watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'm Angry

Started by jags24, July 29, 2014, 08:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pluto

Christ how are people still arguing about this.

1) Its nothing like an 11m up front fee
2) We've bought the closest we can to guarenteed goals in his division - the guy who was top scorer in the division last season
3) We have shed loads of money

We've signed a top player - cheer up!

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 30, 2014, 12:18:30 PM
We need another big name, big money signing SOON. We need another player to argue about and say why the money would have been better spent on a cupboard and a set of drawers.

:005:

Well done Lighthouse.

It is an indication of how far a thread is off target when Lighthouse can see the funny side and make a good joke about it.

Arthur

Quote from: jags24 on July 30, 2014, 11:23:12 AM
There are young prospects out there whom you can pay 2.5mn for instead of 10mn like Origi.  Like Liverpool bought Assaidi.

I hate Liverpool, I just think they are doing better business than us these days.  They buy young players with upside and who hold their value, for the most part.

While agreeing with Lighthouse and AttM, I still want to point out the irony of your choice of Assaidi as an example of Liverpool's 'better business'.

We tried to sign him. If some media reports at the time are to be believed, the player even came over from the Netherlands to look at our facilities at Motspur Park.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2188963/Fulham-want-Heerenveens-Oussama-Assaidi.html

A couple of days later, he signed for Liverpool. Your own example actually serves to reinforce the point that other contributors to this thread have pointed out (and which you are trying to argue against): many a good foreign player will overlook us in favour of a Club with a higher profile; we, therefore, have to do our transfer business within a more limited market; other clubs, moreover, know this and negotiate accordingly.

grandad

I´m quite laid back at the moment. We have spent a little but recouped that with players sold. We have shed loads of cash to spend in this window & in January. We have got rid of all the rubbish from last season together with their high wages. We only have 2 players over 30. The rebuild has started but there is no instant cure of our non investment over the last few years. Onwards & upwards.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Logicalman

Jags, many can see the point you're making, we need good players without losing an arm and a leg, but to compare our recent signings with what Liverpool are doing in the market is just the chalk vs cheese argument.

Players are willing to reduce their demands to get into a team like Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City etc simply because they know that, given the chance to play, they could achieve some level of success and exposure meaning they can move on the season after for more money elsewhere.

Compared to Fulham, not so much. We sign players that we need to get back into the top flight, but they don't come cheap, and they have a lot less chance to shine in the fizzy league for a quick pay-day. If we have to spend 10 Mill on a player that knocks the goals in for us, rather than on two that might or might not be good enough, then I would go for the former. Even when we were in the Prem, we were not on the same level as the top teams when it comes to transfers, either financially or otherwise.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

eloc

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on July 29, 2014, 09:42:06 PM
Why are you angry?
It's not as if its your money.

Liverpool have paid for the potential, Fulham have paid for the experience of been there, done it, got the t shirt.

At this moment in time, I'd rather have the experience than paying that sort of money for potential, especially when we have quite a few players with huge potential
my take on it is that i highly doubt we are going to recoup the cost of buying him, outside of the money he brings in by scoring(e.g. promotion) oriogi is very young and looks to have a lot of potential. theres a much better chance of him becoming a much better player and which time liverpool can sell him off for a fee much higher than they paid and re invest in the team. Fulham probably wont be able to do that with mccormack, as he's 28 and most strikers peak between 26-29, save for the large aerial duelist. It's not my money but i would like to see the team not throw away money so readily.

eloc

Quote from: Mokes on July 29, 2014, 11:47:45 PM
You're looking at this totally the wrong way dude.. Sure it would be nice to be able to spend 10 mil on a kid that has potential and might be really good in a few years just to send him out on loan and hope he comes back a star. If you want to support a club that does that though, you probably need to be supporting one of the big clubs, or Tottenham. Fulham are not really in a position to do that though are we. What we have done is gone out and bought the golden boot winner or the league we are now in. The Championship is a totally different class to the Premiership and you need to accept that. Maybe McCormack wouldn't set the premiership on fire, but that is irrelevant to us, he is capable of setting the Championship on fire and that is what matters. We need to be the best team in the league that we're in, then once we're back in the big time we can worry about the rest.

We have a squad made up of really exciting young players, the leagues top striker, A really solid keeper, Scott Parker who would probably be the most experienced player in the league and a Manager who knows his s@#t. As well as some decent Premier League talent like Kaca (also a national team player) and Rodallega and one of the most exciting prospects we have had for a while in Chris David. If we manage to sign 2 more decent experienced players, a good CB and a good CM we will be one of the most attractive and balanced teams in the league that we're in. On top of that we still have one of the best youth systems in country, if not the best.

I don't see much wrong with our Transfer policies at all. I would much rather be in the position we're in now then the position QPR were in at the start of last season. Sure they pulled it off in the last minute of the season but if they hadn't they would have become Portsmouth. That won't happen to us.

i agree that mccormack has the ability to set the champ on fire, but i worry if he's starting his decline. he's got a lot less potential upside than a younger striker, but the same amount of risk. i will be happy as a clam if mccormack scores bags of goals, but i worry about the future sale of him to another team, and what that realistically is costing us.

