more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (13/07/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 13, 2014, 08:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham the club for me - McCormack

Fulham's new signing Ross McCormack said being made to feel wanted was the key factor in his decision to join the Londoners from Leeds.

The 27-year-old departed Leeds under a cloud earlier this week after the two clubs had agreed an undisclosed fee, believed to be B£11million, for the Scotland international. Leeds president Massimo Cellino defended the sale of his club's leading striker by claiming he had been forced into it because McCormack had "disrespected" him. But McCormack chose only to look forward when he told Fulham's official website: "Having spoken to the manager (Felix Magath), very quickly, I realised that this was the club for me. "The transfer took a little longer than I initially anticipated, but I'm just happy to be here now. "I've been with the boys for a few days, and I have to say that I'm really impressed by what I have seen. "I just want to add to the squad and play my part in what I hope will be a successful season ahead. "From that first discussion, I felt wanted. I could tell that they rated me as a player, and that's a big thing. It made a real difference. "There was speculation in regards to other teams, but Fulham was where I wanted to be." McCormack has targeted an instant return to the Barclays Premier League for Fulham. He added: "Of course, it's disappointing that the club went down from the Premier League last season, and as a result, you could say that this is a new era now - it's a period I'm very much looking forward to being part of. "It's an exciting challenge and promotion is very much the target."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/leeds-united/fulham-the-club-for-me---mccormack-1732932.html?

WhiteJC

McCormack First Interview

In his first interview with the Club, Ross McCormack described his move to Fulham as an "exciting challenge" following his arrival from Leeds United this week. 

As the Whites' fifth signing of the summer, the 27-year-old striker linked up with his new teammates in Scotland on Wednesday and immediately set to work as a key member of Felix Magath's squad.

"Having spoken to the Manager, very quickly, I realised that this was the club for me," explained Ross to fulhamfc.com. "The transfer took a little longer than I initially anticipated, but I'm just happy to be here now.

"I've been with the boys for a few days, and I have to say that I'm really impressed by what I have seen. I just want to add to the squad and play my part in what I hope will be a successful season ahead.

"From that first discussion, I felt wanted. I could tell that they rated me as a player, and that's a big thing. It made a real difference. There was speculation in regards to other teams, but Fulham was where I wanted to be.

"Of course, it's disappointing that the Club went down from the Premier League last season, and as a result, you could say that this is a new era now - it's a period I'm very much looking forward to being part of. It's an exciting challenge and promotion is very much the target.

"We have a fantastic Manager and coaching staff, some experienced players and some bright young talent. It's a good mix, and I think it will work well. I just can't wait to get going."

It remains to be seen whether McCormack will be involved in Saturday's trip to Fir Park, where Magath's side take on Motherwell. The Scotland international enjoyed an impressive two-year spell at Well and is naturally relishing the prospect of a return.

"I'm hoping to be involved, but that said, this game may have come a few days too soon as I've not long returned to full training," he added. "But I feel good, and have enjoyed the sessions this week, so we'll have to wait and see.

"I'm sure I'll receive a warm welcome, I did the last time I played there when I went back with Leeds. Motherwell is a good club, it has a tremendous set-up and I thoroughly enjoyed by time with them.

"It will be a good test for Fulham as Motherwell are a decent team, obviously they finished second in the Scottish Premier League last season. They've got a game in the Europa League next week, so they'll be at quite an advanced stage of their summer programme.

"It should be a good game, and having already faced East Fife and Rangers, we'll be looking to end our time in Scotland with a win."

Having scored 29 times for Leeds United last season, and topping the Championship's goal chart in the process, McCormack insists that there is a lot more to his game than just hitting the back of the net.

"I work hard, I like to try and link with the midfielders and if we're getting outnumbered in the middle I'm capable of dropping in," explained Ross. "There is more to my game than scoring; I like to get involved with the play as well.

"I know that there will be a certain amount of pressure, but that comes with the position that I play in. Strikers are always expected to score. Fulham have some really good strikers here, so there will be goals this season.

"It's not about individuals, it's about the collective. As a group, we need to get the goals that take us up – but of course, that's part of what I do. I know the Championship well, it's a tough league and there's some very good teams involved.

"But I've come in to be part of a side that wins promotion, and having missed out a couple of times previously, I'm determined to see it through. That's the ambition that I have inside, and as I say, hopefully it will be a successful year for us all."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/12/mccormack-interview

WhiteJC

Mitroglou - Nothings Significantly Changed!

Opening the sports pages this morning and turning to the transfer gossip column, I immediately noticed that there was a space dedicated to the future of Kostas Mitroglou.

In a box that measures something like one inch wide by three and a half inches long, I seriously hoped I`d find something new in relation to the future of the Greek International who flopped so badly at Craven Cottage.

But unfortunately I didn`t!

The news box just contains, more-or-less, the same news I passed to you yesterday, namely that Besiktas are interested and that the Turkish outfit, managed by Slaven Bilic, want to do a deal quickly so that Mitroglou can form part of their Champions League aspirations.

