more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

nfr commonwealth games

Started by fulhamben, July 24, 2014, 11:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Peabody on July 25, 2014, 08:26:23 PM
Watching the bowls this evening, why am I not as accurate as these fellas?

backspin?
I spent most of this week writing reports about city council sports provision with no subsidies as they have all been withdrawn. I'm afraid bowls faired badly.
Post Olympic legacy???????????????
I'd love it, as somebody once said, if one of the little places like St Helena who made one heck of a journey get a podium place and recognition.

epsomraver

Quote from: fulhamben on July 25, 2014, 07:43:59 PM
id rather land of hope and glory

0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg

fulhamben

Quote from: epsomraver on July 25, 2014, 09:29:14 PM

i take it you like that then
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

mitimo

It's 'Advance Australia Fair' for the Aussies, has been since about 1974.

manxman

Both of my cousins are cycling , joe and jake Kelly.

COME ON THE ISLE OF MAN !!!

MANX AND PROUD
"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

HatterDon

Quote from: manxman on July 26, 2014, 01:35:07 AM
Both of my cousins are cycling , joe and jake Kelly.

COME ON THE ISLE OF MAN !!!

MANX AND PROUD

I'm just a septic, but I think that it's unfair that people from the Isle of Man compete in cycling. Certainly the extra leg gives y'all an unfair boost
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

Quote from: fulhamben on July 25, 2014, 09:30:59 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on July 25, 2014, 09:29:14 PM

i take it you like that then

+1
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

CorkedHat

Quote from: Berserker on July 25, 2014, 07:07:10 PM
Yes they play Jerusalem for England. Not sure what they play for Scotland.
I thought Waltzing Matilta was Australia's but I didn't recognise their anthem yesterday

When Australia had a referendum on what should be their National Anthem, Advance Australia Fair won with over 43% of the vote – Waltzing Matilda came second with 28% , God Save the Queen  with just under 18% and Song of Australia with around 11%. Advance Australia Fair has been officially the National Anthem now for thirty years :down_under:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Holders

Waltzing Matilda is to the tune of an old English recruiting song called, I think, "Marching through Rochester". Rather like the US national anthem, these tunes get recycled.

I must admit I was surprised to hear "Jerusalem" introduced as the national anthem of England! News to me. I wonder if the anthem of Israel is "Maybe it's because I'm  a Londoner".

Perhaps we could have a referendum like the Aussies.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Holders on July 26, 2014, 02:16:05 PM
Waltzing Matilda is to the tune of an old English recruiting song called, I think, "Marching through Rochester". Rather like the US national anthem, these tunes get recycled.

I must admit I was surprised to hear "Jerusalem" introduced as the national anthem of England! News to me. I wonder if the anthem of Israel is "Maybe it's because I'm  a Londoner".

Lol how funny would that be if israel sang that! If you listen to the words though jerusalem is all about england. It has nothing to do with jerusalem or israel. Its a metaphor to suggest england is a special place. Thats my understanding of it anyway. An anthem about england should be about all things great about our country, not just a loving of the queen. That should be britains anthem as she is of common interest to all 4countries.

Thats my view anyway
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on July 26, 2014, 03:14:08 PM

I must admit I was surprised to hear "Jerusalem" introduced as the national anthem of England! News to me. I wonder if the anthem of Israel is "Maybe it's because I'm  a Londoner".

Lol how funny would that be if israel sang that! If you listen to the words though jerusalem is all about england. It has nothing to do with jerusalem or israel. Its a metaphor to suggest england is a special place. Thats my understanding of it anyway. An anthem about england should be about all things great about our country, not just a loving of the queen. That should be britains anthem as she is of common interest to all 4countries.

Thats my view anyway

I was under the impression that GSTQ was the anthem for the whole of the UK. I also agree with you that an anthem should be about the country and not its monarch - or any particular brand of deity. To me the words of Jerusalem hold that place up as some kind of Utopia and speculate as to whether a particular middle-eastern deity came to England. Despite the positive references to England, I don't find those other concepts particularly acceptable. To be told by the Commonwealth Games announcer that it was "the national anthem of England" shook me. Since when? The French sing the Marseillaise. At least Marseilles is in France.