Sammyffc

Quote from: eloc on July 30, 2014, 07:24:44 PM
Why are you angry?

Liverpool have paid for the potential, Fulham have paid for the experience of been there, done it, got the t shirt.

At this moment in time, I'd rather have the experience than paying that sort of money for potential, especially when we have quite a few players with huge potential
my take on it is that i highly doubt we are going to recoup the cost of buying him, outside of the money he brings in by scoring(e.g. promotion) oriogi is very young and looks to have a lot of potential. theres a much better chance of him becoming a much better player and which time liverpool can sell him off for a fee much higher than they paid and re invest in the team. Fulham probably wont be able to do that with mccormack, as he's 28 and most strikers peak between 26-29, save for the large aerial duelist. It's not my money but i would like to see the team not throw away money so readily.

i can't believe what i have just read. Mccormack in decline already. have a word

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Jags24 ...........are you still angry
or just mildly annoyed ???

EJL

Different market. The promise of massive bonuses upon promotion essentially changes the value of a player. In PL terms, McCormack isn't a £7 million striker because of his inexperience in the division. However, if you're a Championship side in need of a goal scorer, players like him are worth as much as you have to pay for them.

EJL

McCormack wasn't brought in to be later sold on for a profit.

Humbled

1 - I don't understand most tramsfer prices
2 - it didn't come out my pocket. As long as it doesn't financially crumble the club then so be it! Even better if he bags another 20+ goals.

I am loving the new squad personally. A few more additions and I will be over the moon.

eloc

Quote from: Sammyffc on July 30, 2014, 08:23:11 PM
Why are you angry?

i can't believe what i have just read. Mccormack in decline already. have a word
its not as if its not true... i dont think we will ever recoup the money spent to bring him here if we sell him off.
Quote from: EJL on July 30, 2014, 11:02:26 PM
that's the problem i have with it in general. We buy players who arent likely to grow in the future, and arent likely to raise their value enough to counter the loss incurred by their advancing age.

btings

There's also no guarantee Origi would even sign with us.

FulhamStu

Quote from: eloc on July 31, 2014, 03:02:45 AM
Quote from: Sammyffc on July 30, 2014, 08:23:11 PM
Why are you angry?

its not as if its not true... i dont think we will ever recoup the money spent to bring him here if we sell him off.
Quote from: EJL on July 30, 2014, 11:02:26 PM
that's the problem i have with it in general. We buy players who arent likely to grow in the future, and arent likely to raise their value enough to counter the loss incurred by their advancing age.
What, like Hutchinson or Burn or Eisfeld or Tunnicliffe or Woodrow or Williams or Taggard - I could go on.   Blimey, there are some fans with one eyed glass half empty minds around.  Most people are saying we lack experience.  So we buy the leagues top goalscorer and captain of Leeds with perfect Championship experience and people say we paid too much.  Can I suggest you worry about something a bit more worrying, like will it rain all day today or not.

Roberty

Quote from: btings on July 31, 2014, 03:06:14 AM
There's also no guarantee Origi would even sign with us.

Since he's been loaned back to Lille - there is no guarantee that he will ever play for Liverpool

He's been brought to add to their inventory not to play for them
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

epsomraver

Quote from: Putney on July 29, 2014, 09:21:23 PM
Quote from: you lucky people on July 29, 2014, 09:19:35 PM
why are we as fans worried at what the Club negotiate as fees for players? It's not our money after all, they give us a team to support and we do our bit. Personally I couldn't give a toss how much any of them cost, just that they play well and are a credit to the Club

I'm sure the fans of Portsmouth, Blackpool, Leeds and all the other clubs who have been up against the wall wholeheartedly agree with you. Christ.
0001.jpeg

Wimbledon_White

An interesting read and some excellent points made by everyone.

All just a touch pointless though isn't it? The author's views clearly wont be swayed - fair play to him.

SKSW6

Stunning that people still say things like "it's not our money, who cares what we pay". It's almost like FFP never existed, and that QPR don't face a £50m fine and wouldn't have had points deducted had they not been promoted (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/10855407/QPR-chairman-Tony-Fernandes-vows-to-fight-potential-50m-FFP-fine-after-learning-from-past-mistakes.html).

Lighthouse

Quote from: SKSW6 on August 01, 2014, 10:42:50 AM
Stunning that people still say things like "it's not our money, who cares what we pay". It's almost like FFP never existed, and that QPR don't face a £50m fine and wouldn't have had points deducted had they not been promoted (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/10855407/QPR-chairman-Tony-Fernandes-vows-to-fight-potential-50m-FFP-fine-after-learning-from-past-mistakes.html).

Yes that is all well and good. But it is the sustainability and the lack of investment that now sees a once established for thirteen seasons team, relegated. Now having to rebuild a new squad. So there has to be half way point where we don't want to go mad with over payments. But not be too hung up on them. Well run and not worrying about fines has brought is to the Championship.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope