watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MLS restructure

Started by valdeingruo, August 28, 2014, 02:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valdeingruo

Do you think the way the league is being run will change, there is going to be what? 24? teams by 2017. Will relegation be added or will they add a "Midwest" Conference?  Three New York clubs is also nuts as of right now, but in a hundred years or so theyll be arguing that "they were here first"
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

love4ffc

The league has to change.  My guess is there will become a Midwest conf.  After all that is the way of American sports.  I personally would love to see the US soccer world follow the way of Europe and install a three of four tear league with relegation.  I'd also like to see a cup compitition to include all of those levels, like the FA.  This would make the game in the US more interesting and help to develop both fan bases and players IMHO. 

I'd also like to see the US develop a U21 league through the various US clubs.  This would help to develop our home grown players for the future.  Perhaps having a U21 league would get our German National Coach to stop telling players to go outside the US to get the best development. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

valdeingruo

That and I would like the more specific colleges like Akron etc to have an affiliated team. Though that would be very difficult. That way the player gets the education but would play for their affiliated team ie Akron affiliates with the Crew or the Dutch Lions and goes from there.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

btings

I don't think relegation is likely for a long time, if ever.  The first rule of American sports is that the leagues don't do things that would reduce the value of the franchises.

I think the question of how college integrates with player development is really interesting.  Affiliations with pro clubs seems like the best bet, although it is not clear how the NCAA would allow that. (My solution: abolish the NCAA.)

I think multiple NASL and USL Pro teams get absorbed into the league (it's possible that the whole NASL may get merged in).  On a related note, I'd love to see the Sacramento Republic get a serious look for MLS -- they're bringing in unbelievable crowds (and they're arguably a better team than the Earthquakes right now).

YankeeJim

There has to be a way for lower levels to have a revenue stream. Sacramento draws a crowd but the others, not so much. The MLS has a way of poaching markets that work and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't jump on Sacramento for 2017 just as they did Seattle & in the past. I suppose the way to start would be for each MLS team to have sort of a taxi squad and have the teams travel with their second tier & play a double header. It would allow for additional bodies getting top flight training.

What I would like to see is MLS put a team I could stomach in LA. I have the prima donnas and the racists. Not much of a choice.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

love4ffc

Soccer in the US is growing.  It's both good and bad.  One the one hand I love that more people are starting to support the MLS and National team.  On the other had I recently went to a youth tournament that included some extremely high level U21 play.  Was very disappointed in the crowd.  Very ugly and had no clue about what they were watching.  I ended up leaving after the first half as I could not stomach some of the redneck comments being spewed towards both players and refs. 

love4ffc

Just heard on the tv that Klingsmen wants MLS to respect the international dates and extend their season.  He would like to see them start in earlier and go later.  Doesn't sound like MLS is interested.