watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Just how tired and worn out are the Players

Started by MasterHaynes, May 15, 2015, 01:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterHaynes

Between 3rd March and 15th May, a period of just over 70 days, my old favourites Hendon Town played 20 games, drawing 4 and winning 16,on average a game around every 3 days over a period of 10 weeks.
These were not just meaningless games they included 2 Semi and 2 Cup finals (won both) were just pipped to the Isthmian League title by 3pts by Maidstone Utd (Smalling's old team) after dropping points in 3 draws from the 9 games played in April, playing a total of 61 competitive games last season
By Premiership/Championship standards Hendon had a very small squad of players resulting in the majority of the players playing in excess of 60 games over the course of last season. The incredibly arduous and testing run in schedule while working a normal job and still getting results is to be applauded bearing in mind they were not cosseted by travelling first class, far from it. Still Hendon Town managed to win 2 cups and very nearly won what is a very good league.
My main point, besides congratulating and recognising Hendon players achievements, Is to ask whether anyone else struggles when we hear commentators regularly offer up the excuse for Premiership players worn out mentally and physically because they don't get a winter break and season is too long? Majority play less than 40 games in a season(1 game a week). Due to injuries and squad rotations many players probably play less than 35 games in a season. Playing football is their sole focus, they have the best facilities(indoor and outside), best people- Physios, Doctors nutritionist, masseuse, cooks and fitness people etc surrounding them, they don't have to worry about travel only getting enough free tickets for family and friends.
Am I surely missing something or am I just an antique and as my son often quotes 'just don't understand' or do others struggle with this?

rweller86

I would mention is that non-league teams will only have about 3/4 days of football each week, whether that's training or matches. Where as its 5/6 days a week for a professional club.

Also, when you are gunning for trophies/league titles/promotion, I'm sure you will feel a lot more energised and buzzing to perform!
@rweller

MasterHaynes

Quote from: rweller86 on May 15, 2015, 01:38:54 PM
I would mention is that non-league teams will only have about 3/4 days of football each week, whether that's training or matches. Where as its 5/6 days a week for a professional club.

Also, when you are gunning for trophies/league titles/promotion, I'm sure you will feel a lot more energised and buzzing to perform!
I would respond that the non league players put in more 'football related'hours each week over 3-4 days than the professionals put in over 5-6 days and do another job on top.