https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Alan Mullery on Talk Sport

Started by spikey norman, July 20, 2014, 11:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Quote from: Holders on July 22, 2014, 02:11:06 PM
Quote from: jarv on July 22, 2014, 01:03:08 PM
In his second spell at the club, his playing style and leadership dominated the middle of the park.  I remember in one game, not sure who was in possession, might have been Les Barrett, he literally shoved him off the ball, took possession and made a great forward pass. I guess he saw a situation which his team mate didn't.

Or possibly Lloyd?

Sounds very likely!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: SP on December 21, 2016, 10:41:34 PM
Quote from: Holders on July 21, 2014, 07:35:28 PM
The wall opposite the Putney turnstiles said it all for decades.

I arrived early for the Rotherham game so, to kill time, I was trying to remember where this was written.  I mistakenly thought it was by the Hammersmith End.  Not sure who we'd consider to be god these days?

Last time I looked it was still very faintly visible.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

The last time that I actually saw Alan was at the Cheam Carnival in Cheam/Nonsuch Park a few years ago.
He was on the mike for Cheam Baptist Church telling people how he had found God and changed his life.
One of my favourite moments was quite topical as it was the Ipswich game on Boxing Day 1963. 10-1.
Having scored the tenth goal he was round the back of the net with his arms up in front of the crowd.
A moment to remember.

filham

One of our all time greats, I think it was his sudden transfer to Spurs that resulted in the resignation of manager Beddy Jezzard, the deal had been done by the board without consultation of either manager or player.

Shame that Mullery never became a Fulham manager, he could have done well.

bobbo

I'm in awe of all you that can remember all those exact games, I guess at 71 I'm a similar age as some , and I also remember mullery's debut but dates and against who always eludes me.
Indeed once he got into the team he remained there barring injuries.unlike many I know nothing much of him, but he used to sit very close to where I sit when he hosted one of the bars.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

18stepsup

The goal of the season in a cup game I think I was by the green pole great goal

Holders

Quote from: 18stepsup on December 22, 2016, 02:54:37 PM
The goal of the season in a cup game I think I was by the green pole great goal

Against Leicester. I was by the pole as well.

Ffc sw4

Alan,Alan, Alan ,Alan Mullery  oh Alan Alan Alan Mullery  049:gif

RaySmith

'When Alan
walks up
to lift the FA Cup
we'll be there, we'll be there.'

gang

Quote from: cmg on July 21, 2014, 09:32:06 PM

He's not everyone's cup of tea, and he's always had the reputation for being outspoken, but is an important figure in the club's history. Important in playing a big part in getting us into Div1 (as was) and in establishing us there, important in the part he played in the great Cup adventure and in persuading Mooro to finish up with us. The covering over the Hammersmith End was financed by his sale to Spurs.

He has relevance today as he was one of very few players to have debuted at 17 and established himself immediately, after his first game only injury ever kept him out of the team. His transfer to Spurs was as big a shock to him as it was to everybody else. He found it hard going at first at Tottenham, the fan's didn't take to his robust, energetic style especially as he replaced the stylish, almost delicate Danny Blanchflower. Eventually he became an idol there too

I thought that was the money from Paul Went's sale.