watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (16/06/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 16, 2010, 07:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6207205/Volz-joins-Bundesliga-new-boys?
Volz joins Bundesliga new boys

St Pauli have completed the signing of defender Moritz Volz, who returns to Germany after an 11-year absence.

Volz, who started his career as a 16-year-old with Arsenal, has joined the Bundesliga newcomers after passing a medical on Monday and signing a two-year contract.

He was a free agent after being released by Fulham a year ago.

"I am certain that this club suits me and I suit this club," said the 27-year-old on the club's website.

"I am looking forward to the tasks ahead, the new league and the challenge we face as a team."

Volz is the second prominent name to arrive at St Pauli following their promotion to the Bundesliga.

He joins former Germany international Gerald Asamoah, who has signed from Schalke.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-refuse-to-discuss-the%20dark%20side-bids-for-Fernando-Torres-and-Yossi-Benayouan-until-Fulham-boss-Roy-Hodgson-agrees-to-take-over-as-new-manager-article469403.html
Liverpool refuse to discuss Torres and Benayouan departures until Hodgson confirmed as boss

Liverpool will resist all attempts to snatch any of their players until they have a new manager in place.

And that seems certain to happen within the next week, with sources at Fulham confirming last night they have lost all hope of holding on to Roy Hodgson.

Liverpool dismissed claims of offers for Fernando Torres and Yossi Benayoun last night, by insisting they have not had an approach for any player, and made clear departures would have to be agreed by the incoming boss.

Spokesmen at Anfield have maintained their official position that they will not be rushed into appointing a successor to Rafa Benitez, and will consider every possible detail of every viable candidate before making an announcement.

But yesterday, a senior figure at Craven Cottage acknowledged that the London club now has no chance of persuading Hodgson to stay, with a formal approach imminent.

The Mirror revealed last week that a Liverpool board meeting on Friday has rubber-stamped a move for the experienced manager, and formal contact is expected to follow.

Fulham are aware of that interest, and after talks with their manager before he prepared to fly out to the World Cup, they are now resigned to losing him.

Talks over a contract, security of tenure should there be an Anfield takeover, and size of budget will proceed over the next week, and an official announcement could be made by next Wednesday or Thursday if agreement is reached.

Hodgson has spoken to his Fulham board, and conceded that he would find the offer to manage at Liverpool too hard to turn down, despite his affection for the Craven Cottage outfit.

Liverpool are ready to double his contract and also provide massive bonuses for a top four finish - which is the minimum requirement this coming season, after Benitez finished in a disastrous seventh place during the previous campaign.

They will also offer a minimum of £12million in cash to spend on new players, plus all money raised from sale of players the new boss deems surplus to requirements.

Liverpool are determined though, not to let any players leave until the new manager is in place, to allow him the chance to decide if he wants to keep them.

Fernando Torres is reported to be the subject of intense interest from Chelsea, with sources from the London club suggesting a £50million bid could follow.

Yossi Benayoun has also been linked with a £5.5million move to Stamford Bridge, amid suggestions that the player has already agreed a £75,000 a week contract.

But a spokesman for the Anfield club said last night that no offer had been received from any club for any of its players.

And officials were adamant that even if Chelsea do bid for Torres it will be turned down flat, with Liverpool determined to keep hold of their prized assets.

Hodgson has indicated to close friends that the first thing he will do if agrees to take the job on Merseyside will be to persuade Torres and skipper Steven Gerrard to stay.

He may be more accessible though, to allowing Javier Mascherano to leave, particularly if he can get the £40million Inter Milan are rumoured to be ready to offer for the defensive midfielder.

Hodgson would be confident of finding a replacement for an essentially negative role at that price, with money to spare to make much-needed attacking signings.

WhiteJC

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2010/June/15/edgy-england-under-pressure-say-us-stars/?
Edgy England under pressure, say US stars

IRENE, South Africa (AFP) - US star midfielders Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan see Group C rival England as under pressure as both teams try to push forward into the second round of the World Cup.

