watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (15.06.10)

Started by White Noise, June 14, 2010, 10:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/football/Forest-hope-persuade-Shorey-drop-Championship/article-2299943-detail/article.html

Forest hope to persuade Shorey to drop into Championship

NOTTINGHAM Forest hope the ambition of the club can see them fight off the advances of Premier League outfits to land Nicky Shorey this summer.

The Aston Villa left-back enjoyed a superb loan spell at the City Ground between November and January, making nine appearances.

Forest won seven and drew twice but after they failed to extend his loan, he went to Fulham until the end of the campaign.

He made 12 appearances in the league and FA Cup but missed out on their run to the Europa League final because he was cup tied, having played for Villa earlier in the competition.

Now Reds manager Billy Davies is desperate to lure him back to the banks of the Trent after seeing how much his side missed the former England international after his departure.

Shorey has just one year left on his deal at Villa Park and is down the pecking order under Martin O'Neill.

And with Paul Konchesky the first choice at Craven Cottage, a return to west London looks unlikely.

Davies has Shorey at the top of his wish list and hopes a chance to play regular football and help in a push for automatic promotion will tempt Shorey to drop down into the Championship.

The defender's hefty wages proved a stumbling block in extending his loan last January.

But it was evident how much Shorey was missed as Forest faltered in the latter stages of the season and in the play-offs.

Julian Bennett is the only recognised left back at the City Ground, and he has not played for 18 months through injury, making it an area Davies wants sorting quickly.

The biggest problem for Forest is Shorey's desire to play at the highest level.

But Davies hopes to persuade him he could make an instant return to the top flight with the Reds.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/15/world-cup-2010-paper-view

More woes for Liverpool: not only is slightly over-rated Fulham boss Roy Hodgson going to become the third manager in a row to serve up stultifying fitba at Anfield – come back, Roy Evans, all is forgiven – they're also about to lose their most creative midfielder, Yossi Benayoun, in a £5.5m deal to Chelsea.

White Noise

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/329153,hosts-hoping-celebrate-nation.html

PREVIEW: Hosts hoping to celebrate with the nation

Posted : Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:33:13 GMT

By : Peter Auf der Heyde 

Pretoria - Kagisho Dikgacoi still has a score to settle with Diego Forlan and is hoping that Wednesday will be pay-back day.

The last time the two met was in May in Hamburg, when Dikgacoi's Premier League club Fulham faced Atletico Madrid in the final of the Europa League.

Although Dikgacoi spent the game on the bench, Forlan's two goals in Atletico's 2-1 victory spoilt what would otherwise have been an ideal start to his career in Europe.

On Wednesday, Dikgacoi will again face Forlan as Bafana Bafana take on Uruguay in a World Cup Group A match at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria.

"We all know that Forlan is a very good striker who will score if he is given the chance, but we do not have to concentrate too much on him, there are also many other good players in the side," the midfielder said.

Ahead of the second round of matches the group is evenly poised, with all four teams having one point after drawing their opening fixtures.

For both Uruguay and South Africa the point secured was not necessarily something they would have expected ahead of the tournament as their opponents - France and Mexico respectively - were considered slight favourites.

Against Mexico South Africa began slowly and were clearly outplayed in the first half, but then were much stronger in the second and took the lead through Siphiwe Tshabalala.

Although veteran Rafael Marquez equalized for the Mexicans late in the game, South Africa go into Wednesday's game full of confidence.

Midfielder Steven Pienaar, who plays his club football for Everton, said that the side will build on the second-half performance.

"The way we played in the second half against Mexico has given us a huge boost," he said.

South African coach Carlos Alberto Parreira is expected to start with the same team that began the second half against Mexico, with Tsepo Masilela taking the place of Lucas Thwala who had some problems against the Mexicans in the first half.

Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez will be without Ajax Amsterdam midfielder Nicolas Lodeiro, who was sent off in their opening match against France.

Tabarez still fancies his side's chances. "All the teams are on the same footing now. The group is evenly balanced and the next games will be crucial," he said.

Wednesday's match will be played on the same day on which, 34 years ago, students in Soweto took to the streets in protest against the use of Afrikaans in schools. The police reacted with brutality and shot at the protesting students.

The demonstrations, which soon spread to other parts of the country and left hundreds dead, unleashed a tidal wave of protest against the Apartheid regime, which the National Party government never quite managed to quell and ultimately led to the release of political prisoners and the unbanning of black political organisations.

