more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (17/07/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 17, 2014, 08:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Away Days: Blackpool

Every morning for 23 days we'll be providing a bite-size profile of our upcoming opposition in the 2014/15 Sky Bet Championship season. Next up is Blackpool.

Date: Saturday 18th April (3pm)

Recent history: Having been relegated after a solitary season in the Premier League in 2010/11, Blackpool had a decent stab at an immediate return to the top flight, finishing fifth before losing to West Ham United in the Play-Off Final. They were unable to replicate that form the following season, though, finishing in 15th spot, while last term was even more precarious. Going into the final day their survival was still not guaranteed, and only results elsewhere prevented them from dropping into League One.

The manager: Jose Riga, appointed June 2014

Player to watch: Sergei Zenjov, forward

Marathonbet odds for the title: 50/1

Head-to-head record: Fulham 34, Blackpool 36, Draw 30

Previous meeting: Blackpool 1-2 Fulham AET (Nathan Delfouneso; Kieran Richardson, Brede Hangeland) FA Cup, January 2013

By train: London Euston – Blackpool North [via Preston] (approx. 2 hours 45 minutes)

Five who played for both: Hameur Bouazza, Mick Conroy, Udo Onwere, John Evanson, Phil Stant

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/16/away-days-blackpool?

WhiteJC

Qatar side Al-Arabi bid for Fulham's Dejagah

Fulham's Ashkan Dejagah has been on the receiving end of a £5 million pound bid from Qatar club Al-Arabi, according to The Sun Newspaper.

Manager Felix Magath is considering the offer as he is unsure whether to sell the Iranian International to use the money to strengthen his squad for the promotion push back to the top flight.

Premier League side West Bromwich Albion are also keen on the 28 year old.

Dejagah joined Fulham from German side VfL Wolfsburg at the start of the 2012/13 season and made an impression at the Cottagers in his two season at the club.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/qatar-side-al-arabi-bid-for-fulhams-dejagah721/?

WhiteJC

London Derbies Televised

The dates of two of Fulham's London derbies have been moved for live television coverage.

Firstly, our clash with Charlton Athletic at Craven Cottage – originally scheduled for Saturday 25th October – will now take place on Friday 24th October, kicking-off at 7.45pm.

The following month sees our West London derby with Brentford taking place a day earlier, with the Griffin Park encounter now being played on Friday 21st November (7.45pm).

Both matches will be televised live on Sky Sports.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/16/london-derbies-televised?

WhiteJC

Bryan Ruiz linked with Olympiakos

Fulham's Bryan Ruiz looks set to leave Craven Cottage following their relegation to the Sky Bet Championship, and could be set for a move to Greece according to Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio.

Ruiz isn't keen on staying with Fulham to play in the second tier and is looking for a move away from the club. Palermo have also been touted as a possible destination for the Costa Rican, but it has emerged that Olympiakos are now the front runners for his signature.

Olympiakos are in the market for an attacking player after Ruiz's international team mate Joel Campbell's loan came to an end in May. Ruiz impressed alongside the Arsenal man as Costa Rica surprised everyone by topping Group D which consisted of Italy, Uruguay and England.

Fulham boss Felix Magath will be looking to get the 28 year old off the wage bill as soon as possible so he can get in some new signings in a bid to return Fulham back to the top tier of English football at the first time of asking.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bryan-ruiz-linked-with-olympiakos/?

WhiteJC

Under-18s face Fulham test

Young Dons warm-up for hard task in style

AFC Wimbledon Under-18s go into Saturday's "huge test" against last season's FA Youth Cup finalists Fulham in buoyant mood after an impressive pre-season so far.

The young Dons will face a tough challenge at Fulham's training ground in their sixth match so far this summer, but they have made a highly promising start with five wins and 32 goals scored in the process.

Wimbledon's latest warm-up match ended in a 4-0 win at the FAB Academy, a highly-regarded youth set-up headed up by former Reading Academy coach Nas Bashir, at Bisham Abbey.

Dan Agyei was quick off the mark as he put the Dons 1-0 up in just the sixth minute after good work by Egli Kaja. First-year Under-18 Nez Bellikli then picked up the mantle in style with two fine finishes after being set-up by Reece Batchelor and Billy Frost respectively.

Frost (pictured) was influential throughout and he received the man of the match award for another creative performance. Callum Overton completed the scoring from 12 yards after winning the penalty himself.

Under-18s manager Mark Robinson said: "I set the standards very high for the boys in everything they do, but in the first 30 minutes their football was of an excellent standard. They produced a wonderful array of short and long football with intelligent running off the ball that would have caused most teams problems. The FAB Academy have also scored goals against other professional academy sides so it was good to keep another clean sheet too.

"We now have an in-house game on Thursday against our Under-21s and trialists before we face Fulham. Obviously, that will be a huge test for the boys, but I know we can give any team at this level a game if we are in the right frame of mind and have self-belief."

Read more at http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/young-dons-v-fulham-1762770.aspx#HkYMs0dSrRLGkLDo.99

WhiteJC

Fulham want Carlton Cole

West Ham United striker Carlton Cole is wanted by Championship club Fulham.

