more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

oman's squad last night vs Ireland

Started by dannyboi-ffc, September 04, 2014, 09:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest

Quote from: Syd Cupp on September 04, 2014, 06:41:11 PM
My old mans a dustman is a great shout its either that or Paul Simon "you can call me AL"

I think the reason that they are called AL is that they are related and as the link below shows when you click on to the oman team. Apart from the keeper they all look the same. !!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/311687/teams
Actually made me laugh, but then its been a long day, need rum.
Live in Falmouth!

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

So it should be   Felix von Magath

The Welsh Amatuer Team                                            

Jones the Brickie

Jones the Butcher    Jones the Postman     Jones  O' Jones        Jones  AL-Jones

Hughes              Jones  McJones           Jones the Sikh

Jones the Phones         Williams                                                                    Jones the Pig Farmer        

Subs:   A.Jones the Sub,    H.Jones the Sub,  W. Jones the Sub      Reverend Jones

Team mascot:   Jones the Sheepdog
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

hurricane_nz

Its common in the Middle East with Arabic names, nothing unusual or fascinating if you ask me!

Burt

One of the more curious posts of recent times...!

Beamer

I played cricket in the 1970s against a side where 10 of the players were called Patel and the last player was a big red haired guy who opened the bowling whose name I can't remember - our scorer had a nightmare day. True story.

Beamer

Interestingly when I posted the above post and originally put in ging*r guy it changed it to special one. Bit of overkill PC there methinks.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Burt on September 04, 2014, 11:03:38 PM

Cheers burt. I hope no one found it offensive in anyway. You can tell by the majority of my posts that im a decent guy who likes to have a joke, bit of a fruit cake. Like i said it wasnt meant horribly in any way.

Is it just me that finds it fascinating that they are all called al
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on September 04, 2014, 11:42:05 PM

Cheers burt. I hope no one found it offensive in anyway. You can tell by the majority of my posts that im a decent guy who likes to have a joke, bit of a fruit cake. Like i said it wasnt meant horribly in any way.

I certainly do not expect any more stick from you after reading this and the Humpty Dumpty thread.

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on September 05, 2014, 01:54:49 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on September 04, 2014, 11:42:05 PM

I certainly do not expect any more stick from you after reading this and the Humpty Dumpty thread.

Lol at least im different I guess. I get so fed up of reading the same things over and over. Magath arguments, al fayed debates, khan this khan that, whats the line up gonna be? Blah blah blah. I just like to be creative

Maybe im on the wrong kind of forum lol.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Twig

As someone living in the region I have to say that I find this post depressingly ignorant (I am sure it was not intended to insult).

premFlem

Quote from: Airfix on September 04, 2014, 11:13:25 AM
Quote from: Wingnut on September 04, 2014, 11:08:29 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on September 04, 2014, 09:41:47 AM
Out of a squad of 29 only three players never had 'Al' at the beginning of their names. For example Al habsi.

Those three players all started and were all substituted. Baring in mind only about 5 players were subbed do you reckon they realised during the match that they werent called Al and decided to take them off?

Ive never seen a squad all with the same name before, fascinating!

A others have said, it's the equivalent of the 'O' or 'Mac/Mc' here, in Ireland. It's to do with ancestry i.e. you are of the or from the clan. As an aside, I watched bits of the game and it was terrible stuff. The home nations are really poor at the moment.

Point of order here.  Republic of Ireland are not a "home" nation - that term is reserved for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Indeed, I really don't get this country's obsession with the Republic's football team, they are a completely different country from us, separate government, head of state, currency, everything.  Why don't they bang on about France's scores, if that's the way they want to go?  I'd much rather more time given over to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (who are all woefully under-represented in sports journalism) than the Republic's team.
I read somewhere a few years ago that 1 out of every 4 londoners had irish roots, whether true or not I don't know but that might explain the interest.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Twig on September 05, 2014, 10:14:21 AM
As someone living in the region I have to say that I find this post depressingly ignorant (I am sure it was not intended to insult).

if being ignorant means I have no knowledge of oman as a country, I have no interest of developing an knowledge of oman as a country, I have no intention of ever visiting oman but I find it funny that a WHOLE football squad shares the name al. If that makes me ignorant then I certainly am. I doubt many people arent ignorant in the world though if thats how it works.

its amazing how the smallest trivial thing offends all kinds of society but white english people arent allowed a chip on their shoulder. It wasnt intended as an insult and I tell the truth when I say I just found it fascinating. It had nothing to do with race, religion, nationality nothing. If readings team next week are all called o' donnell, o' neill, o' sullivan throughout the whole 18 I would find that just as amusing. I dont get why the worlds so sensitive at the moment.

Its not having a pop at you but a lot of people probably cringed when reading it thinking it was a sore topic. At least it was football related, what about all the NFR joke threads on here, many of which have a punch line insulting a certain culture, normally an irish man or skmething like that. Im sure the residents of oman dont even flinch when reading them posts, the world has.double standards. .
One rule for people like me and another for certain parts of the world.

This post was not ignorant and the nastiest comment was referring to the paul simon song 'you can call me al' and if you cant see the funny side of that then you people dont have a sense of humour

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

epsomraver

Quote from: Twig on September 05, 2014, 10:14:21 AM

Of course with the region being so liberal and freedom of speech encouraged  fp.gif  you would of course

Slaphead in Qatar

come to think about it, I remember watching bulgaria a few years ago and noticing all their player surnames ending with 'ov'. always wondered why alot of eastern europeans have this in their names.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 05, 2014, 11:53:12 AM
come to think about it, I remember watching bulgaria a few years ago and noticing all their player surnames ending with 'ov'. always wondered why alot of eastern europeans have this in their names.

Again it would look ridiculous if the whole squad ended with ov. I used to laugh at brazil, ronaldinhO, ronaldO, rivaldO, leonardO, adrianO, robinhO...........and then dunga.

No matter who it is it would still be hilarious.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]