After playing to a 1-1 draw in their opener, the Americans and England both trail Slovenia, a 1-0 winner over Algeria. On Friday, the English will meet Algeria while the US faces Slovenia in critical first-round matches.

"In all likelihood, if we lose, we're out of the tournament," Donovan said Tuesday. "I would imagine the England players feel pressure to win. It's the World Cup. There's a lot of pressure to go around."

England might feel a bit more since a 1-0 lead was squandered when goalkeeper Robert Green committed his now-infamous howler to hand Clint Dempsey a goal and gift the US a point.

"It seemed they were under a lot of pressure. You could sense it," Dempsey said. "When we came back and equalized they still seemed edgy.

"You wouldn't think it was that way with the best players in the world, Chelsea and Man United. You would think they would be more at ease. There was an edge to them."

Dempsey stopped short of agreeing with German legend Franz Beckenbauer, who ripped England's effort against the US team, saying Tuesday, "It looked to me as if the English have gone backwards into the bad old times of kick and rush."

Dempsey said he would not call it a step backwards, adding, "I don't think they are a team that wants to kick and run."

There was also a sympathetic nod toward Green, whose blunder brought howls of protest at even the notion of Fabio Capello keeping him in the crease against Algeria.

"It's tough," Dempsey said. "You are under such a microscope. It's easy for someone on the outside to go after someone, but unless you have been in the situation, you don't know what it's like."

As for the ripping Green has taken, Dempsey was more matter of fact.

"That's part of what comes with the territory," he said. "You have got to be able to pull yourself up and keep going."

Dempsey assigns some criticism to the Jabulani ball being used in the World Cup, a product much maligned by many players.

"The ball does move a bit. There is a little unpredictability with it," Dempsey said. "I'm sure as the tournament goes on people are going to get more comfortable with it."

"It's tricky," agreed Donovan. "It's tough to know where the ball is going. It's not just the goalkeepers. A lot of the players are frustrated too, not knowing which way the ball would go."

Donovan does not dismiss the Americans' own challenge in facing Slovenia just because they lack such superstars as England's Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard.

"In theory, it seems easier to beat them because they don't have a Rooney or a Lampard or a Gerrard," Donovan said. "But the reality is they are tough to beat because they are a solid team and they have played together a long time."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/clubs_eye_dawson_532430/index.shtml
Clubs Eye Dawson

Rochdale defender Craig Dawson has handed in a transfer request after attracting interest from clubs at a higher level, including Fulham.

Dawson has established himself as one of the brightest prospects in the lower leagues after impressing for Rochdale last season.

Several clubs have been keeping an eye on the 20-year-old and Middlesbrough have already seen a £400k offer rejected.

Fulham, as well as Swansea City, are also showing an interest in Dawson, who was named the League Two Player of the Year last term.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/6/16/1520134/could-it-be-true-that-fulham-are?
Could It Be True That Fulham Are Verifying They Are Going To Lose Hodgson To Liverpool?

I just saw a story that is tough to write about. According to the Daily Mirror, a Fulham source is verifying that the Cottagers have no chance to hold on to Hodgson. They are also expecting an official approach soon.

The article also mentions that Hodgson met with the Fulham board and told them an offer from Liverpool would be hard to refuse. The Daily Mirror article also talks about that a discussion on an agreement for Hodgson with Liverpool should happen over the next week.   

If this information is true it could be an extremely sad day for Fulham fans. Right now this is a story, but we still have to wait to hear for any official word from Fulham regarding Roy Hodgson's future with the club. I will obviously be updating this story regarding Roy Hodgson potentially becoming the new manager of Liverpool. 

WhiteJC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=796992&sec=england&cc=5739
Sven throws his hat in the ring for Liverpool job

Sven-Goran Eriksson is one of the names Liverpool will consider as Rafa Benitez successor, according to Soccernet sources.

Eriksson threw his hat into the ring by declaring his interest as soon as Benitez walked out of Anfield and joined Inter Milan And the former England coach, now in charge of Ivory Coast for the duration of the World Cup in South Africa, would be eager to return to English football as he has confessed that he was a closet Liverpool fan and would love the job on Merseyside.