June 16 is now a public holiday in South Africa and called Youth Day. South African football officials have said they will play the game against Uruguay in honour of those who died in the struggle against Apartheid.

Although none of the players were born at that time, it is still something they are very aware of.

"It is a big day in South African history, and we as players want to beat Uruguay and take a step closer to reaching the knockout phase and thereby making it a double celebration for our nation," Pienaar said. 

White Noise

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7150157.ece

Decent bets

Steven Mouyokolo has been offered a new four-year contract by Hull City to ward off interest in the central defender from Fulham, among others. Mouyokolo joined Hull from Boulogne last summer

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6207205/Volz-joins-Bundesliga-new-boys?
Volz joins Bundesliga new boys

St Pauli have completed the signing of defender Moritz Volz, who returns to Germany after an 11-year absence.

Volz, who started his career as a 16-year-old with Arsenal, has joined the Bundesliga newcomers after passing a medical on Monday and signing a two-year contract.

He was a free agent after being released by Fulham a year ago.

"I am certain that this club suits me and I suit this club," said the 27-year-old on the club's website.

"I am looking forward to the tasks ahead, the new league and the challenge we face as a team."

Volz is the second prominent name to arrive at St Pauli following their promotion to the Bundesliga.

He joins former Germany international Gerald Asamoah, who has signed from Schalke.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/June/SchwarzerAustraliaRecovery.aspx?
Schwarzer's Rallying Call

Following Australia's heavy defeat to an impressive Germany side in their opening World Cup match, Mark Schwarzer has called on the senior members of the Socceroos squad to provide a calming influence as they look to recover from their 4-0 defeat.

"We have got to forget about the Germany game, as difficult as it is," Schwarzer said.

"We have got to re-group and pick ourselves up and make sure everyone, but especially the senior guys, get together and rallies and make sure we put everything into the next two games.

"Obviously it's a bitter start for us but everyone expected this to happen (the team losing to Germany in the first game) so I suppose we are not in any worse position than people expected us to be.

"It was always going to be tough playing Germany first game, everyone said we were up against it and everyone wrote us off and I suppose that was justifiable given the result was 4-0.

"But we still believe we are good enough to get through and we still believe we can pick ourselves up.

"There is a lot of work to be done but we have enough ability to change things around and we have got two more games to go and for us they are like two Cup finals and we know now we have to win both."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/June/SchwarzerAustraliaRecovery.aspx?#ixzz0quqcjQhF

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1286714/WORLD-CUP-2010-Devastated-Mark-Schwarzer-Australia-Germany-look-better-really-are.html?
Devastated Mark Schwarzer: Australia made Germany look better than they really are

Australia's Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer admitted blame, and conceded he is 'devastated', after his team's 4-0 loss to Germany in their World Cup opener.

Arsenal target Schwarzer is in the spotlight after being shortlised by Gunners manager Arsene Wenger for a summer switch to north London.

But his opening World Cup display did his chances of playing Champions League football with Arsenal next season no good.

Discussing the Germans' second goal, Schwarzer admitted: 'I came out for the ball and I should get it. It is my ball. I have got to take responsibility for that one.

'The match was devastating. It was not what we planned and not what we expected. The end result was very difficult to take.

'One-nil was bad. Two-nil was my mistake. Then there was the sending off and then 3-0. 4-0 kills the game off.'

The 37-year-old keeper, who has one year left on his contract at Craven Cottage, could not explain why Australia were so convincingly beaten.

Schwarzer, who played his club football in Germany with Dynamo Dresden and Kaiserslautern before moving to England, added: 'Where did it go wrong? Good question.

'Germany are a good side but I think we made them look a bit better than what they really are. But they took their chances, albeit a lot of chances, and they deserved to win the game.

'It was always going to be tough playing Germany in the first game. All the experts said we were up against it. They wrote us off and I suppose that is justifiable now with a result of 4-0.  But we believe that we are still good enough to get through. We still believe we can pick ourselves up.'

The former Middlesbrough and Bradford keeper is a senior figure in the Socceroos camp, having won 76 caps since first breaking through in the early Nineties. He admits that a big responsibility is on his shoulders now ahead of 'two Cup finals' for the Aussies as they target a potential second round meeting with England and a chance to repeat their famous win over the same opponents in 2003 at Upton Park.

