more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (15/08/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 14, 2014, 06:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

How farce became fantasy. Fulham provide the best opposition possible

Brentford fans were celebrating like..... etc etc etc last night. With the draw for the Capital One Cup having been made, the likes of Manchester United visiting MK Dons or Newcastle at Gillingham would seem the obvious 'TV' ties. However, it is the arrival of Fulham at Griffin Park that has to be the most atmospheric and anticipated of the second round.

I'm sure the good people at Sky will go for Manchester United – if only because last season's campaign of self destruct has seen them enter the competition at this stage for the first time in 19 seasons. They're welcome to it – I'll be at Griffin Park regardless.

Brentford – Fulham is THE big one. The return of the West London derby was the fixture that we all looked for as soon as the league calendar was announced. So, to have a third chance to resume our local rivalry, as soon as this month (the tie is due to take place the week commencing August 25th) is an unexpected bonus.

To be fair, we were lucky to get this far. And I don't mean so much in, finally, progressing against Dagenham and Redbridge but more in surviving the convoluted draw.

For reason's unclear, half the teams had been pre-selected and slotted into the draw already – either home / away. Presumably to keep the seeds, who were drawn next, apart.

It didn't seem entirely right and things got off to a terrible start when QPR were the first 'cube' drawn out of the black fruit bowl (what's wrong with balls and a velvet bag?). That was one of the two names for Brentford fans and it had already gone.

It got worse with the announcement, "Next up we're going to find out who Millwall will play". Please not us, I thought. Instead, as the cube was pulled, Watford v Doncaster appeared on screen.

Cue silence, confused faces and, I'd imagine, a producer screaming desperately down the line. It was a classic 'ITV tic-tac moment' that seemed to last an eternity but was quickly glossed over as everybody regained their composure and, rather than a re-draw, decided that Southampton (assuming they have a squad left) will visit the New Den.

With proceedings back under way, the other tie we all wanted came out. Social media immediately went into meltdown with everybody from Mark Devlin (who had been in prolific form yesterday), Billy Reeves and the players – not to mention the fans – going into overdrive.

A lot has changed for both Brentford and Fulham in recent years. Mr. Al Fayed has made way for new owner Shahid Khan and his luxuriant moustache, the Michael Jackson statue has disappeared as quickly as their Premiership status whilst Marcello Trotta is a Cottager once more.

One thing is still absolutely constant though. Whatever our respective leagues and whatever the competition,no quarter will be given and none asked. Expect a full strength Brentford team and a full house.

This is going to be tasty. Perhaps as much as a certain game back in April 1992.

4-0, wasn't it......

http://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2014/08/14/how-farce-became-fantasy-fulham-provide-the-best-opposition-possible/?

WhiteJC

It`s Brentford (a) in Capital One Cup!

Last night, after the remainder of the Capital One Cup 1st round ties had been completed, the draw for the 2nd round was held.

The 2nd round is the stage of the competition at which Fulham join the fray.

The draw has presented us with a tasty looking local derby.

During the week commencing 25th August, Fulham Football Club will make the short journey across West London, to Griffin Park, to take on Brentford.

In the first round, Brentford were involved in a thriller edging out Dagenham & Redbridge 4-2 on penalties after the tie ended 6-6 after extra time.

It has all the potential to be a great night, bring it on!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=366712#ixzz3AOFoBc2i

WhiteJC

Behind Enemy Lines

Before each home game we get the inside track on our opposition by speaking to a local journalist. Ahead of Saturday's clash with Millwall, Jay Taylor – Lions reporter for News Shopper – gives his take on the men from The Den.

Last season was a little bit hairy for Millwall with regards to relegation - how do you expect the team to do this season?

Following the 'great escape' and the way Ian Holloway turned the form guide on its head to record four wins and four draws in the final eight league fixtures to survive last term, I'm expecting a continuation of that. A fleeting Play-Off flirtation before an eventual mid-table finish would constitute a successful season to many, and a platform on which to build a sustainable promotion in the future.

What can you tell us about the players Millwall brought in this summer?