That has drawn Liverpool's attention to Eriksson as a candidate, and one leading football agent told Soccernet on Tuesday: "My information is that his name has been mentioned now at board level at Liverpool.

"Roy Hodgson is the clear favourite, but in reality, although he has been portrayed as a readymade replacement for Benitez, Fulham finished in mid table, and I am not so sure about it."

Eriksson also has experience and he was very popular in his last job in the Premier League at Manchester City, where the fans campaigned for the Swede to stay before he was replaced by Mark Hughes.

Although it was a nightmare at Notts County, after he was sacked by Mexico, the controversial coach would make Liverpool his No.1 choice for a dramatic return, the question is whether Liverpool feel the same.

WhiteJC

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/06/16/SOCCER_Liverpool_Beardsley.html&TEAMHD=soccer
KENNY KEY TO KEEPING STARS - BEARDSLEY

Liverpool legend Peter Beardsley is confident Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres will stay with the club if Kenny Dalglish is re-appointed as manager.

The two players' futures with the Merseyside outfit are uncertain after a hugely disappointing 2009/10 season at Anfield and boss Rafael Benitez's departure by mutual consent earlier this month.

Dalglish - who is widely regarded as Liverpool's greatest ever player and enjoyed a successful spell in charge from 1985 to 1991 - is believed to be interested in succeeding Benitez, and Beardsley feels the Scot's return to the helm would be enough to persuade Gerrard and Torres to stay.

"I'm not saying he would be a massive success straight away because there are a lot of problems at Liverpool," Beardsley said.

"They are not Kenny's problems but they need to be resolved - the Steven Gerrard issue, the Fernando Torres issue - and I think you would have more chance of keeping those players if you had a hero like Kenny in charge of the team.

"You look at Torres and he probably came to Liverpool on the strength of watching Dalglish as a player, and Gerrard grew up watching that team.

"So I would think you'd have no problem keeping both of them if Kenny Dalglish was your manager."

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson is another name being strongly linked with the post, but Beardsley - who played for Liverpool between 1987 and 1991 - has no doubts that Dalglish is the man for the job.

"Roy Hodgson is obviously a great manager and has proved that with Fulham and all over the world, but I wouldn't look further than Kenny," said Beardsley.

"I played for four years under Kenny and won the league twice and the FA Cup. He gave me his number seven shirt and to wear it for Liverpool was special.

"We were not able to play in Europe in those days, so what he did in my time at the club, and winning the double before I even arrived, was sensational.

"I can't speak for the people of Liverpool but I know the fans would love him and when I look at him, his football knowledge and his football mentality, he loves the game.

"What he means to Liverpool is sensational and I would have no qualms about giving him the job."

:: Beardsley was speaking in Liverpool at the Sony Centre and fronting a campaign where customers can trade in their old TV sets for up to £150 off a brand new Sony BRAVIA from now until July 11, the day of the World Cup final.

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/16/rafael-benitez-kenny-dalglish
Rafael Benítez backs Kenny Dalglish to get Liverpool job
• Benítez says Dalglish would be perfect as his successor
• 'It was a really sad day when I had to leave Liverpool'

Football Rafael Benítez yesterday checked in at Internazionale, immediately endearing himself to his new employers by describing the job as "the perfect opportunity" while offering a piece of advice for his old ones back on Merseyside. The Spaniard said his former club should appoint Kenny Dalglish as their manager and forget about trying to lure Roy Hodgson from Premier League rivals Fulham.

"I think they should look at Kenny Dalglish," he said. "He is the best man for the job. The owners should listen to the fans because they are unhappy. No one knows the club better than Dalglish and he would be perfect there. He wants the job and in my opinion should get it."

Benítez, otherwise, tried to avoid talking about Liverpool at his Inter unveiling and there was no settling of scores with Tom Hicks, George Gillett or any other Liverpool suits with whom he fought. But there was the admission that, due to circumstances at Anfield, he had to go.

