News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who's still calm and hopefull of this season?

Started by Blanco, August 21, 2014, 12:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

We should keep calm - panicking never does any good.

The wrong new manager will only be leaping from frying pan to fire - definitely should not be Sherwood, or Mackay imo.

It's Felix who has brought in the youth in the first place, someone else will probably demote them again, meaning more upheaval, and we should give him more time I think.

Artful Dodger

I'm not calm!! Yes, there are more important things in the world so we have to keep it all in perspective but Fulham is one of the things I care about to distract me from what is the madness in the world, so no, I am not staying calm!

I knew it would be tough but not this bad. I could pick about 10 people from this message board that seem to know more about what needs to be done than Magath. The 3 teams we have played have all had 'old fashioned' managers in Jackett, Holloway and McCarthy - we have a guy that thinks.....well actually I have no idea what he thinks. I think we do have enough in the squad to have a top half finish but it wont happen whist we chop and change 4 or 5 players every week!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Oakeshott

The problem is, we don't really know if there is one problem or several.

FM is obviously a problem, as he seems to lack two qualities - man management and any clear sense of how he wants the team to play.

The CE may be a problem, but we don't know what he advised MAF or Khan, and for what he should properly be given credit and for what he should properly be criticised.

The owner may be a problem. Others have speculated that he isn't interested in the football, just the tax loss or property sale possibilities, but speculation isn't knowledge, and I for one was very concerned that MAF might have bought us just to sell CC and he proved a great owner with a real commitment to the club. There is one clear difference, though - MAF was London-based and in touch, Khan is US-based and has, we presume, another first love in sporting terms, his US team.

Although it is very early in the season, I do think FM must go unless he shows in the next two games that he has now identified his first choice team and how he intends them to play. Roy brought us success by playing a more or less settled team, clearly set up in which each player knew what he was expected to do. Jol and to a lesser extent Rene showed how not doing that brings failure, and at the moment it looks as though FM is of the same stamp.

Even without additional funds, the players we now have (with replacements for Mit and Ruiz if they are sold) are good enough to hold their own in this league IF PROPERLY ORGANISED AND MOTIVATED. Of the possibly available options there seem to be several well able to meet that requirement - Adkins (if he could be obtained from Reading), Mackay (if the current allegations against him prove insubstantial), Hughton and (if willing to step down to the Championship) Pulis. After what would then be four managers in a year it would, unfortunately, be too much of a gamble to consider unproven options such as Kit or Danny Murphy - would that we could wind the clock back three months, have brought in Danny as manager and started this season with Stockers, Brede and Steve Sidwell!

westcliff white

I am getting more depressed as each game goes on, we look like we did last season just with good / exceptional younger players, yes they have energy and are good players but they seem to have no direction and that comes from the manager. It is ok being fit but you have to have a plan and sadly we dont seem to have one which entails scoring goals.

It is going to be a long 43 games, unless change is made now or very soon.
Every day is a Fulham day

Julius Geezer

I'm calm for another 3 games.

If we're still without a win after another 3 games then we need to line up some alternatives to Magath.

The first two games were encouraging - last night was poor.

We can't let our young squads confidence take a battering already.

GloucesterWhite

I don't know if Khan is the problem or if it is the advice that he is getting. One of the biggest problems IMO is the board which consists of Ali Mac, an accountant with a background in tennis, and an American brought in from Jacksonville who I assume knwos little or nothing about 'soccer'. So that leaves just Ali Mac to run what is supposed to be a £150M company. To me that is crazy. MAF had several non-exec directors to give advice, Khan got rid of them and has only Ali Mac. The board needs to be strengthened so that at least Khan is getting more than one opinion of what is going on.

westcliff white

Quote from: Julius Geezer on August 21, 2014, 08:20:07 AM

If we're still without a win after another 3 games then we need to line up some alternatives to Magath.

If we wait 3 more games i think the transfer window will be closed, the new guy would not have any of his own players to work with

Beamer

Lots of other sides have brought in youngsters but the big difference is that they have introduced them alongside solid, seasoned, experienced older players from the league.
It is ridiculous to throw this many kids to the lions (or wolves for that matter) en masse and compound that by constantly chopping and changing the side every game. Clearly we appear to have no idea what our best side is and unless we have serious acquisitions already in the pipeline how is any decent player going to be tempted to join a club which appears to have little direction at present.

Grimson

I am calm.
I havent seen the game against wolves, but the first two matches showed that we can compete in this league.
I find it a little strange that everybody is blaming Felix for the players personal mistakes. Felix have to make a team play ball and create chanches but he cant take the blame for poor finishing and blipps in defence. He cant take the blame for the last years top goalscorer suddenly not knowing where the goal is. And for the first two matches we had about 20 shots in each.

I dont agree with everything Felix has done, but I think he has done much good. When we are fielding young players we must expect some personal errors, but they will learn.

And I think Wolves will be competing for the playoffs this year.
(sorry for my english...)

Julius Geezer

Quote from: westcliff white on August 21, 2014, 08:23:18 AM

If we're still without a win after another 3 games then we need to line up some alternatives to Magath.

If we wait 3 more games i think the transfer window will be closed, the new guy would not have any of his own players to work with

There would still be loan options for us, which would probably suit us better until January.

Plus who's to say Magath is signing these players anyway!

andrew_grizzly

Quote from: Grimson on August 21, 2014, 08:36:53 AM
I am calm.
I havent seen the game against wolves, but the first two matches showed that we can compete in this league.
I find it a little strange that everybody is blaming Felix for the players personal mistakes. Felix have to make a team play ball and create chanches but he cant take the blame for poor finishing and blipps in defence. He cant take the blame for the last years top goalscorer suddenly not knowing where the goal is. And for the first two matches we had about 20 shots in each.

I dont agree with everything Felix has done, but I think he has done much good. When we are fielding young players we must expect some personal errors, but they will learn.

And I think Wolves will be competing for the playoffs this year.
(sorry for my english...)

Inclined to agree. I was there last night and I think my frustration was a result of us not getting a point rather than us playing badly. Just shows what one defenseless lapse can cost you.

RaySmith

We should remember those  two good performances against Ipswich and Millwall, but we lost, somewhat unluckily, and now a collective lack of confidence seems to have set in, and Felix's selection certainly seems at fault, with the constant changes.

But it's important to try and look calmly at things, even though everyone is very angry -and not to make knee jerk decisions.

grandad

I am never calm where Fulham are concerned. I want answers to the following:-

Where is the investment that Khan promised? This season is about promotion not sustainability he said.

What influence has Mackintosh? Has he sweetened us by buying McCormack a then telling Khan ,don´t spend any more, tell Magath he will have to use the kids.

Who sanctioned the signing of Fotheringham? Who scouted & suggested him ?

Who agreed to sell Stockdale for a pittance & put the responsibility on 2 raw youngsters.

Why for the 3rd season have we not bought the creative midfielder we have been craving.

At the moment there are more questions than answers.
Where there's a will there's a wife

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: grandad on August 21, 2014, 08:51:58 AM

Where is the investment that Khan promised? This season is about promotion not sustainability he said.

What influence has Mackintosh? Has he sweetened us by buying McCormack a then telling Khan ,don´t spend any more, tell Magath he will have to use the kids.

Who agreed to sell Stockdale for a pittance & put the responsibility on 2 raw youngsters.

Why for the 3rd season have we not bought the creative midfielder we have been craving.

:plus one:

The way Magath keeps saying the kids are the future and that is how he has always worked makes me suspect he has said he can make do with what we have.

As for Ali Mac, I said in another thread I think he needs help. MAF had several non-exec directors giving advice, Khan got rid of them and Mac is in effect running the club on his own. He needs more directors to help him.

westcliff white

Quote from: Julius Geezer on August 21, 2014, 08:38:34 AM
Quote from: westcliff white on August 21, 2014, 08:23:18 AM

There would still be loan options for us, which would probably suit us better until January.

Plus who's to say Magath is signing these players anyway!
One the players loaned after the deadline are usually prem league youngsters not sure we need more kids so to speak, second Mcgath said last week we are not looking for more players, so i don't expect him to be that active now (unless he is pulling the wool over other clubs eyes). MY main point is if we change the manager do it so he can get a couple of players that he wants in, don't do it just after the window closes as we did with Felix.

Julius Geezer

We need to sell first before bringing in new players!

It would be out the new managers hands.

Putney

Quote from: grandad on August 21, 2014, 08:51:58 AM

David and Eisfeld seem to be creative enough to fill our need for a creative midfielder, just of course they need game time.

Peter Grant is Fotheringham's mate and got him the gig.

you lucky people

it's 3 games for God's sake! Before Social Media we used to troop up to Craven Cottage watch the team play and (usually) lose, have a few pints and go home and forget about bloody football until the next week. Felix will get there, this group of players is too good. Time is what they need and in The Championship they have time 
'Remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean, cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.'