However, it does say that the deal could be done as early as next week, if that is the case then next week can`t come quick enough!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=363339#ixzz37KVwhusl

WhiteJC

Away Days: Watford

Every morning for 23 days we'll be providing a bite-size profile of our upcoming opposition in the 2014/15 Sky Bet Championship season. Next up is Watford.

Date: Tuesday 3rd March (7.45pm)

Recent history: The coming campaign will be Watford's eighth successive season in the Championship, following their relegation from the top flight in 2007. In that time they have twice reached the Play-Offs – losing to Hull City across two legs in 2008 and to Crystal Palace in the Final five years later – but they are usually found in mid-table come May, with their finishes ranging from 11th to 16th during the other five seasons they've been back in the second tier.

The manager: Giuseppe Sannino, appointed December 2013

Player to watch: Matej Vydra, forward

Marathonbet odds for the title: 18/1

Head-to-head record: Fulham 8, Watford 5, Draw 5

Previous meeting: Fulham 0-0 Watford, Premier League, January 2007

By train: London Euston – Watford High Street [via Watford Junction or Bushey] (approx. 25 minutes)*

Five who played for both: Heidar Helguson, Jon Harley, Collins John, Hameur Bouazza, Chris Baird

*Alternatively, supporters can walk from Watford Junction which is 10 minutes further away than Watford High Street station from Vicarage Road

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/12/away-days-watford

WhiteJC

Hertha Berlin sign Fulham centre-back

Hertha Berlin have completed the signing of Dutch centre-back Johnny Heitinga on a free transfer from English Champions side Fulham.

The 30-year old has signed a two-year contract with the option of a further season, after completing his medical in Berlin on Monday.

Johnny Heitinga told the club's official website:

"I was desperate to play in the Bundesliga, that's why I'm really looking forward to playing for Hertha. I'm looking forward to meeting the team and their terrific fans."

Hertha's sporting director Michael Preetz was particularly pleased with the club's new arrival:

"John Heitinga is a defender with international experience, from whom our younger players in particular will learn a lot."

The Dutch defender joined Fulham from fellow English Premier League side Everton at the start of last season but made only 14 appearances for the West London club who were relegated at the end of the season.

Johnny Heitinga came through the youth academy at Ajax before moving to Atlético Madrid where he stayed for one season.

Everton acquired the services of the Dutch international in 2008 where he would remain for four seasons.

He is a world cup finalist, being sent off in the Netherlands' defeat to Spain four years ago in South Africa.

Hertha Berlin finished 11th in the Bundesliga last season under Dutch head coach Jos Luhukay.

http://www.bundesliga365.com/3603/hertha-berlin-sign-fulham-centre-back/?

WhiteJC

Fulham too good for Motherwell

Motherwell's warm-up for Thursday's Europa League tie was a friendly against Fulham. The visitors had a comfortable 2-0 win.
A familiar looking Motherwell side lined up in the new home kit as the visitors kicked off.  All eleven had played with the club last season. Twardzik got the nod over Nielsen and McHugh partnered Sutton in attack.
Fulham soon had us under pressure but we survived a few early corners.  Vigurs came close at the other end but we fell behind in 19 minutes when Burgess was given room in the box to head David's corner into the net.  McHugh and Sutton threatened but we were never in command as the Championship side reached the break.  Shaun Hutchinson got a well deserved standing ovation as he left the field.
The manager made only two half time substitutions whereas Fulham changed at least half a dozen in the second period.  Law replaced McHugh and Francis-Angol came on for Ainsworth although ZFA lasted only ten minutes and Thomas was given his place.
Twardzik conceded the second goal when he failed to deal with a long range shot from Stafylidis but the young 'keeper redeemed himself with a series of stops late in the game.  Our best chance came in 73 minutes when Hammell set up Vigurs.  The volley was well held by Jorenen.
It was hardly an inspiring performance but the majority of the team got 90 minutes on the pitch.  The focus now is on Thursday's game against Stjarnan.

Motherwell 0 Fulham 2
Motherwell: Twardzik, Reid (Kerr 74) , Hammell, Ramsden, McManus, Carswell, Ainsworth(Francis-Angol 45 then subbed in 55 by Thomas)), Sutton, Vigurs, Lasley, McHugh (Law 45)

http://www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/fulham_too_good_for_motherwell_836155/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Stafylidis scores as Fulham win friendly

Konstantinos Stafylidis scored and Ross McCormack made his Fulham debut as they won 2-0 at Motherwell.

Youngster Cameron Burgess also found the net for Felix Magath's side, who looked comfortable in the third and final match of their pre-season trip to Scotland.

They went ahead in the 20th minute at Fir Park when Scotland Under-20 defender Burgess headed home from Chris David's corner.

Stafylidis, recently signed on loan from Bayer Leverkusen, netted seven minutes after half-time when keeper Dan Twardzik fumbled the Greek left-back's long-range shot.

Shaun Hutchinson, returning to his former club having recently left to join Fulham, was warmly applauded by the home fans as he was substituted late on.

And big-money signing McCormack, also an ex-Motherwell player, was denied by Twardzik in the closing stages.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/stafylidis-scores-as-fulham-win-friendly?

WhiteJC

McCormack confident of justifying £11 million price tag

Ross McCormack tells Sky Sports he's confident of justifying his £11 million transfer and feels no pressure over it.

Many were surprised following Ross McCormack's £11 million transfer fee, but the Scottish international is more then confident he has what it takes to deliver. Fulham new boy McCormack has also said that the transfer fee does not add extra pressure for him to preform.

Speaking to Sky Sports after Fulham's 2-0 win over Motherwell McCormack said "There is no pressure on me; the only pressure is to score goals, the price tag is irrelevant. You are only worth what someone is willing to pay you.I will try my best and hopefully that'll be good enough.

McCormack played a full 90 minutes in Fulham's 2-0 win over his former club Motherwell. The Scot has looks to play a big part in Fulham's attempts to clinch promotion as it looks likely Mitroglou will leave Craven Cottage.

Fulham will be hoping that McCormack can produce something similar to last season when he scored 28 league goals in 45 league games. The 27 year old has currently 11 Scottish caps to his name.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/mccormack-confident-of-justifying-11-million-price-tag/?

WhiteJC

Why Aston Villa bound Kieran Richardson is a bigger loss for Fulham than it seems

Kieran Richardson proved a lot of critics wrong in the last months of his time at Fulham (Picture: AP Photo)

Another day another dollar at Fulham. This time it's around £600,000, with Kieran Richardson packing his bags and heading off to the Midlands at Aston Villa.

You have to start wondering if it will ever end, this overwhelming cull of players at Craven Cottage. But then you realise we're still holding such valuable assets as the mercurial Bryan Ruiz, the ponderous Maarten Stekelenburg and the cumbersome Kostas Mitroglou.

It's a matter of time, rather than if, these players will leave. Yet this latest loss, the sale of Richardson, hits a somewhat heavy blow.

You wouldn't have thought it, given his club-hopping history and chequered injury record, but towards the back end of last season Richardson became a player we could most definitely rely on.

Not quite a prolific player, not your typical flairy winger, Richardson merely did the simple things correctly; tracking back, blocking crosses, using his pace to maximum effect.

It wasn't always that way. He signed two years ago to little fanfare and didn't do much to change the widespread perception of a player who had barely touched the fringes of Premier League stardom.

He was always a floater – someone who had played at good clubs and played at a reasonable level, but never left a mark. Never did anything special.

Now, I'm not trying to say he left a mark at Fulham. His sale will pass, most likely, with little concern among fans. But there is an appreciation that he turned things around on a personal level, after a year and a half of truly inept performances.

He flourished in our fight for survival, in the same way he did at West Bromwich Albion nearly a decade earlier. He showed desire and commitment and determination; three traits that were otherwise lacking amongst our team last season.

The 29-year-old won't go down in our record books and certainly won't be mourned, but he at least deserves recognition for changing the way we thought about him and pushing for something better at Fulham.

Sadly, he didn't achieve it, but he has another crack at Aston Villa and I won't be the only one to wish him the best of luck.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/12/why-aston-villa-bound-kieran-richardson-is-a-bigger-loss-for-fulham-than-it-seems-4796121/?

WhiteJC

Moroccan midfielder on trial at Fulham

Fulham have handed 26-year-old Adil Chihi a trial following his release from 1. FC Koln.

Adil Chihi has been given a trial at Fulham as the Moroccan looks for a new club following his release from German club 1. FC Koln at the end of the 2013-2014 season. The former 1. FC Koln man was given a game at Fulham's pre season friendly loss against Rangers.

The Moroccan international is looking to impress Fulham boss Felix Magath who has taken an interest in players from the Bundesliga following the signing of Kostas Stafylidis on a season long loan from Bayern Levekusen.

The German born midfielder has played his whole career at 1. FC Koln until his release at the end of the 2013-2014 season.

The midfielder made 130 league appearances for the German based club, scoring 20 goals. Chihi has got two Moroccan caps to his name.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/moroccan-midfielder-on-trial-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

U21's

Fulham Under-21s kicked-off their pre-season schedule in winning style, holding on to defeat Walton Casuals 3-2.

Ange-Freddy Plumain led the charge as the Whites powered into the ascendancy, the French winger scoring twice either side of Josh Smile's goal to open up a three-goal lead for the visitors.

But the Stags hit back to dent Fulham's advantage before the break through Scott Day, and the hosts struck again after the interval when substitute Jamil Okai reduced the deficit further.

Kit Symons' men retained their lead to seal a victory which saw a number of last season's Under-18s step up a level, with a good portion of the usual Under-21s squad linking up with Felix Magath's First Team in Scotland.

Senior defender Fernando Amorebieta was able to secure valuable game time, playing 65 minutes and providing a fine pass for Plumain's second goal, and there was even a second-half cameo from former Whites favourite Luis Boa Morte.

In tribute to the former Under-21s and Under-18s photographer and devoted Fulham supporter, Martin Goldthorpe, who passed away on June 17th, the Whites wore black arm-bands and were joined by Walton Casuals to observe a minute's silence before kick-off.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/under-21s/2014_2015/friendly/walton-casuals#report