watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Roy on BBC

Started by Lighthouse, June 17, 2010, 07:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Roy says he knoes no more than anybody and is still Fulham Manager but looks to be waiting for something to happen.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lighthouse

He is in the studio for the French game. But was asked if he was Fulham manager and how he wanted to be described and he said Fulham manager please. But made it clear he has heard nothing but worryingly didn't say there was no chance of him going to Liverpool. But he also didn't say that if offered he was certain to go. So not any clearer really.

TonyGilroy

I'm fairly encouraged.

I think Roy tells the truth and on that basis the Liverpool job hasn't been offered to him. Maybe it will and he'd be willing to talk but I suspect Liverpool are looking elsewhere. Danger for us is if they don't get their preferred choice.

Ichabod Magoo

I'm not sure why Roy would choose that venue to reveal anything new.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Fernhurst

I feel we may have to face the ugly reality sooner rather than later. :012:

Whatever our fate, listening to his quality insights and watching how he handles himself, he will go (if he goes) with my upmost respect.
After just watching the game tonight Liverpool better stop farting about, otherwise he could be offered the French job :dft011:

Will anyone feel shafted??

NogoodBoyo

I wouldn't feel any sort of shaft.  I would be very unhappy, but he would go with my blessing and my utmost respect.  At his age, he would have every right to take the highest offer and the most prestigious job he could find provided his chosen organisation would pay every penny of the buy-out clause.
Nogood "still doesn't bear thinking about really.  Coleman? Sanchez?   Gott in Himmel, nein, isit" Boyo

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

I "sort of" feel shafted if he leaves,nobody in the UK cared about him before MAF gave him the job,I know it's life but it still sucks,just like seeing an ex girlfriend you still fancy with a flasher, richer new boyfriend-you know it's going to end in tears but you understand why she left :dft004:

FatFreddysCat

I certainly got the impression, he wasn't adverse to the idea of a move, but played the question very well. Done his best to not upset Fulham fans, but to me left himself very open to a move. I hear Phil Browns available  :doh: .

Scrumpy

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on June 17, 2010, 11:13:26 PM
I "sort of" feel shafted if he leaves,nobody in the UK cared about him before MAF gave him the job,I know it's life but it still sucks,just like seeing an ex girlfriend you still fancy with a flasher, richer new boyfriend-you know it's going to end in tears but you understand why she left :dft004:

Heh Syd,

She's all yours mate. I'm bored of her already. :dft012:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Lighthouse

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has remained tight-lipped over rumours linking him with the vacant Liverpool job.

Rafael Benitez, who has since joined Inter Milan, left Anfield earlier this month and Hodgson has been widely touted as his potential successor.

"I'm Fulham manager. I'm perfectly happy at Fulham," the BBC World Cup pundit told presenter Gary Lineker in Cape Town.

"There's a lot of speculation but I can't enlighten you," he added.

After six years in charge, Benitez left Liverpool by mutual consent, with managing director Christian Purslow and former boss Kenny Dalglish given the task of finding his replacement.

606: DEBATE
Judging by his body language, he was telling the truth about no approach from the club and that all the news he gets is through "the press"

9099KOP
Dalglish managed the side from 1985 to 1991, during which time they won the league three times.

He is now an ambassador for the club's academy and has been tipped for a possible return to the managerial hot-seat by the likes of former team-mates Mark Lawrenson and Bruce Grobelaar.

The hugely-experienced Hodgson has been in charge of Fulham since December 2007 and in December 2009 he signed a new 12-month rolling contract.

The 62-year-old's achievement in guiding Fulham to the final of the Europa League saw him named manager of the year by the League Manager's Association.

Dalglish won three league titles as manager of Liverpool
Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill's name has also been mentioned, although he has recently committed his future to the club after showdown talks with owner Randy Lerner.

Former Manchester City manager Mark Hughes, who is currently without a club, has also been mentioned as has ex-Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini.

Ex-Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink's agent told BBC Sport he did not the Dutchman would be a candidate, having only recently taken over as boss of the Turkish national team, and the agent of Croatia coach Slaven Bilic told BBC Sport it was "frivolous" to think of him taking the job.

The agent of former Holland and Barcelona manager Frank Rijkaard has also moved to distance his client from the speculation.

"Rumours linking Frank to Liverpool are just that, rumours," Perry Overmeers told BBC Sport.

"Frank is the type of person who likes to fulfil his obligations and he has one year left on his contract with Galatasaray.

"There has been no contact from Liverpool."

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 18, 2010, 12:04:52 AM
"I'm Fulham manager. I'm perfectly happy at Fulham," the BBC World Cup pundit told presenter Gary Lineker in Cape Town.

"There's a lot of speculation but I can't enlighten you," he added.

Translation - can't = won't
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Ichabod Magoo

As they round the far turn into the scouser stretch, Manuel Pellegrini is making a charge on the outside.

finnster01

As I have said before, I am not too worried about Liverpool. Terrible time to join them only to get fired when they get new owners after the Yanks file for bankruptcy. I think old Sir Roy is on top of all of that.

However, what I do worry about is a big European country messing up in the WC (France already has, but Roy is not an option) but Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, and God forbid England (then he defo is a gonner) etc.

I am much more concerned about that.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LBNo11

...whatever happens, he is obviously held in reverential status by those around him in the studio, a long respected figure in the sport, but catapaulted into the limelight because of what he was allowed to do with Fulham, naturally I hope he stays, but if he goes a new chapter begins and Fulham will keep rolling on.

One part of last nights post match comment did make me laugh in a guilty way; when asked by Lineker what Roy thought of the Mexicans, Roy commented "I take my hat off to them" to which Lineker quipped "or maybe sombrero", a word Mr Hodgson repeeated as an appropriate observation.. :dft001:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

TonyGilroy

And "sombrero" was not a word that came easily to Roy.

I think we now know that Liverpool either don't want him, haven't decided who they want or are talking to other(s) higher up their wants list.

On that basis we should chill out and assume he's staying until it's clear that he's not.

Had he not wanted the subject raised he would have made that known beforehand and the BBC would have honoured that. So I think he was sending us a message.

The Equalizer

I think we have to wake up to the fact the Roy isn't going to be with us forever. If he leaves now or at the end of the season does it really matter? He has stopped the rot at the club that was inflicted by Coleman and Sanchez. He stopped us from getting relegated, lead us to our highest ever league finish, then took us to a European final. We have built a strong backbone, a solid unit of players and a support base larger than any of us could imagine.

With that, we are set for the future, whether or not Roy is part of it. If he leaves us I would like to shake his hand and show him my heartfelt gratitude for giving us all the finest moments of our entire history.

I'm not going to speculate any more on this. I would love so much for him to stay, and I honestly do think that he will. But if he goes, so be it.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Equalizer on June 18, 2010, 09:13:37 AM
I think we have to wake up to the fact the Roy isn't going to be with us forever. If he leaves now or at the end of the season does it really matter? He has stopped the rot at the club that was inflicted by Coleman and Sanchez. He stopped us from getting relegated, lead us to our highest ever league finish, then took us to a European final. We have built a strong backbone, a solid unit of players and a support base larger than any of us could imagine.

With that, we are set for the future, whether or not Roy is part of it. If he leaves us I would like to shake his hand and show him my heartfelt gratitude for giving us all the finest moments of our entire history.

I'm not going to speculate any more on this. I would love so much for him to stay, and I honestly do think that he will. But if he goes, so be it.

Love it. Viva La Fulham!