https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (21/06/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 21, 2010, 06:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202300
Fulham - Pantsil Injury Horror!
Yesterday was a rare occurrence in the World Cup 2010 in South Africa.

The match between Australia and Ghana saw two Fulham first team players face each other in opposition.

Mark Schwarzer performed miracles between the posts as Australia came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 whilst John Pantsil finished the game being carried away on a stretcher.

Pantsil picked up a nasty looking head injury after clashing heads with both a team mate and an opposition player.

With blood pouring from the wound we hope that Pantsil makes a recovery in double quick time to play his part in Ghana`s last Group match.

Get well soon John!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202300#ixzz0rSkth9u3

WhiteJC

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20062010/58/premier-league-transfers-sven-tipped-return.html?
Premier League - Transfers: Sven tipped to return

Brace yourselves - Sven-Goran Eriksson is in line to make a shock return to the Premier League with Fulham.

The current Ivory Coast boss has emerged as a strong contender to replace Roy Hodgson, who has been linked with the Liverpool job following the exit of Rafa Benitez this summer.

While the Cottagers still want to hold on to Hodgson, they are making contingency plans, with former England and Manchester City boss Sven catching the eye of Alistair Macintosh, who worked with him during their time at City.

Sven's contract with Ivory Coast expires at the end of the World Cup and the Sunday Mirror clams he would relish a return to England.

If not, how about Mark Hughes to replace Hodgson? Another former Manchester City boss, Hughes has been earmarked for the Fulham hotseat, according to the News Of The World.

Manuel Pellegrini's lawyer had admitted the former Real Madrid manager has received an offer from a Premier League club, intensifying speculation he may pip Hodgson to the Liverpool job.

The Chilean is thought to have met with Kenny Dalglish at Heathrow on Thursday to discuss the vacant manager's position on Merseyside, although sources close to Pellegrini insisted there had been no contact. (The Sunday Telegraph)

WhiteJC

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/bradley-hints-playing-dempsey-top?
Bradley hints at playing Dempsey up top

With Findley's suspension, Fulham man could be pushed forward

IRENE, South Africa – With striker Robbie Findley out of the US' game against Algeria on Wednesday due to yellow-card accumulation, Bob Bradley has an interesting lineup choice to make. Who does he pair with Jozy Altidore in the crucial group-stage finale?

Bradley said on Saturday he likes his remaining options, and that both Edson Buddle and Herculez Gomez -- who have seen limited minutes as substitutes in this World Cup -- are good choices up top. But the US coach seemed to intimate that he may have more faith in midfielder Clint Dempsey, whom he has often pushed up to the second forward spot to provide some extra bite.

In Friday's match against Slovenia, Bradley subbed in Benny Feilhaber for the ineffective Findley after halftime, moving Dempsey up next to Altidore as the US pushed to rally from a two-goal deficit. Bradley said he likes the Fulham star in that position because of the different dynamic he brings.

"I thought Clint did a good job there," Bradley said. "When we talk about in the right moments coming underneath, finding seams, helping win some balls in the air, I think those are things Clint has shown he does well when he plays in that role, whether it's for Fulham or for us."

Dempsey has had some good performances for the US when he has been moved to the forward position. Against Egypt in last summer's Confederations Cup, he scored three minutes after making the switch late in a 3-0 US win, then netted again after moving up top late in the semifinal upset of Spain.

For his part, Dempsey says he prefers to play the left midfielder position, where he's able to attack inside with his right foot, but has no issues with being deployed wherever Bradley needs him.

"I feel comfortable playing left midfield, right midfield, playing up top or being a withdrawn forward or even being the player that's behind the two forwards," he said on Sunday. I feel confident [that] whatever position I'm put in, I have an understanding of what I need to do on the field."

Whether he scores or not, the US will need Dempsey's contributions in Wednesday's tilt with Algeria. The Americans must win the match to ensure they advance to the knockout rounds. A tie can also see them through, but they'll be at the mercy of the England-Slovenia result.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6217083/Stimson-swoops-for-two-youngsters?
Stimson swoops for two youngsters

Gillingham boss Mark Stimson has sealed the signing of teenage strike pair Stefan Payne and Andrew White from Fulham and Reading respectively.