'Everyone, especially the senior guys, have to make sure everyone rallies and puts it into the next game. You have to use your experience to rally everyone. We have enough confidence and ability in the dressing room. Now, for us, it is two cup finals against Ghana and Serbia.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1286714/WORLD-CUP-2010-Devastated-Mark-Schwarzer-Australia-Germany-look-better-really-are.html?#ixzz0qvXaPl7I

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/6/15/1518740/fulham-and-arsenal-should-just-say?
Fulham And Arsenal Should Just Say "No"-  Opinion

Two teams in the English Premier League have had major stories in the media since the season ended. In the case of Fulham it is interest from other teams in manager Roy Hodgson. For Arsenal it is the speculation regarding Cesc Fabregas. In both cases I don't blame the media for making these situations stories. They are doing their job.

What I want to focus on our the management of both teams. Fulham have an opportunity to improve themselves and continue to build on what they have established last year. Arsenal have a really good chance to win the English Premier League next season. Fulham's manager is under contract. Arsenal's star player Cesc Fabregas is also under contract. My suggestion to both clubs is to just say "no".

Roy Hodgson is currently under contract with Fulham. He has a rolling one year contract. There has been a tremendous amount of media speculation regarding Liverpool having interest in Hodgson. If Liverpool do in fact come knocking I think Fulham just need to say "no".

Why should they let him go? He is under contract. From what I am reading there could be compensation to Fulham from another club like Liverpool if he leaves to become there manager. I don't care. As long as he is under contract he should be the Fulham manager.

Fulham have come so far in such a short period of time. Roy Hodgson has so much to do with it. He has built this club to a point that they got to a Final of a European Competition. Don't you want to see if he can build upon what he has already established?

Listen, I wouldn't blame Hodgson if he had interest in Liverpool. That club is still one of the top clubs in all of Europe. However, the uncertainty of their ownership situation would make me think hard about taking the job. Hodgson might want to take the job. Again, Fulham don't have to let him go. They need to stay strong and just say "no".

In fact, I believe that Fulham should just say "no" when it comes to transfer offers for their key players. Why should Fulham sell a player like Bobby Zamora? Again he is under contract. I don't care if a club offered £20 million for Zamora. I don't think you should do it.

When you have a proven commodity why should you sell it? The money is great but there is that unknown of what you are going to do with it. I have heard the reasoning before that you can buy 3 or 4 players with the money you can get from a high profile transfer target like Zamora. In my opinion it never works. I don't think you replace a key player with a couple of players with potential. You just shouldn't do it.

If Fulham want to have a chance to continue what they have started they need to say "no". Manager Roy Hodgson and players like Bobby Zamora should be a part of the future and not the past. If I could talk to the Fulham management I would tell them not to buckle to the pressure and keep the team in place.

In the case of Arsenal, Arsene Wenger needs to continue to say "no" from Barcelona regarding Cesc Fabregas. Why should they sell him? I don't care if they are offered  £70 million. They should resist the offer.

Fabregas might want to go home to Spain. My answer to that is "tough luck Cesc" you are under contract. I think Arsenal have a chance to win the EPL and possibly take the Champions League. They are a player or two away from taking the team to that level. Why would you take a giant step backwards by selling one of your best players?

How did Manchester United benefit last season by selling Christiano Ronaldo? I think they got  £70 million for him.  Did they win the league or the Champions League? In the long run it could benefit Manchester United, but they took a step back last season.

Arsenal don't need to take a step back. They should be taking a step forward. It is time for Wenger to take his club to the top. You just don't do that by letting Cesc Fabregas go.

In concluding, both clubs have a chance to take their teams forward this upcoming season. It is time that teams' stand up to clubs like Barcelona and Liverpool. In both situations I am hoping they do not give in to the pressure. Fulham and Arsenal should just say "no".

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6207444,00.html?
Dawson asks to leave Dale
Highly-rated defender attracting interest from further up the ladder

Skysports.com understands Rochdale defender Craig Dawson has handed in a transfer request after attracting interest from a higher level.

Dawson has established himself as one of the brightest prospects outside of the Premier League after impressing for Rochdale last season.

The young centre-half was a key figure in the club's promotion to League One and is on a long-term contract at Spotland.

Several clubs have been keeping tabs on the 20-year-old and Middlesbrough have already seen a £400,000 offer rejected.