Benítez left Liverpool with a £6m severance payment, of course, the first £3m instalment offered in exchange for consent to his departure after one backwards step of a season and one too many disputes with the club's hierarchy. It would be a surprise if the final pay-off did not include a confidentiality clause but there was a sense of Benítez wishing to move on from the turbulence that characterised his final few years at Anfield having, within a week of his exit, signed a two-year contract with the reigning European champions.

"It was difficult to leave Liverpool after six years working there. I had amazing times there," said Benítez. "Also my daughter is seven, she lived most of her life there. It's not easy but things changed so I needed to move and I had the perfect opportunity to come to Inter. The club was fantastic, the fans amazing so it was a really sad day when I had to go but things changed so it was obvious I had to do it."

Benítez made a brief and emotional return to Merseyside last week when he donated £96,000 to the Hillsborough Family Support Group and what was described as "a significant amount" to the Lily Centre, a breast cancer support group where his wife, Montse, is patron. The causes that matter addressed, he saw little point in expending energy on Hicks and Gillett, the Liverpool co-owners whose takeover and financial problems provided the root cause of his ultimate frustrations.

Javier Mascherano, Dirk Kuyt and even Steven Gerrard have been touted as possible signings for Inter, but a new start at a new club in a new country has not brought a new era of openness from the Spaniard when it comes to transfer targets. After recent frugal times at Anfield, he will simply be pleased to have some.

"I will try to buy good players, of a good level who will suit a top-level club but I can't say their names. I don't talk about players of other teams," he said. The Italian press will soon become accustomed to hearing that line. As for those at Liverpool, Benítez added: "I have been in contact with the majority of players and the majority said thanks for everything and all the best. I talked to Gerrard when it was his birthday and he's fine. He wants to talk about the World Cup now, not anything else."

Despite the stark personality contrast with his Inter predecessor, Benítez's football was not wholly dissimilar to José Mourinho's at Chelsea, as Jorge Valdano once infamously noted. There is, he accepts, little to fix at the European champions. "I don't think I am the anti-Mourinho but I am different," Benítez said.

"Inter are coming off an almost perfect year. I want the footballers not to lose the desire to win. I want to keep that winning mentality and I think I can. I'm happy to have top-class players. The difficulty will be keeping this level but we can do that. I think the level is high and if we can keep that winning spirit I think we can do well. If the players can do the same again this year, for two more years or even more, it will be an historic period for the club."

Dalglish's son, meanwhile, has claimed his father only wants to succeed Benítez at Anfield owing to an absence of credible alternatives. Paul Dalglish, now head coach of Tampa Bay Rowdies, revealed: "It's not as though José Mourinho is going to come and do the job. It's not as though Fabio Capello's going to leave England to become the next manager of Liverpool. My dad wants to do the job and he feels he is the best person available to do the job. If José Mourinho was available and he wanted to do the job, my dad wouldn't have any interest in it because all my dad ever does is act in the best interests of Liverpool Football Club."

WhiteJC

http://ghanaian-chronicle.com/sports/x-world-cup-2010-john-pantsil-targets-semi-final/
X World Cup 2010: John Pantsil targets semi-final

Ghana right-back John Pantsil expects no less than a semi-final appearance for his country at the World Cup in South Africa.

The Fulham defender told BBC World Service's Sportsworld: "An African country can lift the cup.

"In Germany in 2006 we reached the last 16 but now, with Africa hosting and a stronger squad I have full confidence of us being in the semi-finals. "It is a big chance for Africa to achieve," he added.

Ghana will be looking to build on their 2006 World Cup campaign which saw them notch up impressive wins against Czech Republic and the USA, before being knocked out by Brazil in the next round. "Our group is very tricky but we have to focus on doing better than before," he said.

The Black Stars line up in Group D alongside Germany, Australia and Serbia. Their first game, against Serbia, takes place on 13 June in Pretoria.

After an impressive African Cup of Nations campaign, which saw Ghana lose 1-0 in the final to Egypt, confidence in the camp is high. Pantsil missed out on the competition because of a ligament injury, but now has his sights firmly set on an outstanding showing in South Africa.

