watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The curse of the 10 million pound plus player

Started by The Swan, August 10, 2014, 07:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

Magath said Mac is not quite fit and it was said that he had not been in fiull training with leeds.

I thought he looked like he would be a good acquisition as soon as he settles and builds the match fitness.

I used to get told off for jumping to snap descisions but surely this critism of the boy is very premature, he has a great track record and our team hardly supplied a non stop stream of quality balls up to the front men on saturday.

I think he will come good, he is not like the other well discussed overpriced players.

fulhamben

Quote from: nose on August 11, 2014, 04:46:47 PM
Magath said Mac is not quite fit and it was said that he had not been in fiull training with leeds.

I thought he looked like he would be a good acquisition as soon as he settles and builds the match fitness.

I used to get told off for jumping to snap descisions but surely this critism of the boy is very premature, he has a great track record and our team hardly supplied a non stop stream of quality balls up to the front men on saturday.

I think he will come good, he is not like the other well discussed overpriced players.
great track record? He scored 8 goals the season before last. Don't get me wrong scoring g 29 last season means he is no chump. But guaranteed goals he is not. He will have to work for them, and a lot harder than he did on saturday
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

FPT

Quote from: fulhamben on August 11, 2014, 04:53:38 PM

great track record? He scored 8 goals the season before last. Don't get me wrong scoring g 29 last season means he is no chump. But guaranteed goals he is not. He will have to work for them, and a lot harder than he did on saturday

To be fair, the season before last he played off of the wing... And grabbed 12 assists, only bettered by Robbie Brady and Tom Ince in that season.

fulhamben

Quote from: FPT on August 11, 2014, 05:02:35 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 11, 2014, 04:53:38 PM

To be fair, the season before last he played off of the wing... And grabbed 12 assists, only bettered by Robbie Brady and Tom Ince in that season.
not trying to diminish him, just saying nothing is a given. And I read somewhere that he created and scored the most goals last season. At the same time though, he will have to step it  up from SATs game

jags24

My criticism is not of McCormack himself, but how he has been handled.  If he was not fit then he shouldn't have played 90 minutes, and if he reinjured himself, that's even worse.  If he did indeed come into pre-season unfit, then he deserves criticism for that, yes.  But the larger problem is management.

shnlwswlkr

Quote from: jags24 on August 11, 2014, 05:36:50 PM
My criticism is not of McCormack himself, but how he has been handled.  If he was not fit then he shouldn't have played 90 minutes, and if he reinjured himself, that's even worse.  If he did indeed come into pre-season unfit, then he deserves criticism for that, yes.  But the larger problem is management.

...He didn't play 90 mins. Do you know anything?
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

fulhamben

My criticism is not of McCormack himself, but how he has been handled.  If he was not fit then he shouldn't have played 90 minutes, and if he reinjured himself, that's even worse.  If he did indeed come into pre-season unfit, then he deserves criticism for that, yes.  But the larger problem is management.
that's another thing I don't get. No matter the player or team, if things don't go well from the off then pre season gets the blame. Does anyone really believe that these professional athletes drink beer and eat kebabs as soon as the season ends. I don't for one minute

jags24

Quote from: shnlwswlkr on August 11, 2014, 05:39:40 PM
My criticism is not of McCormack himself, but how he has been handled.  If he was not fit then he shouldn't have played 90 minutes, and if he reinjured himself, that's even worse.  If he did indeed come into pre-season unfit, then he deserves criticism for that, yes.  But the larger problem is management.

...He didn't play 90 mins. Do you know anything?

I don't know anything, but maybe he didn't because he was injured, mate?

jags24

Quote from: fulhamben on August 11, 2014, 05:44:38 PM
that's another thing I don't get. No matter the player or team, if things don't go well from the off then pre season gets the blame. Does anyone really believe that these professional athletes drink beer and eat kebabs as soon as the season ends. I don't for one minute

I think it varies depending on the player.  In an ideal world, no one would drink beer or eat kebabs... or maybe everyone would.

FFCSteve

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 10, 2014, 09:16:08 PM
Although not fit he showed enough yesterday that he is going to be very good. Movement and control is first class and with a better partner could have done more.

Agreed! Dembelle had a mare! Hopefully when back to full fitness he will be very good for us!
I thought he looked a little frustrated at times with the poor service in the final third!
We have to remember it was a good call to buy a player fully experienced in the Championship. The highest scorer to boot!
Unfortunately it's very Fulhamish to acquire that player when not fully fit!  
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

Deanothefulhamfan

Mccormack is known for liking a drink.... But that is not why he is unfit.

The sensible thing would have been for him to play 15 minutes at the end, but what's done is done. If he is not fit for the next game he has to start as a sub, and eased in more gradually, the season is long and he needs to be handled carefully.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: jags24 on August 11, 2014, 02:36:07 PM
Yeah, but as Deano says, McCormack has already picked up a nagging injury, which he has now aggravated, and this is why management is so important... and they have just not been doing a good job, imo.  They put all their eggs in one basket with the transfer funds, and the players, most of them have all departed the club.

Maybe now we have got more funds, but there is no way to spend them... players don't want to come to Fulham, they don't want to play under Magaththat is why we have had such a mass exodus.  It really comes down to how the club is being run by ownership, very poorly, I'm afraid.

My biggest fear is that, if this batch of youngsters doesn't pan out, or isn't good enough to earn promotion, then what is the next step?  Established players don't want to sign with us anymore, as we have ruined our reputation as a good club to play for by mistreating players and casually showing people the door.
Have you evidence for this statement?

jags24

Quote from: BestOfBrede on August 11, 2014, 06:16:49 PM
Yeah, but as Deano says, McCormack has already picked up a nagging injury, which he has now aggravated, and this is why management is so important... and they have just not been doing a good job, imo.  They put all their eggs in one basket with the transfer funds, and the players, most of them have all departed the club.

Maybe now we have got more funds, but there is no way to spend them... players don't want to come to Fulham, they don't want to play under Magaththat is why we have had such a mass exodus.  It really comes down to how the club is being run by ownership, very poorly, I'm afraid.

My biggest fear is that, if this batch of youngsters doesn't pan out, or isn't good enough to earn promotion, then what is the next step?  Established players don't want to sign with us anymore, as we have ruined our reputation as a good club to play for by mistreating players and casually showing people the door.

Check your username, Homeslice.

RidgeRider

Remember, these are opinions we are opining...make sure your comments don't get personal. We are all Fulham fans...some are moaners, some are optimists. Keep the debate civil.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: jags24 on August 11, 2014, 06:20:30 PM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on August 11, 2014, 06:16:49 PM
Yeah, but as Deano says, McCormack has already picked up a nagging injury, which he has now aggravated, and this is why management is so important... and they have just not been doing a good job, imo.  They put all their eggs in one basket with the transfer funds, and the players, most of them have all departed the club.

Maybe now we have got more funds, but there is no way to spend them... players don't want to come to Fulham, they don't want to play under Magaththat is why we have had such a mass exodus.  It really comes down to how the club is being run by ownership, very poorly, I'm afraid.

My biggest fear is that, if this batch of youngsters doesn't pan out, or isn't good enough to earn promotion, then what is the next step?  Established players don't want to sign with us anymore, as we have ruined our reputation as a good club to play for by mistreating players and casually showing people the door.

Check your username, Homeslice.
If you're referring the Brede he was here and left not " didn't want to come to Fulham' ! Therefore I assume you have info of other players that we have attempted to sign, only for them to say 'I don't want to play for Fulham or Magath'
Awayslice!

alfie

Quote from: jags24 on August 11, 2014, 03:28:38 PM
Quote from: alfie on August 11, 2014, 03:04:24 PM
Yeah, but as Deano says, McCormack has already picked up a nagging injury, which he has now aggravated, and this is why management is so important... and they have just not been doing a good job, imo.  They put all their eggs in one basket with the transfer funds, and the players, most of them have all departed the club.