During the close season Ian Holloway recruited six players to bolster his side ahead of the new campaign. Carlos Edwards returned on a one-year deal after a successful loan spell at the tail end of last season. The majority of Millwall's summer business was free transfers, though, and the former Ipswich Town man was joined by defender Byron Webster, who signed from relegated Yeovil Town.

Ricardo Fuller (pictured above) was added to bolster the Lions' attacking options, along with Lee Gregory, who signed from AFC Halifax Town for an undisclosed fee, the only money the Lions have spent on a player this summer.

Midfielder Magaye Gueye signed a one-year-deal after a successful trial following his release from Everton. Millwall's sixth summer signing was confirmed prior to a pre-season win against Real Mallorca when Matthew Briggs put pen to paper on a one-year deal following his release from Fulham.

Briggs is a player we know well at Fulham – he's suspended for Saturday but how do you expect him to fare at Millwall?

Speaking to Briggs at Millwall's media day prior to the season starting, he was talking with excitement at the prospect of playing for the club. He cited the manager as a reason as to why he signed, turning down interest from Huddersfield Town, Blackpool and Blackburn Rovers.

I expect to see him compete with Scott Malone for the left-back berth. From what I've seen of Briggs, he looks to get forward as and when he can, and is comfortable on the ball. A former England Under-21 international, having a player of his calibre to push an ever-improving Malone can only bode well for the Lions.

Millwall made a perfect start at the weekend – was the win over Leeds United deserved?

Without doubt! Millwall were as good as Leeds were bad. Millwall pressed and hustled without the ball, were free-flowing in possession, worked space to stretch Leeds and pounced on them when they lost their shape. Scott McDonald was a revelation in an attacking midfield role; the majority of the Lions' endeavours went though the Australian.

Shaun Williams in midfield dictated the tempo with his spectacular range of passing. The two full-backs Scott Malone and Carlos Edwards were getting forward at every opportunity and hitting diagonal balls all game. An encouraging start to the season for the Lions, albeit against one of the worst Leeds sides seen down The Den in recent years.

How can we expect Millwall to line up on Saturday – what style of play does Holloway adopt?

I'm expecting Millwall to line up in similar fashion to how they did in the 2-0 win against: Forde; Edwards, Dunne, Beevers, Malone; Williams, Abdou; Woolford, McDonald, Martin; Fuller.

Both Malone and Edwards will push further forward, with Dunne and Beevers wider. This will allow Williams to drop back and dictate the tempo and the direction of play. Also expect the front four to hustle the back line of Fulham and make them play back to Jesse Joronen to try and force a mistake. Martin and co. will run themselves into the ground, McDonald will be the architect in the advanced role – the Australian's low centre of gravity and close control, along with his vision, will allow the Lions to advance forward – with the help of physical striker Ricardo Fuller.

Where on the pitch do you expect the key battle to lie?

The battle for me will be with Fulham's new signing Ross McCormack, and Alan Dunne. In previous years the Lions have tended to keep out high-profile strikers, and with Dunne moving inside to centre-half, the no-nonsense defender will do his best, along with defensive partner Mark Beevers, to keep the former Leeds hitman out. Expect this battle to be one of the key contests during Saturday's proceedings.

What is the average fan's perception of Holloway as manager?

The perception of Holloway is that he's a bit of a joker, and is fairly good at managing football teams, too. Holloway himself admits he likes a laugh, but is a serious football manager. You need only look at his CV to see the unprecedented promotions with Blackpool and Crystal Palace. He knows how to get his teams playing, and playing well. He understands how to win, with style, and that can only benefit Millwall.

It's a long time since Fulham played Millwall – what are you expecting from the game?

Fulham had nine debutants in their side against Ipswich at the weekend, so I'm expecting a tough encounter. Scott Parker in midfield will add the bite that the hosts need in a youthful XI. They will want to bounce back and show the home fans they deserve to play for Fulham.

Millwall will set out to match the Leeds result. Around 4,000 fans will be making the visit so they will be in fine fettle throughout the match. If that gets into the heads of the young team, it could see the Fulham fans become disgruntled and heap more pressure on them, which will play into the hands of the Lions.