He is also looking forward to having the full support of not only his home country Ghana, but the rest of the continent, too.
"All the African countries will get great support from South Africa. African fans will not support one country but will support Africa," Pantsil said. "In Africa we love football."

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/germany/7830964/Roy-Hodgson-Germany-are-alone-in-mastering-tricky-conditions-at-World-Cup-2010.html?
Roy Hodgson: Germany are alone in mastering tricky conditions at World Cup 2010
As with previous World Cups, my initial impressions of this one have not been good.

Few goals have been scored and goalkeepers have been largely untested. If we add into the equation a foolish handball for a penalty by Serbia, the inexplicable headed own goal by Denmark and the unfortunate slip by the England goalkeeper, then it's obvious that quality goals are at a premium.

But I have no wish to be negative. I know that the tournament has only just begun and that, traditionally, players improve as it progresses. And there are mitigating factors. A lot has been said about the ball, which is light and flies quickly through the air, especially at altitude. We have seen over-hit corners, goalkeepers kicking to each other and free-kicks blazed over the crossbar.

But there is another factor. The newly laid pitches are good, but they are making the ball very lively and the bounce very high. You can see that the players are surprised by the speed of it and the ball is running under their feet – which doesn't usually happen. Towards the end of their game against Japan, a Cameroon player tried to slip an overlapping full-back into the penalty area but the ball ran out of play. He appeared to strike the ball correctly but it picked up pace.

It was similar to the way artificial pitches play. Sometimes pitches can be excellent quality but it depends on what is underneath the surface.

We are seeing hardly any balls played in behind defenders which then hold up for the strikers. They all fly on. But the biggest reason for the disappointing football so far, I believe, has been the nervous tension. The fear factor that accompanies players onto the pitch makes avoiding mistakes far more important than any sense of adventure or willingness to take risks.

I'm sure all the coaches must be preoccupied with the question: "How can I get my players to relax?" If they can, then they will forget the importance of the occasion and play the football of which they are capable.

But one only has to look at the players' faces during the national anthems to see that this is the culmination of a two-year event. When that day arrives, it doesn't matter how experienced or how confident you are, that little shudder of excitement – of stage-fright almost – is going to strike.

The players will overcome that as the tournament progresses, and they will get used to the balls and the pitches. Once the players start to get into their rhythm we will see the stars finding their form.

One team who can be exempt from criticism is, of course, Germany, who produced a superb performance to beat Australia. They are strong and well-drilled, have great ability in the final third, and they made good decisions as to when to keep the ball and when to play it in behind the Australian defence.

They were great value for their four goals and could have scored more, given the chances they created. On the back of this result they have already achieved favourites' status and their coach, Joachim Low, will be anxious to play down the euphoria after what was a good performance and victory but nothing more than that as yet.

From a technical viewpoint, Germany are, I'm sad to say, the only team who have totally convinced me so far with the tempo of their passing game, their movement off the ball and their desire to get in behind defenders. They have combined this with defensive discipline and a high work-rate throughout the team.

A lack of tempo in most games cannot be due to the heat, although the rarefied atmosphere could be more significant than we realised.

Another thing that has occurred to me is the amount of possession and time on the ball being enjoyed by the centre-backs, and their ability to start moves off could be crucial. We have seen some well-struck diagonal passes, but I'm thinking more of the role they could play in threading passes through to advanced midfielders, or forwards who have come off their defender and found room to turn in that space between the lines. Or even by bringing the ball forward themselves.

We have seen a lot of crosses into the box but most have been of the hopeful variety. What I'm looking for is the pass into the penalty box rather than the long kick.

With so many good midfielders and attackers taking part in the tournament I'm sure we will see more of the type of football Germany have demonstrated.

Finally, on the subject of referees, they have been very competent so far. Luckily, Fifa has limited the rule which means that two yellow cards equals a one-game suspension to the group games and the round of 16. Which means that we have a good chance this time of seeing the star players in the final stages.

If we all keep the faith and the optimism I'm sure we will see many matches that bring us to the edge of our seats – especially those involving our own England team.