Just out of curiosity, DB, do you know what they would play for Northern Ireland? Would it be the (London)Derry Air?

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Holders on July 26, 2014, 05:17:16 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on July 26, 2014, 03:14:08 PM

Thats my view anyway

I was under the impression that GSTQ was the anthem for the whole of the UK. I also agree with you that an anthem should be about the country and not its monarch - or any particular brand of deity. To me the words of Jerusalem hold that place up as some kind of Utopia and speculate as to whether a particular middle-eastern deity came to England. Despite the positive references to England, I don't find those other concepts particularly acceptable. To be told by the Commonwealth Games announcer that it was "the national anthem of England" shook me. Since when? The French sing the Marseillaise. At least Marseilles is in France.

Just out of curiosity, DB, do you know what they would play for Northern Ireland? Would it be the (London)Derry Air?

Havent got a clue mate. Im sure they must have their own anthem. Thats my point, all of us should have our own but when great britain is represented as one then gstq is appropriate.

Nothing against the queen but england isnt just about her. Everyone views jerusalem different, im was just shocked but very happy that gstq wasnt played for england.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

Apparently what we're hearing at the CG are regional anthems.

Just checked it! Try this, just for you:

NATIONAL ANTHEM OF NORTHERN IRELAND

fulhamben

How awesome is francesca halsall.  First off she beats the Campbell sisters to the gold in the 50m freestyle, also setting a new games record and setting the fastest time this year.  She then follows that up with setting a new games record in the 50m butterfly semi just 20 mins later

CorkedHat

Quote from: mitimo on July 26, 2014, 01:30:32 AM
It's 'Advance Australia Fair' for the Aussies, has been since about 1974.

It could have been me saying that
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Wingnut

Quote from: Holders on July 26, 2014, 08:09:36 PM
Apparently what we're hearing at the CG are regional anthems.

Just checked it! Try this, just for you:

NATIONAL ANTHEM OF NORTHERN IRELAND

I know that Barry McGuigan used this as his "anthem" when he boxed but I never realized that N.I. had taken DB as it's anthem for these games. Anthems and flags seem to be a massive issue in NI, so this is probably a safe compromise. Some haul of medals for Scotland in the judo. Gemma Gibons, silver medalist in London, brilliant player, lost her gold medal fight and seemed really disappointed. She wasn't at her best though, to be honest.

The world championships are coming up next month in Russia, which is going to be interesting given the current political situation there but it made me think about how the players view a competition like the CGs. I mean, if you aim to peak for one tournament this season, it's the world champs, surely?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Holders

They seem to be taking them really seriously. Maybe the Olympics and WCs are the main things but the CG is a good third. I agree on Fran Halsall and so modest with it. Did anyone see Zoe something, the weightlifter? She was chuffed as was the Welsh girl who won the gymnastics. Credit to them all.

DB does seem to be a good compromise for NI that hopefully no-one could take offence to, hopefully they'll win a gold and we can hear it. Lovely tune. What else could it have been? The Mountains of Mourne? That was probably a no-go as it mentions London (maybe Israel would like to adopt it though). In passing, when in NI a year or so back, near said mountains, in the same town I saw the premises of Mr Lawless, Solicitor and the Mourne Funeral Parlour - and some say they have no sense of humour.

The point about Russia is an interesting one. I'd been wondering if the situation remained unchanged if any country would not send a team to the WC or maybe the world championships. Hard on the athletes, of course but it's been done before. Little else seems to make an impression on that pariah state.

fulhamben

Wow what a race in the men's 4x400m. What a final leg. Thought he went well to early for the gold. Dug in deep.woman took bronze too

MrProphet

I swear it was ableslam quaddou who won the 4x400 for us!

fulhamben

Lol for about a second, I thought we was going to win the four by one. Then I remembered who was seeing it home for the Jamaicans. Good silver though