News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Leadership on the pitch lacking, not just Fulham...

Started by Huxley, September 16, 2014, 02:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huxley

Back when i was playing Sunday football and still at school, we always had a leader in our team who would not stop talking or yelling for the entire game to drive the team. When was the last time we had someone like that at Fulham? Hangeland - no... Parker - no... Berbatov -yes, but he was in own world, Murphy- yes... I cannot think of any player, with perhaps Kara who seemed to be a vocal leader in the past 4 or so season. Sidwell - maybe...  Even on the sideline, when was teh last time you saw our manager ripping into a player? Is it because there is no point due to the noise? Imagine if we had someone like Oliver Kahn (not for his GK skills). Ok he was a bit crazy but tell you what he sure drove the team from the back. Who is vocal in this years squad? McCormak seems to be the only one doing any talking or encouraging.

then it got me thinking about teams in the Premiership. There's not many of those players a la Roy Keane, Gerrard, Lampard, or Terry who just don't stop talking. Cannot think of many more...

FFC1987

Quote from: TheGreatGatsby on September 16, 2014, 02:52:13 PM
Back when i was playing Sunday football and still at school, we always had a leader in our team who would not stop talking or yelling for the entire game to drive the team. When was the last time we had someone like that at Fulham? Hangeland - no... Parker - no... Berbatov -yes, but he was in own world, Murphy- yes... I cannot think of any player, with perhaps Kara who seemed to be a vocal leader in the past 4 or so season. Sidwell - maybe...  Even on the sideline, when was teh last time you saw our manager ripping into a player? Is it because there is no point due to the noise? Imagine if we had someone like Oliver Kahn (not for his GK skills). Ok he was a bit crazy but tell you what he sure drove the team from the back. Who is vocal in this years squad? McCormak seems to be the only one doing any talking or encouraging.

then it got me thinking about teams in the Premiership. There's not many of those players a la Roy Keane, Gerrard, Lampard, or Terry who just don't stop talking. Cannot think of many more...

At that level I think leadership is more about off the pitch than on it to be honest. I remember growing up, starting men's football at 15 the same things were always infused to us 'there are 11 leaders out there'. I still play Saturday football locally in SW London and can say even now, leadership is a minimal factor. It takes more than one loud individual to motivate a team. Just my thoughts on it.

supersimmo123

Parker has just stepped back, clearly lost for words with the management. McCormack should be given a chance, captained Leeds and did a decent job.

fulhamben

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 16, 2014, 03:40:25 PM
The Duke of Wellington was a leader. As was Sir Francis Drake. Queen Boadicea, Oliver Cromwell, Captain Cook, Richard The Lion Heart, King Arthur. Robin Hood, Henry V, Winston Churchill, Horatio Nelson,  How many is that. Blimey that's 11 enough for a football team.
didnt boadicea get everyone killed?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Berserker

I'm a big Boadica fan
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: fulhamben on September 16, 2014, 05:10:30 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 16, 2014, 03:40:25 PM
The Duke of Wellington was a leader. As was Sir Francis Drake. Queen Boadicea, Oliver Cromwell, Captain Cook, Richard The Lion Heart, King Arthur. Robin Hood, Henry V, Winston Churchill, Horatio Nelson,  How many is that. Blimey that's 11 enough for a football team.
didnt boadicea get everyone killed?
. Yes if my memory surves me correctly I believe she did. How unfortunate, but she put up a very good fight, rode around on Chariot with Blades sticking out of the hub caps, I don't think the Romans appreciated it, my understanding is she poisoned herself, rather than be captured.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Enclosurite

¡COYW!

nose

i agree a good captain is a vital asset and we haven't really replaced danny murphy or prior to that roger brown