watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Magaths Bundesliga history

Started by NorfolkJim, August 18, 2014, 07:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorfolkJim

Magaths the oddest manager we've ever had - he's not yet the worst. IMO Sanchez still holds that title, but Magath has a good history, at least in terms of winning things, with Wolfsburg, Bayern, Schalke, Nurnburg to name a few.
What I'd like to know from those who have followed Bundesliga, is did he change the starting 11 significantly week after week or did he eventually arrive at a settled team?
Did he play people massively out of position at those clubs?
We all know about his reputation for training, falling out and being a dictator but I'd like to know more about how he got those achievements under his belt 'cos I just can't "get" his current methods or see where he is taking us other than clearing out the entire team and replacing them with younger players.

TonyGilroy

The team needed clearing out and we have talented youngsters. How talented we can't know until they're given playing opportunities in meaningful games.

I think we all agree that there needs to be some more experience but not enough to deny the best kids playing time. That's actually a big conundrum. Bringing in Championship hardened players may lead to us having a Championship standard team and we need better for promotion.

It's at least possible that there will be signings in the next two weeks and the problem may be that we're not the first choice of our preferred targets.

Roberty

The most important thing we have seen so far is that they do not roll-over and give up when they go behind, which it what we saw last season.

It could be seen as promising that they have only lost by one goal and the avalanche we had last season.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Holders

I'm really encouraged.

My biggest fear is of losing the best of the youngsters if the team takes too long to gel and we don't go up. I hear that Pat Roberts is contracted until 2016 so that gives us another bite of the cheery next year but I don't know about the others.

It would be such a pity to lose the golden generation.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

the nutflush

Jol was way worse than Sanchez in my opinion.  Worst thing to ever happen to Fulham. 

epsomraver

Quote from: the nutflush on August 18, 2014, 12:32:59 PM
Jol was way worse than Sanchez in my opinion.  Worst thing to ever happen to Fulham. 
:plus one:

YankeeJim

Quote from: NorfolkJim on August 18, 2014, 07:46:14 AM
Magaths the oddest manager we've ever had - he's not yet the worst. IMO Sanchez still holds that title, but Magath has a good history, at least in terms of winning things, with Wolfsburg, Bayern, Schalke, Nurnburg to name a few.
What I'd like to know from those who have followed Bundesliga, is did he change the starting 11 significantly week after week or did he eventually arrive at a settled team?
Did he play people massively out of position at those clubs?
We all know about his reputation for training, falling out and being a dictator but I'd like to know more about how he got those achievements under his belt 'cos I just can't "get" his current methods or see where he is taking us other than clearing out the entire team and replacing them with younger players.

IMHO, this is an excellent question. I too am concerned about the constant swapping of players. There may be a reason for it now while the first team is sorted but I believe that consistency is a requirement for success and that won't come by beating last years records for number of different players used.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Logicalman

We have played 2 league matches thus far, just two. FM has swapped out a number of players in those matches and will need to further to ensure we have the best available team, notwithstanding injuries, etc.

The pre-season friendlies didn't really provide so much of a testing ground for this as we played teams, perhaps, not quite like the Millwall and Leeds of England, and we also didn't have a couple of the signings available at those times.

As others have said, the proof is in the eating, and if, after 6 or 8 games the taste still differs each time and its still sour, then there is something wrong with the chef by keep changing the ingredients, and that's when it should be questioned I believe.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

VicHalomsLovechild

We're a much better team. Last season we lost 24 games. This season 2 it's a massive improvement.