watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (09/08/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 08, 2014, 06:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

MATCH PREVIEW: It's an unfair league, but that would make success all the more sweeter – Mick McCarthy

Ipswich Town start their 13th successive season in the Championship with the televised visit of newly-relegated Fulham at Portman Road this teatime (5.15pm). STUART WATSON previews the match.

OVERVIEW

Ipswich Town start their 13th successive season in the Championship with the televised visit of newly-relegated Fulham at Portman Road this teatime (5.15pm).

Following 22 months of slow and steady progress under manager Mick McCarthy, the low-budget Blues will be hoping that the unsexy qualities of organisation, hard-work, spirit, togetherness, familiarity and stability can see them upset the odds and gatecrash the play-off places following last season's ninth-place finish.

Fulham start the season as a bit of a unknown quantity. Their 13-year stay in the Premier League came to a dramatic end last season, the south London side finishing 19th after twice changing manager during a turbulent campaign.

Felix Magath has overseen a complete overhaul of his squad over the summer. There has been a mass exodus of key players, with the eight new arrivals recruited from seven different leagues and consisting of seven different nationalities.

Several of those who departed Craven Cottage have criticised Magath's management style, but the German responded in an explosive press conference yesterday during which he hit back at outspoken ex-players Brede Hangeland and Matthew Briggs, while also confirming that the likes of Maarten Stekelenburg, Bryan Ruiz and Kostas Mitroglou are also set for the exit door.

QUOTES

By rights, Ipswich Town should have no chance against Fulham today. It's simply not a fair fight.

For the second successive summer, the Blues – heading into their 13th successive campaign at Championship level – have been restricted to free transfer additions.

The Cottagers, by contrast, drop into the division with £26million to burn following last season's bumper Premier League parachute payments and TV deal. Very quickly, £11m of that was splashed out on striker Ross McCormack – the man who top-scored in the second tier with 28 goals for Leeds last season.

"I think they should change that name 'Financial Fair Play'," said Blues boss Mick McCarthy. "Eleven million pounds spent on one player...

"The parachute payments teams get for coming down from the Premier League doesn't create a fair playing field at all.

"It makes it more of a challenge and certainly more rewarding when you get results.

"That's where we are at. Is it possible (to get promoted)? Well look at Burnley. I don't know exactly what their finances were last season, but nobody would have sat here 12 months ago and tipped them to get promoted.

"Somebody will upset the odds, whether that be us or somebody else. Why can't it be us?"

Asked if he thinks Fulham will be challenging for automatic promotion, he replied: "You'd think so. They've got shut of a lot of 
players though.

"We've been watching their games and it's only (Hugo) Rodallega and Scott Parker who are still there really.

"They've taken some players from some top German clubs, they look very capable, but I don't take much notice of pre-season friendlies.

"They've been a Premier League club for a long time, they've got plenty of money and should certainly be in the mix.

"It doesn't always work like that though does it? Reading and Wigan both dropped away towards the end last season. The teams that come down don't always go straight back up."

TEAM NEWS

IPSWICH TOWN

– Stephen Hunt (calf), Cameron Stewart (jaw), Jonathan Parr (groin) and Paul Anderson (hamstring) have all been ruled out, while Tommy Smith (groin) has been passed fit.

– Young right-back Elliott Hewitt could well play on the right-wing, as he did in the final pre-season friendly at Leyton Orient last weekend, due to the shortage of wing options. McCarthy said: "Elliott's come back to pre-season training much-improved having played some football (on loan) for Gillingham. He looks more mature, a better player and stronger."

– Talismanic striker David McGoldrick – who scored 16 goals last season before a knee injury ended his campaign in mid-February – is set to be on the bench after two cameo appearances in friendlies. McCarthy must decide who to play alongside Daryl Murphy up front – Frank Nouble, Jack Marriott or new signing Balint Bajner.

FULHAM

– Matthew Briggs, Brede Hangeland, John Heitinga, Steve Sidwell, Sascha Riether, Pajtim Kasami and Kieran Richardson were among several key summer departures. Magath has also confirmed that Maarten Stekelenburg, Bryan Ruiz and Kostas Mitroglou are set to follow them out the exit door.

– In addition to £11m man Ross McCormack, the Cottagers have signed Thomas Eisfeld (Arsenal), Shaun Hutchinson (Motherwell), Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets), Tim Hoogland (Schalke), Kay Voser (Basle) and Kostas Stafylidis (Bayern Leverkusen).