Maybe now we have got more funds, but there is no way to spend them... the players don't want to come to Fulham, they don't want to play under Magath - that is why we have had such a mass exodus.  It really comes down to how the club is being run by ownership, very poorly, I'm afraid.

My biggest fear is that, if this batch of youngsters doesn't pan out, or isn't good enough to earn promotion, then what is the next step?  Established players don't want to sign with us anymore, as we have ruined our reputation as a good club to play for by mistreating players and casually showing people the door.
Who are these mistreated players, and who was casually shown the door,   both Sidwell and Richardson were offered deals by clubs in the premiership, Ashkan went to the money pot, Hangeland was trying to be a bit clever by refusing to contact the club when asked. All the others that went should have gone.

That's a nice story you've created, but the criticisms by Hangeland speak volumes, and if you don't think that other players have been feeling the same way, then you'd be sorely mistaken.  How you treat players is very important - most veterans won't want to play for someone like Magath - he is unprofessional.

That's why the only players we've virtually got left are youngsters who will put up with anything for a shot at the first team.  It doesn't mean it won't work, or that Magath can't succeed - I am keeping an open mind.  I'm just saying that the downside is substantial if it doesn't work out since hardly anyone wants to play for us.

Sorry about the story, my misunderstanding i could have sworn that Sidwell and Richardson were offered deals at premiership clubs, and Ashkan went after a money deal, must be me dreaming then
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: jags24 on August 11, 2014, 04:20:56 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on August 11, 2014, 03:57:07 PM
And yet we've signed 8/9 players, some of whom already knew his training methods.

We've signed young kids, man, not established players, except for McCormack.  They might be decent signings, but you are missing the point.. those guys are desperate to prove themselves.

If you look at the team, basically every senior player is either gone or heading out the door, except Parker.  That is not normal, even for a team that has been relegated.  What is going on here is a major science experiment.

1/. You're critisizing the 'Academies'  because they want to prove themselves man ?
2/. "We've signed a bunch of youngsters" mate (including my thoughts from what I've seen)

Hoogland   29 - Great signing who I would have as captain if Parker was injured and play him in defensive midfield with the occasional sojourn upfield.

Voser        27  - Good allrounder, great pace, will provide the width from the right.

Stafylidis  20  -  Probably the best 'signing' although only 1 year loan, everyone saw what he can do in Suffolk and there's more. Get him signed on a 19 year contract.

Taggart     21   - Don't know much about him except rumours that he's a bit of a bully on the pitch, great for a stiker in this league.

Budorov     28  -  Looked accomplished on Saturday. Would be a great pairing with a confident Hutchinson or Burgess.  (приятел)

Hutchinson  23  -- Shaky start, bound to get better

Eisfeld        21    -   Looked good for 45 minutes.

Fotheringham   31   -   I know nothing, the new Mark Pembridge ?

Chihi            26   -   No nothing.  amigo

McCormack    26   -  unfit/injured but showed great potential
                            Possibly unfit because he didn't train during the summer at Leeds
                            to try to force a move - so rumour goes  :0)

With regard to getting rid of the 'old guard' apart from the following, who do you think was worth keeping.

Dejagah
Sidwell
Stockdale
Kasami ?
Richardson

Parker gets mixed reviews from supporters, but he is not a  "Bad Apple"
Which is probably one of the main reasons the others jumped or were pushed, although I agree high wages etc probably played a part in the re-structuring

This looks a good squad to me.
I long for the day when Roberts is on one wing and G.Williams is on the other, defenders won't know
whether to pirouette, give away a penatly/free kick or begrudgingly admire.

Did anyone see Roberts goal against Portugal. The 3 defenders just sort of stood there and shrubbed as he floated around them  ?

