decision to leave Fulham, it is understood that he would like to hear what Liverpool have to say.

Liverpool, though, are comfortable with the way that their recruitment process is going, the desire to ensure that they attract the best possible manager available overriding any yearning to make a hasty appointment that they could come to regret.

That leaves Hodgson, who is working as a BBC pundit at the World Cup, in limbo to a degree, unsure whether he will be the subject of the formal approach that had seemed to be inevitable only a week ago.