watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Community Shield - Arsenal v Man City

Started by RidgeRider, August 10, 2014, 04:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

3-0 now. Arsenal their usual early season class.

I may get slated but I saw a little bit of Arsenal in us yesterday. Move the ball around the pitch well, lots passing and possession, but can be undone by a real physical side.

FPT

The key, for me anyway, is that Arsenal have essentially perfected the 4231 with players who are effective in their roles; our system is still in its infancy so we're not getting the details spot on yet, which is normal.

The first 30 minutes against Ipswich is the best football we've played for 18 months, probably comfortably. If we can get the final ball right and the potency right then we can talk about promotion.

Another point on Arsenal, Aaron Ramsey becoming the late runner and supporter into the box is the game changer, it then isn't just tapping it around the opponents box, there's a vertical probe rather than just horizontal and that's what led to a lot of Ramsey's goals, him running forward into the box from deep, exactly the type of trait that we lacked yesterday.

K33NY

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 10, 2014, 04:21:47 PM

I may get slated but I saw a little bit of Arsenal in us yesterday. Move the ball around the pitch well, lots passing and possession, but can be undone by a real physical side.

When you say physical side, do you mean Ipswich played a rough match yesterday? I wonder what Millwall and Leeds will be like then?

RidgeRider

Quote from: K33NY on August 10, 2014, 04:34:17 PM

When you say physical side, do you mean Ipswich played a rough match yesterday? I wonder what Millwall and Leeds will be like then?

Absolutely...that's what I saw. Typical Mick McCarthy side. He has his players hard tackling, shirt tugging and muscling around the pitch. This type of play can make some skillful players and inexperienced players think twice about what to do, which is just enough to get them off their game and make them less effective. I felt the kids actually help up well all considering but McCarthy teaches his own brand of "thug" ball.

K33NY

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 10, 2014, 04:52:43 PM

Absolutely...that's what I saw. Typical Mick McCarthy side. He has his players hard tackling, shirt tugging and muscling around the pitch. This type of play can make some skillful players and inexperienced players think twice about what to do, which is just enough to get them off their game and make them less effective. I felt the kids actually help up well all considering but McCarthy teaches his own brand of "thug" ball.

I didnt think it was that rough tbh, but I could be wrong though, gone watch the match over again either tonight or tomorrow.

RidgeRider

Quote from: FPT on August 10, 2014, 04:30:30 PM
The key, for me anyway, is that Arsenal have essentially perfected the 4231 with players who are effective in their roles; our system is still in its infancy so we're not getting the details spot on yet, which is normal.

The first 30 minutes against Ipswich is the best football we've played for 18 months, probably comfortably. If we can get the final ball right and the potency right then we can talk about promotion.

Another point on Arsenal, Aaron Ramsey becoming the late runner and supporter into the box is the game changer, it then isn't just tapping it around the opponents box, there's a vertical probe rather than just horizontal and that's what led to a lot of Ramsey's goals, him running forward into the box from deep, exactly the type of trait that we lacked yesterday.

Agreed. I thought we managed the ball really well in our own half, but just couldn't get the final penetrating pass right...we tried but we lack a bit of polish in that area. Probably had more to do with what you mention in getting the details spot on, and I think that will come with a few more matches and weeks of training.

RidgeRider

Quote from: K33NY on August 10, 2014, 04:55:04 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on August 10, 2014, 04:52:43 PM

I didnt think it was that rough tbh, but I could be wrong though, gone watch the match over again either tonight or tomorrow.

Ipswich doesn't seem as physical as his Wolves teams were, but when you watch the match again, pay particular attention to some of the more cynical "encounters" our players had with theirs......some of them were never called as fouls...and should have been.

Nero

that was probably joe harts best game for a while