more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (12/08/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 12, 2014, 09:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

New Fulham defender admits opening day defeat to Ipswich was a 'harsh lesson'
GERMAN defender Tim Hoogland admitted Fulham were given a harsh lesson on the reality of Championship life by Ipswich.

Hoogland was one of 11 players making their debut for the newly relegated Cottagers that were beaten by goals from Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick.

Although Hoogland hit a late consolation, which took a hefty deflection off Tommy Smith, Felix Magath's men were given a baptism of fire at Portman Road

"It was absolutely a case of welcome to the Championship and everyone who has not played in this league before now knows what to expect for the next 45 games," said the 29-year-old former Shalke full-back.

"We now know what we have to do to take the next step and win the next game.

"Everyone told us what to expect, the long balls, the one-on-one fights, and we got that."

Hoogland insisted the loss is a lesson learnt and he, and his new teammates, will soon be able to adjust.

He added: "I like to play this style of football but when we play our type of football, keeping possession, passing well, then teams will see how good we can be.

"We got caught out for both goals but if we play together then we have a great chance to win many more games.

"This was always a dream for me to play in England and it has come true. I love to go forward, it is what the manager wants.

"We had two or three more chances after we scored."

Despite the defeat Hoogland believes Fulham showed glimpses of their quality and the overall performance was good enough for tough taskmaster Magath.

"The manager was very good and said we were unlucky to lose the game," added the defender.

"He said we played well for a team that is new.

"He has a reputation for being tough but you could see in the final 10 minutes that we were the team who had the fight and the chances and we were well prepared for the games.

"That is testament to the preparation he gave us in pre-season."

Ipswich defender Tyrone Mings believes the form of McGoldrick and Murphy, coupled with the manner of the win, sends a message to the rest of the division as the Tractor Boys strive to get out of the Championship at the 12th attempt.

"That throws down a marker in the Championship. Fulham came here and found out quite quickly how hard it is," he said.

"The match was on TV and it showed teams that Ipswich are hard to beat and we can score goals, when the chances come we can tuck them away."

Blues striker McGoldrick, making a return from injury, which kept him out for the second half of last season was chosen at random to do a mandatory post match drugs test after netting the winner from a Murphy cross.

Mings said: "It was great for McGoldrick to come back in that manner. It was a great boost for him and it lifted the team as well.

"The first goal settled us down and the second goal helped and gave us a cushion.

"After they scored it gave them some momentum but it showed the character we have among the whole team how we held out and it showed the resilience the whole squad has."

Mings aims to keep hold of the left back slot after the £3.25m sale of Aaron Cresswell to West Ham and is convinced he can fill the defender's boots.

"He is only a size seven, so it was not that hard," Mings joked.

"No, me and Cressy have different attributes and I don't really compare myself to him or base my game on what he did.

"I don't look at stepping into his shoes, more me playing my own game.

"If I can get forward and put in crosses, which help the team then that is great."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/393662/New-Fulham-defender-admits-opening-day-defeat-to-Ipswich-was-a-harsh-lesson

WhiteJC

Stekelenburg's Loan

The Club can confirm that Maarten Stekelenburg has joined AS Monaco on loan until 30th June 2015.

The goalkeeper made 21 appearances in all competitions for Fulham last season and will now compete in the French Ligue 1, following previous spells in his native Netherlands and Italy.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/11/stekelenburgs-loan?

WhiteJC

Passing The Mic

After 18 years as Match Announcer, David Hamilton is hanging up his microphone to be able to enjoy Fulham's games from the stands.

An ardent Whites supporter since childhood, 'Diddy' will be passing the mic over to Ivan Berry at the Millwall match, so make sure you're at the Cottage on Saturday to say goodbye.

As part of a farewell interview, Ivan caught up with David – who will be making guest appearances on the mic later in the season – in the Fulham dugout recently to discuss his favourite moments of the last 18 years

Ticket's for Saturday's game are on sale to Season Ticket Holders, Members, and supporters with a booking history, and are priced from £30 for adults and £15 for juniors. Don't miss the opportunity to bid farewell to Diddy!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/11/passing-the-mic?

WhiteJC

Hoogland`s Theory!

Our plight, on Saturday, when we lost our first match of the Championship campaign, is perhaps illustrated by the fact that the team contained eight players making their league debuts.

One of those, Tim Hoogland, expertly summed up where it all went wrong, remarking to the media afterwards,

"It was absolutely a case of welcome to the Championship."

"Everyone knows what to expect for the next 45 games."

"We knew about the long balls and the one-on-one fights but when we play our football, keeping possession and passing well, teams will see how good we can be."

How long will it take for us to realize that, outside of the Premier League, you don`t time on the ball to pass the thing around!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=366248#ixzz3AAHBpLev

WhiteJC

American teenager Emerson Hyndman makes Fulham debut

Another American player has begun their professional career with Fulham. Remember the name: Emerson Hyndman.

You may already know his name, as Emerson's grandfather Schellas was head coach of FC Dallas for five seasons up until last year. Well, his 18-year-old Grandson is making quite the name for himself in West London.