Which Millwall players have impressed you which Fulham should be wary of?

Going on the strength of last season, as well as the Leeds game, Williams will dictate the tempo – his range of passing is phenomenal and, if given time on the ball, he will find his teammates with pinpoint accuracy for fun. As mentioned before, McDonald will look to shape Millwall's attacks in his new attacking midfield position. He was the Lions' man of the match on Saturday and everything Millwall created stemmed from him. Dunne and Beevers have a solid partnership at the back which has been the bedrock of the Lions' 10-game unbeaten run. Malone is a marauding left-back who will get forward at every chance and has the energy to defend effectively, too. Look out for his jaunts forward and influence in Millwall's attacking play down the left.

Are you looking forward to visiting Craven Cottage?

Saturday will mark my first trip to Craven Cottage. It's a match I earmarked as being in my top two for this season, along with a trip to Rotherham United's New York Stadium. Having more than 4,000 Millwall fans in the away end will add to an atmosphere of a London derby not played for 15 years.

What's your score prediction?

I'm going for 2-1 to Millwall. Fulham are in transition and new players need to settle in a new-look side, whereas Millwall have built on last season and have a settled team and manager in place. Being at home I feel Fulham will score, but the naivety of the players at Championship level may ultimately be their downfall.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/14/behind-enemy-lines?

WhiteJC

When Sunday comes: Fulham and Millwall make history

Rewind: Why January 20, 1974 is a landmark for English football

Landmark: Fulham take on Millwall in the first English league game to be played on a Sunday

It was a landmark day for football when Millwall and Fulham met on January 20, 1974.

The two London clubs will go head to head on Saturday in the Championship in what will be their first meeting since 1999.

But some 40 years ago the pair met for an historic clash at The Den, which would go on to change the face of football forever.

For it was the first time that a league match was played on a Sunday - something as common these days as enjoying a roast dinner.

The introduction of Sky in the 1990s means settling down to a watch a game on a Sunday is almost second nature, particularly for the younger generation.

But back in 1974 it was a different story.

Britain was in the grip of an energy crisis caused by Arab OPEC members refusing to provide oil to western nations who had supported Israel in the Yom Kippur War in 1973.

At the beginning of 1974 the miners went on strike which exacerbated the situation even further.

With clubs looking to save on energy by not using floodlights, the call came forward for Sunday games to be played.

So step forward Millwall and Fulham who kicked off at 11.30am, one of three Second Division matches played that day.

Brian Clarke scored the only goal of the game as the Lions won 1-0 against a Whites team which featured the likes of Barry Lloyd, Les Barrett, Alan Mullery, John Mitchell and Alan Slough - all of whom would go on to play in the Cottagers' only ever FA Cup final appearance, against West Ham, a little over a year later.

As well as the energy crisis, there was an added problem. Law at that time prevented tickets being sold for a game on Sunday so admission was technically free.

Clubs got round this by making people buy a programme which got them entry into the ground.

And that was that - Sunday league football was born.

A week later the first Division One match was played on a Sunday with Chelsea meeting Stoke.

As for the rest of that 1973-74 season, Fulham went on to finish 13th in the table, one place behind the Lions.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunday-comes-fulham-millwall-make-7609784?

WhiteJC

Do Fulham really need to sign Leicester City's Chris Wood?

Leicester City's Chris Wood has been linked with a move to Fulham (Picture: Getty Images)

With seven strikers on our books, you'd have thought Felix Magath and his back room staff would have better things to do than scour the market for new forwards.

Yet, if rumours are to be believed, Fulham are one of four Championship clubs chasing Leicester City's Chris Wood, a 22 year-old striker who has proven prolific in the second tier.

It's a strange one, given our wealth of players, and for that fact alone you have to doubt the necessity of bringing a player like Wood in.

Ross McCormack, given his transfer fee and fine pedigree at this level, will command a first-choice role in the front line, while a talented group of players including Moussa Dembele, Cauley Woodrow and the experienced Hugo Rodallega will battle to be his partner.

