more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Maarten Stekelenburg

Started by Admin, July 29, 2014, 02:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beijing ben

Quote from: FulhamStu on July 29, 2014, 03:27:33 PM
Was Stockdale told Stekelenberg would be no 1 ?
We all thought Stekelenberg was off but is there any real evidence for it?
Amor/Mitro/Ruiz/ all thought to be off and given squad numbers, so at
the moment it is still all very unclear.  I guess everyone has their price and
we will want what we think these players are worth, otherwise they stay and
fight for a place with the rest of the squad.  Unlike Mr Jol, I expect Felix
will only play them if they truely merit it.

What I would say about Stekelenberg is this.  He looked to me to be
potentially a very good goal keeper.  You don't end up as the Dutch no 1
if you are useless.   He had an injury last season and played behind a
terrible defence.  He is a good size and has good skills.  Sure, he made a couple
of costly cock ups but all keepers do this.  I remember some real howlers from EVDS.

I will be all for giving him a clean slate if he is to be our no1.  I personally
still think he will be off but maybe now, only if we sign an adequate replacement.

'some' real howlers from EVDS. I only remember one (for us) against Arsenal with Reyes taking the ball from him..

Agree with you about Stek which is why i assumed he'd be off. I think he thinks the Championship is beneath him and if he wants to get back into the Dutch squad he needs to be playing at a higher level..

aaronmcguigan

Stek was given a squad number because it was obv his from last season, and it will be his until he is sold, and if someone else comes in they can have the number 1 jersey. Giving him a squad number means nothing, it was already his and he hasnt left.

Toby Ward-Smith

Quote from: FulhamStu on July 29, 2014, 03:27:33 PM
Was Stockdale told Stekelenberg would be no 1 ?
We all thought Stekelenberg was off but is there any real evidence for it?
Amor/Mitro/Ruiz/ all thought to be off and given squad numbers, so at
the moment it is still all very unclear.  I guess everyone has their price and
we will want what we think these players are worth, otherwise they stay and
fight for a place with the rest of the squad.  Unlike Mr Jol, I expect Felix
will only play them if they truely merit it.

What I would say about Stekelenberg is this.  He looked to me to be
potentially a very good goal keeper.  You don't end up as the Dutch no 1
if you are useless.   He had an injury last season and played behind a
terrible defence.  He is a good size and has good skills.  Sure, he made a couple
of costly cock ups but all keepers do this.  I remember some real howlers from EVDS.

I will be all for giving him a clean slate if he is to be our no1.  I personally
still think he will be off but maybe now, only if we sign an adequate replacement.

bucksfulham

Quote from: daveygxxx on July 29, 2014, 03:21:59 PM
Hey what ever happened to Neil Ethridge? He was looking promising for a while there. (except for the Europa league match vs Odense - not his fault but still...) Did I miss him leaving or is he just waaay down the pecking order?
Released at the end of June. Tranfermarkt has him as unemployed.

cmg

Quote from: aaronmcguigan on July 29, 2014, 03:45:36 PM
Stek was given a squad number because it was obv his from last season, and it will be his until he is sold, and if someone else comes in they can have the number 1 jersey. Giving him a squad number means nothing, it was already his and he hasnt left.

.....is the correct answer.    :54:

HatterDon

The keeper he reminds me most of is Antii Niemi. But, what the hell, Niemi would have been a pretty good Championship-level keeper.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AlexH

I get the feeling he has just kept last season's number for now until he's sold.

If he can regain his confidence he could be great, but if he were to leave then I can't say I'd be upset.

hovewhite

I'm not sure about him at all,but if he starts its a fresh start for him and you can't help feel for any keeper behind lasts years defence.

Nero

Quote from: daveygxxx on July 29, 2014, 03:21:59 PM
Hey what ever happened to Neil Ethridge? He was looking promising for a while there. (except for the Europa league match vs Odense - not his fault but still...) Did I miss him leaving or is he just waaay down the pecking order?

He was released at the end of the season, currently unattached and looking for a new club.

As for our No1 don't think Felix thinks like that if you in form your in if you aren't cutting the mustard you're on the bench

DukeTyrion

I think it was a case of the club wanting to sell either of Stekelenberg or Stockdale. I suspect the was expecting to shift the former, but since an offer came in for Stockdale then it was effectively job done.

Pie and mash

Like to see Bogdan come in, all gone quiet

H4usuallysitting

The person that told me last week that Rodders is staying and would be Captain on Saturday, also said that Stek had been isolated from the first team.......because of his refusal to train and not co-operate with the coaches

Pie and mash

If that's true selling Stockdale was lunacy

leonffc

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on July 29, 2014, 10:08:53 PM
The person that told me last week that Rodders is staying and would be Captain on Saturday, also said that Stek had been isolated from the first team.......because of his refusal to train and not co-operate with the coaches

If true, a pretty shocking attitude considering he is a coach himself with the national (U21??) side.

Sammyffc

Quote from: leonffc on July 30, 2014, 06:54:44 AM

If true, a pretty shocking attitude considering he is a coach himself with the national (U21??) side.

thats a different person.

leonffc

Quote from: Sammyffc on July 30, 2014, 07:03:41 AM

Is it? Ha Ha, That makes sense as I thought it strange he would be allowed to do that whislt being employed as a professional.

leonffc

Quote from: leonffc on July 30, 2014, 07:05:31 AM
Quote from: Sammyffc on July 30, 2014, 07:03:41 AM

Is it? Ha Ha, That makes sense as I thought it strange he would be allowed to do that whislt being employed as a professional.

So it is. I just thought he was a GK with the kids. He is head coach of the U17s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maarten_Stekelenburg_(born_1972)

JBH

Quote from: Pie and mash on July 29, 2014, 10:11:04 PM
If that's true selling Stockdale was lunacy

Stockdale has an equally bad attitude so getting rid of him was a good move, plus he really isn't that good :028:

Skatzoffc

Can't say I'm bothered if he goes.
It'll inly  be so long before he rolls onto the remote control while on the sofa and dislocates his shoulder again anyway.
:005:
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Holders

I can't think what he's trying to achieve except tarnish his reputation. The club didn't get relegated just to spite him and he signed the contract. If this is because he was dropped for Stocko last year it's pretty pathetic.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria