watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (28/08/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 27, 2014, 06:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Brentford: Nevermind McCormack, Fulham feared our attacking threat says Bees defender

Brentford defender Harlee Dean reckons the respect former Premier League outfit Fulham gave his side on Tuesday is a sign the Bees are in the Championship to stay.

The Cottagers grabbed a 1-0 Capital One Cup triumph over their west London rivals at Griffin Park thanks to a second half strike from £11million striker Ross McCormack.

Boss Mark Warburton's men threatened but their best moments came through Spaniard Jota, who forced a sharp save from Fulham keeper Marcus Bettinelli and hit the post at the end of the first half.

And Dean reckoned Brentford's lack of clear cut chances was largely because Felix Magath's side came to frustrate them.

"Fulham came here and sat behind the ball and tried to play us on the counter," he said.

"That is testament to how good we are at home and our attacking style of football.

"Teams are going to come here and try and break at us. We have to be clever and break through them and make sure we are a bit more compact on the counter attack.

"It is a learning curve. It is a cup game. Unfortunately we couldn't get the win, but we gave a good account of ourselves."

http://www.kingstonguardian.co.uk/sport/11433732._/?

WhiteJC

Classy David offers Fulham creativity
by DAN on AUGUST 27, 2014

For many years, Fulham have been crying out for a creative midfielder. Danny Murphy was the last man in a white shirt able to run a game with sensible passing and unlock tightly packed defences and, whilst the powers that be should have been searching for his replacement whilst the former captain was still at the club, those qualities have been sorely missed since his departure. The hunt, however, should now be over. A confident Chris David oozes class and should be allowed the opportunity to make that position his own.

The young Dutchman was brought in amid great fanfare by Martin Jol, looked promising during last summer's pre-season tour of Costa Rica and promptly disappeared. His re-emergence as a substitute against Crystal Palace in the last game of a truly forgettable campaign was encouraging – not just for the stunning goal that earned a point at the death – but for the purposeful nature of his play. Forward passes, adventurous running and a desire to get on the ball and make things happen. Having been in the team for the opening game at Ipswich and done little wrong – bar being on the wrong end of a few abrasive challenges – he had to wait until last night's trip to Brentford in the League Cup for another opportunity.

Although he looked much more at home at the point of a fluid midfield diamond, David's influence wasn't restricted by starting out the right in a more traditional midfield four. Most of Fulham's best moments came with him at the heart of them in the first half, whether it was a check in to bend a shot at goal on his stronger left foot or the intelligent, quick passing that opened up the Brentford defence before Cauley Woodrow's spooned Kay Voser's low cross high into the Ealing Road. Once switched into a more advanced central position, David found more time on the ball and utilised it effectively: linking the play cleverly with Ross McCormack and dropping into dangerous positions behind the strikers.

Felix Magath has tried many permutations already as he seeks a successful formula for the Championship but his best midfield must have David in it. He's ambitious even from a wider position, although there's a compelling argument for deploying David centrally, either as the advanced midfielder or as a deep-lying player next to Scott Parker, to allow Fulham to dictate play and be smarter in possession. His influence only increased the longer the game went on, sliding passes down the side of a tiring Brentford defence, and the quality of those through balls would prove decisive.

Mark Warburton had selected Spanish midfielder Marcos Tébar as a shield for the back four, but David easily escaped his attentions to settle the contest. Moving into space thirty yards from goal he cleverly worked a couple of quick one-twos with Ross McCormack – the second pass a thing of simple beauty – and the Scottish striker made his accomplished finish from an acute angle appear ridiculously easy. Another effortless pass sent Woodrow clear and the striker dragged his shot across goal and fractionally wide of the far post.

David's early experience of the Championship – he was roughed up against Millwall too, collecting a nasty clout in the mouth in injury team – might just work in Fulham's favour. It will toughen him up, making him a stronger presence on the field, hopefully without curbing any of his ambition on the ball. Fulham have sorely missed the quality of forward passes he provided at Griffin Park last night; it's the sort of service an intelligent striker like McCormack will thrive upon. Ironically, with Nikolay Bodurov finishing the contest as a makeshift holding midfielder after Parker and Mark Fotheringham had gone off injury, perhaps it is a long-term answer as a defensive midfielder that should be occupying Magath's mind now.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/08/classy-david-offers-fulham-creativity/?

WhiteJC

Capital One Cup: Fulham boss Felix Magath happy with win over Brentford

Relieved Fulham boss Felix Magath believes the 1-0 Capital One Cup win at Brentford will help his struggling side turn the corner in the Championship.

The under-fire Cottagers chief had double reason to be relieved after seeing £11million striker Ross McCormack score the only goal of the game in a hard-fought affair at west London rivals Brentford.

"I am very pleased for him because that goal will give him confidence and the win will give us confidence for the future," he said.

"We dominated parts of the game and it was a very good performance which will give us confidence for the future. I am happy with the result, our first win of the season, and it was very important for us."

But his joy was tempered by the loss of Scott Parker, who went to hospital for a scan on a hip injury which saw him substituted at the break.

Magath revealed he expected to dip into the transfer market in the coming days and shrugged off suggestions he did not have the backing of the club's owner after a dreaded vote of confidence before the banana skin tie.

McCormack settled the tie on 69 minutes, latching on to Chris David's defence-splitting through ball to slide a low shot into the far corner and settle the derby.

Brentford boss Mark Warburton said his players were disappointed at the early cup exit, but stressed he would rather have the five Championship points amassed so far than a pass into the next round.

"We got into some very good areas and had good possession but didn't test the keeper enough in the second half. We didn't look after the ball well enough at times and gave it away cheaply, but overall there were plenty of positives," he said.

"A lot of players got minutes on the pitch, which is very important because I can't talk about the strength of the squad without using it."

Warburton was also quick to scotch rumours that Brentford had let last season's League One Player of the Year Adam Forshaw sign for Wigan on the cheap.

He said: "As far as I'm aware he's gone, but anyone who thinks we've let him go for £2m or £3m is living on a different planet. The owner is happy with the deal which tells you a lot."

Warburton's night might have gone better but he saw his side repeatedly concede possession to their near rivals.

Tim Hoogland twice went close for Fulham with long range efforts for the visitors before the break as the game ebbed from end to end.

Fulham's best chance fell to Cauley Woodrow on the half hour but the teenager skied Kay Voser's pinpoint right wing cross from close range.

Brentford's Spanish import Jota went closest for the hosts in the opening stages, stinging Marcus Bettinelli's fingertips with a rising angled drive.

McCormack thought he had broken the deadlock on the hour when he skipped away from the Bees flat back four and fired home, only to see the effort ruled out for offside.

But his goal proved decisive and Magath said: "Without results I cannot feel relaxed and without goals we don't have confidence, so it is a good night."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/325020/reaction?

WhiteJC

The Bizarre And Curious Case Of Fulham Striker Kostas Mitroglou

With Fulham starting life in the Championship slowly, following their relegation from the English Premier League, it is hard to see the finger pointing and recriminations at the London club slowing down anytime soon.

At the heart of the inquisition you will find the name of Greece striker Kostas Mitroglou, who signed from Olympiacos in January for a fee of £12 million and became Fulham's most expensive ever player.

Mitroglou arrived in England in outstanding form for both club and country, famously becoming the first Greek player to score a hat-trick in the UEFA Champions League, as Olympiacos beat Anderlecht 3-0 on their way to the knockout stages.

His performance that day announced the arrival of a potential future star of European football and his subsequent transfer to Fulham was heralded as a turning point in the club's difficult season, as well as his own career.

Yet the striker would go on to make just three league appearances as he battled with injury and fitness concerns. The man in charge when he arrived at Fulham – Rene Meulensteen – was then sacked and replaced by Felix Magath.

Under the German, Mitroglou's situation became increasingly unclear. According to Magath the former Olympiacos man was at various points either genuinely injured or too unfit to even make the substitute's bench – the player's exact situation was never clarified.
Initially the Fulham manager defended Mitroglou's lack of involvement by describing him as a long-term investment before contradicting himself in August, saying it was "totally the wrong decision" to sign the player in January.

It is clear that Magath's comments saw him distancing himself from the transfer, and in turn the Greece striker has recently come out saying he has no respect for his club boss.

The situation worsened in the build-up to the 2014 World Cup, where Mitroglou was expected to lead the Greek attack, but he struggled to regain fitness and was only cleared to travel to Brazil on the eve of the tournament.

It still remains unclear as to who is to blame for the disastrous results of Mitroglou's move to Fulham. Whilst the player initially seemed to lack the physical conditioning for the rigors of the English Premier League, why was it that he was able to recover so quickly post-season and make three appearances for his country at the World Cup?

Mitroglou certainly wasn't helped by the timing of his move and the sacking of Meulensteen soon after the transfer – Magath was Fulham's third manager within the same season. Both of those decisions by the club smacked of desperation and the environment was not a healthy one for the player.

And while Greece adapted to Mitroglou's lack of form and fitness at the World Cup as they escaped from their group, Fulham are still struggling to deal with an awkward situation.

Mitroglou remains on the books of the club despite being out of favour with Magath and it appears his reported £40,000-a-week wages are a luxury that cannot be afforded in the Championship.

The problem for Fulham is that no suitor has been found for the 26-year-old, despite interest from clubs in Italy, Turkey, Spain and France.

A solution has been difficult to come by, with the player himself seemingly unwilling to move to Turkey, despite at least one club offering to take the striker off Fulham's hands permanently. That is a solution that the English side clearly prefers, with loan offers from the likes of St. Etienne and even Olympiacos rejected.

Adding to the complexity of the situation is the mystery surrounding Mitroglou's fitness. The types of clubs that can afford his wages won't be willing to risk money on a player who fits the 'damaged goods' cliché.

The current situation does nothing for player, club or country, and Mitroglou now finds himself in a sort of transfer No Man's Land.

His talent as a footballer remains undoubted, however, and there were signs that the player was regaining sharpness as he made a couple of cameo appearances for Greece at the World Cup.

And whilst that won't be enough to convince clubs to meet Fulham's asking price, perhaps the best way forward would be for the Cottagers to help rehabilitate the player and turn him into the long-term investment that Magath once spoke about.

Read more at http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/08/27/the-bizarre-and-curious-case-of-fulham-striker-kostas-mitroglou/#6wgxCXjUxTDQpQgL.99

WhiteJC

Bees 0-1 Fulham

A chance for Brentford to inflict even more misery on their opponents, and secure a morale boosting cup win, was missed on Tuesday night.

Brentford entertained a struggling Fulham side at Griffin Park on Tuesday night but some of the pressure on Fulham boss Felix Magath was lifted as they advanced with a 1-0 win.

The sides went into the half time break locked at nil-nil.

Up until the midway point of the second half the game remained deadlocked, but just after arguably Brentford's best chance Chris David's pass gave Fulham's £11m summer signing Ross McCormack (68) the chance and he took this.

Fulham remain bottom of the championship table, and below us, but they'll be in the league cup third round draw and not us with the Scottish international's goal enough to secure them a one-nil win.

Read more: http://www.brentford.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchrep.asp?a=368458#ixzz3BcGmv1OU

WhiteJC

The Craven Corner: Is the win at Brentford the turning point for Fulham and Magath?

Nick Proschwitz looks to get past Fulham's Dan Burn. (Photo by Charlie Crowhurst/Getty Images)

Even I can't believe I'm saying this, but well done Felix Magath. What a change 24 hours can make. We finally saw the first decent starting eleven last night against Brentford, and we get our first win of this campaign. No one played out of position - Praise the Lord!

I highlighted Marcus Bettinelli to be a key player in my season preview and he was given his debut last night – a much more assured and calm goalkeeper than Jesse Joronen and in my opinion should be our number one despite the arrival of Gabor Kiraly.

A clean sheet was aided by the partnership I've waited to see for a while of Dan Burn and Shaun Hutchinson, both English and both have a towering presence.

Dan Burn's performance last night proved why he was so highly rated in last year's loan spells, the six foot seven defender was dominant last night and Felix Magath must have realised that last night was the best back four we've got on the books.

In attack we saw a return of Chris David and he provided the creative outlet for most of our attacks. Another player who should be starting every week, a player who can unlock defenders and is not afraid to try something out of the blue.

Ross McCormack scored the vital goal for Fulham last night, a confident boosting goal for the Scot and his tally is up and running. Credit to the fans last night, the 'He Cost More Than Your Ground' chant did make my evening.

The only downside of last night was that we saw injuries to Scott Parker & Mark Fotheringham. Scott may not be the most creative or glamorous player, but to our setup he is vital. He's our captain and a natural leader and if his injury is serious, then we will need to buy someone fast or promote Ryan Tunnicliffe back to the starting XI.

Ryan Tunnicliffe is a player with a bright future and already has Championship experience. If you didn't get the see the U21's game this week, then I'm sure many people will tell you how well Ryan played, his dominant midfield display is something that could compliment Scott Parker when he is fit or fill the void Scott's injury will create.

