watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Shane Long 12 million???

Started by jarv, August 13, 2014, 02:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

Reported Southampton paid 12 million for Shane Long. And we all thought our management team were nuts! 1500.gif

Rhys Lightning 63

Shane Long moving to Southampton for £12m. I think that means we're in the clear over the McCormack fee
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

ToodlesMcToot

People have been saying the same about us and Ross McCormack and our retort has been, for the most part, "It's much less than that up front, with add ons."

Would it not make sense that this is the same with Long?

Both sums promised have the smell of a bit of panic.....but if the signees come thru for their respective teams, no one will care what was paid.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

MasterHaynes

If we would have spent our £12m on Long and Jelavic in January instead of Mitro we probably would have still have been in the premiership instead of Hull or WBA.

Patrick

Quote from: MasterHaynes on August 13, 2014, 02:10:26 PM
If we would have spent our £12m on Long and Jelavic in January instead of Mitro we probably would have still have been in the premiership instead of Hull or WBA.

+1000%

Captain Fulhamerica

Everyone knows how much coin Southampton have after selling so many players.  They won't get anyone at a reasonable price.

fulhamben

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 13, 2014, 02:40:38 PM
I would swop him with Kostas a packet
I'd swap him for Parker and Ross. Plus a few mil to them to keep them sweet
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

K33NY

Overpayed but most likely a demand cus they knew how much money they had after the selling this summer

btings

Quote from: MJs Statue on August 13, 2014, 02:21:14 PM
Everyone knows how much coin Southampton have after selling so many players.  They won't get anyone at a reasonable price.

This is it.  They've got too much cash and not enough quality players, and everyone knows it.  They've made a horrible mess of this window.

Deanothefulhamfan

I think 12 million is good business for a proven premier league scorer..... Hull's loss is certainly is Southampton's gain.

You can't compare Mccormack and Long.... big difference in class

EDIT..... not as prolific as I thought, I will go back under my rock

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

I can't believe that we have missed out on yet another £12 million forward signing

Why are other teams taking our targets?

£10 - £12 million is OUR territory - FACT!

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on August 13, 2014, 05:45:14 PM
I think 12 million is good business for a proven premier league scorer..... Hull's loss is certainly is Southampton's gain.

You can't compare Mccormack and Long.... big difference in class

EDIT..... not as prolific as I thought, I will go back under my rock
Long has averaged a goal every 4 games in over 100 premiership games for 3 different teams and created as many again, we will have to wait and see and judge  Mccormack when he is fully match fit and bedded in

FPT

It's ridiculous, but as others have said, everyone knows how much money Southampton have received; so will charge top dollar. They should really have reinvested as they were selling rather than letting go of everyone and then being like "well, who do we need?"

They've still got a very strong core to their football squad, they've just lost the quality that took them from "mid-table mediocrity" to an impressive top 8 finish with exciting and flowing football. I don't think they've done badly mind, upgraded their goalkeeper, replaced Lallana with Tadic, Shaw with Bertrand as well as adding Taider into their ranks.

Anyway, back to the original point, they are being absolutely ripped off for Shane Long. Shane Long has only scored more than 10 league goals in a season once, in the Championship (over 4 seasons). He obviously provides that Andy Johnson like work rate up top where he will chase the channels and press the centre backs, but his goal record isn't as near as good as Andy Johnson's was.

Captain Fulhamerica

Quote from: btings on August 13, 2014, 05:42:39 PM
Quote from: MJs Statue on August 13, 2014, 02:21:14 PM
Everyone knows how much coin Southampton have after selling so many players.  They won't get anyone at a reasonable price.

This is it.  They've got too much cash and not enough quality players, and everyone knows it.  They've made a horrible mess of this window.

It's the same thing that happened to Tottenham after selling Bale. Everyone knows how much you have to spend so it's impossible to get a fair price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God The Mechanic

Spurs bought before selling Bale though.

Wingnut

I'm not so sure about that but we would have come a lot closer to staying in the division.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Wingnut on August 13, 2014, 06:55:49 PM

I'm not so sure about that but we would have come a lot closer to staying in the division.
Well if Long wouldn't have scored against us they would have been dragged into the drop zone and we would have got greater impetus if we won just that game thats ignoring the goals those two scored to win and draw games that dragged them clear. I'm also certain that either would have scored some of the one on ones that Bent kept squandering