The 30-year-old striker signed a new 18-month contract with West Ham back in January but could be off to West London just six months later to join the Cottagers, who were relegated from the Premier League at the end of last season, according to KUMB sources.

Fulham are determined to make an instant return to the top flight and have already shelled out a Championship-record £11million fee for former Leeds striker and West Ham target Ross McCormack.

And manager Felix Magath is keen to pair the 27-year-old Scottish international with Cole, who made 30 appearances for West Ham last season scoring six times in the process.

The impending arrival of Enner Valencia - combined with that of Mauro Zarate back in May - has seen Cole, already considered a back-up to Andy Carroll slip further down the pecking order at the Boleyn Ground.

Read more at http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=127665#Ib2vqqAYU4oA8i73.99

WhiteJC

McCormack, Taggart, Mitroglou...Felix Magath is stockpiling too many forwards at Fulham

I'm not going to beat about the bush – I'd forgotten about Adam Taggart. Not much of a fan, you may think, but I suspect I'm not the only one.

He's been away for a while, recuperating after his World Cup with Australia, and in the meantime we have been taking in the delights of the £11m Ross McCormack, while Cauley Woodrow and Hugo Rodallega have been impressing in pre-season.

Both Woodrow and Rodallega have scored goals in the tour of Scotland, while, quite remarkably, Felix Magath is also entertaining the idea of retaining Kostas Mitroglou.

Either he has seen something we haven't, or the Greek is just proving incredibly hard to budge.

But that is by-the-by; we are over-stocked with strikers. I've named five – Taggart, Woodrow, Rodallega, McCormack and Mitroglou – and each one is capable of winning a first team spot (if Mitroglou pulls his finger out).

If you chuck in Moussa Dembele – a very capable player at only 18 – then you have an abundance of them. Of course, that's all well and good; the more the merrier as they say.

And if, as suspected, Magath lines up with two up front next season, the depth will be helpful. But we don't need six.

Our German boss is infamous for stockpiling players but it just isn't necessary, even in a tougher, longer campaign like the Championship.

Four would suffice – two regular starters, two backups – and our excellent academy provides the safety net beyond that. So who should go?

Mitroglou, naturally, who has been little short of awful since joining in January. Dembele, too, should go out on loan where, hopefully, he'd receive some regular first team football and a massive boost to his development.

Even then, though, you have four very capable strikers, so who gets the starting berth? McCormack should certainly get first refusal, given his hefty price tag and Championship experience.

Rodallega would be his obvious partner, but then what for Woodrow, a player who has shown glimpses of a very promising future? And what about Taggart, a young player who could easily make it at this level?

Unfortunately, it seems their paths will be temporarily blocked. Woodrow will be in the mix, undoubtedly, and will start a fair share of games. Our new Australian, though, will most likely be nothing more than a backup.

And that is hugely unfortunate, as he possesses the natural instincts of any lethal striker. You have to doubt, though, that we will see much of him.

And that is a shame. But, perhaps, it is the price of success.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/16/mccormack-taggart-mitroglou-felix-magath-is-stockpiling-too-many-forwards-at-fulham-4800236/?

WhiteJC

Former Fulham man John bidding to win Crawley Town deal

Crawley are considering whether or not to offer a contract to former Fulham striker Collins John, who is currently on trial at the West Sussex club.

The Dutchman is still just 28 but has played for 12 clubs in as many years during his professional career.

One of those clubs was Fulham, where he scored 20 goals in 95 league outings, while he also had spells at Leicester, Watford and Barnet during his time in English football.

It was announced in March that he had agreed to join the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, who play in America's third tier, but he could yet make a move back to England with Crawley.

Manager John Gregory is currently taking a look at John during a trial - and he played 70 minutes in Crawley's 10-0 win over Oakwood on Tuesday night but failed to notch.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/former-fulham-man-john-bidding-win-crawley-town-deal-140716102112#M42UkKpLSfr8Ppsh.99

WhiteJC

Kay Voser eager for Fulham promotion

New Fulham signing Kay Voser has revealed that he is eager to help the club get back to the Premier League this season.

The 27-year-old Swiss defender joined the Cottagers from Basel on a two-year deal last week.

Voser is now keen to work hard in West London as Fulham look to return to the top flight at the first attempt.

"It would have been easy to stay there, but I was keen to try a new challenge, and the task here at Fulham is exciting," he told the club's official website.

"I want to help the club get back to the top division; Premier League football is our ambition. I'm sure that I will develop as a player and as a person also. It will be interesting to see how things unfold."

Fulham begin their Championship campaign away to Ipswich Town on August 9.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/voser-eager-for-fulham-promotion_165395.html

WhiteJC

Irons give Fulham frosty Cole response

West Ham United have confirmed Fulham are interested in striker Carlton Cole but have no intention of doing a deal on the terms being offered.

News broke earlier today that manager Felix Magath is keen to pair new signing Ross McCormack with the Hammers loyalist.

The news first appeared on www.kumb.com but when ClaretandHugh contacted Upton Park sources Fulham were given a frosty reception to the proposed deal.