The main thing from the Brentford victory is that Felix Magath has to keep this eleven for our next fixture at the weekend. This is the best team we have (maybe swap Williams for Patrick Roberts) and we need this XI to gel and learn to play together.

It had a good balance throughout the team and it's a healthy mix of experience and youth. Dan Burn and Shaun Hutchinson now need to be shown faith by Felix and to be told they are the starting pairing because last night both were outstanding.

As I said in my last article, last night's fixture was make or break for Felix Magath and potentially he could start to turn it round if he has realised that last nights starting 11 was the way forward for the club. If we have a brand new starting eleven at the weekend, then we would have taken one step forward and a hundred steps back.

Fingers crossed for some stability and consistency.

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/the_craven_corner_is_the_win_at_brentford_the_turning_point_for_fulham_and_magath_1_3746419

WhiteJC

Magath refuses to give Burn assurances and hits back at Riise

Felix Magath was pleased with the impact Dan Burn made against Brentford but refused to confirm whether he'd be in the side to face Cardiff on Saturday.

The six foot seven centre back made his first appearance of the season and the Whites' defence looked much better for his presence.

When asked whether Burn had done enough to force his way into the team for Saturday, Magath replied: "At the moment I don't think about Saturday. He did very well tonight and we were controlling most of the game so I'm very happy with him."

Magath also hit back at John Arne Riise who had criticised the manager's methods after leaving the club.

"I don't know why you always ask me," the German added. "I came in – it was February and before I came in Fulham was, with Riise, on the bottom of the table so why do you ask me about my training?

"Ask why the players don't play well before because I came in because they were on the bottom of the league."

Magath believes that his Fulham side will find form and has seen some encouraging signs over the past few games.

He added: "I was not unhappy with the performance we had in the games before, even in Derby because after one hour we equaliser so I think we are on the right way but you need a bit of luck, a good result and then things go easier so we have to work a lot for sure it is not unusual.

"You can look at Liverpool [in Brendan Rodgers' first season. For me, I have done at Wolfsburg the same job.

"I built up a new team and in the first half, we were at the bottom and in the second half we developed and we finished in fifth.

"You have a tough beginning if you are changing so much as I did here at Fulham.

"I have to live with it but I know it is difficult and the owner knows it also. We go on working and keep on working and this result will help us."

There had been suggestions that Magath would have been sacked if he had lost his job but he insisted that he was safe and had spoken to owner Shahid Khan ahead of the game.

"I had a telephone call with him so we talk about the situation and how we go on," he explained.

"I know that he supported me so I have no worries about some news because it's always there are people using you to give you information which is not true.

"Don't worry about such things – who comes in and who goes out. I have a very good relationship with the owner and it's clear we go on."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/brentford/magath_refuses_to_give_burn_assurances_and_hits_back_at_riise_1_3746420

WhiteJC

Ross: For The Fans

Match winner Ross McCormack cut a delighted figure after helping Fulham to a first victory of the season on Tuesday evening.

The summer signing scored the game's only goal midway through the second half to earn his side the bragging rights over local rivals Brentford in the Capital One Cup, and he was relieved to see the Whites stop the rot after four consecutive defeats.

He stated afterwards: "It's good to get a goal but the most important thing for the squad, for the Manager, for the fans especially, was to get the first win of the season because it's not been good enough really.

"In every game I think we've played okay without creating any chances. On Tuesday we created a few and could have had a few more [goals] in the second half.

"I had one ruled offside which I'm not so sure about, Cauley [Woodrow] had a chance or two, so it was good to be playing with that freedom and creating chances and winning the game.

"It's a good bit of belief now because, like I said, we'd played well without creating any chances in games so that's why we were getting beat.

"But we did okay on Tuesday," he continued. "We probably didn't play as well as we have done in some of the other games in terms of possession of the ball, but we created more chances, so that's nice. It's just a good feeling and I'm pleased for the Manager and the fans."

Much has been made of the number of youngsters in Fulham's squads this season, but McCormack has no concerns about the volume of Academy graduates in the side, and insists they're there on merit.

"Regardless of their age I think it's important they get across to people that they're good enough," he explained. "They're not here because there's no-one else here – they've been promoted to the First Team squad based on their talent.

"It's just about getting experience into these boys and getting them streetwise on the pitch."

Attentions now immediately return to Sky Bet Championship business, with Cardiff City visiting the Cottage on Saturday, and McCormack is keen for the Whites to kick on against the Welsh outfit.