The Equalizer

Wise words from Uncle Roy there. Excellent write-up.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/June/FixturesOutonThursday.aspx?
Fixtures Out on Thursday

The fixture schedule for the 2010/11 Barclays Premier League season will be announced on Thursday at 9am (BST).

Be sure to keep an eye on fulhamfc.com as all the key dates for the forthcoming campaign are announced.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/June/FixturesOutonThursday.aspx?#ixzz0r0K2O0Vm

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6208993,00.html?
Fener can forget about Gera
Hungarian's agent rules out Turkish move

Zoltan Gera's agent claims his client has no desire to join Fenerbahce as he is happy in England.

Reports in Turkey had suggested that Fener were preparing to launch a summer raid for the Fulham midfielder.

It is claimed that officials from the Turkish giants travelled to London last week to meet with Gera's representatives.

However, the Hungarian's agent has distanced Gera from any transfer talk, claiming the 31-year-old playmaker is settled at Craven Cottage and has no desire to secure a switch elsewhere.

"Gera is contracted to Fulham and a club change for him would only be possible within England, or maybe to a western European team," Filipovic Vladan told www.origo.hu.

"I don't think there's any chance of him moving to Turkey."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/leaving_fulham_could_jeopardise_england_job__insider_532537/index.shtml
Leaving Fulham Could Jeopardise England Job - Insider

Fulham chiefs are working on manager Roy Hodgson, urging him to resist any offer from Liverpool.

Fulham insist they have had no approach yet but are braced for a fight to hang on to their boss.

Owner Mohamed Al Fayed recently made £1.5b from the sale of posh London store Harrods and has vowed to use it to plough more cash into the club.

Hodgson is also a candidate to eventually replace England boss Fabio Capello and could miss out if he joins Liverpool this summer and the Italian quits after the World Cup.

A Fulham insider told The Sun: "Leaving Fulham to take over at England would be seen as the pinnacle of Roy's career. And everyone thinks that's what he would love to do. He could miss out on that if he gets tempted by Liverpool and then the England job comes up not long after.

"There's also the question of Liverpool being up for sale at the moment. Roy could go there under the current owners, new men

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/June/DempseyonSlovenia.aspx
Dempsey Hopes to Maintain Momentum

Fulham's Clint Dempsey is hoping the United States national team will be able to build on their World Cup draw with England as they prepare to face Slovenia in Johannesburg on Friday.

The States are certainly on a fine run of form in tournament football - having reached the final of the Confederations Cup in South Africa last summer.  Despite a shaky start, the States managed to qualify from their group before beating Spain on their way to the Final against Brazil.

And Dempsey is certainly hoping that his side's big tournament experience will help them to victory at Ellis Park on Friday.

"It gave us confidence that we can come to a place and do well, and we have good memories from the Confederations Cup," he said. "Every time you go somewhere that you've been successful before you kind of have that in the back of your mind. We just hope that we can keep going - we got a good result against England, a point is good.

"It still keeps us in a position that, if we get two results in our favour, we can advance out of the group and that's been the main goal from the get-go.

"There is pressure every game. You have to play every game like it's your last and that's been our mentality from the first game. You could say England is dealing with a lot of pressure because Slovenia beat Algeria and if England doesn't get something against Algeria, they're going to be in trouble. I think there is pressure on us and England because Slovenia won their first game."

Although the States go into Friday's game as favourites, Dempsey is not underestimating his opponents.

"They have players who can cause problems so we're going to have to play our best game to get something out of it," he said.

"We know it's going to be a tough game. I got to see them play against Russia, and they did well in that game against a tough opponent, grinding out a result. Even though there was a lot of talk about us against England, we all knew that we still had Algeria and Slovenia to play and those games are going to be tough.

"Every team is going to be fighting as hard as they can because, how many times do you get to play in a World Cup and do something special? That's the best part about the World Cup, that's why we're here. I think Slovenia is a good team but I hope we're the better team."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/June/DempseyonSlovenia.aspx#ixzz0r1IvHUxu

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-chiefs-accept-losing-hodgson-liverpool-912451?
Fulham chiefs accept losing Hodgson to Liverpool

Fulham accept manager Roy Hodgson is set to join Liverpool, it has been revealed.