The two 19-year-olds have arrived on free transfers, with Payne signing a two-year deal and White putting pen to paper on a 12-month contract.

Gills manager Andy Hessenthaler, who appointed Ian Hendon as his assistant last week, is hoping to add more new players to his squad in time for the start of pre-season training.

WhiteJC

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE65J1JI20100620?rpc=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews&rpc=401
Dempsey wants consistency in penalty box decisions

South Africa (Reuters) - Players were warned before the World Cup that holding and grabbing at set-pieces would result in a penalty but referees are not cracking down on the pushing, shoving and headlocks that go on in the box, said U.S. forward Clint Dempsey.

SPORTS

The United States were denied a game-winning goal against Slovenia on Friday after referee Koman Coulibaly of Mali disallowed Maurice Edu's 85th minute effort.

The incident left the U.S. camp fuming and they are still in the dark about Coulibaly's decision.

Reports have suggested the referee penalised Dempsey for an infringement in the box as Landon Donovan whipped in a free kick.

"If you freeze frame that play, three of our guys are in a headlock," Dempsey told a news conference on Sunday.

"Before the tournament they told us any kind of holding on corners is a penalty. Any type of grabbing around the player is a penalty. And then you get to the game and that's not what's going on."

Dempsey said the grabbing and holding at corners and free kicks was something he experienced often in the English Premier League but that if referees at the World Cup were prepared to let it go he should not be penalised for trying to break free.

"That's something you get used to playing in the Premiership," he added. "Playing against teams like Stoke, Blackburn, Bolton, teams with strong players at the back, you just have to find a way to get free."

The United States play Algeria in the final Group C game and Dempsey said it was important to keep their emotions in check.

U.S. coach Bob Bradley had been driving home that message throughout the World Cup, he added.

"This game is no different, we need to make sure that we're smart and that we don't let emotions get the best of us," said Dempsey, whose goal in their Group C opener gave the United States a 1-1 draw with England.

"We lost a little bit of that in the last game, but the only person we're going to be missing in the next game is (striker Robbie) Findley, who got a yellow card for the ball hitting him in the face."

(Editing by Nigel Hunt)

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202337
Fulham - Youngster Departs
In a small piece of news which could have easily passed by unnoticed, Fulham have unloaded teenage striker Stefan Payne.

The 19-year-old has signed a two year deal at rivals Gillingham under the new regime of Andy Hessenthaler.

He was sounded as a good prospect for the future after being brought in from Sutton United, so it will be interesting to see how his future pans out. Good luck to the lad.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202337#ixzz0rSmoxMOM

Tom

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 21, 2010, 06:34:47 AM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20062010/58/premier-league-transfers-sven-tipped-return.html?
Premier League - Transfers: Sven tipped to return

Brace yourselves - Sven-Goran Eriksson is in line to make a shock return to the Premier League with Fulham.

The current Ivory Coast boss has emerged as a strong contender to replace Roy Hodgson, who has been linked with the Liverpool job following the exit of Rafa Benitez this summer.

While the Cottagers still want to hold on to Hodgson, they are making contingency plans, with former England and Manchester City boss Sven catching the eye of Alistair Macintosh, who worked with him during their time at City.

Sven's contract with Ivory Coast expires at the end of the World Cup and the Sunday Mirror clams he would relish a return to England.

If not, how about Mark Hughes to replace Hodgson? Another former Manchester City boss, Hughes has been earmarked for the Fulham hotseat, according to the News Of The World.

Manuel Pellegrini's lawyer had admitted the former Real Madrid manager has received an offer from a Premier League club, intensifying speculation he may pip Hodgson to the Liverpool job.

The Chilean is thought to have met with Kenny Dalglish at Heathrow on Thursday to discuss the vacant manager's position on Merseyside, although sources close to Pellegrini insisted there had been no contact. (The Sunday Telegraph)

Not this sh!t again. Fail!!!  :doh: :doh: :doh:
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 21, 2010, 06:32:57 AM
http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202300
Fulham - Pantsil Injury Horror!
Yesterday was a rare occurrence in the World Cup 2010 in South Africa.

The match between Australia and Ghana saw two Fulham first team players face each other in opposition.