On Saturday the American midfielder made his debut for Felix Magath's side in their season opener in the Championship, England's second-tier. The Cottagers, who were relegated from the Premier League last season, lost 2-1 to Ipswich Town and in total nine players were making their debut for Fulham.

Hyndman played in central midfield and despite his slight frame in the physical Championship, the teenager held his own for the entire 90 minutes and recorded a pass success rate of 89 per cent.

Speaking to Fulham's website the academy product had the following to say about his first taste of pro soccer.

"I didn't find out I was going to be playing until the day," Hyndman said. "It was a great moment – I was very excited, nervous, a lot of different emotions flying through but I think now that I have that experience behind me it will serve me well. It's my goal to play as many games as possible. My initial goal was to make my debut this season and that's come pretty quick so now I just want to build on that.

"It was better than I thought it would be. It is a physical league, especially against an Ipswich side which is known for it. Coming into it and seeing all the big guys, it's different but I think I coped with it well and as the game went on I just got used to it."

The U.S. youth international, who has represented the Stars and Stripes at U-17 level, has a bright future in store as his clever passing, intricate dribbles and eagerness to get on the ball shone through. To be battling it out in the Championship at the age of 18 is really something, as England's second-tier is a rough and tumble division to say the least. Magath is expected to lean heavily on Hyndman and his fellow academy products this season as youth will be given a chance to shine down by the River Thames.

After being handed the No. 28 shirt this season, Hyndman becomes the ninth American-born player to suit up for Fulham and U.S. soccer fans will be keeping on eye on his progress as Fulham aim for immediate promotion back to the Premier League. Having spoken to folks in and around Fulham, they certainly have high hopes for Hyndman. A future U.S. international in the making perhaps?

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/11/american-teenager-emerson-hyndman-makes-fulham-debut/?

WhiteJC

Manager Reaction

Felix Magath feels there were positives to take from Fulham's narrow defeat at Ipswich Town on Saturday.

The Whites left Portman Road without any points to show for their endeavours after Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick's goals meant Tim Hoogland's late effort was a mere consolation, but Magath saw signs that his side are moving in the right direction.

"You see, I'm glad, I'm not very glad, but I'm glad about our performance today," he said in his post-match press conference. "It has shown, in my opinion, that we are going the right way.

"We knew before it was a very difficult game for us, a very tough game, and we expected the Ipswich team to play as they did.

"There is always the balance in the game – we have a lot of young players and our players from the youth academy aren't used to being tackled like they were today, so they have to get used to it.

"It was a good learning session for them because the referee let things go on and so we lost some tackles and therefore, in my opinion, we lost the game.

He continued: "Not most of the time, but in many periods, especially before the first goal, we had control over the game and we were playing very well. After then we were a little bit nervous after the goal so we lost our game plan and unfortunately the second goal came too early in the second half.

"At the end, I'm glad with our performance and I think we're on the right way, and I don't worry about the future."

Magath gave nine players their Fulham debuts in Suffolk, including a number of graduates from the Academy, and the Whites boss admitted he has no qualms about throwing them in.

"You will see the young players will improve," he insisted. "I hope next week in the home game [against Millwall] we have the chance to let the young players go and you will see they will make a good game, and why shouldn't we win?

"Everybody wants young players and now I give young players the chance to play and develop and I feel fine, and the players feel fine and are glad, and so we will go on."

Asked whether he thought his current squad was capable of taking Fulham back into the Premier League, Magath was confident in his response.

"Yeah, sure," he stated. "The only thing I want is promotion to the Premier League. I didn't come here to England to stay in the Championship for several years.

"I like being a manager in the Championship, for me it's a challenge and a new situation, so I'm very glad about this situation but I don't want to play a few years in the Championship, even though Ipswich is a nice town!"

The Manager also confirmed that Maarten Stekelenburg would be joining Monaco on loan, although the Club is still awaiting the paperwork to make the move official.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/09/manager-reaction?

WhiteJC

Olympiacos plan shock move to re-sign £12m Fulham flop Kostas Mitroglou on loan
Greek star has been plagued by injury-problems since switch to England
Mitroglou has managed just three appearances for the Cottagers
Felix Magath is keen to move on the frontman as he overhauls his squad
Olympiakos ready to offer 26-year-old an escape route back home

Olympiacos are interested in re-signing Fulham striker Kostas Mitroglou on loan.

The Greek international signed for Fulham for a club record £12million in January but has only started one game and the west London club are prepared to let him leave.

Fulham would prefer to sell the striker but it is more likely that he will move back to his former club on a season-long loan.

Flop: Kostas Mitroglou has made just three appearances since his January switch to Craven Cottage

Discussions have proved complicated so far and it is understood that Olympiacos want Fulham to pay some of the 26-year-old's wages.

Mitroglou featured in all three of Greece's World Cup group games in Brazil but failed to score and was dropped for the last-32 defeat to Costa Rica.

The striker was also left out of Fulham's opening day Championship defeat to Ipswich last weekend.

Out of favour: Felix Magath has made it clear Mitroglou doesn't feature in his plans this season

Happier times: Mitroglou's form for Olympiacos earned him a move to England in January

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2722485/Olympiakos-plan-shock-sign-12m-Fulham-flop-Kostas-Mitroglou-loan.html#ixzz3AAIKHNRi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook