watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What it will take to win the Championship

Started by The Swan, July 15, 2014, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

We have 46 games to play. If we can win 30 that will give us 90 points and guarantee promotion.
Can we do the double over 15 teams . I think we can and if we can't manage that then we can pick up a few draws.
Although we have a difficult start against four of the teams that are tipped to go up.
Away to Ipswich, followed by two home games against Millwall and Wolves.
Away  at Derby, home to Cardiff, ( two favourites to get promoted) Away to Reading and Forest and home to Blackburn.
We should be looking for 18 points from these 8 games.
I am looking forward to watching Fulham turn Craven Cottage into a Fortress again.
We need a good start to the season.
The Swan

Pie and mash

It's going to be a lot tougher than most think.

We'll get playoffs

Burt

Not overly confident, and will reserve judgment until we get the initial few games under our belt.

The team we will be fielding in our first match will be radically different than what we saw last season. That's a good thing, but ideally the transition should have been made progressively over a couple of seasons rather than radically over a couple of months.

There are more settled squads out there who will be pushing on... Brighton, Reading, Forest, Watford, etc.

nose

we need to get off to a flyer... that will restore confidence in ourselves  and instill fear in the opposition.

i actually don't think that will happen.... i suispect we will be rather indifferent and finish just below half way BUT if we start to put in good performances. play as a team, restore the work ethic and team spirit  and bring through the younger players then the season after will be more interesting.

Nero

Easy league get out of you need  a good goal keeper a  solid back, 4 midfielders that close down tbe opposition and a striker or 2.that can bang it into the back of the onion bag. So the exact opposite.to what we did last year.

Admin

Quote from: Burt on July 15, 2014, 10:20:20 PM
Not overly confident, and will reserve judgment until we get the initial few games under our belt.

The team we will be fielding in our first match will be radically different than what we saw last season. That's a good thing, but ideally the transition should have been made progressively over a couple of seasons rather than radically over a couple of months.

There are more settled squads out there who will be pushing on... Brighton, Reading, Forest, Watford, etc.

Something tells me that Blackburn Rovers will be there, thereabouts..

ron

Quote from: Nero on July 15, 2014, 10:56:36 PM
Easy league get out of you need  a good goal keeper a  solid back, 4 midfielders that close down tbe opposition and a striker or 2.that can bang it into the back of the onion bag. So the exact opposite.to what we did last year.

That's eight good players  you need then.

In my book you need eleven PL quality players plus half a dozen quality reserves to stand a chance of competing at the very top of the Championship. The last time we won through we had at least that.

Admin

Quote from: ron on July 15, 2014, 11:05:44 PM
Quote from: Nero on July 15, 2014, 10:56:36 PM

That's eight good players  you need then.

In my book you need eleven PL quality players plus half a dozen quality reserves to stand a chance of competing at the very top of the Championship. The last time we won through we had at least that.

That will never happen again. When we did it, we were the first club to have a multi-millionaire owner, and we managed to attract players to the Championship that would never dream of coming today. People need to forget how we won the Championship last time, 13 years on and things have changed considerably. To get out of this time around, we require a well organized, well structured, physical, but free flowing side that is prepared to play week in, week out.

Nero

How much quality do you really need I mean Burnley & Blackpool have got out of the league without much quality more down to teamwork and puting pressue on the man with the ball

premFlem

any scrimping or saving in the next few weeks could be fatal, we need premiership quality players and that doesnt come cheap.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

ChesterTheTabby

Anyone who thinks that the Championship will be a walk in the park...well, I'd like some of what you are drinking because it obviously will take the piss out. Do I think we have a reasonable shot of promotion in one season? As good as anyone! Not to mention I think we will have the most physically prepared team in the league, which counts for a ton when players are tired late in the season. I think we can expect to finish around 4th +/- 1 spot and be in the playoffs. What ever happens then, we will see. Give the team a chance, put our faith in this new and invigorated squad, and we may just do it!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Aaron

I am of the opinion that the gap in terms of quality between 7th and 8th in the Premier League is larger than the gap between 8th in the Premier League and mid-to-lower-mid-table in the Championship.  We're essentially going up against 15 or 20 teams which are of at least comparable but more likely better quality than the team which saw us relegated last season and a couple of also-rans.

I very much like the movement I have seen so far in terms of transfers and signings but as Admin points out, you can't really buy your way out of the Championship these days and it would be very easy to become just another face in the crowd if we don't come out of the blocks flying.  There's 18 or 19 other teams in the league who have been to the Premiership and some with more pedigree than us.

Everything is going to have to click very nicely together from day one or we could find ourselves down here for a while.  I'm just going to go ahead and jinx it though:  There's absolutely no mission of us doing the double drop.

RaySmith

I'll reserve judgement until we've played a few games, but I do feel positive about the  squad Felix is assembling.

But I hope people don't get too down on the team if we don't start performing straight away, and have a couple of poor results, because it may take time to gel- but I think fans may be impatient.

blingo

More points than the other teams in the championship?
Get your money on win and to go up. Maggie's creating a team of Unsullieds.

bling....sitting on the throne.....ohhhhhh lol.

Andy S

You need plenty of Skill a lot of hard work and a few who are willing to die for the cause. You also need good support

MJG

On average over last 13 years you have needed 94 pts to be champions.
Its been won with as little as 87 but the trend is you need more pts than ever to win it.

I would say we need a breakdown of 27 wins and 13 draws and only 6 losses to be champs and get 94 pts.

How does that look now?

Delboy

It is an incredibly long season, promotion won't be won with either a good start, middle or end of season. It has to be achieved by picking up points all along the whole fixture list. Picking up points when we have off days, winning ugly, as they say. If we are in the mix come April then most of us will be happy. We could even see us run out at Wembley again.

Deanothefulhamfan

Good football, Good home form and the abillity to win games you sometimes don't deserve to.

I think if FM sort us out at the back, we have enough quality in the final third to make a difference.... I think we will get promotion and may even win the league.

Lighthouse

I very much doubt we have the squad yet to come close to winning it. We need players in certain areas to come in and perform. We need to be able to adapt and bounce back from the problems that are bound to come our way. But most of all we need to have a forward thinking mentality which given the right players we may well have.

It would be a big ask to expect us to come close to promotion in the first season. Unless we have a few more great signings.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

blingo

Trust me Light House, you know I am right ;)