Perhaps not as daft as I seem
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Logicalman

Quote from: jags24 on August 11, 2014, 03:28:38 PM
Quote from: alfie on August 11, 2014, 03:04:24 PM

Maybe now we have got more funds, but there is no way to spend them... the players don't want to come to Fulham, they don't want to play under Magath - that is why we have had such a mass exodus.  It really comes down to how the club is being run by ownership, very poorly, I'm afraid.

Who are these mistreated players, and who was casually shown the door,   both Sidwell and Richardson were offered deals by clubs in the premiership, Ashkan went to the money pot, Hangeland was trying to be a bit clever by refusing to contact the club when asked. All the others that went should have gone.

That's a nice story you've created, but the criticisms by Hangeland speak volumes, and if you don't think that other players have been feeling the same way, then you'd be sorely mistaken.  How you treat players is very important - most veterans won't want to play for someone like Magath - he is unprofessional.

That's why the only players we've virtually got left are youngsters who will put up with anything for a shot at the first team.  It doesn't mean it won't work, or that Magath can't succeed - I am keeping an open mind.  I'm just saying that the downside is substantial if it doesn't work out since hardly anyone wants to play for us.

I don't wish to argue the toss, but you keep saying things like this as though you know them for sure. Personally speaking, I know of Helga simply due to the excessive self-promoting publicity he generated, but I haven't seen much of any of the other senior squad rounding on Felix in particular. We all know and see players have a gripe ever now and again in all the clubs, but nothing out of the ordinary have I seen at Fulham. Perhaps you can help me understand where this comes from?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

eloc

And yet we've signed 8/9 players, some of whom already knew his training methods.

We've signed young kids, man, not established players, except for McCormack.  They might be decent signings, but you are missing the point.. those guys are desperate to prove themselves.

If you look at the team, basically every senior player is either gone or heading out the door, except Parker.  That is not normal, even for a team that has been relegated.  What is going on here is a major science experiment.
I would argue its less of a science experiment than the turnover of an entire team. I agree that what is going on is not normal with the drastic drop in average age of players. However, I think that is what will be necessary for the survival of the team in the premier league. I'm on the fence about mccormack personally. there hasnt been a repeat winner of since 2008-2009. and only 2 players in the last 10 years of the EPL have won their boot twice or more in a row (henry and VP) I think theres a valid argument that once a striker wins an award like the golden boot, he has hit his peak level in performance. I dont think Ross will win the golden boot again in the EPL or championship, but I do think he's going to put up some goals. my biggest concern with him is his declining value. He's not going to get younger (although 27 is fairly young for a striker) and I dont think theres enough data to support that he will be better than he was last season. Bringing in young kids seems like a better financial move to me for the club, and I think theres enough young talent to float the club back into the EPL

BestOfBrede

Quote from: eloc on August 11, 2014, 07:32:13 PM

We've signed young kids, man, not established players, except for McCormack.  They might be decent signings, but you are missing the point.. those guys are desperate to prove themselves.

If you look at the team, basically every senior player is either gone or heading out the door, except Parker.  That is not normal, even for a team that has been relegated.  What is going on here is a major science experiment.
I would argue its less of a science experiment than the turnover of an entire team. I agree that what is going on is not normal with the drastic drop in average age of players. However, I think that is what will be necessary for the survival of the team in the premier league. I'm on the fence about mccormack personally. there hasnt been a repeat winner of since 2008-2009. and only 2 players in the last 10 years of the EPL have won their boot twice or more in a row (henry and VP) I think theres a valid argument that once a striker wins an award like the golden boot, he has hit his peak level in performance. I dont think Ross will win the golden boot again in the EPL or championship, but I do think he's going to put up some goals. my biggest concern with him is his declining value. He's not going to get younger (although 27 is fairly young for a striker) and I dont think theres enough data to support that he will be better than he was last season. Bringing in young kids seems like a better financial move to me for the club, and I think theres enough young talent to float the club back into the EPL
Don't forget his assist record!