more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Talk Sport - Murph doubts we'll perform in the Championship

Started by Bedford White, August 07, 2014, 12:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcliff

Danny Murphy has his views  and some of the points he makes  may be right
but I find people are either totally writing us off  or expecting us to win the league by a mile
being realistic finishing in the top  half of the table is probably what I expect
what I do hope to see is a team with more fight more flair and a greater desire to win
lets hope this is the season when we build  a team that we are proud of week in week out , win or lose

Rupert

I recall the team of 1982 was pretty young and inexperienced, we had the likes of Dean Coney, Ray Houghton and Paul Parker emerging as raw, unknown talent, with a few veterans to give them the benefit of their wisdom. They didn't do too badly in the end, at least until Clay started his asset-stripping.
Different times, I know, and we do not have Ivor playing any more, but who knows, we may have a decent enough squad to compete at this level. Until Saturday it is all just personal opinions, so relax and enjoy it, the grey hairs start sprouting after the game starts.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

mangoputney

Quote from: colcliff on August 07, 2014, 03:07:26 PM

Danny Murphy has his views  and some of the points he makes  may be right
but I find people are either totally writing us off  or expecting us to win the league by a mile
being realistic finishing in the top  half of the table is probably what I expect
what I do hope to see is a team with more fight more flair and a greater desire to win
lets hope this is the season when we build  a team that we are proud of week in week out , win or lose

+1

I'll be utterly amazed if we storm the league
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

nose

murf is giving the safe view. He is a pundit and to say anything else wuld be foolish.

What is for sure is we are a brand new team, we have a top class manager with a really excellent record of success who I suspect is hurting from the events of last season. The team seems to be enthused (save for Parker's intervie on club TV which i thought was a little lack lustre). What i have seen of pre season friendlies looks pronmising. I love the younger players and woodrow is such a great prospect, David looks good too!

But I think after five or six games we will get the hang of whether we are on the right lines, too soon to tell really.... but I have no argument if with the Murf if he sounds cautious.

mccscratch

I actually think the newness of the squad and the influx of foreign players in several positions might turn out to be a big advantage for us... I think we are really going to be an unknown to most teams early on...

Mitroglu, Stafy, Ruiz, Bodurov, Hoogland, Voser, David.... none of the teams in the Championship are going to have a clue what these players are all about once the whistle blows.... They will however key on Ross....just means others will have more time on the ball...

We might jump right out of the gate fast and hard and top the table after September....
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Baszab

Funny how a lot of the senior players seem to have/had the same view of Magath and our prospects with the current squad/FM's barmy tactics and training - Duff, Hangeland, Bent, Murphy, Riether, Riise and more

Yes I know that these players were past it and got us into this mess but they are still very experienced seasoned pros.

mccscratch

Quote from: Baszab on August 07, 2014, 05:24:31 PM
Funny how a lot of the senior players seem to have/had the same view of Magath and our prospects with the current squad/FM's barmy tactics and training - Duff, Hangeland, Bent, Murphy, Riether, Riise and more

Yes I know that these players were past it and got us into this mess but they are still very experienced seasoned pros.

Who don't enjoy running anymore...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

valdeingruo

You cant expect him to say we're going to win the league (even if he privately thinks that)because of the amount of the stick he would get if we didnt. We all know every club has a section of supporters that get after even the most trivial of things. It was a wise move and he is right. This however, is a perfect time to see whether or not our youngsters are up for it.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

MJG

Where did Duff say something?

glenhodgso

Quote from: Bedford White on August 07, 2014, 12:43:46 PM
I just caught Danny Murphy previewing our chances in the Championship this season on the talkSPORT Colin Murry show.
Murph suggested that we've lost far too many experienced players, have too many youngsters and the majority of our transfers have been from abroad, so in effect we're too green for the Championship.

He may be right, but from my unbiased point of view it's those senior players that we've lost who are to blame for our relegation. Now we have a clean sheet, the negativity and losing mentality which ran through the team last year has been removed, and we've got a new young and hungry squad. We'll be fitter and faster team than we've been for years and if Felix can nurture these players and use his wealth of experience he, and we, will enjoy great success.

So is Murph right or are we in a better position (squad wise) now than we've been in these last three years?

Without attempting to be a smartarse, I would say that if you take the statement

"Murph suggested that we've lost far too many experienced players, have too many youngsters and the majority of our transfers have been from abroad, so in effect we're too green for the Championship. "

and changed a couple of the words, you could say that the same applied to the team that played in the Europa League, with very few players of international experience - and we remembered what happened then we played as a team, with belief - it was like the famous Muhammad Ali quote :

"Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."

leonffc

Quote from: MJG on August 07, 2014, 06:01:59 PM

Where did Duff say something?

Exactly what i'm wondering. Duff was supposed to be the fittest player at the club last season so I doubt he was worried about a bit of extra running.
Didnt he go out to Afghan last summer to visit HM forces and train with his soldier brother?

ToodlesMcToot

No disrespect to Murph intended, but this is all low hanging fruit he's picking. Anyone who has paid much attention to team sport would come up with his conclusion looking at what we've come thru over the last couple of seasons. It's the safest opinion to have.

Felix, the staff, and the players would likely express an opposing opinion that is far more positive and state their valid reasons.

The reality is that it's going to be wait and see for the whole season. We won't know enough about the team until there is real pressure on it either from having success and questions around being able to sustain it, or from failure and questions around their ability to keep their heads on straight and push thru bad form.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

ron

The old expression "Don't mix with losers, because their despair is contagious"  is a good counter to the idea that losing our senior pro's is a disadvantage. The alternative is admittedly hit and miss, but should it come together, who knows what can be achieved?...I remember Ipswich storming 3 consecutive champions' cups in my youth, and to a lesser extent, a well funded Blackburn taking some very established top class clubs by surprise.....

A very interesting first few games are in prospect as we see what Felix has put together in practice and not just in theory. P45 time may come round in time for a Christmas present if the worst happens. I'm sure we'll all be delighted to see the opposite.

hovewhite

I don't care what he or anyone alse thinks,its a frsh start .say what you think and look a mug end of season.