– Magath has been playing a 4-3-1-2 system in pre-season, with as many as six new signings set to start today.

LIKELY LINE-UPS

IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2)

1 Dean Gerken

4 Luke Chambers

6 Christophe Berra

5 Tommy Smith

3 Tyrone Mings

21 Elliott Hewitt

8 Cole Skuse

19 Luke Hyam

18 Jay Tabb

9 Daryl Murphy

14 Balint Bajner

FULHAM (4-3-1-2)

40 Marcus Bettinelli

15 Kay Voser

5 F Amorebieta

4 Shaun Hutchinson

3 Kostas Stafylidis

8 Scott Parker

7 Thomas Eisfeld

11 Alex Kacaniklic

20 Hugo Rodallega

17 Adam Taggart

44 Ross McCormack

LAST MEETING

Ipswich Town 1 Fulham 0

Marcus Bent's 10th minute goal proved to be the winner as Ipswich Town secured their eighth win in nine matches back in 2002.

A 2-1 win at Everton three days later lifted the Blues further up the Premiership table, but a 6-0 home defeat to Liverpool proved to be the beginning of the end.

Just one win from the final 13 matches saw George Burley's side relegated a year after a fifth-place finish in the top-flight and two years following promotion via the Play-Off Final.

HEAD-TO-HEAD

Why Ipswich fell just short in their play-off push last season was clear – a lack of midfield goals and assists.

Central duo Cole Skuse and Luke Hyam – for all their tenacity and tidiness – need to be a bit more adventurous this season, bursting on to the edge of the box from time-to-time in order to pick up the bits and pieces. Hyam, in particular, seems to have been encouraged to get forward more and will take confidence from his 
pre-season goal at Gillingham.

Former England international Scott Parker is one of the few players who didn't depart Fulham following relegation.

The 33-year-old was also one of the few players at Craven Cottage to come out of last season with any credit and will be determined to shine in what is his first time playing outside the top-flight since 2000.

PREDICTION

1-1

Ipswich played all three of the recently-relegated sides early on last season (QPR, Reading and Wigan) and, despite playing well in all three matches, ended up losing all three by narrow margins.

This Mick McCarthy side will undoubtedly be competitive virtually every time they step on the pitch, but do they have enough quality to take advantage if Fulham are suffering from a bit of a relegation hangover? I don't think either manager would be too displeased with a draw.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/match_preview_it_s_an_unfair_league_but_that_would_make_success_all_the_more_sweeter_mick_mccarthy_1_3719488

WhiteJC

Fulham boss gives update on futures of Ryan Tunnicliffe and Larnell Cole

Felix Magath has revealed that former Manchester United duo Ryan Tunnicliffe and Larnell Cole will leave Fulham on loan this season.

The pair, who joined in January, have not been issued squad numbers and have not been a part of the Whites' pre-season plans.

Magath said: "No [they're not in my plans for this season]. I think they will [go out on loan]. They are training with the Under 21s."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/fulham_boss_gives_update_on_futures_of_ryan_tunnicliffe_and_larnell_cole_1_3719786

WhiteJC

Ipswich Town vs Fulham: Tractor Boys to roll over Londoners
Mick McCarthy's team were hard to beat at Portman Road last term and may surprise here

Having splashed out £11m on Leeds United's Ross McCormack, Fulham fans will be hoping the Cottagers can get off to a flyer against Ipswich Town – but they may be left disappointed.

The Tractor Boys just missed out on a play-off spot last season and have proven something of a tough nut to crack since Mick McCarthy's arrival at the club, which goes some way to explaining why they are 6/4 for victory.

Fulham can be backed at 7/4 for an opening day win while the draw is priced at 21/10 but with over 100 markets to choose from ahead of kick-off, we've picked out three of the best on offer.

Both teams to score and Ipswich to win @ 21/5

Town lost just one of their previous 10 at home in the Championship last season and will be no pushovers against a Cottagers side that nevertheless boasts an impressive array of attacking talent.

Each of Ipswich's last five league fixtures at Portman Road featured goals for both sides while three of the Tractor Boys' last four wins in the division came in games where the two teams found the net.

Over 2.5 total goals to be scored @ Evens

There has been no shortage of goals at Portman Road either, with over 2.5 scored in five of Town's last six games at the ground. With Fulham proving leaky at the back last term, fans could be in for a real treat with the likes of McCormack and forgotten man Kostas Mitroglou gunning for goals.

An ideal bet for those looking to stick on the fence, don't be surprised to see the net bulge on more than one occasion when these two get together.

Tommy Smith score anytime @ 10/1

While the likes of Daryl Murphy and new boy Balint Bajner look like the main contenders for goals, Ipswich's excellent use of set-plays makes Tommy Smith an outside shout for an anytime goal and one certainly worth backing.

The New Zealand captain is excellent in the air and a real threat from corners. Smith scored six times for Town last term in the Championship and with such a tempting price on offer, could be the man to silence the away supporters while sending punters into raptures.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/championship/ipswich-town-fulham-tractor-boys-roll-londoners_206729.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss sets deadline for keeper to prove himself

Custodian has to make his Marc(us)

Marcus Bettinelli has three weeks to make the Fulham keeper's jersey his own.

After that, his boss will go shopping for an experienced custodian to replace wantaway Maarten Stekelenburg.

The Dutch international has been no part of the Whites pre-season preparation, and has set his agent the task of finding him a new club.

It leaves 22-year-old Bettinelli, or former Maidenhead United keeper Jesse Joronen, fighting for a place between the sticks.

The former's league experience has been limited to 39 loan appearances at Accrington Stanley, but chances are Bettinelli will step out in front of 12 times Stanley's average gate at Ipswich later today.

As he ran the rule over his players at an open training session this week, Felix Magath is hoping his choice will save him money.

"I rely on the youth," the manager said:  "Now we have young keepers and I feel good. I will give them the chance now and if it doesn't work we have three weeks where we can go to the market and sign an experienced player.

"You always have a risk but you need the philosophy, not the risk. If you are afraid, you will not be successful, only hiding and trying to avoid mistakes. That's what happened here last year."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-sets-deadline-keeper-7587059?

WhiteJC

Magath trying to change Fulham like Sir Alex Ferguson changed Manchester United

Fulham manager Felix Magath insists that he has nothing to prove ahead of the club's first season out of the Premier League in 13 years.

The Whites were relegated at the end of last season and the German was the third man to take charge throughout the season.

And he insisted that the west London outfit, including chairman Shahid Khan and chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, put their faith in him then Fulham will be successful.

"I have nothing to prove," he said. "I am fine. I know what I am able to do.

"I know I will do the best for Fulham. It is always a problem if you come into a club, it is a situation I have got used to in the past, you come to a club and the club is struggling and not doing well and the only way, if you are not getting results you have to leave.

"That is the way nowadays, but it is not right.

"Do you remember when Sir Alex Ferguson started in Manchester? He came in and he changed not only the players, but the club and the mentality. And that is the truth and that is the most important thing.

"You have not to think only of managers and players.

"If they stay with me, they will be successful. If not, I am happy..."

He added: "Yeh [the owner and chief executive should follow my way.] Otherwise why am I here? Should I learn from Fulham? I wonder?"

Magath has given his squad an overhaul and he believes that the changes were necessary for the club to move on from the previous regime.

He added: "It had nothing to do with the changes because it was totally necessary to change but I think we have not changed enough – we have not changed too much.

"We have changed a lot of players but you have contracts you have to respect so you can't do what you want.

"You have to try to find the right compromise to get into new players and protect the players that are here from before.

"We have made a lot of changes but it was necessary and the club can be glad with these changes. The club will have a great future. We have 18-20 players under 22 years old.

"You know who has such a young team in the Championship or Premier League? I don't know.

"Which manager has taken six players from their youth academy? I don't know. Southampton maybe three or four years ago but not now."

The Saints, of course, dropped into the third tier before bouncing back to the Premier League and Magath insisted that Fulham were better than that.

He added: "They are waiting too long and we are now smarter and we are now faster than Southampton."

Much has been made of the lack of Championship experience the squad have but Magath believes that it will not be an issue.

"Ross McCormack has played in the Championship," the German explained. "Dan Burn played last year and I spent my whole life in football and I wonder in the meantime. I worked at every level as a player and as a manager.

"I worked in Germany and if you follow the last World Cups you can realise Germany does not do so bad in the World Cups.

"I wonder why you are so critical and why you are thinking that somebody who was successful in Germany is not able to work here in England in the Championship."

He added: "You always have a risk but you need the philosophy, not the risk. If you are afraid, you will not be successful, only hiding and trying to avoid mistakes.

"That's what happened here last year. For me, as a player it was terrible. I want my team to be active on the field, not to hide and go back and step back to the goalkeeper and wait before conceding a goal.