Fulham and Swansea City are also showing an interest in Dawson, who was named the League Two Player of the Year last term.

It is understood that, following the recent approach from Boro, Dawson has now submitted a request to leave Keith Hill's side.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/big_money_needed_for_mbokani_532322/index.shtml
Big Money Needed For Mbokani

Fulham will have to pay big to get Standard Liege striker Dieumerci Mbokani.

Standard officials were in London last week to meet with Fulham about Mbokani's transfer. And the Daily Star Sunday says Fulham were advised they could sign the prolific forward for £8.2m.

Mbokani has expressed hopes of moving to Craven Cottage, though Standard have also had enquiries from Everton and West Ham United.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1286768/THE-INSIDER-Birmingham-finally-set-sign-Paul-Konchesky-Stoke-weigh-Emile-Heskey-James-Vaughan-options-leave-Everton.html?ITO=1490
THE INSIDER: Birmingham finally set to sign Paul Konchesky, Stoke weigh up Emile Heskey and James Vaughan has options to leave Everton

Paul Konchesky
Fulham to Birmingham - The Insider says: 4/5

The 29-year-old left-back has been set for a switch to Birmingham since the end of the season and the deal should be concluded over the next few days.

Manager Alex McLeish is scouting at the World Cup but hopes club executives can close a deal at around £2million.

Konchesky is moving after failing to get the contract he desired at Fulham and McLeish hopes he can have a similar impact to Stephen Carr on the other flank who has been outstanding over the past 18 months.
Fulham are weighing up various options. Free agent Fabio Aurelio is one while Aston Villa's Nicky Shorey is another but Nottingham Forest have discussed a £2.5m bid for him also.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1286768/THE-INSIDER-Birmingham-finally-set-sign-Paul-Konchesky-Stoke-weigh-Emile-Heskey-James-Vaughan-options-leave-Everton.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0qvcdUnvh

WhiteJC

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_3317_nigeria-camp-focus-altitude-sickness-costs-nigeria.html?
Nigeria Camp Focus - Altitude Sickness Costs Nigeria

Dickson Etuhu spoke out in the Nigeria Camp by criticising the country's inadequate preparation before their 1-0 defeat to Argentina. Despite the fact that the match was played in Johannesburg, the team had trained in Durban until the Friday before the game, whereupon they travelled to Johannesburg. Etuhu argued that this gave the squad insufficient time to acclimatise to the altitude in which they would be playing.

The result was that the team spent the game chasing possession , having only 35 percent of possession in comparison to the 65 percent enjoyed by Argentina. Not having time to acclimatise exacerbated these problems, Etuhu said, because: "You take five or six steps, you feel like you've just done a whole lap." Training in Durban was hardly the preparation needed to face such stars as Lionel Messi, Carlos Tevez and Juan Sebastian Veron. Tactical preparations as well as physical preparations had therefore been hindered. Instead of being fit enough to challenge Argentina man for man, Etuhu felt that Nigeria's inadequate preparation meant that they had to mark space rather than the man. Messi, Tevez et al. were able to terrorise the Nigerian defence as they were not put under sufficient pressure in possession. Little wonder that Nigeria were out gunned by 20 shots to 7, signifying the ease with which the Argentine attack was able to exploit the gaps left as the Nigeria struggled to acclimatise.

In spite of this, Etuhu did have words of praise for his Coach Lars Lagerback: "For the first time in a long time you could see that we had some sort of coaching." Lagerback, he insinuated, had made the best of a bad deal, organising his team in spite of the poor conditions with which to prepare his team in. However, Lagerback himself remained disappointed by the nature of their defeat. In particular, the cause of Gabriel Heinze's winning goal irked him. "We were sleeping on one of the corners and that was enough," he said of the free run Heinze was given on the edge of the area to head uncontested into the top corner. The statistics tell their own story. Argentina's 20 shots yielding the solitary goal speaks less of Lagerback's tactical nous than it does of Vincent Enyeama's heroics in the Nigerian goal. Time and again he thwarted Lionel Messi , two saves from curling Messi shots in the first half drawing particular praise. His performance (he was named the official man of the match) was enough to draw superlatives from the man he most frequently frustrated. "The goalkeeper was phenomenal," said Messi, explaining why his Argentine team could not find the second goal which would have calmed their nerves.

