News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why England failed: a definitive appraisal.

Started by Nick Bateman, July 17, 2014, 10:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBride78

First, hello fellow Fulham supporters...I have not been active since the old Forums on the club website was taken down.  I have followed your forum here since that time, but had not joined as I was happy reading your opinions and getting news from your posts and did not feel I had anything of value to add to the dialogue.  That changed with this particular post and I thought my perspective might add some value. 

I read earlier in this thread an opinion that England was not good enough and were bested by better quality teams.  I must humbly disagree.  As a Yank, I understand that we are claiming victory just to put up a good fight and advance out of group stage, but defeat is already gauranteed.  That being the case, England is the squad I support as a team that has a legit chance to win, really win.  Not just the moral victories that team USA put up.  Don't get me wrong, i am proud of the US team, but in reality we do not have quality.  Good athletes who can run all day, but no skill, no touch, no finishing instinct.  Great heart, not enough talent.  Therefore, I was a big supporter of England in this world cup as the team I hoped to rally behind after the US was eliminated.

I am unsure as to what the issue is exactly with the England team, but talent is not it.  There is not a player on your roster beyond the keeper that would not start and be the best at his position on the US squad.  I would take Lambert or Welbeck over an out of position Dempsey any day.  There is also a ton of class in midfield, coming from a country that plays a defensive mid in the creative position because we have no other options.  As fond as my memories are of Hodgson at Fulham, I am severly disappointed in his results with the England team.  Perhaps his style fits a blue collar mid table team fighting for a top ten spot, but is not correct for England.  I think England needs a change in direction, but not at the player level.  Definitely a management and tactics issue, possibly a motivation issue as well.  What ever it is, I dont see it as talent.

At any rate, just my two cents. and I look forward to posting more often now that I am here.   

Forever Fulham

Clint did play out of position pretty much the whole time, much of it with a broken nose.  And in spite of that, he scored two goals.  He's a better and more effective player than Welbeck, who runs about accomplishes what?  I won't address the comparison to Lambert, because I'm a big fan of Lambert and see him as an "It Factor" player who can be very effective.  Problem is: He wasn't given an opportunity this Cup, so I don't know how you can support the comparison made.  I think England would have done better with Lambert on.  Effectiveness can come in all shapes and backgrounds.  He may be 'blue collar', but he gets the job done.  Should have played him.  Lambert would have really fit in with the U.S. team.

McBride78

I'll take welbeck over an out of position Clint...let Clint play deeper and create.  Point was England has depth, talent and options I am envious of.  We have a starting striker who can't get off the pine at Sunderland and the backups are so bad we would rather play Clint alone up top.  Point was talent is not the issue, hodgson is.  Rooney, welbeck, daniel and Lambert, along with a midfield containing all premiere league players.  Klinsman would have loved to have those options.  I was simply interested in the fact that some posters thought talent was the issue.  Teamwork heart and coaching, but individual quality I am not sure about.  Also a huge Lambert fan...would have loved to see him get some time.

CincyFulham1

First let me say I like Roy, but I think his strength lies in getting the most out of average players and building a team that is hard to breakdown.  When he has quality players like the Liverpool or England squads, he can't seem to get the most out of their collective talent, for whatever reason.

premFlem

I think the excessive amount of foreign players allowed in our top league is definitely affecting the development of our younger players, but that's something I cant see changing soon. Having said that If Roy's England fails to set the next Euro championships alight I'll eat my hat. 
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

CincyFulham1

Quote from: premFlem on July 19, 2014, 10:46:31 AM
I think the excessive amount of foreign players allowed in our top league is definitely affecting the development of our younger players, but that's something I cant see changing soon. Having said that If Roy's England fails to set the next Euro championships alight I'll eat my hat

A Pork Pie obviously