It's not a bad problem to have, of course, this monumental competition for places. But, surely, there is a limit?

Signing the New Zealand forward would only push our crop of promising youngsters further to the fringes, even though they have all proved they are worthy of first team football. Woodrow, for example, has already scored at Premier League level while Dembele had a superb pre-season.

The Leicester striker, though, does have much he can bring to the table, and some of his attributes are sorely lacking among our current group.

He's a big, physical player for one, standing in at 6ft 3in, while his strength makes him an excellent hoarder of the ball, something we have perhaps missed since both Pavel Pogrebnyak and Bobby Zamora have left the club.

The New Zealander also possesses a wealth of knowledge of the Championship, despite his relatively young age. He's played at this level for Barnsley, Brighton, Birmingham, Bristol City, Millwall and Leicester and has a healthy goal record to go with it.

Potentially, he could complement a player like McCormack wonderfully but, in many ways, the same can be said for the likes of Dembele, Woodrow and co.

And as such, it continues to be a strange move, if there is any truth in it. Were the deal to go ahead, it could be a shrewd acquisition, but there is no doubting there are bigger gaps to fill in this Fulham team.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/14/do-fulham-really-need-to-sign-leicester-citys-chris-wood-4831865/?

WhiteJC

Defender reveals his personal target at Fulham

Shift over Sascha, there's Tim to contend with now

Mine! Hoogland heads goalward playing for Schalke

Tim Hoogland has set his heart on eclipsing Sascha Riether at Fulham.

In fact, one of the few bright sparks on a disappointing opening day 2-1 defeat at Ipswich, reckons good defending is not a German thing, but a Hoogland thing.

"German spirt?" he shot back when suggested most of his countrymen including Riether seem adept at running a tight ship. "It's my spirit! Although maybe it's the art of football we learn in the youth teams at home."

Sascha Riether

Hoogland has met the man he has ostensibly replaced at right-back, and is well versed on what a former top three player of the year in white achieved in his two seasons at Craven Cottage.

"I know Sascha even though I never played with him, " Hoogland said. "And I believe he was honoured as best defender at one stage? I would like that it would be me one day, but I have first to play my part and help Fulham in any way I can."

A frustrated Felix Magath left Ipswich exasperated at the rough treatment meted out to his team that included six academy graduates.

The Whites boss reckoned he was doing his bit to promote youth in the English game - but rounded on referee Steve Martin for his performance.

Magath said: "What do you want? The Football League wants young players to come through, but they need taking care of in games.

"Where do you want them come through if not in games?

"The game needs to take care of its young players and then they will improve even in the Championship. The referee has not his best day.

"Everybody wants young players and now I'm giving them the chance and in the next game, but I want to get promoted. I don't want to stay in this league even though Ipswich is a nice town."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/defender-reveals-personal-target-fulham-7601142?

WhiteJC

Next Up Millwall

League Football returns to Craven Cottage on Saturday when Millwall and Fulham do battle for the first time in 15 years.

The opposition

A solid start to the 2014/15 season has seen Millwall win both of their matches, comfortably defeating Leeds United 2-0 in the Sky Bet Championship last weekend before knocking Wycombe Wanderers out of the Capital One Cup on Tuesday.

After battling relegation for the last few campaigns, the majority of Millwall supporters would settle for a season of mid-table security this year, but there are some optimistic whispers that Ian Holloway could repeat his previous Championship successes when he took unfancied Blackpool and Crystal Palace sides up through the Play-Offs.

A relatively quiet summer transfer window saw Holloway bring in a number of players on free transfers, including long-time Fulham defender Matthew Briggs. The Academy graduate had an eventful debut in the cup in midweek, scoring what proved to be the winning goal before later being sent off for two bookable offences.

Everton attacker Magaye Gueye, Blackpool's Ricardo Fuller and Byron Webster from Yeovil Town have also made the move to South-East London, while Lee Gregory, prolific at non-League level for AFC Halifax Town, joined for a reported £250,000. Additionally, former loanee Carlos Edwards made a permanent switch from Ipswich Town.