Whilst Etuhu is critical of Nigeria's preparation, Enyeama's acrobatics in goal is not the only reason for optimism in the Nigerian ranks. For the first time in a long time, Etuhu believes that there is an organisation to Nigeria – a game plan and a sense of cohesion. As the game stretched, there were chances on the counter attack for Kalu Uche and Obafemi Martins. There is a belief in the squad that similar opportunities will open up for them against the SouthKorea and Greece, if they play in the same way and eradicate the type of mistake which led to the goal. Haruna Lukman too has been supportive of the influence of Lagerback during the tournament. "We gave a good account of ourselves and will now focus on our next game against Greece," he said. For a team which has seemed at times notoriously disorganised at international tournaments, often to the detriment of the depth of natural talent contained within the squad, these are positive vibes indeed.

Indeed, for the rest of the squad it is now a case of looking forwards to the Greece game, rather than lingering on the problems of acclimatisation brought up by Etuhu. The reality is that Nigeria has lost a match they were expected to lose. There are two games remaining against weaker teams to put that right. These are the matches where Lagerback, initially installed as manager on a five month contract, will define his and Nigeria's future. Two victories and a place in the last sixteen may persuade the Nigerian F.A. to hand him an extended contract. With his Coaching and organisation lauded by the squad, the feeling that he can do just that is optimistic.

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/fulham_join_evaldo_race_532326/index.shtml

Fulham Join Evaldo Race

By Kevin Markey Tuesday, 15th June 2010

Fulham and Aston Villa are keeping tabs on Sporting Braga's Brazilian ­left-back Evaldo. 

Evaldo, 28, has been earning rave reviews in Portugal and has been attracting interest from several top clubs in Europe.

His agent Renato Moura said: "I have been in England and several clubs have ­enquired about Evaldo."

Reports in Portugal suggest the Premier League pair are leading the race to clinch his signature

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6207444,00.html

Dawson asks to leave Dale

Highly-rated defender attracting interest from further up the ladder

By Graeme Bailey   Last updated: 15th June 2010   

..Skysports.com understands Rochdale defender Craig Dawson has handed in a transfer request after attracting interest from a higher level.

Dawson has established himself as one of the brightest prospects outside of the Premier League after impressing for Rochdale last season.

The young centre-half was a key figure in the club's promotion to League One and is on a long-term contract at Spotland.

Several clubs have been keeping tabs on the 20-year-old and Middlesbrough have already seen a £400,000 offer rejected.

Fulham and Swansea City are also showing an interest in Dawson, who was named the League Two Player of the Year last term.

It is understood that, following the recent approach from Boro, Dawson has now submitted a request to leave Keith Hill's side.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=201790
Fulham - Using Our Name in Vain!
Having secured the services of Philippe Senderos last week, we`re incline do to dismiss another rumour doing the rounds today.

It relates to our apparent interest in the Hull City centre back Steven Mouyokolo, with one leading news agency suggesting that Hull have given him a new four year deal to keep him out of our clutches.

With Aaron Hughes, Brede Hangeland and the newly recruited Senderos on the books already and with Chris Baird more than capable of filling in at centre back should the need arise, we reckon somebody has been using our name in vain here, don`t you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=201790#ixzz0qwP1BALU

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=201789
Fulham - How Do They Manage It?
truth sayer ffc has an interesting observation he`d like us to ponder over!

Take it away truth sayer ffc

On the subject of club managers and even international managers without naming any names, can anyone explain why we have the same old ones with the same poor old track records?

They get the boot then get a bumper pay-off then some other club gives them another bumper pay deal!

Anyone spring to mind?

Maybe they should get jobs as MP`s as only one or two know their craft!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=201789#ixzz0qwPLrGVt

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=201792
Fulham - How You Rated the Senderos Signing!

Roy Hodgson sanctioned the first summer signing last week so, during quiet times, we thought it would make an ideal poll question.

Philippe Senderos, a Swiss international, was signed from Arsenal to bolster our defence, but we, here at Vital Fulham, wanted to know if you thought the signing was good news, bad news or whether you`d reserve judgment.

It appears that the vast majority of you back (Sir) Roy`s judgment with 71% of you opting for the first option of good news. Only 16% didn`t rate the signing whilst the remainder, 13% opted to reserve judgment.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=201792#ixzz0qwPrTxPl