more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (13/09/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 13, 2014, 08:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Felix Magath reveals 'frantic and intense' Fulham transfer window

The Cottagers' manager has expressed his delight at signing Matt Smith, and how his squad is better now than when he took charge.

The German coach oversaw the departures of 26 players this summer, of which only four were on short-term loan deals, and as a result, he has promoted six academy players into the first-team set up.

To compliment his youthful team, the West Londoners also signed 14 players, with the last addition coming late on transfer deadline day - as Leeds United forward Matt Smith moved to Craven Cottage to link up with his former strike partner Ross McCormack.

With the wholesale changes seen at the Cottage, it was no surprise to have seen Fulham struggle at the start of the campaign, as youngsters received their first taste of professional football, and debutants looked lost in new surroundings. Their first four Championship games failed to return even a single point, although a hard-fought 1-1 draw with Cardiff City - courtesy of a goal scored by Tim Hoogland and assisted by fellow new boy McCormack - hinted that form may be on the up.

The two week international break has given no indication as to whether on-pitch matters are set to improve, although it has given Magath a long time to assess his squad in training, and he has admitted that he likes what he is working with.

Speaking to the official Fulham website, the 61-year old said: "I have just witnessed at close hand my first transfer window here in England. It certainly was a frantic and intense experience, but I am pleased to report I am glad that we made the most of our targeted acquisitions prior to deadline day. In particular, I am very happy with the addition of Matt Smith which, in my opinion, is a very significant signing and a worthy replacement for the departed Konstantinos Mitroglou.

"When I look at the transfer window as a whole, I am satisfied with all of our signings.

"We have managed to obtain the services of experienced players who will definitely complement our youngsters, and I believe the squad we now have assembled is very well balanced, which will give us more stability and allow us tactically to be more flexible."

The German coach is of the belief that his 'well balanced' current squad is better than the squad he inherited, with it endorsing everything the Cottagers represent.

"f I compare the current squad with the one that I inherited in February, one cannot fail to notice that we have moved on a number of players that we felt would not play an important role in the future of our Club. Only by selling these players was it possible for me to promote six players from our strong Academy which lowered the average age of the squad while also reducing the wage structure.

"This gives us a squad that endorses the strategy of the Club and will help us meet our goal of sustainability for many years to come."

Whilst the squad is lower on talent than last season, there is no denying that the young players that have come in have shown a hunger that was rarely on display in the Premier League. Whilst it may take a few years of struggle until the Cottagers are back in the top flight, to see the club and Magath are planning for a sustainable future will surely satiate the needs of the Fulham faithful.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/09/12/felix-magath-reveals-frantic-and-intense-fulham-transfer-windo/?

WhiteJC

McCormack and Smith can revive lethal Leeds United partnership, says Fulham boss

Magath hopes duo can get Cottagers firing at Reading this afternoon

Felix Magath has backed Ross McCormack to revive his lethal partnership with Matt Smith and fire Fulham up the table.

McCormack has failed to find the net in five league appearances since his £11million move from Leeds United in the summer, despite finishing last campaign as the Championship's leading marksman with 28 goals.

But Magath hopes the deadline day signing of Smith, who forged a deadly pairing with the Scotsman at Elland Road, can get the struggling Cottagers going at Reading this afternoon.

He said: "I think it's important for us that Ross has a player beside him who he knows how he moves and behaves.

"Matt is very strong and with his power he can burst into the box and get the attention of the defenders. It will be easier for Ross to find space to play.

"We needed a tall player for situations where we need to put pressure on the opposition. That's one of the reasons we signed Matt. He's very intelligent and he has also played with Ross before."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mccormack-smith-can-revive-lethal-7760301?