"I want my team to go forward and attack, to play, to try to score. That's the way we will play in the future. It takes a bit of time."

Magath has promoted players from the club's academy but he did insist that the Whites would have a blend of youth and experience.

"I took six players from the youth academy," he added. "You can not rely on six youth players.

"I agree with him; you will never be successful if you bring with six youth players at the start of the season.

"That's not the way but they are with us and will develop and they will be part of the squad in the season."

The German is infamous for his training regime and he believes that Fulham have the fittest squad in the Championship.

"We have the fittest squad, no doubt about it," he said. "I am wondering in the German league if they are worried about all the games and how the team can manage?

"There's no question. I told my team in Germany we start in three competitions and I told them we want to win every one.

"I'm not scared about the amount of games, therefore we do a lot of work in pre-season.

"We prepared the players very well and they have improved. I am totally convinced that we are able to play, not just in the Championship, but to the FA Cup final.

He added: "I am always using the environment for my training sessions. We've had a look at Wimbledon Common. Maybe they were surprised at the beginning because we went to Wimbledon first and then Richmond Park.

"I enjoyed it very much – they were running and I was on the bike behind!

"We have had two training camps – one in Scotland and one in Austria. We were beside St Andrews golf course in Scotland."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/magath_trying_to_change_fulham_like_sir_alex_ferguson_changed_manchester_united_1_3719784

WhiteJC

5 REASONS WHY IPSWICH TOWN V FULHAM COULD END IN A SCORE DRAW – CHAMPIONSHIP PREVIEW

1.) MIXED FORM FOR TRACTOR BOYS
Mick McCarthy's men (38%) were somewhat inconsistent towards the back end of last season, winning three, drawing two and losing three of their final eight matches as they just missed out on a spot in the playoffs.

2.) AN IMPROVING PICTURE FOR FULHAM?
Although Fulham (36%) endured a miserable Premier League campaign that ultimately ended with relegation, their form in the closing weeks of 2013/14 was not actually that bad, with two wins, two draws and two losses.

3.) A STATEMENT OF INTENT
It is certainly worth noting that the Cottagers have both scored and conceded in six of their most recent seven away games. The £11m acquisition of Ross McCormack should provide them with even more firepower as they seek a return to the top-flight.

4.) CLEAN SHEETS NOT EXPECTED
Both teams tend to score (54%) when Ipswich take to the pitch in front of their own supporters. This has happened six times in a row, as well as in 13 of their previous 17 Championship fixtures at Portman Road.

5.) 1-1 ON THE CARDS?
Ipswich have conceded exactly one goal in 11 of their last 20 second-tier home encounters. Four of these matches finished in a 1-1 draw (12%) and something similar looks possible in what promises to be another hard-fought battle.

Highest Percentage & Kickoff Recommended Bet: Both teams to score – Yes (54%) @1.77 with BetVictor

All odds are correct at the time of writing, though they remain subject to change.

Kickoff predictions for this fixture, along with the best available odds, can be found in the betting panel down the right of the page. Click on the odds to place a bet and click on the arrows to see the stats.

Ipswich (48%) and Fulham (46%) have a similar chance of opening the scoring in this fixture. Daryl Murphy, fresh from four goals at Portman Road during 2014, is our tip to score first for the Tractor Boys.

Summer-signing Ross McCormack has to be the man for Fulham @ 5.50 with BetFred.

http://www.kickoff.co.uk/22833/5-reasons-why-ipswich-town-v-fulham-could-end-in-a-draw/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss reveals tough training regime for the Championship

On yer bike, insists Magath, actually that was his...

Felix Magath insists the extra demands of the Championship will not affect his tough training regime.

The German was famed for punishing schedules in his home country, extended to one player allegedly collapsing in the woods and getting lost on a particular tough run.

It fazes Magath not one little bit, even though his Whites squad has an extra eight league games to deal with starting at Ipswich today, not to mention any extended cup runs.

In fact, from Wimbledon Common to hilly Richmond Park, and even the hallowed links of the St Andrew's golf course in Scotland, the players have been slogging the miles pre-season.

Magath explained: "I don't care about games during the week, that's normal. If you're a footballer you should like to play in the week.

"We have the fittest squad, no doubt about it. I am wondering in the German league if they are worried about all the games and how the team can manage? There's no question.