Mark Schwarzer performed miracles between the posts as Australia came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 whilst John Pantsil finished the game being carried away on a stretcher.

Pantsil picked up a nasty looking head injury after clashing heads with both a team mate and an opposition player.

With blood pouring from the wound we hope that Pantsil makes a recovery in double quick time to play his part in Ghana`s last Group match.

Get well soon John!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202300#ixzz0rSkth9u3
Get well John. Head injuries always look worse than they are.
Fulham for life!

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/6/20/1527234/regardless-of-the-hodgson?
Regardless Of The Hodgson Situation Fulham Can Move On - Opinion

The Roy Hodgson managerial saga has been difficult to follow as a fan of the Cottagers. My initial thought was if Hodgson leaves the team could be in trouble. I have had time to think about it and I have changed my mind on the future of Fulham. Even if Hodgson leaves for another club or England, Fulham can move on and possibly prosper.

As a fan of the New England Patriots I have dealt with coaching rumors before. There were rumors about Bill Parcells leaving for the New York Jets right before the Super Bowl in 1997. It was difficult to read because just like this situation I was concerned about the future of my team. Those rumors turned out to be true and Parcells left. The Patriots started to go downhill for the next three seasons. Then, they brought in a new coach who eventually led the team to 3 Super Bowl titles. Sometimes you can take a step back before moving forward. In the end, Parcells leaving was one of the best things to happen to the Patriots. They eventually received the greatest American football coach of all time in Bill Belichick.

My point with Fulham is if Hodgson leaves it does not mean the end for the club. It is possible to move on. Fulham might take a step back at first, but I have faith they would eventually move forward. It starts at the top with ownership. As long as Mohamed Al Fayed is the owner of Fulham I think the club will be fine.  

The perception of the club I think is already changing. There are many players from other clubs that have been rumored to have interest in coming to Fulham. That happens to be a great sign. Another great sign is that Fulham look like they are trying to hold off from selling some of their best players. Some might leave, but I can already see that the management of Fulham are trying hard to keep their team in tact.

There can be a second chapter to Fulham. It doesn't have to end if Hodgson leaves. I have faith that ownership and management will continue to try to make the club better.

Even if Fulham get relegated they will still be the team I will support. I have confidence though you will be seeing the Cottagers in the EPL for a long time. Regardless of the Hodgson situation Fulham can move on.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1288169/Birmingham-City-set-capitalise-Roy-Hodgsons-uncertain-Fulham-future-swoop-Bobby-Zamora.html?ITO=1490
Birmingham City set to capitalise on Roy Hodgson's uncertain Fulham future with swoop for Bobby Zamora

Birmingham City are hoping to exploit the uncertainty surrounding Roy Hodgson's position at Fulham by reviving their bid to sign Fulham striker Bobby Zamora.

Birmingham are still keen on left-back Paul Konchesky too although both players are expected to be offered new contracts by Fulham.

Hodgson is wanted by Liverpool and is on England's shortlist should Fabio Capello step down. Despite the fact Fulham would turn to Mark Hughes if they lost Hodgson, Birmingham believe they can tempt Zamora away and have put him back on their wish-list.

They are also interested in Tottenham's Robbie Keane but did not want to pay more than £5million which would make a deal difficult.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1288169/Birmingham-City-set-capitalise-Roy-Hodgsons-uncertain-Fulham-future-swoop-Bobby-Zamora.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0rSnler9k

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/zamora_on_city_hit_list_533100/index.shtml
Zamora On City Hit List

Birmingham City are hoping to exploit the uncertainty surrounding Roy Hodgson's position at Fulham by reviving their bid to sign striker Bobby Zamora.

City are still keen on left-back Paul Konchesky too although both players are expected to be offered new contracts by Fulham

Hodgson is wanted by Liverpool and is on England's shortlist should Fabio Capello step down.

Despite the fact Fulham would turn to Mark Hughes if they lost Hodgson, Birmingham believe they can tempt Zamora away and have put him back on their wish-list.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1288203/WORLD-CUP-2010-Roy-Hodgson-line-replace-Fabio-Capello-FA-fear-England-manager-go.html?ITO=1490
WORLD CUP 2010: Roy Hodgson in line to replace Fabio Capello as FA fear England manager will go

The FA fear Fabio Capello is preparing to quit if England fail to beat Slovenia on Wednesday.

