watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Will we be under-cooked !

Started by FulhamStu, July 31, 2014, 03:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

All friendlies are pointless. It makes absolutely no difference who you play. All the team shape and tactics is done in training. In the games we have played, you could see the diamond was working, and the team shape was much better.

The biggest bonus this year is I don't expect the final 15 minute capitulation we had in every game last year.

jmh

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 31, 2014, 07:40:31 PM
Ok Where do I start. Sticking pins in names is like drawing numbers out of a hat. It's a lottery, so my remark equates to the fact that it appears that Felix was selecting the team at random without any thought or structure or experience of English Football, he has had no experience of managing in England or the teams or players he was playing against, hence the reason why his team selections and some substitutions were bizarre to say the least. Felix Magath is a gamble for Fulham, and if it goes pear shaped it could result in dire consequences for the club. Felix Magath now has a clean slate. Personally I would not have placed Fulham FC in his hands, however I more than anyone else hopes he proves me wrong.
Gotcha.  I understand why choosing players at random would be a bad thing (I thought maybe "sticking pins" was like the expression "throwing darts" that I'm more familiar with), but I don't see why this is offensive to "English football culture" in particular as opposed to simply being bad management.  Are you suggesting that Felix is actually picking his starting eleven more or less at random, and that this is what he's done to great success in Germany and that random team selection is common and non-offensive there?

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

What I saw last Saturday, were a group of highly motivated, organized' skillful, fit, hard working, energetic team players who even in 100 degrees and a very small crowd (initially) were not treating the game as a meaningless friendly even if it was basically against DC United Reserves.
That team was not picked at random, each of the players were in a position they were comfotable with, there was a system and a plan and everyone worked for and with each other.
What I also saw was a group of players 'almost' ready to play in the Championship.
IMHO  I would switch McCormack for Hugo.  Maybe Woodrow for Hyndman and maybe Parker for
Hoogland !!! (although Hoogland played very well)
Burgess and Hitchinson were superb together and had a good understanding with Joronen.

Twinkletoes came on for a brief cameo and had a couple of good little runs.

That team with a bit of tinkering I think would easily hold its own in the CS and therefore feel we are almost well equipped already and with a few in the wings (Roberts, LVC, Hugo, Taggart,  Amour, Burn etc etc) have ample cover.
Make no mistake (from what I saw)  these academy 'kids' are good, why bring in any more youngsters when they're under our noses already amd Felix knows them and more to the point has kept them ?
And yes, David and Moussa2 will be the real deal.

Therefore I'm surprised that some people think we are so far away from a promotion challenging team.

My biggest concern, strangely, was Kostas, he got forward a lot and a couple of times failed to get back.
Nearly all of the danger came from crosses from their right wing which were dealt with excellently by the CB's and Joronen. Voser picked up a few pieces and  Hoogland, Eisfeld et all covered and got in some excellent 'crunching' blocks.  I also hate to say, but most of his crosses were awful.

That's my personal opinion
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

FulhamStu

Quote from: Roberty on July 31, 2014, 06:36:27 PM
As I understand it the players are professionals so should know how to play football.
After the summer break they need to have their fitness level improved and become "match fit".
As professionals they should have an understanding of tactics and formations so will only need to know the system we are going to play for any given game.

So why do you think we need an endless number of meaningless friendlies before the season starts.
After last season friendlies in Costa Rica you could be forgive for thinking we were Champions League material
But that was a false dawn because basically friendlies are meaningless.
Well I know having played senior pro football that it often takes time to build up understanding with other players. .  Sometimes it does click straight away, and sometimes it takes quite a few games playing together.  I don't think we should have played 100% full blooded games as this is not necessary, however to get the shape of the team and to build understanding with other players its good to get a few games under you belt... therefore they are not meaningless.   But again, I am not saying we should have done this or that - I am simply asking the question.  I am sure Felix knows better than me, well I hope he does...

hovewhite

I'm gonna enjoy the rollercoaster.over the years pre season games mean jack all,but I tell you what the attitude wil be a thousand times better than the last 2 seasons the players will be super fit we will have a young hungry squad with some talent driven by felix,yeh he maybe a madman but I'm glad he's here!

HatterDon

Quote from: FulhamStu on July 31, 2014, 03:52:59 PM
We have had 4 friendlies, one of which (Jags) we largely used our youth players looking to break into the 1st team squad.  Yesterdays game was called off, so we only have one game left this coming weekend before the season starts.   I suspect we have not played close to our starting 11 yet, certainly most fans really do not know who our starting 11 will be, not even close.

Friendlies are used to help fitness, which I think todate has been the main use, but also to build understanding, partnerships, team formation and sharpness.  I am not saying its wrong, but it seems strange that we have had so few games, especially as Felix has built a whole new team.  I think the games have shown (dispite the opposition being weak), how we will play - diamond, fast counter attacking and also shown some of the kids are ready to step up, however I am not sure we have been building towards our strongest 11.

Its a long season and maybe Felix thinks we can build these things in competitive games, its certainly a different approach to what I have seen before.  I am looking forward with some hope that the team we will see this season will be great to support and  one we will all be proud of.  I do think however it is going to be an inconsistant start results wise, and we will need 10 games to establish the teamwork and understanding required.

Not long to go to see and boy its going to be interesting.

Are you the artist formerly known as Gary Barnett's Fan Club?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FulhamStu

Quote from: HatterDon on July 31, 2014, 09:26:24 PM
We have had 4 friendlies, one of which (Jags) we largely used our youth players looking to break into the 1st team squad.  Yesterdays game was called off, so we only have one game left this coming weekend before the season starts.   I suspect we have not played close to our starting 11 yet, certainly most fans really do not know who our starting 11 will be, not even close.

Friendlies are used to help fitness, which I think todate has been the main use, but also to build understanding, partnerships, team formation and sharpness.  I am not saying its wrong, but it seems strange that we have had so few games, especially as Felix has built a whole new team.  I think the games have shown (dispite the opposition being weak), how we will play - diamond, fast counter attacking and also shown some of the kids are ready to step up, however I am not sure we have been building towards our strongest 11.

Its a long season and maybe Felix thinks we can build these things in competitive games, its certainly a different approach to what I have seen before.  I am looking forward with some hope that the team we will see this season will be great to support and  one we will all be proud of.  I do think however it is going to be an inconsistant start results wise, and we will need 10 games to establish the teamwork and understanding required.

Nope

Arthur

Even if we had played more friendly matches against stronger opponents, we would still be a team that had yet to test itself in a situation that replicates what we will face at Portman Road.

If, in asking 'Will we be under-cooked?', the OP is wondering whether or not we will be at our best against Ipswich, the answer is almost certainly 'No'.

This, however, does not mean that we can't play well enough to deserve to win our opening game. And even if, on the day, we fall short, it won't spell the end of our hopes for the season.

Magath, like the rest of us, will have to see who adapts to the challenge most readily. He will have an idea, of course, from what he has seen pre-season, but to find the exact personnel that make up our best XI is surely going to be a case of 'work in progress' to begin with.

To expect otherwise is, in my opinion, to misunderstand the task of the rebuild that we face if we are to return to the PL at the first attempt.

HatterDon

Quote from: FulhamStu on July 31, 2014, 10:23:11 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on July 31, 2014, 09:26:24 PM

Nope

Drat. I lost track of him the last time FUSA.com crashed. It had his contact information. Sigh.

Thanks for responding.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Snibbo

I was about to reply "How do we know Ipswich might not be undercooked for the first match", and decided to look up their pre-season matches. Bit disturbing.

Only conceded one goal. Haven't had to travel far - all local-ish except the first one in Ireland and all against teams that would give you a run for your money. Eleven goals for, one against. Now I'm worried.

12 July 2014   Shelbourne Republic of Ireland   0–4   Ipswich Town   Tolka Park   
16 July 2014   Ipswich Town   0–0   West Ham United   Portman Road   
23 July 2014   Colchester United   0–3   Ipswich Town   Colchester Community Stadium   
26 July 2014   Gillingham   0–2   Ipswich Town   Priestfield Stadium   
29 July 2014   Southend United   1-2   Ipswich Town   Roots Hall   
2 August 2014   Leyton Orient   v   Ipswich Town   Matchroom Stadium   

FulhamStu

Quote from: Arthur on July 31, 2014, 11:14:53 PM
Even if we had played more friendly matches against stronger opponents, we would still be a team that had yet to test itself in a situation that replicates what we will face at Portman Road.

If, in asking 'Will we be under-cooked?', the OP is wondering whether or not we will be at our best against Ipswich, the answer is almost certainly 'No'.

This, however, does not mean that we can't play well enough to deserve to win our opening game. And even if, on the day, we fall short, it won't spell the end of our hopes for the season.

Magath, like the rest of us, will have to see who adapts to the challenge most readily. He will have an idea, of course, from what he has seen pre-season, but to find the exact personnel that make up our best XI is surely going to be a case of 'work in progress' to begin with.

To expect otherwise is, in my opinion, to misunderstand the task of the rebuild that we face if we are to return to the PL at the first attempt.
Totally agree with all this.  I think a return to the EPL first time is not likely - possible, but I am not going to get too hopeful.  I would say next season we will piss it.

Frank

Felix likes to surprise the other side. None of us has a clue who are the first 11. Also the manager of Ipswitch does not know it.

Apprentice to the Maestro

We will be under-cooked. It is not a matter of not being at our best - no club is in the first match or even the first half-dozen.

In a `normal' season a club will have a fairly settled side in a known formation and make 2 or 3 additions to the first choice side.

We are going into the new season in a new formation with only 2 or 3 players who have played more than a handful of games for us likely to be in the side and with only one game to play our starting eleven.

Out with the old - they had to go or it was inevitable they would leave. I would have kept two or three because they would have done a decent job and for sentimental reasons but none of the departures have been critical (I presume there is a plan behind letting Stockdale go).

In with the new - I am more than happy to give the players coming through the youth ranks their chance and like the sound of the new young players like Eisfeld.

What's missing? My guess is that the most critical position in the new diamond formation is that at the rear of the diamond in front of the back four and I am not confident that Parker can, in the medium term, do the job and if he can't play there there seems no role for him.