watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What it will take to win the Championship

Started by The Swan, July 15, 2014, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert

The biggest problem, but not the only one, that I can see this season is that we wll be the big team for everyone else to aim at. Thirteen years in the Premiership will make us the team others want to measure temselves against, to see if they could potentially hack it. The fact that we have changed most of a poor squad will mean nothing, unfortunately for us. We could have an awful lot of teams seeing us as their cup final.
It will be a bit like Luton's plight when they went into the Conference. They thought themselves too good to be down there as they had been relegated after a points deduction, and thought promotion back to the league would be relatively straight-forward. Instead they drew games they should have won and lost those they should have drawn. The following season was the same, then most of their better players had moved on and they had to rebuild. It took them until the end of last season to go up, when much of their "league status" glamour had worn off and hard work replaced a vague expectation that they deserved to go up.

If we win promotion, either automatic or via the play-offs, then we will have deserved it.

And no, I do not expect us to go up. Not first time round.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

JBH

Basically we just need 1 more points than the team that finishes in 3rd place at the end of the season

ffc73

Quote from: MJG on July 16, 2014, 09:40:47 AM
On average over last 13 years you have needed 94 pts to be champions.
Its been won with as little as 87 but the trend is you need more pts than ever to win it.

I would say we need a breakdown of 27 wins and 13 draws and only 6 losses to be champs and get 94 pts.

How does that look now?

Damn hard

mccscratch

I have major concerns about the center of midfield... I like Scott Parker more than most on here but who else is going to sit deep and pick out passes while contesting with very high pressure from a bunch of jack rabbits that mid table Championship teams have?

I hope that we will be selling one of Ruiz or Mitroglu for a player similar to Huddlestone (strong, hard working and can distribute the ball).

If we do that... I believe that Felix will have this team fit as can be and ready to fight.

I think a playoff place is achievable.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

MJG

Quote from: FFC73 on July 16, 2014, 02:01:44 PM
Quote from: MJG on July 16, 2014, 09:40:47 AM
On average over last 13 years you have needed 94 pts to be champions.
Its been won with as little as 87 but the trend is you need more pts than ever to win it.

I would say we need a breakdown of 27 wins and 13 draws and only 6 losses to be champs and get 94 pts.

How does that look now?

Damn hard
Yep, and the thing is we have had basically 13 years of mediocrity. Bog standard average. And to suddenly turn into a team capable of that many points seems a bloody hard thing to do.

Other teams have had this type of run broken up by years of being a yo-yo clubs.

Forever Fulham

Didn't MAF acquire a large part of that $200M debt by buying a number of  top level players to play in a league below their talents (competitively speaking), to better ensure the club's promotion?  Do you think Khan and his people are doing that now?   I see a lot of youngsters.  I see they've paid for some proven Championship level players.  I see some of the foreign players coming on from leagues not the equivalent of the EPL.  But I don't see much in the way of signings of players with EPL experience.  And our best players are being shopped or have left.  I think you need a number of proven EPL-level players on a Championship side to get promoted quickly back into the EPL.  Otherwise, you're in the soup and it's more of a crap shoot.

Fernhurst

What will it take to win the Championship?

The signing of Steven Naismith.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

hovewhite

We have everry chance but a good start and getting the fortress back at the cottage are essential.
But I think we will do it.

Fernhurst

Last time we started with 11 straight wins.......

That would be nice.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

hovewhite

Admin

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on July 16, 2014, 12:21:46 PM
Good football, Good home form and the abillity to win games you sometimes don't deserve to.

I think if FM sort us out at the back, we have enough quality in the final third to make a difference.... I think we will get promotion and may even win the league.

Who stuck a positive rocket up your backside?

VB

Picking up 10pts per month would give us around 90pts, that would surly put us in the shake up
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

Deanothefulhamfan

Haha fair point admin, I was on par with you last season on the depression level, maybe even worse..... but this year I am hugely optimistic, the signings we have made along with our youngsters we have coming through make me think we are serious contenders this season. Will certainly have money on us to get promoted, maybe even in the league.

kevin

you don't need to beat 15 teams twice...Just win 20 home games and 10 away....not unachievable
I do think you need some wins early on with a young team otherwise heads might start to go down