Less than three weeks after removing an escape clause from a contract which expires in 2012, Capello is believed to be concerned about splits in the squad which he feels have undermined his World Cup plans.

Roy Hodgson would be the FA's top choice if they were to lose the Italian and the Fulham manager is trying to stall committing to Liverpool until after England's game on Wednesday.

Victory in Port Elizabeth would secure a place in the last 16 but the damage may have been done as far as Capello is concerned.

When he was asked about his future after the draw against Algeria, he replied that it was too soon to say. But yesterday Adrian Bevington, managing director of Club England at the FA, denied there were problems.

'There is certainly no disharmony from what I've seen,' he said. 'The mood is very good and very focused on the match against Slovenia and trying to get the win we need to take us through.'

But John Terry's remarks yesterday seemed to confirm rumours of dissenting voices within the camp.

One unhappy source likened the shift away from Capello to a couple who go on holiday and realise they hate each other.

Among the complaints are inadequate work on opponents or set-pieces, unhappiness at the way Rob Green discovered he had been dropped via the media and long boring afternoons confined to quarters.

There was a strong hint from Terry that players want Joe Cole, as yet unused in the tournament, brought into a five-man midfield, at the expense of Emile Heskey. And players have been offended by Capello's claim that they are frozen by fear.

Goalkeeper David James yesterday denied that his post- Algeria comments, when he disagreed with the manager about the fear factor, were designed to stir trouble.

'I am not critical of the players,' said Capello. 'It is simply fear. Fear that stops the legs, stops the mind, stops everything.

'I can't understand how they don't transfer their training form on to the pitch - that speed, their touch - they can't seem to change speed. We were really, really slow and at this World Cup if you don't run, don't press and don't fight it becomes very difficult.'

Asked if it felt like work done during the qualifiers had started to unravel, Capello replied: 'Yes it does. I don't know why.

I'm not happy overall. You work hard for 20 days, do all the preparations, see everything during training but then, on the pitch, it is all completely different.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1288203/WORLD-CUP-2010-Roy-Hodgson-line-replace-Fabio-Capello-FA-fear-England-manager-go.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0rSoX0bHT

WhiteJC

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/182066/World-Cup-2010-Roy-Hodgson-holding-out-for-England-job/?
WORLD CUP 2010: ROY HODGSON HOLDING OUT FOR ENGLAND JOB

ROY Hodgson is yet to commit himself to becoming the next Liverpool manager – because his number one job would be England.
Liverpool are this week set to step up their efforts to appoint Fulham boss Hodgson to succeed Rafa Benitez.

But Hodgson is yet to give any assurances he will go to Anfield and has told friends that he would prioritise England over any club job.

England must beat Slovenia on Wednesday to be sure of progressing through the group stages of the World Cup.

If they fail, it is expected boss Fabio Capello would either quit or be sacked. Former Inter Milan boss Hodgson would be the FA"s first-choice replacement for Capello and is said to be watching developments carefully, but his hand could be forced if Liverpool demand a decision this week.

Club ambassador Kenny Dalglish is likely to leave Anfield if Hodgson does eventually accept the post.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Roy-Hodgson-stalls-on-Liverpool-and-has-Fabio-Capello-s-England-job-in-his-sights-article481909.html
Hodgson stalls on Liverpool and has England job in his sights

Roy Hodgson is stalling on a decision on the Liverpool job – in case Fabio Capello gets the sack.

Fulham boss Hodgson has told friends managing England would be a dream job and is now watching developments closely.

Under-pressure Capello, on £6million a year, is under massive pressure and may even quit if England fail to reach the second round after Wednesday's crunch Group C game with Slovenia.

Hodgson was yesterday installed as the bookies' favourite to be the next England manager after Ladbrokes made him 5-2 ahead of Harry Redknapp at 4-1 and Stuart Pearce 7-1.

Ex-Switzerland and Inter Milan boss Hodgson has done a hugely impressive job at Fulham, which is why Liverpool have made him their top target and they are still hoping to appoint him this week.

But the uncertainty surrounding the England job and Capello's future has given Hodgson new food for thought and the 62-year-old may be tempted to leave Fulham for one last big job.

