more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (28/08/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 26, 2014, 06:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

New Brentford 'keeper sees red as Tuesday just got better

No sooner have Birmingham City left Griffin Park than Brentford are preparing for the next home game – a Capital One Cup tie with Felix 'nil points' Magath's Fulham team on Tuesday. Whilst, no doubt, there'll be further build up to the Fulham game in the next column, for now here's a chance to catch up on those other things that there simply wasn't enough space to write about following the draw with Birmingham (along with an 11th hour bonus).

My feelings on referee Robert Madley have been well documented in the past and, disappointingly, these were proven to be spot on as this fusion of Stroud, Biggar and Attwell once again showed all the decision-making ability of a tom bola.

View from the terrace – David tells Madley to button it, as Tony troops off

The one positive for me is that at least I wasn't alone in this opinion. Any thoughts of "Could it have just been me?" were dispelled with a read of Greville Waterman's BFCtalk column on the subject. A very therapeutic piece for those of you seeing red about the card happy man in black.

Still, at least Robert wasn't alone in having a stinker on Saturday. The BBC didn't even have the excuse of having had to make a snap decision. I'm not sure which match their correspondent was watching but on returning home I read their website with amusement. Specifically the part of the match report that described how goalkeeper Tony Craig had been sent off – although at least substitute 'keeper David Button had made some smart saves.

I wrote on Saturday about Natalie Sawyer and Hayley McQueen's ALS ice bucket challenge. Later that day footage emerged of Matthew Benham completing his own, following a nomination from the Slough Town bound Alan Judge.

've also had to rise to the challenge, following nomination from Luis Adriano. You can catch the wobbly action, some of the worst shorts Brentford have ever worn and the next set of nominees (and do feel free to encourage them along) here. Warning:it does involve some slipped pecs and paunch.

Sunday afternoon saw a thumping 4-0 win for Tottenham against the Loftus Road mob. A four goal defeat mirrors that suffered by Fulham the day before and gives a wonderful sense of symmetery to the bottom of the Premiership and Championship tables.

Interestingly, Monday morning sees the Daily Telegraph reporting that Fulham boss Magath only has one game left in which to hang on to his job. You can read their story, here and then think on about the significance of what that next game is....

As one correspondent put it, "Tuesday just gets better".

http://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2014/08/25/new-brentford-keeper-sees-red-as-tuesday-just-got-better/?

WhiteJC

Woodrow: We'll Turn It Around

Cauley Woodrow is looking for Fulham to kickstart their season by securing bragging rights over Brentford in Tuesday's Capital One Cup Second Round clash.

The Whites make the short trip to Griffin Park after a poor start to the campaign which has seen them lose all four of their opening Sky Bet Championship games.

Fulham were beaten 5-1 at Derby County on Saturday but Woodrow is determined to help his side get a morale-boosting first win under their belts on Tuesday.

"It gives us a bit of respite from the league and hopefully we can get a good result to take us into Saturday's game with Cardiff City," Woodrow told the official website.

"It's not been a good start to the season but we just have to regroup. It's a long old season and we know we're going to turn it around and get some wins. It's not the start we would have wanted though, obviously."

Woodrow cut a disappointing figure in the tunnel at Derby's iPro Stadium after the loss to the Rams.

"We're all absolutely gutted," he said. "After the previous results, we trained hard all week and wanted to stay in the game as long as we could. We were desperate for a good result but we got absolutely opened up at times. Credit to Derby, they did well but we were poor.

"We played the same formation as we did against Wolverhampton Wanderers in midweek and we felt that had worked quite well at times. Ross McCormack tried to get on the ball against Derby and do what he's good at; he's played in the Championship for years. He played in the hole and in the first half we did alright. But as the game went on, we were poor defensively - not just the back four, but as a team."

After falling behind midway through the first half, Fulham had drawn level when skipper Scott Parker fired home shortly after the break.

But any hopes of a favourable result were soon dashed when Derby scored two goals in quick succession – and a late double sealed the comprehensive victory for Steve McClaren's side.

"Everyone says you're most vulnerable when you've just scored," stated Woodrow. "We needed to calm down a little bit, find our shape, relax and go again. But they just opened us up; we were poor defensively as a team as shown by the amount of goals they scored. Now we have to write this one off and try and forget about it ahead of two important games this week."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/25/woodrow-pre-brentford?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath must pay the ultimate price for managing Fulham's kids poorly

Felix Magath could be sacked by Fulham (Picture: Getty Images)

As someone who is against the trigger-happy notion that hiring and firing managers will bring you over night success, I, unapologetically, make a huge allowance when I say that Felix Magath has to go.

Magath as Fulham manager just doesn't fit. His management, style of play, formations and endgame – whatever that may be – just does not work in the Championship.

As I have mentioned time and time before, Fulham fans are not overly expectant of success. We don't ask for a great deal, and I'm sure there are still members among the ranks who believe Magath should be given more time.

But when you're rock bottom after four uninspired performances against a variety of teams with differing aspirations, time is a luxury in very short demand.

For me the problem appears to be his stubbornness and 'my way or the high way attitude'. I stand by what I previously said that releasing David Stockdale without an adequate replacement was a huge mistake, as it has indeed proved to be.

Releasing the likes of Brede Hangeland too was a mistake, and any other experienced first team player that may have wanted to stay.

Look at both Cardiff City and Norwich. Yes they're both acclimatising to the to new division, but both retained key players – notably the core to their teams, their goalkeepers – that have so far proved vital.

By criticising the team I am not criticising the youngsters. In Patrick Roberts, Emerson Hyndman, Chris David, Thomas Eisfeld, George Williams, Cauley Woodrow, Mousa Dembele and Jesse Joronen we have great prospects.

Patrick Roberts is one of Fulham's young prospects (Picture: Getty Images)

But, crucial to note at this point, still only prospects. The team Magath has assembled is one that could be fantastic in three years' time, but right now still riddled with inexperience.

What's more, expecting the likes of Patrick Robert's, a 17-year-old who currently stands at 5ft 5 and weighs just 58kg, to successfully take on and beat a whole back-line of defenders before scoring is ludicrous.

Not because he can't do it. I've seen him do things with a football I've never seen any one in a Fulham shirt do before at any age, but because it's far too much expectancy on such young shoulders.

It's poor management and quite frankly damaging to his development. The same goes for Joronen and indeed Cameron Burgess – the latter, an 18-year-old who has had a torrid time at centre-back recently.

The level of over-exposure these players are experiencing is doing nothing for their self-esteem as talented footballers and is in complete contrast to the exposure being gifted to Derby County's wonderkid Will Hughes who, through being nurtured correctly, came on with around 15 minutes of the game left to play and created two goals.

Speaking after the game Magath said: 'It is clear we have to change something', but the 'something' appears to be as elusive to him as it does the rest of us.

In my mind, Magath's quick-fix will be to stockpile more and more players – players who may not have an understanding of the Championship, and players that he won't consider fit enough to change our fortunes anyway.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/25/felix-magath-must-pay-the-ultimate-price-for-managing-fulhams-kids-poorly-4844003/?

WhiteJC

Brentford v Fulham preview

Brentford will be without Tony Craig as they attempt to pile on the misery for neighbours Fulham in their Capital One Cup clash.

Defender Craig is suspended following his red card against Birmingham on Saturday so Harlee Dean is set to return to the back four.

Winger Moses Odubajo, who scored Brentford's equaliser in the 1-1 draw, has been carrying a slight back injury so he could be rested while boss Mark Warburton will make further changes with club captain Kevin O'Connor and goalkeeper Richard Lee among those likely to be involved.

Full-back Nico Yennaris (back), winger Sam Saunders (knee) and striker Scott Hogan (ankle) are set to miss out again.

Fulham make the short trip to Griffin Park for the first time in 16 years reeling from four straight defeats which have left them bottom of the Championship.

They are still without Australian striker Adam Taggart, who has yet to resume training following a back injury.

Argentinian defender Tiago Casasola could be involved for the first time after completing his move to the Whites from Boca Juniors on Friday.

Under-pressure manager Felix Magath admitted changes needed to be made after Saturday's 5-1 drubbing at Derby so the likes of Alex Kacaniklic, Moussa Dembele and Hugo Rodallega will come into contention for starts.

http://www.teamtalk.com/match/preview/978/9439565/-?

WhiteJC

Championship Analysis - Derby and Fulham demonstrate the joys and pains of youth policy

Derby hammered Fulham on Saturday, allowing the Rams to break free from their lukewarm start to the season and send the Cottagers to the foot of the Championship table on goal difference.

Fulham manager Felix Magath has largely looked towards promoting a youth policy during his short time at the club but it's a strategy Derby have been working on for several seasons and it was clear which team had its structure in better shape.

A free-flowing Derby side, understandably favourites for promotion after narrowly missing out last season, overpowered a Fulham outfit containing six players under 21, some of whom are clearly not ready for first-team football at this level as the team's four straight defeats have shown.

Putting such a plan into place inevitably requires patience but Fulham's alarming slide means edging towards a 'here and now' balance has to intervene soon, something Magath alluded to in his post-match analysis.

"That was the worst performance but the good thing about today is that it is clear we have to change something," he said. "A few minutes after the game is not the time to talk about what we will change but for sure there will be new players in."

Magath's record at Craven Cottage has been poor so far and unsurprisingly the media has speculated on his future but owner Shahid Khan has already sacked two managers - Martin Jol and Rene Meulensteen - in less than a year and that may mean Magath will be given time to execute plan B with the players he plans to bring in before the transfer window closes.

Another manager under severe pressure is Leeds United's Dave Hockaday, who at the time of writing has not been sacked by the club. That's despite several media sources claiming owner Massimo Callino had wielded his well-used axe immediately after Leeds were comprehensively beaten by Watford, leaving the club just above the relegation zone after three losses in four.

At the top end of the table, Nottingham Forest, as they did at the same point last season, lead the way with 10 points from a possible 12, with Britt Assombalonga and Michail Antonio bagging seven goals between them already this season.

21-year-old Assombalonga, reportedly Forest's record signing at around £5m, is going from strength to strength, having scored 15 goals for Southend at League 2 level two seasons ago when on loan from Watford, then 23 for Peterborough in League One after he signed for Posh for £1.1m.

He is reportedly being tracked by the Democratic Republic of the Congo in terms of a potential international future, having been born in Kinshasa, although he moved to the UK at eight months old. Playing for England would almost certainly be Assombalonga's first choice, but his father may yet persuade him otherwise - Fedor was an international footballer himself when the country was under its former guise of Zaire.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_28095_-.html#.U_we5UvA5Rw

WhiteJC

Magath calls for Fulham improvement

Fulham boss Felix Magath admits "it's time to change something" as he bids to halt a four-game losing run in the Championship.

The Cottagers remain pointless and rock bottom of the table after four league defeats but Magath is convinced his side have the quality to climb the table. There has been speculation the German manager could be axed if Fulham's results don't improve quickly but Magath appears confident he will be given time to turn their fortunes around. Magath believes Fulham have been unlucky at times this season but he concedes they were simply not good enough in Saturday's 5-1 defeat at Derby and admits changes now have to be made. He told Get West London: "If you see the four defeats, in the first three games, we were in the match and we could have had a draw or a win. "But now we have four losses in a row. The result at Derby was very bad and it's time to change something but it was not a question of preparation. It's a young team in a difficult situation. "I'm convinced the quality of the players is good but we are not gelling as a team at the moment. After the losses we don't have enough confidence to show what we are able to do. I have to react to that. "I want to play for the first places in the league, not the last. I'm not satisfied with the situation and I apologise to the fans, they came here and supported us and we struggled in the last half hour. It was not a good evening for them." He added: "It's not been a good start to the season but we just have to regroup. It's a long old season and we know we're going to turn it around and get some wins. It's not the start we would have wanted though, obviously."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/magath-calls-for-fulham-improvement-1737649.html?

WhiteJC

Brentford Bliss while Fulham and Jimmy Hill falter

Rewind: Brentford 2-0 Fulham, Coca Cola Cup, August 25, 1992

Whites out: Simon Morgan (L) and Julian Hails
Fulham legend Simon Morgan tells a typical self-deprecating joke about the Whites and the weather-beaten Cottage during most of the 1990s.

"After Fulham were taken over by Mohamed al Fayed, opposition fans would sing: 'where were you when you were ****? I could have said: 'I was captain!' "

This was Fulham before the Harrods millionaire changed everything in May 1997.

Cottage keeper: Jimmy Hill
This was Fulham without the pot, you know the rest, as future manager Ian Branfoot, eloquently put it.

The season after this two-legged defeat to Bees, Fulham sank like a stone.

In fact, March the following campaign, the chairman took over from the manager at half time as Fulham trailed to Leyton Orient and carved out a 2-2 draw - but there again Jimmy Hill could never be described as a shrinking violet.

The larger-than-life player, PFA chairman, manager, TV pundit, one-time linesman and eventually man in the Fulham chair watched Brentford beat Fulham 2-0 at the Cottage seven days earlier in front of 5,067 paying customers, and was there with the manager he would dramatically uproot at Orient, Don Mackay, for the Griffin Park return, 22 years ago almost to the day.

Tackle: Jamie Bates (R) put his foot in against Spurs' Chris Armstrong in the next round
Brentford finished the job with another 2-0 win, 4,806 saw it, and the fizz evaporated at the first time of asking for the Whites' Coca-Cola  Cup campaign.

The buzzing and newly promoted Bees had two managers of the future in their line-up.

Acting Crystal Palace boss Keith Millen was in the centre of defence, and Chris Hughton was also a pillar of the back four.

They were to go out to Spurs the next round, but against Fulham, Gary Blissett scored in both games. Jamie Bates got the second at Griffin Park, and Bob Booker, the other at the Cottage.

Check the barnet! Chris Hughton
Brentford: Benstead, Bennett, Booker, Hughton, Jones, Millen, Ratcliffe, Smillie, Statham, subs: Gale, Godfrey

Fulham: Stannard, Morgan, Pike, Nebbeling, Thomas, Hails, Marshall, Farrell, (sub, Newson), Baah, Ferney, Onwere

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-bliss-fulham-jimmy-hill-7667721?

WhiteJC

Beesotted's Pre-Match Guide: Fulham

Beesotted contributor, Ian Westbrook, looks ahead to Tuesday night's eagerly-awaited west London derby clash with Fulham in the Capital One Cup.

HOW ARE THEY DOING?
In a word – disastrously.
Four games in their first second tier campaign for 14 seasons have resulted in four defeats, including Saturday's 5-1 hammering at Derby.
They opened the season with a 2-1 loss at Ipswich and followed that with 1-0 home defeats against both Millwall and Wolves.
The Cottagers also failed to win any of their final four games last season and their last victory was a 1-0 defeat of Norwich on April 12, which came after a 2-1 triumph at Aston Villa the previous week.
Fulham finished 19th in the Premier League last season – four points adrift of safety – to end a 13-year stay in the top flight. They finished in the bottom half in nine of those seasons but also finished in the top nine in three of the four campaigns between 2008/2009 and 2011/12, while they reached the Europa League final in 2010.

WHO'S THE GAFFER?

Felix Magath took charge at Craven Cottage in February, becoming Fulham's third manager of the season after Rene Meulensteen and before him Martin Jol.
It was a first job in England for the 61-year-old, who has a good managerial record in Germany.
He has three Bundesliga titles on his CV having led Bayern Munich to the German double of championship and cup in 2005 and 2006 and then won the league with Wolfsburg in 2009.
Magath also won three titles as a player with Hamburg between 1978 and 1983 – the first of which when he was in the same side as Kevin Keegan.
He was also capped 43 times by Germany in a nine-year international career in which he played in the 1982 and 1986 World Cup finals and 1980 European Championships.

THEIR LAST VISIT
Tonight is Fulham's first visit to Griffin Park since a Division Two (now League One game on Easter Saturday 1998.
The Bees were battling ultimately unsuccessfully against relegation while Fulham were trying to cement a place in the play-offs, which they eventually secured.
It was also a big day for Brentford manager Micky Adams, who was welcoming the side he had managed during the previous season, and one he had also played for, to Griffin Park.
A season's best attendance of 10,510 turned up but it was not Brentford's day.
Striker Robert Taylor was forced off by an early injury and the visitors secured a comfortable 2-0 win thanks to a goal in each half by Paul Moody.
The result dropped the Bees into the relegation zone, from which we failed to escape.
Fulham meanwhile at the end of the season took on Grimsby in the play-off semi-finals but failed to reach Wembley after losing 2-1 on aggregate.
Brentford: Dearden, Hogg (Canham 46) Watson, Cullip, Bates, Hutchings, Rapley, Cockerill (Bryan 46), Aspinall, Scott, Taylor (McGhee 14).
Att: 10,510.

MEMORABLE MATCH
APRIL 26, 1992 – BRENTFORD 4-0 FULHAM
Only one possible match could fit the category as the most memorable between the sides – and that is Brentford's 4-0 Sunday morning win in 1992 which left us within touching distance of promotion to the second tier of the Football League.
The scenario was this – as the weekend started the Bees, who had won four games in a row, were the slight outsiders for automatic promotion with Birmingham top on 78 points from 43 games and Stoke second on 77 from 44 – one point ahead of Brentford, who also only had two games remaining.
Although the Blues beat Shrewsbury 1-0 in their final home game, Stoke remarkably lost 1-0 at home to lowly Chester – meaning that a win for the Bees over Fulham would put us in the driving seat for the final weekend of the season.
Another season's best crowd of 12,071 packed into Griffin Park and witnessed a quite amazing first half in which Brentford scored four times without reply.
Dean Holdsworth opened the scoring with his 38th  goal of the season when he headed in Marcus Gayle's left-wing cross at the near post and within a minute Gayle had doubled the lead when he fired in Neil Smillie's right-wing centre at the far post.
Smillie's wing wizardry set up the third for Gary Blissett before Simon Ratcliffe, right on the goal-line, made it four from a Gayle free-kick on the stroke of half-time [pictured below].
Brentford: Benstead, Statham, Hughton, Millen, Evans, Ratcliffe, Gayle, Kruszynski, Holdsworth, Blissett, Smillie.
Att: 12,071.

BEES CONNECTIONS
Marcello Trotta, who has spent spells on loan here in each of the previous two seasons, is still on Fulham's books but has not been included in a first-team squad yet this campaign.
The Italy Under-21 international striker, known nationwide for "that" penalty, scored nine goals for us in his first campaign and 13 last season as he helped us to win promotion.
He has started this season as a member of Fulham's Under-21 squad and last Monday played in their first Premier League U21 match of the new season at Southampton, which they drew 1-1 with Marcello creating his side's goal.
As the game at Griffin Park is Fulham's first in this season's Capital One Cup, we don't know whether they will stick largely to their first team or bring in some Under-21 players, which could give Marcello the chance of another appearance on the hallowed GP turf.

DANGER MEN
At a reported £11m, Scotland international striker Ross McCormack could prove to be one of the signings of the summer once he gets settled into his new club.
McCormack was at Leeds for four years and scored 58 goals in all competitions – half of which came last season, making him top scorer in the Championship.
McCormack has been involved in all four of Fulham's games this season, one as a substitute, which is four more than record signing Kostas Mitroglou [pictured above] who, according to reports, may never play for the club again.
The Greece international was the Cottagers' record signing when he arrived in January but has only played a handful of matches and is still to find the net.
More or less the only first-team regular to still be at the club and to have kept his place so far this season is new club captain Scott Parker.
The England international midfielder joined the club in August 2013 and has played every minute of every match so far this campaign.

DID YOU KNOW?
Father and son Bill Dodgin senior and junior each had spells as manager at both Fulham and Brentford.
Bill senior was in charge at Craven Cottage from 1949 to 1953 before moving to Brentford until 1957.
Bill junior, who led us to promotion from the Fourth Division in 1977/78, had four years at the helm at Griffin Park from 1976 to 1980 after previously being in charge at Fulham from 1969 to 1972.

http://beesotted.co.uk/?p=12857

WhiteJC

Crunch Time - What Would You Do?

The transfer window closes in a matter of days, Fulham Football Club are in free-fall, we`re asking you what would you do?

Would you:-

a - Allow Felix Magath to dabble in the transfer market and trust him to bring in some much needed talent?

or

b - Would you call time on the Fulham career of somebody who has presided over a record of being in charge for 16 games, winning just 3, drawing just 3 and losing 10 including four on the bounce in the Championship, in order to give someone else a crack at the job?

Of course Felix is apologetic at having placed us in this plight, remarking after the latest catastrophe,

"I am the proper person for this job."

"Results can change the circumstances in which a coach is working."

"Of course we want to be top and not bottom."

"I`m not satisfied. I ask the forgiveness of the fans and tell them I want to guide Fulham through this division."

"Perhaps the good thing to come from a defeat of this size is that we know something has to change. Perhaps that will mean new faces."

Starting with one in the managerial chair many, just like me, are thinking!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=368245#ixzz3BTVGtv5S

WhiteJC

MANCHESTER UNITED AND CELTIC HURT PUNTERS WHILE MAGATH JUST HURTS YOUR EYES

The Weekend Hero

Nathan Dyer. By virtue of the big boys facing some tricky games this weekend and of course Burnley getting a bit of a spanking off Chelsea last Monday, Swansea were promoted to a few banker accums. They didn't dominate, but Dyer's 23rd minute goal was enough to grab the win and after the surprise win at Old Trafford, send Swansea hurtling into the Champions League places.

Yes, there's 94.7% of the season remaining, but it's still nice to be up there.

Top of the Flops

Manchester United and Arsenal were the main accum regulars who didn't oblige, but with tricky away trips to Sunderland and Everton respectively, caution should have been merited.

The biggest flops of the weekend were Celtic who failed to deliver at odds of 4/9 against Inverness Caledonian Thistle. They're more worried about their Champions League Playoff Round second leg against Maribor on Tuesday and they'll still win the league by about 40 points, but that doesn't help anyone who was banking on them to deliver over the weekend.

By the by, Caley keeper, Dean Brill has yet to concede a goal in four games this season. Great name and great performance.

It wasn't enough to spark a repeat of this quality headline, but it was a shock nonetheless.

One To Watch

Fulham. And not for good reasons. The Cottagers had suffered three defeats by one goal margins. That's not nice, but also not a complete disaster – a bit like someone giving you a Michael Buble CD as a present. Then came Saturday when Felix Magath's men got tonked 5-1 by Derby. They're now 9/1 to suffer another relegation after being 40/1 before the season started.

Up next, they're away to Brentford in the Capital One Cup. Yeah, no-one really cares about it, but being out of a cup competition this early won't help his cause. Then it's at home to Cardiff on Saturday, which neatly fits the 'most competitive league in Europe' stereotype. A crap start to the season could get a lot crapper faster than you can say 'HOW MUCH FOR ROSS McCORMACK??'

Obligatory Manager Under Pressure

Louis van Gaal is in to 33/1 to be Next Manager Sacked after being 66/1 a couple of weeks back. That's nothing major to be honest, but it's a sign of the troubled start he has made to his Old Trafford reign.

The results are crap, but possibly more worrying are the flat performances from his team who look as comfortable with his system and style as Ed Woodward does negotiating a transfer for a world class player. Alan Sugar has some wise advice for him:

Harry Redknapp is also one to keep an eye on with the Rs bottom of the table and Tony Pulis lurking around with his 'I Can Help You Not Get Relegated' voodoo. Despite constantly looking smug and giving off the impression he's in total control, Felix Magath will also be slightly nervous.

Get Him On The Plane!

Yeah he looks a bit like he'll try to sell you a Milky Bar, but Eric Dier's start to his Premier League career has gone like a dream.

Two games, two goals, being part of a defence that has earned two Spurs' clean sheets – some players had to go several years to be part of a Spurs defence that had two clean sheets – we're thinking the Gary Doherty era in particular.

England play Norway in a friendly on Tuesday week, before starting their Euro 2016 qualification cakewalk in Switzerland. Could Uncle Roy be making a phone call in the near future?

http://sportingpreview.com/football2014-15/2014325.php?

WhiteJC

Napoli Keen On Kostas Mitroglou But Won't Meet Fulham Asking Price

Napoli are interested in signing Kostas Mitroglou from Championship side Fulham this summer.

The Greek striker joined the Cottagers from Olympiacos in January this year but failed to prevent Fulham's relegation from the Premier League.

The 26-year-old failed to make any impact in Fulham's dismal season and made only three first team appearances for the Londoners.

Serie A side Napoli are keen to sign a striker this summer and have identified the Greek international as a potential target.

However, the Italians are not keen to pay the €12m that Fulham are demanding for Mitroglou, according to Tutto Mercato. 

Napoli remain in the hunt for Mitroglou and are ready to agree a fee with Fulham that is acceptable to both the parties.

Before joining the Cottagers in January, the 26-year-old scored 59 goals in 143 appearances for Olympiacos. He has also earned 35 international caps for Greece and has eight internationals goals to his name.

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/08/25/napoli-keen-on-kostas-mitroglou-but-wont-meet-fulham-asking-price/156600/#IkYoPGEqkDw65Ml8.99

WhiteJC

Brentford v Fulham

CAPITAL ONE CUP SECOND ROUND
Venue: Griffin Park Date: Tuesday, 26 August
Coverage: Text commentary online, with highlights on The League Cup Show on Wednesday 27 August at 23:05 BST (BBC1 and BBC1 Scotland) or 23:35 (BBC 1 Wales) or on Thursday 28 August at 00:05 BST (BBC1 Northern Ireland)

TEAM NEWS

Out-of-form Fulham may hand a debut to Argentine defender Tiago Casasola, who has arrived from Boca Juniors.
Adam Taggart (back) is absent, and Hugo Rodallega may start after boss Felix Magath said he plans to make changes after a fourth straight league loss.
Brentford defender Tony Craig is suspended following his weekend dismissal against Birmingham.
Harlee Dean may return, yet Scott Hogan (ankle), Nico Yennaris (back) and Sam Saunders (knee) are likely absentees.
MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Fulham have won 18 of the matches between the sides to Brentford's 15, with the sides drawing 13.
The Cottagers are unbeaten in the previous four meetings.
Brentford

Brentford overcame Dagenham & Redbridge on penalties in round one, after drawing 6-6. This match equalled the League Cup record for goals in a game (joint with Reading 5-7 Arsenal in October 2012).
Stuart Dallas grabbed two goals in that match, the first time he had netted twice in a game for Brentford.
Fulham

Fulham are unbeaten in four in all competitions against their London neighbours (W2 D2), but have not faced the Bees since April 1998.
The Cottagers have been knocked out by Brentford in their two previous League Cup encounters, both in round one (1988 and 1992).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28847764

WhiteJC

HARLEE WELL AWARE OF IMPORTANCE OF CUP TIE

Harlee Dean and David Button look ahead to Brentford's Capital One Cup tie against Fulham

Harlee Dean said Brentford's players were in no doubt how important the Capital One Cup tie against Fulham was.

The Bees will face their neighbours in the Second Round tie tomorrow, Tuesday August 26, at Griffin Park.

The match will be the first between the teams – whose grounds are around 5km apart – since 1998.

The Bees will also face Fulham in the Sky Bet Championship this season, at Griffin Park in November and at Craven Cottage in April, in eagerly anticipated clashes.

Harlee, speaking after Brentford drew with Birmingham City on Saturday, said he had spoken to Bees fans about facing Fulham and knew what it meant.

He compared it to a derby between West Ham United and Millwall and said the players knew there was a chance to cement their place in Brentford folklore.

"I know what it means," said the defender, speaking to Bees Player.
"I have spoken to supporters about the game against Fulham.
"I know you can become a cult hero with actions in these games.
"I grew up supporting West Ham and I knew what it was like playing Millwall.
"This will be similar.
"All the boys will treat it like a Cup Final I know I will.
"It will be a good game and hopefully a great atmosphere."
David Button, also speaking after the Birmingham game, added: "It is a big one for the fans.
"We are gearing towards Tuesday and everyone will be up for it for sure."

Read more at http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/harlee-and-david-fulham-quotes-25.08.14-1864310.aspx#RKlWdeWLbUCjYLhl.99

WhiteJC

Why desperate Fulham have no stability and no Plan B

In recent years Fulham have found stability something very difficult to come by – not only in the manager's ejectors seat, but on the pitch too, and Felix Magath has done nothing but further fan the flames of his own destruction.

Kicking the season off at Ipswich we lined up with a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 formation, and although looked good in parts, looked vulnerable to a counter-attack as the job of patrolling the wings had been gifted to our right back Tim Hoogland and left back Konstantinos Stafylidis.

This emphasis on attacking wing backs meant that when we went forward, Cameron Burgess – a natural centre-back playing out of position in midfield – was required to fit in between an extremely narrow back three that consisted of himself, Shaun Hutchinson and Nikolay Bodurov.

So after the overcrowded central midfield failed to deal with a bouncing ball, Ipswich took two passes to knock the ball out wide right with a sudden turn of pace and beat the flat footed, out of position, Bodurov to score, as Stafylidis attempted in vain to sprint back into his disregarded left-back position.

The second goal was much the same. After Ipswich played the ball out left, Fulham found themselves two on two and seriously over-stretched. What followed was some wing play that required centre back Shaun Hutchinson to abandon his post and cover Tim Hoogland's right-back position, before the ball was played into the empty box and tucked away.

Against Millwall we lined up with a new look 4-4-3 formation. In parts, we controlled possession, but Millwall were still able to score against the run a play and, more worryingly, in exactly the same manner as Ipswich.

Latching onto a pass played down the left flank, Ricardo Fuller forced both Burgess – now playing centre back – and, for some reason, Bodurov out-wide to close him down in place of the missing Hoogland.

In failing to block the cross, Fulham's defence, without centre-backs, was extremely stretched when the ball made its way into the area, and Millwall took the lead.

Against Wolves it was as if we picked up from where we finished against Millwall, apart from the fact we lined up 4-4-2. Slow in our attacking play we passed everywhere but forward and conceded yet another sloppy goal.

And finally against Derby, where fast attacking play saw us capitulate entirely. Goals four and five in particular show as clear as daylight the problems with the team.

Unnecessarily passing the ball to each other on the left wing, Sean Kavanagh and Burgess lose possession and find themselves both completely out of position as Derby break to score against a Fulham team in no man's land.

And for the fifth, we lose the ball from the kick-off and see one pass carve our backline into pieces, as Bodurov is once again required to cover the runner out left in place of Hoogland, who again sprints in vain to get back into his position.

Our recent defending play has been entirely woeful, and our attacking play is all out of creative ideas, and dare I say it, confidence. If we are to get out of this rut then we need new tactics and a Plan B for when things go wrong, otherwise I'm afraid we won't.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/25/why-desperate-fulham-have-no-stability-and-no-plan-b-4844271/?

WhiteJC

Felix 'the dictator' Magath has been brutal in rebuilding Fulham – and results this season scream it's not working

Magath has relied on youngsters this season with senior players beings shut out - but four defeats in four suggest it might not be the way forward

The last time Fulham went to Griffin Park to face Brentford more than 16 years ago both sides were in what is now League One and Peter Beardsley was playing for the away team. On Tuesday night they return for a Capital One Cup second-round tie that might have more hanging on it than is usually the case at this stage of the competition.

Brentford, newly promoted to the Championship from League One, are five points better off than Fulham, newly relegated from the Premier League and bottom after four straight defeats. There is something about a game against a neighbour that has lived in one's shadow for years to remind a team in crisis just how far they have fallen, and perhaps how much further they have to go.

The west London hierarchy is a disjointed affair. Chelsea tend to look elsewhere for their most serious rivals and choose to regard Fulham and Queen's Park Rangers as mere ticks on the hide of their European super-club. What everyone has been able to agree on, however, is that Brentford have long been bottom of the pile.

That might – for the short term at least – be about to change if Fulham conspire to play as poorly as they have done in their opening four defeats of the Championship season, culminating in Saturday's 5-1 defeat to Derby County.

It has been one hell of a fall for Fulham in the space of little more than a year since Shahid Khan, the American car parts billionaire, bought the club from Mohamed al-Fayed. They have sacked two managers and ended up with Felix Magath, the man who earned the nickname "Saddam" at one of his former clubs on the strength of the unyielding way in which he imposed his regime.

When Lewis Holtby found out that Magath, formerly his coach at Schalke, was coming into the club in mid-February, the German midfielder immediately asked to return to Tottenham. His fears were well-founded: against Stoke City last season, Magath substituted him after 34 minutes.

At Frankfurt they called Magath "the last dictator in Europe". At Wolfsburg he took a team from the brink of relegation and won the Bundesliga two years later. The question for Fulham is how long they continue believing in the dictator as he imposes his will, without results.

Relegation from the Premier League was one thing, but how long they stick with Magath could define Fulham's fortunes for years to come. The longer it goes on, the more the feeling is that Magath is not the answer to Fulham's problems – rather he is becoming the chief cause.

Fulham could hardly say they were not warned that Magath's approach to managing is rather like that of the post-war planners who ruined so much of what remained of Britain's cities. Magath seems to believe that what is already there must be demolished and rebuilt in his own image. The process is brutal. Once embarked upon it makes changing course even more momentous.

It will be that decision which Khan will face again if Fulham lose to Brentford. Magath insists on reporting to the American directly and speaks to him every day, bypassing the club's chief executive, Alistair Mackintosh. It will be Khan's decision, and Khan's alone, to sack Magath if that is what it comes to. The mood at the club is that Khan is not at that point yet.

Magath has made some extraordinary decisions this season already, including a massive clear-out of senior players that has left him with a collection of new arrivals and academy boys who so far lack the nous to navigate the Championship's gruelling 46-game marathon.

A decent pre-season with a group of young players convinced him that he could put them centre stage. Given that so few managers, especially those from overseas, have trusted academy-produced players, he deserves some credit for that. The problem is that the likes of Patrick Roberts, Cauley Woodrow, Sean Kavanagh and Jesse Joronen have been thrust into a side with, Scott Parker aside, too few experienced heads.

For all the anticipation that Fulham's current generation of academy boys will yield some first-team players, and perhaps, in Roberts' case, a good England international, the way a young player is introduced to first-team football is as important as giving him the chance in the first place. They need the best possible chance to thrive, and the current Fulham side does not give them that.

Given his remarks after the defeat to Derby, it seems that Magath is now changing course, and may pick a more experienced team tonight.

Certainly, the list of those whom Magath has ignored this season is even more puzzling, including the club's record signing from January, Kostas Mitroglu. Alongside him, Bryan Ruiz, Alex Kacaniklic, Dan Burn and Fernando Amorebieta have not figured either. Ryan Tunnicliffe, signed along with Larnell Cole from Manchester United by Rene Meulensteen, has returned from loan to be sent back to the Under-21s.

The departures have been eye-watering, with around 11 senior players, some out of contract, leaving in the summer, including Brede Hangeland, Steven Sidwell, Kieran Richardson, Pajtim Kasami and David Stockdale. The Dutch international goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg was loaned out. The club made around 50 redundancies post-relegation to save money although the mood is that the parachute payments make their finances sustainable for now.

Some of the signings have been just as confusing – and not just the size of the £11m fee paid to Leeds United for Ross McCormack. One wonders what it was about Mark Fotheringham's recent CV that persuaded Magath to sign him. At 30 years old the Scot's most recent former cubs – Notts County, Ross County, Dundee, Livingston – are way below the required standard for the Championship.

Barrie Simmonds, the club's well-regarded chief scout, has decamped to Norwich City, having decided he did not wish to work with Magath. As for the years of work that have gone into the academy by Huw Jennings and Malcolm Elias, whose Under-18s reached the FA Youth Cup final last season, it has hardly been a gentle integration for those young players into first-team football.

The feeling at the club, nevertheless, is that those young players are at least loyal to their new manager. It is not a response he has inspired in all his players. The stories about training under Magath are alarming, including three sessions a day in pre-season. His mantra wherever he has managed has been around fitness, or his players' perceived lack of it. Either way, the start to the season has been disastrous, by any reckoning.

Hangeland's parting shot to Magath that "his main tool is to try to mentally and physically batter his players" pointed to trouble before the season had begun. Hangeland was informed by email that a clause had been triggered to end his contract. Since he left, Fulham have let in nine goals in five games, including a fifth to Derby on Saturday immediately after they conceded possession from the kick-off following the fourth goal.

Little more than four years ago, under Roy Hodgson, Fulham's finest hour came when they contested the Europa League final in Hamburg. At the time Brentford had just finished ninth in League One in their first season since promotion. Magath was Schalke coach. When Fulham appointed him in February he had been out of work for 18 months and was available. The club regarded that as a great stroke of luck at the time. Six months on, they might realise now why it was the case.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/felix-the-dictator-magath-has-been-brutal-in--rebuilding-fulham--and-results-this-season-scream-its-not-working-9690016.html

WhiteJC

U21s beaten by Fulham

New Under-21s acquisition Brendan Galloway scored his first goal in Everton colours but it ended up being mere consolation as David Unsworth's side lost 2-1 at Fulham.
Goals by Marcelo Trotta and Tu-Na Bangna put the Cottagers' second-string into a 2-0 lead and while Galloway pulled one back with a second-half header and George Green hit the post late, the Blues couldn't salvage a draw.

Everton: Griffiths, Jones, Kenny, Ledson, Pennington, Galloway, Byrne, Williams, Long, Dowell, Hope
Subs: McLaughlin, Walsh, Green, C.Duffus, Stanek 

http://toffeeweb.com/season/14-15/news/28210.html

WhiteJC

John Arne Riise: 'Felix Magath is ruining Fulham'

Former Fulham defender John Arne Riise has spoken out against the Felix Magath regime and accused him of 'flushing the club's philosophy down the toilet.'

Magath took charge of the Cottagers last season, but could not prevent them from being relegated and has now overseen four straight Championship defeats.

Riise, who left the London outfit after three years earlier this summer, has denounced the German's "ancient" coaching methods and criticised his dictatorial and impersonal treatment of his players by highlighting an incident as recent as this weekend, following the 5-1 loss to Derby County.

"With his arrival, they've flushed everything that the club stands for down the toilet," Riise told Norwegian TV. "His methods are ancient. I really like Fulham. It's a real family club with a great stadium, but with Magath everything gets flushed down the toilet.

"I spoke to a few players after the Derby match. Once they returned to London, Magath ordered a team meeting at 10.30pm. Then, the next morning, players were ordered to run for one hour, then another training session at 2.30pm. It's not the way to get the boys going.

"And [his] training methods are terrible. All football sessions are 11 vs. 11, working on tactics. Magath is silent for 40 minutes. It is a shame, but I fear for Fulham. Responsibility lies with Magath and the guys upstairs. They knew exactly what they were getting with this guy."

Fulham have reportedly identified former Tottenham Hotspur player and manager Tim Sherwood as a possible successor to Magath if they decide that a change is required in the coming weeks.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/riise-magath-is-ruining-fulham_173177.html

WhiteJC

Oscar Garcia puts Fulham and Leeds on alert as he decides to quit Maccabi Tel Aviv
Former Brighton boss wants to leave conflict zone
Oscar Garcia is in his second spell at Israeli club after leaving in 2013
Championship clubs want Spaniard to rescue their stuttering seasons

Oscar Garcia set to leave his role as manager of Maccabi Tel Aviv on Tuesday due to the ongoing conflicts in the area.

The former Brighton manager is back at the Israeli club for the second time, after resigning in 2013 and moving to England.

However, with Israel locked in continuing conflict with Hamas in Gaza, and rockets being fired at Tel Aviv, Garcia has decided to leave the region.

Leaving again: Garcia has only recently returned for a second spell at the Israeli club

Impressive: Garcia made a good impression during his time in England and could return to the Championship

He is under consideration at Leeds and Fulham as they consider their options in the face of recent results.

Garcia had a succesful one-year spell in Tel Aviv two seasons ago, culminating in winning the Israeli Championship in 2013.

But results on his return have been less good, with the club going out of the Champions League qualifiers to Maribor, and needed to overturn a two-goal deficit against Greek side Asteras Tripoli on Thursday to reach the Europa League group stage.

Tough starts: Felix Magath (left) and David Hockaday (right) are both under threat at their clubs

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2734342/Oscar-Garcia-puts-Fulham-Leeds-alert-decides-quit-Maccabi-Tel-Aviv.html#ixzz3BTYunEtG
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Brentford star: Everyone is aware of the rivalry with Fulham

Brentford goalkeeper David Button is aware of the rivalry between the Bees and Fulham and is determined to do the club's supporters proud.

The two sides meet for the first time in a competitive game in 16 years and the Brentford squad are all aware of what this encounter means to the supporters.

"Everyone is well aware of the Fulham rivalry and what it means to the fans," Button said.

"All our attention will be on Tuesday night now and hopefully get a positive outcome.

"I've played in a few derbies on loan and stuff. Being at my club and it meaning so much to everyone as it does it's one I'm looking forward to.

"I'm not sure who's going to play but I'd love to be involved."

He added: "Hopefully the lads that play can produce a good performance and make the fans proud of us."

Brentford are developing a reputation as an attractive team but they have also shown a resolve that was seldom needed last season as the Bees won promotion to the Championship.

The west Londoners have fallen behind in each league game they have played but battled back in three of the four matches – drawing twice and winning one.

"We're not just a pretty team," Button said. "We've got great characters in the dressing room.

"It's not a good thing going a goal down because once we get a goal ahead, with our fitness, we get better throughout games. The next thing is to get out in front."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/brentford/brentford_star_everyone_is_aware_of_the_rivalry_with_fulham_1_3744284