The Mirror says sources at Fulham confirmed last night they have lost all hope of holding on to Hodgson.

A Liverpool board meeting on Friday has rubber-stamped a move for the experienced manager, and formal contact is expected to follow.

Fulham are aware of that interest, and after talks with their manager before he prepared to fly out to the World Cup, they are now resigned to losing him.

Talks over a contract, security of tenure should there be an Anfield takeover, and size of budget will proceed over the next week, and an official announcement could be made by next Wednesday or Thursday if agreement is reached.

Hodgson has spoken to his Fulham board, and conceded that he would find the offer to manage at Liverpool too hard to turn down, despite his affection for the Craven Cottage outfit.

Liverpool are ready to double his contract and also provide massive bonuses for a top four finish - which is the minimum requirement this coming season.

Teabag

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 16, 2010, 01:54:01 PM
a top four finish - which is the minimum requirement this coming season.

Top 4 finish!! No chance. Stay here Roy.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=201914
Fulham - Hodgson Replacements?
It's a subject I hoped not to touch on for the meantime, yet, Roy Hodgson's departure from Fulham is looking all the more imminent. Liverpool are, without doubt, close to luring our manager away, and if he does leave, it will be difficult to take on the chin for us Fulham fans.

The ex-Inter Milan boss has provided nothing short of a miracle for our humble club, and what he's done for Fulham FC will be hard to repeat, never mind better.

However defeatist the attitude may seem, perhaps it's time Mr Al Fayed drew up a preliminary list of potential gaffers who have the guts to take charge in what will now be quite a pressurised job.

The media haven't quite jumped the gun, and, after the scouring the net, only two names have been briefly linked with what may soon become a vacant post at Craven Cottage; Sven-Goran Eriksson and Mark Hughes.

The only logical reason behind these two suggestions would be that our current chief executive, Alistair Mackintosh, has worked closely with the pair of them in his previous stint with the now mighty, Manchester City.

It's safe to say that there is not a vast array of talent in the unemployed-managers market as it stands, so if there ever was a good time to lose Hodgson, this certainly isn't it.

Alongside Eriksson and Hughes, few fit the bill for managing a side who lost out on a huge European success in extra time, just over a month ago. However, from a brief list of jobless managers, there are a number who could potentially step up to the plate.

Alan Curbishley. There's no doubt the former West Ham and Charlton manager has the ability to bring out the best in the players available to him. He's a good man manager who has a proven record, but, his mid table mediocrity at both aforementioned sides might be a slight deterrent to us.

Tony Mowbray. Very much a long shot here, but his attractive brand of football is something I feel would keep continuity from Hodgson's era. On the downside, of course, are his recent disappointments at both West Brom and Celtic.

Gianfranco Zola. Again, from the outside, this would seem like a weak choice. His inexperience and poor return on results at West Ham certainly work against him, but his positive nature and youthfulness may be a bright aspect at our currently stable club. There's no doubt he has the potential to succeed, but his 'nicey-nice' approach to the game would make him a big risk.

Sven-Goran Eriksson. I can't say I was delighted to see his name linked with us. The job he did at Mexico was far from admirable and he is well known for his 'exploits' while at the helm of the English national team. He does, though, have a rather good record, although, mainly abroad. In that sense, he holds similarity to Roy, and his tactical nous could prove incredibly beneficial to us. The Swede would also bring Premier League experience to the table as his job with Manchester City was, despite being labeled otherwise, actually quite competent. Whether he would be popular with the fans is another subject altogether.

Mark Hughes. Without doubt, my preferred choice. Again, he is a former Manchester City manager, but, he has a clean slate in that the Welshman possesses no real blemishes on his record. The role he played at Blackburn was key to their success, and there's no doubt he could replicate that with the supported funding from our own Mohammed Al Fayed. It remains to be seen whether Mark himself would jump at the chance to take control here in London, though.

I for one hope he does. However, what do you guys think?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=201914#ixzz0r258WYlC