Liverpool want him but proud Englishman Hodgson – currently working as a TV pundit with the BBC in South Africa – would find it hard to turn down his country.

WhiteJC

BBC Sport - Football - FA fears Capello could quit if England make early exit
FA fears Capello could quit if England make early exit

The Football Association anticipates England coach Fabio Capello will resign if his team make their World Cup exit on Wednesday, BBC Sport understands.

The FA is refusing to publicly discuss the possibility of the team's elimination at the group stage.

But privately, senior figures admit they are considering their next move if England crash out against Slovenia.

This is a remarkable turn of events given the FA renegotiated Capello's four-year contract only on 2 June.

The FA removed a break clause from the Italian's four-year deal which would have allowed them to avoid paying him hefty compensation in the event they wanted to sack him.

Despite now discussing the possibility of Capello's exit, the FA's hierarchy says it remains firmly behind him going into Wednesday's must-win match against Slovenia.

Speaking on Sunday morning, Adrian Bevington, managing director of Club England at the FA, told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek: "Nothing has changed as far as we're concerned.

"I don't want to sit here discussing the manager's contract, or anyone's contract for that matter, in the middle of the World Cup.

"That was the whole reason we very publicly announced the situation [about Capello's contract amendment] while we were in Austria.

"All we're focused on is trying to get a result on Wednesday, to get through to the next round and go forward from there."
In fact there is a feeling among senior figures that the players should shoulder the greater share of the blame for the lacklustre performance against Algeria on Friday and the frustrating opening draw against the United States.

The FA is also concerned about apparent splits between groups of players in Capello's squad, believing that to be of more concern than any disquiet in the squad about his style and tough regime.

The issue of Capello's future would ultimately be a decision for the FA's board - who currently remain fully supportive of the manager.

And even if his England side become the first since 1958 to be knocked out at the group stage, there is believed to be a reluctance to fire him.

There are two reasons for this. The first is the difficulty of hiring another top-class manager. England have a friendly against Hungary at Wembley on 11 August and their first Euro 2012 qualifying clash against Bulgaria on 3 September.

606: DEBATE
I don's think there has been a World Cup which England have been involved in where the manager hasn't been ridiculed and attacked
Mancunian Red

They fear they would have very little time to hire a new coach in time for those matches.

And, while sources insist they are not considering the financial implications of any decision to remove Capello, the cost could be in the region of £10m, or two years' salary.

They know they would face accusations of wasting money so soon after the huge compensation pay-outs to Sven Goran Eriksson and Steve McClaren.

The FA removed a break clause, which would have allowed them to sack the 65-year-old for far less, a day before the team flew to South Africa.

The FA knows it will face intense criticism over that decision to take away that insurance policy if everything goes wrong for England on Wednesday.

Following the disappointing 0-0 draw with Algeria, Capello himself refused to rule out the possibility he would quit if England fly home from this World Cup earlier than expected.

The FA believes he is such an honourable and honest man that such a humiliating exit would force him to consider his position.

But a source close to Capello told the BBC on Sunday that he was not the sort of person to quit if things start going wrong.
England's elimination from the World Cup would be the latest blow to the FA after a dreadful six months which has seen John Terry forced to quit as national team captain following allegations about his private life and the departures of chief executive Ian Watmore and chairman Lord David Triesman.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8750708.stm?
Roy Hodgson Q&A

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is part of the BBC Sport team in Cape Town for the 2010 World Cup.

The former Inter Milan boss has been in charge of 15 teams during his 34-year managerial career, including Switzerland and Finland at international level. He steered the Swiss to the last 16 of the 1994 World Cup in the United States.

Hodgson, 62, took Fulham to the final of the Europa League last season and was named manager of the year by the League Managers Association.

He took time out from the studio to answer some of your questions on the World Cup sent in via Twitter

Why do you think some of the bigger teams are underperforming so far? karlhysteria
Two reasons. There is always a nervous start to tournaments because it is always difficult to push aside the fear of failure and the worry that it is not going to go your way

You build up to them for such a long time so that sometimes in that couple of games you do not necessarily show the best of yourself, either as an individual or as a team.

The second factor is that maybe we have underestimated the level of organisation - and the level of difficulty - that the bigger teams are being caused by teams defending well and limiting their time and space.

Of course, it does not matter what team you are playing against if they are capable of getting six, seven or eight players behind the ball all the time because by the time you get somewhere near their penalty area, there is not going to be a lot of space for you to play the ball into.

And, on top of that, we are talking about A) a lively ball and B) lively pitches, so nothing really has combined so far to help the forwards at this World Cup. Most of what has gone on has helped the defenders here so far, which is obviously going to help the sides that have done more defending.

Roy, if you had the money of Roberto Mancini and Manchester City, who from this World Cup would you sign? blueinyorkshire
I would sign Lionel Messi. I do not think you would win too many prizes for guessing that though!

How much bearing would performance at a World Cup have on your decision to sign a player? davidlbevan
I do not think World Cups are great places to sign players from because World Cup football is often very different from the type of football played in the league that you are looking for players to play in.

Of course it is a great showpiece for players and, as a manager, I am always looking at players and trying to assess their qualities.

But hopefully if I was watching someone here I would be, if you like, confirming a decision I had made from watching them in their league matches rather than suddenly deciding that player X is a wonder player on the back of one or two games at a World Cup.

So it is a good question and not one that I can answer "I never would" or "I always would". I would just hope that I had done enough research by the time the World Cup came around so I only had to be convinced one way or the other.

Are there any players that you are tracking at this World Cup and is there anyone you have been particularly impressed with so far? wigmanreturns
There have been a lot of players that I am impressed with - a lot of players I do not know that well.

But I have not come here in particular to track players, I have come here to work for the BBC and most of the player tracking that I have been been doing, I have been doing over a long period of time.

It would take me too long to name every individual player who has impressed me here but I suppose I am more impressed in some ways by teams.

I have been very surprised by the level of organisation of many of the teams from whom maybe we did not expect a great deal before the World Cup.

We have seen a lot from them too, like the North Koreans against Brazil, Switzerland's win over Spain and the Serbians beating the Germans. Of course, in each of those games, several top players have sprung to my attention.

Apart from England winning the World cup in 1966, what is your favourite World Cup moment? nickdegaris
Well, yes, England winning the World Cup is very special but, after that, it would be that magnificent group game four years later in Mexico at the 1970 World Cup, when England played Brazil in a very, very exciting match.

We saw that magnificent piece of play that culminated in Gordon Banks making that save, which has gone down as probably the greatest save in history.

That was a great moment and there was another in the World Cup final that year - the goals that the Brazilians scored by carving holes in what was a man-to-man Italy defence were amazing.

I have a lot of good memories from that tournament but my favourite memory of all is from 1994 when I was manager of Switzerland and we beat Romania 4-1 in our group game in Detroit.

What's your take on the Jabulani ball? Should players be able to cope or have things gone too far in trying to change the game? ramone78
For a number of years now we have had good footballs and people have got used to them. There is not usually a vast difference in playing with the different makes of ball either.

I do not know why it is necessary, apart from the obvious commercial reasons, to have a new football for the World Cup. I do not know why there is a need to constantly tinker with them, make them lighter or change the material.

As a football man and a football coach, I am not interested in the commercial aspect of the change. I am more interested in the technical aspect and there is no doubt that this football has not assisted the technical development of players during this tournament - if anything it has detracted from it.

Will they get used to it? It is light and it moves a lot so whether you get used to it or not it is still a lighter ball.

Maybe players will in some ways start to adjust their technique and the teams that go further in the tournament will no doubt become more comfortable with it but it would have been nice if we hadn't been always wasting our time to some extent talking about the ball when we should really be talking about the game.

What did you make of Clint Dempsey's goal for the United States against England? Were you proud of him as a Fulham player or are you going to have words with him when he's back at Craven Cottage? sparticus
Of course I was pleased for Clint. His job is to do well for his team and, although he plays in England and is used to playing against English players, he cannot be expected to dilute his performances against England because he is earning his living in that country.

He was playing for the US and England were an opponent - his job was to damage the opponent and he did it very well. We have to congratulate him on that.

