watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

adjusted expectations

Started by JDH101, August 10, 2014, 08:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDH101

Note - what I am about to say is going to come across as a negative / rant, but it truly isn't....

Before kick off in our season opener, I truly thought that we were definitely going to be top 2, and hopefully the winners of the championship this year, for various reasons: Manager has won the german league, still have good players on our books and a great youth set up looking to break through.

However, post game I am adjusting my expectations to just mid table, maybe top 10, and I am ok with that. We played a team that is apparently better than average for this league (and they are pants apart from their striker that came on in the second half), pretty much bossed the game and only lost it to some individual errors.

OK so individual defense errors aside, the only thing from our game that was off was really the two upfront. We know RM is going to bang them in at this level and we are all excited about what Demeble will be. Plus Woodrow massively impressed me with his link up play (I started a thread earlier this week saying I wasn't sure about him so what do I know). Our forwards are going to be fine at this level and we are going to bang them in. I also think our defense and our defensive unit as a team will gel in the next few weeks and learn a thing or two about playing older, bigger men in this division. Lets not also forget that David had bossed the first half and was strolling towards MOM until his body couldn't take anymore GBH from Ipswich (seriously, appalling referring today).

Having said all of the above, and having been a fulham fan for over 30 years, I can honestly say I am more excited about this team more than any other, with the exception of Jean Tigana's Championship winning team (which is unfair to compare most teams too as that was a special team).

Seeing us play with youngsters having come through our set up is a lovely feeling. I don't mind seeing them make mistakes. They will learn from them. Its different to watching a late 30 something walk for 90 minutes under Jol the last few years.

I now don't think we are going to go up this year. But thats ok. I think we are building something special for the future. And to me, this is more exciting than playing dour long ball football like the oppo did today with a bunch of journeymen.

COYWs

Fernhurst

Well put JD

We can all look forward to watching these youngsters, hopefully for a few years.

Yesterday, was all I expected especially from that managers team. Feel quite sorry for the tractor fans having to watch that football(?) each week.

Stay behind these lads as they learn to deal with those type of tackles and we will receive our award.
Mighty talented bunch.

COYW
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Max Headroom

It was exciting to watch wasnt it. What a difference to last season. I dont think we will be top two either, but i think wevmay get to the play offs.

One Martin Thomas

Agree with both of you guys.

They are a talented bunch.  However, they are sure to get another round of GBH against Millwall.  Trouble with last night is that it was a public display on how to play and beat one if the better teams in the league (in us).

Tigana's team was special, but we also had a special manager that taught the players how to keep the ball.... pass and move.  Tigana gave the players confidence on the ball.  I'll never forget watching Rufus B one touch the ball across our penalty area to the other fullback with opposition close by.  Brilliant.

I am sure Magath will learn quickly about this league.  He may have gone too young yesterday against a bruiser of a Mick McCarthy team.  He certainly could / should have started with Rodders upfront and played two wingers.

Whatever the opinion of Magath is.... he's what we've got.  I have the feeling he'll be given a few extra quid before end of August.

blingo

It will take a few games for the players to gel properly. Playing friendlies is nowhere near the same level of ferocity or standard as playing competitive championship games. I saw the nucleus of a fantastic team yesterday. We wanted it but were not experienced enough. We had loads of possession but that final pass/cross was missing, until the last 20 minutes when we started to see what the future will turn out like for us. We lost 2-1, it could have been 3-1 it could have been 2-2 or if dembele had scored who knows if we'd have won or not. There were many many positives to our game yesterday and it was refreshing to see players who wanted to play for us and were prepared to bust a gut doing so. The team is incredibly young and has a fantastic future ahead of it with Maggie at the helm. He is the right manager to take us forwards imo. We will win the championship or at least go back up this season. Watch us fly once the boys get the bit between their teeth next saturday. 3 or 4 against millwall will give them all confidence and will set the ball rolling.

Nero

Alot will depend on our uome form. Win at home draw a few a away we'll be in the mix(punditry at its best)

b+w geezer

Your overall sentiment is admirable, but you underestimate Ipswich and by implication the rest of those we will be playing. Yes, we had the majority of skillful players on view and comfortably the most possession, but deserved to lose as, the last few minutes apart, Ipswich had created most of the threats on goal and largely stifled us in the places on the pitch where it actually matters.

I don't say that as a criticism of our youngsters, who are extremely exciting and will hopefully blossom. But ...it wasn't the ref's fault, we weren't unlucky, but weren't quite up to it on the day and it may need a mixture containing a couple more `journeymen' at the expense of young tyros in order for the latter not to get the confidence knocked out of them by too many early reverses.

An example would be to start with Rod for now in preference to Dembele, even though the latter has greater potential. And an experienced defensive midfielder instead of Burgess making a valiant fist of it for the first time -- with some needful qualities, but yet to learn how to keep his position (fatal for the first goal, where Hutchinson was left exposed; don't know how clearly that would have shown on screen). Such a player needn't cost a fortune, but we need one to arrive this month.

The principle of giving youngsters their chance is great,  but if the mixture needs to be right or we could be in for groundhog day in terms of average Championship teams beating us by the odd goal in circumstances we can't in fact (IMO) complain about.

Baszab

Well put - a little more subtle than my rantings - bottom line is this team ain't going to do it now - and FM should have known that - how can people think it will be OK against Millwall? - it's going to be just as tough next week

Peabody

Got to admit, that I was dreading coming on here after yesterday's result. I was fully expecting lots of negativety but except for a few, most are positive and realistic.

Patience is going to be the ingredient, we as fans, are going to need this season and as most of you are saying, it is going to take a while to adapt. I, for one, don't want us to start playing as Ipswich did but we must stick to our game, play Football, as we did yesterday and that, in the end,will overcome the thuggery that we will encounter in this league.

b+w geezer

Quote from: Peabody on August 10, 2014, 08:50:04 AM
the thuggery that we will encounter in this league.
There were a couple of incidents far side of the pitch that may have been worse than I realised and showed up that way on screen, but with that proviso, it's not just that `thuggery' oversstates it, but it would (if it spread inhouse as a whinge) be counter-productive. To gain a reputation for not liking it up 'em would not be helpful, as there'll be teams ready and willing to dish it out more than Ipswich did.

Burt

My expectations have always been that with so many changes in the close season and us playing against strong, settled, established teams looking to kick on from last season, then bouncing back to the premier league would not be as straight forward as many have been saying.

The positives from yesterday far outweigh the negatives. This team can only get better as the season progresses. Some of our play was more exciting than I have seen for well over a season.

COYW

MJG

I have been saying if we can be within 6 points of the playoffs at new year then that's a good point to push on and improve the squad to reach them.
All the changes.. And they were required... Make it almost impossible to get a good enough start for a top two place.
Give me 15/17 points after eleven games and I'll be fairly ok with that.

ffc73