"That's the big one," the 28-year-old admitted. "Cup wins are nice but your bread and butter is the league. We've had a bad start so it's important we put it right, starting Saturday.

"We're four games in, we've got a completely new squad, we're trying to gel, we're trying every day in training to gel. Maybe a result away from home in a local derby will give us the belief we've been needing to go on."

It's an opinion that's echoed by his teammate Tim Hoogland.

The German – who did a solid job in a holding midfield role against the Bees – believes that while his team could have taken some points already this season, he fully expects Fulham to start getting the results in the bag.

"We had our possibilities to get points in every match," he stressed. "Even at Derby County, where we equalised.

"We prepared well for the season. Maybe some things went unfortunately, but now we will improve.

"Our team is completely new. It looks like we needed a little bit more time to cope with that than we had imagined. I think our season started on Tuesday. There was a great relief in the dressing room. We want to continue from here."

Tickets for Saturday's meeting with Cardiff City are available to buy on General Sale, priced from just £25 for adults and £10 for juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/27/ross-for-the-fans?

WhiteJC

Fulham £11m striker: I'm happy fans try to wind me up

Forward Ross McCormack reckons abuse he gets is down to doing a good job

Three's a great crowd: McCormack (R) celebrates with Cauley Woodrow and Ryan Williams

Fulham fans were singing: 'McCormack is worth more than your ground' in a wind-up aimed at Brentford supporters last night.

This, of course, after the £11m striker had broken his scoring duck with the Capital One Cup tie's only goal on 68 minutes.

McCormack has shed a stone at the behest of his new boss, but not the tag of becoming the Championship's most expensive player.

It bothers him not a lot. In fact, the Scots international hopes Cardiff fans on Saturday and the rest after that continue to give him grief.

"Every ground I have been at this season I have been getting a bit of abuse from the home fans, but that is fine," he said.

Catch this: McCormack sends his shirt into the delirious Fulham fans at the end
"If you were not a half decent player they would not be bothered about you. I am more than happy to take the stick if I can shut them up at the other end."

For all that, the forward was as surprised as anyone else when Fulham shelled out something close to half their parachute payment money from the Premier League on him.

Can he really believe the fee?

"Not really, no," he said. "But I can't do anything about that."

The bigger shock was Felix Magath's demands once he got off the scales.

"Yeah, it was a bit of a surprise, because the weight I was at I played the whole of last season at. I have lost about 7kg of that since I joined the club," offered the man who was the Championship's top scorer with Leeds on 29 goals in all competitions.

"I was doing three of four extra sessions a day in Austria pre-season," he said.

"It was quite enjoyable to be honest. I might be getting to that turning point now.

"When you work hard on fitness, you need some rest to come down and then you will go again. I think I am at that stage now where I can go again."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-11m-striker-im-happy-7677887?

WhiteJC

McCormack hails big first win

Ross McCormack was pleased to get off the mark with his first goal for Fulham last night – but insists a first win of the new season was much more important.

Felix Magath's side had lost all four of their Championship fixtures before the west London derby at Brentford in the Capital One Cup and McCormack believes that the 1-0 win at Griffin Park will give a young squad a real confidence boost ahead of the return to league action against Cardiff on Saturday. The Scotland international's clinical finish from a fine Chris David pass settled the tie and eased some of the pressure on Magath.

It's good to get a goal but the most important thing for the squad, for the manager, for the fans especially, was to get the first win of the season because it's not been good enough really. In every game I think we've played okay without creating any chances. On Tuesday we created a few and could have had a few more [goals] in the second half.

I had one ruled offside which I'm not so sure about, Cauley [Woodrow] had a chance or two, so it was good to be playing with that freedom and creating chances and winning the game. It's a good bit of belief now because, like I said, we'd played well without creating any chances in games so that's why we were getting beat.

But we did okay on Tuesday. We probably didn't play as well as we have done in some of the other games in terms of possession of the ball, but we created more chances, so that's nice. It's just a good feeling and I'm pleased for the Manager and the fans.

McCormack has been impressed with the quality of Fulham's young starlets since arriving at the club in the summer and has no qualms about the inclusion of a number of the club's recent academy graduates.

Regardless of their age I think it's important they get across to people that they're good enough. They're not here because there's no-one else here – they've been promoted to the first team squad based on their talent. It's just about getting experience into these boys and getting them streetwise on the pitch.

Attentions now turn to the visit of one of McCormack's old clubs, Cardiff City, to Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon.

That's the big one. Cup wins are nice but your bread and butter is the league. We've had a bad start so it's important we put it right, starting Saturday. We're four games in, we've got a completely new squad, we're trying to gel, we're trying every day in training to gel. Maybe a result away from home in a local derby will give us the belief we've been needing to go on.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/08/mccormack-hails-big-first-win/?

WhiteJC

Ross McCormack: First Fulham win will boost young side

Fulham striker Ross McCormack hopes the League Cup win over Brentford will kick-start their season after four consecutive Championship defeats.

McCormack, an £11m summer arrival from Leeds, scored his first goal for the club at Griffin Park.

"It has been disastrous," the 28-year-old told BBC London 94.9.

"We're four games in, have a completely new team and are trying to gel. Maybe a win away from home in a derby will give us belief we're good enough to go on."

Fulham, who were relegated from the Premier League last season, are bottom of the early Championship table after defeats against Ipswich, Millwall, Wolves and Derby.

"In every game we have played OK without creating any chances. That is why we were getting beaten," said the Scotland international.

"Against Brentford we probably did not play as well as we have done, in terms of possession of the ball, but we created more chances.

Fulham's losing start to Championship life
Aug 9: 1-2 v Ipswich Town (A)
Aug 16: 0-1 v Millwall (H)
Aug 20: 0-1 Wolves (H)
Aug 25: 1-5 v Derby County (A)

"It was good to be playing with that freedom, creating chances and affecting games. It is a good bit of belief now."

McCormack defended the young Fulham players who have been given games by manager Felix Magath following the departure of several senior squad members this summer.

"It is important that we get across to people who ask questions that these young boys are good enough," he said.

"They are not here because there is no-one else here. They have been promoted to the first-team squad because of their talent.

"It is about getting experience into these boys and getting them streetwise on the pitch in different situations. That will progress their careers no end."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28952224

WhiteJC

Brentford 0-1 Fulham...

... or the art of writing a match report for a game you haven't seen.

Rewind back to last March. The squad is running laps of Motspur Park.

Ashkan Dejagah – who is slightly injured – sits in a director's chair by the car park, ticking off each player's name each time that player goes by.

Brede Hangeland is causing Dejagah problems, having now been lapped – twice – by the entire field. John-Arne Riise appears to be missing.

Confused by this, Dejagah's accounting is awry, his paperwork a mess. He puts his head in his hands. But his paperwork is still a mess when he looks up again. He has lost count of who has run what. And now he checks, he realises hasn't ticked off Scott Parker at all, but there is Parker chugging slowly around the corner. And who the fck are these young players anyway? They all look the same. He sighs. Why him?

Felix Magath, the new manager. Arms folded, he wanders silently behind Dejagah's chair. Taps him on the right shoulder. SHOUTS in his left ear. "GET OUT!" Magath points not at the changing rooms, but at the entrance to the car park. Dejagah gets in his car and leaves, stopping at the Tesco Superstore in Raynes Park for a ploughman's sandwich and a six pack of (two bar) kitkats on the way.

Dejagah would start only one more game for Fulham.

Stories like these are becoming increasingly common, but what if Magath's attention to detail is a good thing? What if all our criticisms are unfounded? What if he has simply been chopping things around, trying to get a handle on what will work and what won't? What if his eye for these things is much better than ours, and that he has now made some big decisions? What if we start winning now?

Against Brentford last night Fulham were victorious in what sounds like a good win. We've said that in the previous games, early goals have made all the difference, and this time we didn't concede. I think that was crucial.

The other angle that resonates is that Magath generally stayed away from teenagers, save for Cauley Woodrow, far the most experienced of the young'ins anyway. It might be nothing but a few people have been murmuring about the missed generation, how Fulham seemed to have skipped a perfectly reasonable U21 group and plucked players straight from the U18s.

So the central defensive pairing of Hutchinson and Burn, both in their early 20s, is perhaps a better balance than a defence that contains the 18 year old Burgess. A midfield with Hoogland and Parker at its base probably has a bit going for it as some kind of organising engine room (a mainframe?).

All of this feels more like it. Magath's crime has not just been to lose games, but to lose games while doing things the fans don't agree with or particularly understand. It's a dangerous combination and honestly probably something he could only do if he felt very safe in his job.

Beating Brentford away from home is not nothing. A clean sheet is not nothing. The performances of Burn – proven at this level, remember – and David, and probably of Woodrow and McCormack, too, leave plenty of scope for optimism. It will take a bit of time for the fans to trust Magath again, but it's amazing what a few good results can do, and let's face it, the team needed a boost. That win gave it to them (and what a nice goal it was, too.  McCormack looked like Ian Rush slotting that one away).

The Cardiff game might go horribly wrong but it feels as if perhaps a team is evolving. As some fans have pointed out, it is a long season, and if heads aren't lost early on then pretty much anything can happen between now and the end of the season.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/08/27/brentford-0-1-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Why the Ruiz Deal Was Called Off!

If anyone out there is still wondering why the Werder Bremen move for Bryan Ruiz collapsed so quickly, the answer is simple.

It seems that the Bundesliga club pulled the plug on the proposed move for the Costa Rican international as they`re engulfed in a financial crisis or as their boss Robin Dutt puts it bluntly,

"We have no money."

An ailment that is all too common in the modern game!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=368479#ixzz3BcK5tzMZ

WhiteJC

Glenn Hoddle in the frame for Fulham job if club axes Felix Magath

Glenn Hoddle will be a contender for the Fulham job if the club lose patience with Felix Magath.

The German earned breathing space with a 1-0 win at Brentford in the Capital One Cup last night but after relegation last season, Fulham have made a dreadful start to life in the Championship, losing their first four matches.

If results do not improve, Fulham will be forced to consider Magath's future, despite making assurances this week that he was safe. Should that happen, Standard Sport understands Hoddle would be high on the list of possible replacements.

Hoddle is currently working as assistant to Harry Redknapp at Queens Park Rangers. He was sounded out for the vacant post at Crystal Palace but turned it down, partly from a sense of loyalty to Redknapp.

The former England manager, who has not had a club job since leaving Wolves in July 2006, has numerous commitments within the game, particularly as a television pundit. His decision to reject Palace raised doubts about whether he is genuinely interested in a full-time return to management.

Hoddle would not be the only runner if Magath were dismissed as it is thought Oscar Garcia, the former Brighton coach who left his post at Maccabi Tel Aviv, also has admirers at Craven Cottage.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/glenn-hoddle-in-the-frame-for-fulham-job-if-club-axes-felix-magath-9693970.html

WhiteJC

Roberts earns England U19 call up

Patrick Roberts has won his first call-up to the England Under 19 squad for next month's friendly against Germany.

The Fulham midfielder, who helped the England Under 17s win the European Championships earlier this year, has been included by Under 19s manager John Peacock in his squad for the trip to east German city of Oberhausen for this testing fixture on September 8th. Roberts, who has been watched by a number of leading English and European sides, made his Fulham first-team debut as a substitute at Manchester City last season and has appeared in all four Championship fixtures this season.

The 17 year-old was an unused substitute in Fulham's 1-0 win at Brentford in the Capital One Cup second round last night.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/08/roberts-earns-england-u19-call-up/?

WhiteJC

Williams keeps Wales place

Fulham winger George Williams has retained his place in the Welsh squad for September's European Championship qualifier in Andorra.

The 18 year-old made his international debut as a 70th minute substitute during Wales' friendly defeat by Holland in Amsterdam on June 4th. Former Fulham manager Chris Coleman had spoken of how impressed he was with Williams having called him into the squad as cover for the injured Gareth Bale and the teenager will be looking to gain some more international experience in the September tie, which will be played on an artificial 3G pitch.

Williams, who joined Fulham as a first-year scholar in 2009 from the MK Dons, made his Fulham debut in the 1-0 home defeat by Millwall on August 16th.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/08/williams-keeps-wales-place/?

WhiteJC

Burn's return adds reassurance

Dan Burn's had longer than most of us to reflect on the enormity of the May thumping at Stoke that cost Fulham their Premier League status. Played out of position at right back, the 6ft 7 in left-footed centre back had a torrid afternoon up against the rampaging Oussama Aissaidi and became one of the main exhibits in the case against Felix Magath. Despite a couple of first-team run outs in early season, the tall and eminently capable centre back watched Fulham's first four Championship fixtures from the sidelines, before making his return against Brentford at Griffin Park.

A lack of match sharpness can often show in terms of physicality, pace and positioning, particularly at centre back, where one poor decision is often quickly punished. But, remarkably, it looked like Burn had never been away. He was predictability dominant in the air, repelling Brentford's regular aerial assaults with effortless ease, but what caught the eye was his alertness to danger on the floor, making a couple of timely interventions as well as saving tackles, and the manner with which he commanded a new-look defence.

His vocal nature and decisiveness befitted a man who has had experience of this league. Lee Clark took Burn, previously a promotion winner from League One with Yeovil Town, to Birmingham City last season and his Championship experience was one of the reasons why many expected the youngster, who had a few promising showings towards the tail end of last term in the Premier League, to become a key part of a Fulham side that looked light on know-how at this level. If this was Burn's opportunity to remind Magath of his qualities, he couldn't have scripted a better audition for a place in the side against Cardiff City on Saturday.

At a time when Fulham's frailty at the back has been cruelly exposed, Burn looked assured and confident. He made swift decisions – only making one error when diving into a tackle on the half-way line late in the contest – and kept Nick Proschwitz so quiet that Mark Warburton was forced into an earlier than expected tactical change. There was nothing too fancy about his football, even if he looked a little more composed in possession than we'd seen on previous occasions, and he certainly wasn't shy about reminding those stationed in front of him about their screening responsibilities. Where Cameron Burgess has looked a little green and nervy, Burn looked like a battle-hardened veteran.

Burn's display also had a hefty dose of desire about it. Perhaps fired up by his exclusion to this point or by the opportunity to stake a claim in a local derby, he looked motivated from the first whistle. There was defiance in those powerful headed clearances, an almost thou-shalt-not-pass belligerence about the couple of crucial blocks in the early stages and whole-hearted challenges. His will to win couldn't be challenged. About the only thing he got wrong was the exuberant slide on his knees in front of the away fans after he sprinted the length of the pitch to celebrate Ross McCormack's winner. Even then, his excitement – like the glee of a small child – was endearing.

The success of his partnership with his fellow centre back from the north east, Shaun Hutchinson, might have made Magath think. The pair were rarely separated, holding a higher line than in previous games, and compliment each other well, playing on their natural sides. Nikolay Bodurov, who incidentally appeared as a makeshift holding midfielder as the clock ticked down, hasn't done too much wrong at this early point in his exposure to English football but they'd be a strong argument for retaining this combination at the heart of the defence for the visit of Cardiff to Craven Cottage. At the very least, such an accomplished return was timely and reassuring given the gravity of Fulham's defensive collapse at Derby.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/08/burns-return-adds-reassurance/?

WhiteJC

Fulham draw Doncaster in Capital One Cup third round

Fulham have been drawn at home to Doncaster Rovers in the third round of the Capital One Cup.

The Whites' reward for last night's 1-0 win at Brentford is a home tie against the League One side during the week commencing 22 September. Rovers, who upset Championship opposition in Watford at Vicarage Road last night, currently sit ninth in the table with seven points from four games having been relegated from the Championship last season.

Ross McCormack scored his first goal for Fulham as Felix Magath's side put their name in the hat for the third round with a narrow victory at Griffin Park.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/08/fulham-draw-doncaster-in-capital-one-cup-third-round/?

WhiteJC

Cardiff City is 'the big one' for Fulham - insists £11m man and former Bluebird Ross McCormack

£11m man Ross McCormack ready for the 'big one' between Fulham and former club Cardiff City

Former Cardiff City striker Ross McCormack has labelled Saturday's clash between the Bluebirds and his stuttering Fulham team "The big one."

The Scotland striker, who scored 29 goals in 74 games for Cardiff, before leaving for Leeds for £400,000 in 2010, was always a fan's favourite in South Wales.

But, four years on, McCormack is the £11m man tasked with leading Fulham back to the Premier League after last year's relegation along with Bluebirds.

But after a shocking start, featuring defeats against Ipswich, Millwall, Wolves and Derby, McCormack needs to start paying back his transfer fee – quickly.

After hitting the decisive goal in last night's League Cup derby win at Brentford, the 28-year-old said: "Cup wins are nice but your bread and butter is the league.

"We've had a bad start so it's important we put it right, starting Saturday.

"We're four games in, we've got a completely new squad, we're trying to gel, we're trying every day in training to gel.

"Maybe a result away from home in a local derby will give us the belief we've been needing to go on."

But with former players like John Arne Riise queuing up to criticise the Cottagers team and their boss Felix Magath, McCormack has little time to start justifying his huge fee.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-the-big-one-7681536?