We were told that there was no chance of a deal being done on the terms being offered by the Cottagers.

Our source said: " They want Carlton for nothing and he is very much part of our plans."

http://www.claretandhugh.info/irons-give-fulham-frosty-cole-response/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=irons-give-fulham-frosty-cole-response

WhiteJC

Roma snap up former Fulham midfielder

Roma have completed the revolution of their left side with the addition of former Fulham man Urby Emanuelson.

With Ashley Cole already secured as the club's left-back, after his contract at Chelsea was allowed to expire, the Serie A side have now swooped for the exciting winger.

The Dutchman was released by AC Milan at the end of June and has been courted by a number of clubs since.

Roma are undergoing an overhaul this summer with Aston Villa and Holland defender Ron Vlaar also on their agenda.

Emanuelson spent the second half of the 2012/13 season on loan at Craven Cottage after Martin Jol lured him away from the San Siro temporarily.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/roma-snap-former-fulham-midfielder-140716102156#XGrMC7COVkGRPQ1X.99

WhiteJC

Determined To Succeed

Tim Hoogland is relishing the "challenge" of English football following his move to Fulham last month.

The Whites completed the signing of the versatile German, who joined on a free transfer from Bundesliga side Schalke 04, and now the 29-year-old can't wait to get started.

"The start of the season is getting closer and closer," said Tim to fulhamfc.com. "I've been at the Club for a few weeks now and it's been great. We've been working really hard in pre-season, but the opening game is in sight – it will soon come around.

"I know all about English football, it will be tough. But I'm looking forward to the challenge. There will be lots of battles; it's all about winning your individual one-v-ones across the pitch.

"The style of football in this country is intense, it's also very quick. But I have the determination to succeed; I'm a team player and can line up in a variety of positions. I want to win every game and will always give 100 per cent."

Hoogland also offers experience, spending almost a decade – in two separate spells – at one of Germany's biggest clubs. In Schalke colours he also played in last season's UEFA Champions League.

"I have been in the game for a little while now," he explained. "So I like to think I have a lot to offer in that respect. With a young squad here at Fulham, that is important. I want to help the younger players, I want to push my teammates on.

"The team has a lot of potential, and I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop. I've been really impressed by the talent that we have in the squad, these players have a bright future."

Hoogland has linked up with Felix Magath for a second time, having worked together during the Fulham Manager's spell in charge of the Gelsenkirchen-based club.

"I spent a bit of time out on loan and had a couple of injuries," explained Tim. "So I didn't get the chance to work for him for too long, which was a shame. But now I'm happy to be working with him again.

"He's someone that gets the best out of his players. You have to work hard and give everything, but that brings success. We'll certainly be in a good position come the start of the new season.

"Pulling on a Fulham shirt for the first time in a competitive game will be very special. This is a very traditional club, it has a very English heritage and I am proud to wear its colours."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/16/determined-to-succeed?

WhiteJC

Besiktas Interest in Ruiz!

The strange case of Bryan Ruiz continues to haunt me.

Here we have a player who, upon joining us, we were told had everything, he was a player that, it was suggested bring something different to our team.

Well he might have done on the odd occasion but other times he was hugely frustrating and it probably came as a relief to both the player and the support when he went to Dutch football on loan.

But then we turned on the World Cup and whenever we watched Costa Rica play he was, in a word, dynamite.

Quite why there was such a difference I guess we`ll never know but it all appears incidental now as I doubt whether we`ll ever see him in a Fulham shirt again.

To that effect it is being reported that the Turkish club, Besiktas, is keen on taking the Costa Rican to Turkish football.

It remains to be seen whether it is a move that appeals to Ruiz.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=363685#ixzz37hyUmslP

WhiteJC

So Where Next for the Misfit?

And there we were all eagerly waiting for confirmation that our Greek misfit, Kostas Mitroglou, had signed for Besiktas.

It`s confirmation that would have meant that our January transfer window purchase would have been out of our hair.

But those best laid plans have now gone wrong!

Reports have filtered through that Besiktas have recruited the Chelsea striker Demba Ba and are now highly unlikely to pursue their reported interest in taking Mitroglou off of our hands.

One can only assume that Besiktas looked at the goals scored by each striker (or not scored in Mitroglou`s case) before making a final decision!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=363686#ixzz37hyifLOB

WhiteJC

Olympiacos want Fulham striker Bryan Ruiz on free transfer

Olympiacos are reportedly hoping to sign Fulham striker Bryan Ruiz on a free transfer.

The Costa Rica international, who has one year remaining on his contract, joined the Cottagers from Dutch outfit FC Twente for £10m in 2011.

Ruiz has failed to live up to expectations at Fulham, but has attracted interest from several clubs following a string of impressive performances during this summer's World Cup finals.

The forward is keen on a move abroad following Fulham's relegation to the Championship, but the club are reluctant to allow him to leave for nothing, according to the Daily Mail.

Ruiz found the net twice for Costa Rica as his country reached the quarter-finals of the World Cup.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/olympiacos/transfer-talk/news/olympiacos-want-ruiz-on-free-transfer_165471.html