"I told my team in Germany we start in three competitions and I told them we want to win every one. I'm not scared about the amount of games, therefore we do a lot of work in pre-season.

"We prepared the players very well and they have improved. I am totally convinced that we are able to play, not just in the Championship, but to the FA Cup final.

"I am always using the environment for my training sessions. We've had a look at Wimbledon Common. Maybe they were surprised at the beginning because we went to Wimbledon first and then Richmond Park. I enjoyed it very much – they were running and I was on the bike behind!"

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-reveals-tough-training-7587703?

WhiteJC

Championship Golden Boot Contenders – Feat. Nottingham Forest's record signing

The Championship is looking as competitive as ever, with the majority of the sides in the division setting their sights, understandably, on promotion and an invitation to the Premier League party.

Although the boom-or-bust culture that has engulfed the second tier suggests that its clubs have not been well run in recent years, there remains an abundance of talent, which has resulted in a hugely entertaining division.

With the division so tight, teams that gain the upper hand on their rivals are often able to call upon the abilities of one talismanic player that can provide the difference and add a touch of class to proceedings.

As ever, it is the men that put the ball in the back of the net that attract the most attention, so Squawka have picked five potential Golden Boot winners that could fire their respective sides into the big time. If they can reject the advances of Premier League outfits in January that is.

But which of our five shoulder be considered the favourite, a household name or dark horse?

Ross McCormack
Freshly relegated sides, courtesy of the fact they can just about cling onto the vast television revenues from the Premier League, often spend significantly after they drop into the second tier. This summer has been no different with Fulham having shelled out a huge £11 million for last season's top goal scorer.

Plenty baulked at the transfer fee but the 27-year-old Scotsman found the net on 28 occasions for Leeds last term and on the edge of his peak years. If he can settle into life at Craven Cottage quickly then he can not only repeat a similar tally but also fire the west Londoners to promotion at the first time of asking.

Gary Hooper
The Norwich City forward endured a difficult debut season in the Premier League and could not prevent his side from slipping into the second tier. In truth, he failed to live up to his billing after scoring on just six occasions, but Hooper should find opportunities easier to come by now he has returned to the Football League.

The 26-year-old excelled during a spell with Scunthorpe United before he joined Celtic and is a proven goalscorer. He can thrive away from the spotlight of the Premier League and should excel alongside new strike partner Lewis Grabban. Between them they will form one of the most feared front lines in the division and whichever of the pair scores the lion's share of the Canaries goals will compete for the golden boot.

Jordan Rhodes
Constantly the subject of attention from clubs in the Premier League, the Scotland international's decision to join the Ewood Park outfit in 2012 was a questionable one given the circus surrounding the Venky family's ownership. However, he has stuck by his employers and also recently penned a contract extension to keep him with Rovers until 2019.

Rhodes has managed to ignore the off-field troubles to score 25 goals last season and has a total of 53 goals in 96 games. At the age of 24, this could be the season when he finally pushes his side towards promotion, but the pressure is undoubtedly on him to come up with the goods.

An outstanding finisher he notched up five headers and scored all but three of his goals from inside the penalty area.

Matej Vydra
The Czech Republic international has returned to Vicarage Road on loan after an unsuccessful stint with West Bromwich Albion. The youngster could not managed to secure a regular starting berth in the top tier but should find his feet again quickly in the Championship. He was an integral member of the side that narrowly missed out on promotion in the 2012/13 campaign, chipping in with 22 goals.

A strike partnership with the burly Troy Deeney will prove to be a fruitful one, with the 22-year-old's technique and craft a perfect blend with the Englishman's old fashioned style. Deeney found the on 24 occasions himself last season but Vydra is capable of edging out his team mate and claiing top spot for himself.

Britt Assombalonga
Nottingham Forest's new record signing represents the wild card in our pack. The Zaire born forward has cost Stuart Pearce £5.5 million but is a real talent considering his is still only 21 years of age.

Deemed surplus to requirements at Watford, the youngster dropped down to League One with Peterborough and proved that he was a class above with 24 goals, which saw him share the top-scorer award with Sam Baldock of Bristol City. Assombalonga is testament that playing for a smaller club will aid a player's development as he shone with the promise of regular game time.

Powerful and athletic, he is a handle for the most assured defender and is capable of stepping up to the second tier, if not the Premier League in a couple of years time. His fee may seem excessive at present, but the sum Forest have paid could represent a snip at the end of next season.

http://www.squawka.com/news/championship-golden-boot-contenders/155110?