Ticket's for Saturday's game are on sale to Season Ticket Holders, Members, and supporters with a booking history, and are priced from £30 for adults and £15 for juniors.

Team news

Briggs will miss out on a return to the Cottage following his dismissal against Wycombe, while midfield trio Nicky Bailey, Ed Upson and Richard Chaplow have been absent from both games so far this season through injury.

Inside the camp

David Forde is looking forward to the trip to the Cottage, and is a big fan of the stadium, with the Lions goalkeeper telling Millwall's official website: "We're all looking forward to going to Fulham. They'll be in for a bit of a shock because we'll be taking about 4,000 fans.

"I played at Craven Cottage a couple of months ago for the Republic of Ireland against Italy and the ground was packed. It's one of the few old school venues left, it's got a bit of history about it and the playing surface was top drawer. It's a lovely ground.

"It's always good to put yourself up against an ex-Premier League side. If our fans haven't been somewhere for a few years the excitement builds, and it is for this weekend. There is a real togetherness with this group of players too and you can feel the energy building."

Player to watch

Scott McDonald: Usually deployed as a striker, Scott McDonald occupied a role in behind Millwall's lone frontman Ricardo Fuller in their opening day victory against Leeds, and did so very successfully, linking up play to good effect. The Australian spent the early stages of his career in England with Southampton, Huddersfield Town and AFC Bournemouth, but things really took off for him when he moved north of the border. A prolific two-and-a-half years with Motherwell prompted Celtic to move for his services, and he went on to average a goal every other game for the Scottish giants.

Marathonbet match odds

Fulham: 20/21

Draw: 27/10

Millwall: 16/5

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/14/next-up-millwall?

WhiteJC

Delaware North scores Fulham FC catering contract & partners with BLINK at Wembley

Delaware North has been contracted to manage the catering operation at Fulham FC. The contract, which will see the company take over all catering provision at the club's Craven Cottage stadium including the general admission concourses, hospitality boxes and lounges, and non-match day conferences and events.

From year three of the deal, which has the potential to run for ten, Delaware North will also be responsible for the catering and hospitality at the club's new Riverside Stand, which is currently in the planning stage. This investment will provide a new meeting and events space overlooking the river Thames, while a new riverside café, open to the public, will also form part of this development and be included under Delaware North's remit.

Doug Tetley, managing director at Delaware North, said: "We're delighted to have been awarded the contract at Fulham FC, especially during such a significant period of investment for the club. Craven Cottage has been the home of Fulham FC for the past 115 years, and we're proud to add such a historic venue to our select portfolio of UK stadiums."

Meanwhile, the company has also announced a new three-year partnership with BLINK, a group of established and emerging specialist high street brands, street food operators and producers, at Wembley Stadium. BLINK has been appointed to provide additional specialist food partners, to complement the core offer within the stadium.

http://www.stadia-magazine.com/news.php?NewsID=61523

WhiteJC

David Forde: Keeping it clean

Lions keeper looking for third successive clean sheet
David Forde heads to Championship new-boys Fulham this Saturday aiming to make it a hat-trick of wins - and clean sheets - for Millwall this season.

The Lions have picked up where they left off last season, with a 2-0 win against Leeds United and 1-0 victory over Wycombe extending the team's unbeaten run to 10 games in domestic competition.

Keeper Forde has started both matches, making key saves at critical stages to help Millwall get the new campaign up and running.

And he will be hoping the impressive defensive stat that has seen just one goal scored against The Lions in their last five Championship starts, is further improved on at Craven Cottage.

Millwall last conceded a goal four games ago at QPR when Charlie Austin scored from the penalty spot. However you have to go back to 8th April and Almen Abdi's 86th-minute strike for Watford in a 2-2 draw to find the last time Millwall let in a goal from open play - seven matches and 634 minutes ago!

"It was good to get another clean sheet against Wycombe this week," Forde told www.millwallfc.co.uk "It was an efficient win for us; we stood up to a big test as they came out and were up for it.

"There is a great sense of pride at the moment and we want to keep that going. To have an unbeaten run like this gives us a great boost.