Roy Hodgson was speaking to BBC Sport's Chris Bevan.

beijing ben

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 21, 2010, 06:42:45 AM
http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/6/20/1527234/regardless-of-the-hodgson?
Regardless Of The Hodgson Situation Fulham Can Move On - Opinion

The Roy Hodgson managerial saga has been difficult to follow as a fan of the Cottagers. My initial thought was if Hodgson leaves the team could be in trouble. I have had time to think about it and I have changed my mind on the future of Fulham. Even if Hodgson leaves for another club or England, Fulham can move on and possibly prosper.

As a fan of the New England Patriots I have dealt with coaching rumors before. There were rumors about Bill Parcells leaving for the New York Jets right before the Super Bowl in 1997. It was difficult to read because just like this situation I was concerned about the future of my team. Those rumors turned out to be true and Parcells left. The Patriots started to go downhill for the next three seasons. Then, they brought in a new coach who eventually led the team to 3 Super Bowl titles. Sometimes you can take a step back before moving forward. In the end, Parcells leaving was one of the best things to happen to the Patriots. They eventually received the greatest American football coach of all time in Bill Belichick.

My point with Fulham is if Hodgson leaves it does not mean the end for the club. It is possible to move on. Fulham might take a step back at first, but I have faith they would eventually move forward. It starts at the top with ownership. As long as Mohamed Al Fayed is the owner of Fulham I think the club will be fine.  

The perception of the club I think is already changing. There are many players from other clubs that have been rumored to have interest in coming to Fulham. That happens to be a great sign. Another great sign is that Fulham look like they are trying to hold off from selling some of their best players. Some might leave, but I can already see that the management of Fulham are trying hard to keep their team in tact.

There can be a second chapter to Fulham. It doesn't have to end if Hodgson leaves. I have faith that ownership and management will continue to try to make the club better.

Even if Fulham get relegated they will still be the team I will support. I have confidence though you will be seeing the Cottagers in the EPL for a long time. Regardless of the Hodgson situation Fulham can move on.

Going downhill in our football means going down! This comparison is crazy and a little worrying with regards to our support from abroad...

ScalleysDad

Interesting points JC but look at the thread immediatly beow yours and that will be the norm if Roy goes. BZ, Schwarz, Hangeland, Duff, Gera and even perhaps Murph could all headi for the exit door, Murph to do his coaching badges. The next chapter as Beijing Ben says could be a return to the dark days of aspiring to 17th. I don't think any other manager in the Prem has as much influence on the playing staff. I don't mean in a success, trophy laden way but in working for an honourable man the players have excelled and had two wonderful seasons. Many of them probably never thought they would be in Hamburg playing in a european final. Roy goes and we get a transistional period. We get the new ways, the new approaches and probably the new players. Hughes might slot right in of course and I think I would applaud that move but Sven makes us a team of fancy dans and a media circus. 

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/new_fulham_deals_for_zamora__konchesky_533113/index.shtml
New Fulham Deals For Zamora & Konchesky

Fulham are ready to hand Bobby Zamora and Paul Konchesky new contracts.

The Daily Mail says Birmingham City are still keen on left-back Konchesky and striker Zamora, although both players are expected to be offered new contracts by Fulham. Konchesky is also wanted by his former club West Ham United.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/06/21/fulham-fear-interfering-agents-64767-26693155/?
Fulham fear interfering agents

FULHAM fear grasping agents could talk their tops stars out of Craven Cottage and into lucrative deals elsewhere this summer.

The Whites admit they have a battle on their hands to hang on to the backbone of a squad that took them to their best ever season with a Europa League final in May after Paul Konchesky became the latest linked with a move away from SW6.

The full-back has been touted as a Birmingham City target, with Bobby Zamora (Celtic), Brede Hangeland and Mark Schwarzer (both Arsenal) – all supposedly lined up for multi-million pound deals with other Premiership outfits.

None of the four have made any noises about wanting to leave a Whites insider claims – but reckons agents have been at work trying to line clients' pockets as well as their own.

The source said: "None of those in the news have a contract that's up.

"In fact, in Brede's case he got an extension just last year. But you never know what clients are working at behind the scenes. They put out feelers – and then start to fan the flames.

"One thing's for sure – when it comes to an auction, Fulham are never going to win, and that's why a lot of the new faces will be players other clubs have forgotten about – or knew little about in the first place."