"We are all looking forward to going to Fulham. They'll be in for a bit of a shock because we will be taking about 4,000 fans.

"I played at Craven Cottage a couple of months ago for the Republic of Ireland against Italy and the ground was packed. It's one of the few old school venues left, it's got a bit of history about it and the playing surface was top drawer. It's a lovely ground.

"It's always good to put yourself up against an ex-Premier League side. If our fans haven't been somewhere for a few years the excitement builds, and it is for this weekend. There is a real togetherness with this group of players too and you can feel the energy building.

"Fulham will also know all about our fans on Saturday when they get into full voice, I'm sure of that!"

Read more at http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/article/david-forde-keep-it-clean-1828583.aspx#JEGtoz1itEOQeC40.99

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs. Millwall

Life back in the Championship did not get off to a good start for Fulham, who lost their opening match of the season to Ipswich Town last weekend.

The Cottagers - back in the second tier after a 13-year absence - entered the season as one of the favourites to bounce straight back into the Premier League, but struggled with a new-look side at Portman Road.

Manager Felix Magath named eight debutants for the match after a summer of big change at Craven Cottage, including striker Ross McCormack, who became the most expensive player ever outside the top flight with his £11m move from Leeds United.

The Scot struggled to make an impact last weekend, but he ended last season as the league's top scorer and Magath has already backed him to become the "perfect striker".

Should he and his teammates gel quickly then Fulham should trouble the top of the table this season, and a home match against Millwall this Saturday is one that they will be expected to win.

However, much depends on how quickly Magath can turn his new-look side into a cohesive unit, with more departures and arrivals expected before the end of the transfer window.

The Cottagers weren't in action midweek for the League Cup first round and have no new injury concerns to worry about, so could name an unchanged side despite the result against Ipswich.

While Fulham struggled in their opener, Millwall exceeded expectations with a comfortable 2-0 victory at home to Leeds courtesy of goals from Mark Beevers and Shaun Williams.

The Lions were embroiled in a fascinating relegation battle for the vast majority of last season, but manager Ian Holloway has insisted that his side can finish in the top half this time around.

Only time will tell whether such a statement is overly ambitious on his part, but victory away to Fulham would certainly be an early statement of intent.

The signs are good so far for Millwall, who made it two wins from two on Tuesday with a 1-0 victory over Wycombe Wanderers in the League Cup.

However, Holloway will be without the suspended Matthew Briggs this weekend after the defender scored and got sent off in that midweek victory.

Recent form

Fulham: DWWWWL

Millwall: DWWDWW

Possible starting lineups

Fulham: Joronen; Hoogland, Bodurov, Hutchinson, Stafylidis; Parker, Burgess, David, Hyndman; Dembele, McCormack

Millwall: Forde; Edwards, Beevers, Dunne, Malone; Martin, Williams, Abdou, Woolford; McDonald, Fuller

Sports Mole says: 2-1

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/preview/preview-fulham-vs-millwall_171137.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham closing on Boca Juniors defender Tiago Casasola in £800k deal
Fulham closing in on £800k deal for Boca Juniors defender Tiago Casasola
19-year-old has been watched by Barcelona, Roma and Tottenham
Cottagers lost 2-1 to Ipswich on opening day of Championship season

Fulham are closing on an £800,000 deal for Boca Juniors defensive starlet Tiago Casasola.

The 19-year-old has been watched by Barcelona, Roma and Tottenham scouts in recent months but Championship Fulham have stolen the initiative and hope to wrap up a deal for the Argentina U20 international over the weekend.

Casasola has an Italian passport so would not require work permit.

Close: Fulham are closing in on an £800,000 deal to sign 19-year-old Boca Juniros defender Tiago Casasola

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2725323/Fulham-closing-Boca-Juniors-defender-Tiago-Casasola-800k-deal.html#ixzz3AQd6Jv6a
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Two Ton Ted

The biggest game in the League Cup draw is Bradford v Leeds. That'll be a 25,000 sell out.

Griffin Park will not sell out.
Never ever bloody anything ever.