more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Kit is saying all the right things!!

Started by DevonFFC, September 19, 2014, 04:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevonFFC

Get opening press conference from him.

Addressing the media on Friday afternoon, Kit Symons expressed his delight at being handed the role of Caretaker Manager at the Club.

The former defender – who made 129 appearances during his playing days with the Whites – has taken temporary charge following Felix Magath's departure on Thursday, and he's keen to grasp the role with both hands.

"I'm really excited about it," he beamed. "It's a great opportunity for me at a club I know very well and love very much, so I'm very excited about it.

"It's all been a bit of a whirlwind to be honest. I got the call from Alistair Mackintosh on Thursday afternoon to go over and speak to him and he explained the situation and what was happening.

"Obviously with the time difference over in the States things were very much ongoing throughout the course of the afternoon. He told me the Chairman had given me the responsibility of taking on the job on a caretaker basis and it all went bonkers after that really."

When questioned by a reporter as to whether he'd like the role on a permanent basis, Symons was forthright with his response.

"Yeah, very much so," he replied. "I've done the caretaker role a few times and many different jobs within this Club and other footballs clubs, so it's certainly something I feel I'm ready to do now.

"I'm hoping to be here for a long, long time in this role and move the Club forward. I've got big ideas, I've got big plans, I've got a definite way of how I want to work, how I want my staff to work, and how I want my players to play.

"There has been a lot of change here and stability, in my opinion, is what's needed now and I aim to give the Club that stability."

His long-standing affiliation with Fulham has unsurprisingly made him a popular figure with the supporters, and he was delighted to be told he was the overwhelming favourite to get the job in a recent fan poll.

"That's fantastic, really good," he said. "It's a huge boost for anyone going into a new job, or having a new experience, if you've good people behind you. That's the overwhelming feeling I get – of genuine support from everyone, and that's brilliant. That's all I can ask for.

"The general feedback and the number of text messages and stuff I've had from people; if goodwill won you games of football we'd be moving up the table sharpish because the support I've had from everyone's been brilliant.

"I played here and had two promotions. We had some fantastic times on the football pitch and some great memories. I've done the scouting, worked with the Under-18s, the Under-21s more recently.

"I think the Fulham fans know I'm 100 per cent committed to the Club, and that's what they want to see from everyone connected to the Club, and that's what they know I'm going to give them."

It was put to him that someone who knows the Club, as he does, can only be beneficial at this time – a notion Symons agrees with.

"I think that will definitely help," he admitted. "Not wishing to big myself up too much but no-one understands the fabric of this Club better than me.

"I understand what the fans want, what the people working within the Club need, and what these players need now. It's a big job, without a doubt, but I'm really, really excited and very confident that we can start moving up the table very, very soon.

"It's been a difficult time for the Club, there's no getting away from that, you can't escape from the fact that one point out of [a possible] 21 is not a great return by any stretch, so it's been a difficult time."

That solitary point gained means Fulham currently prop up the Sky Bet Championship table, but our new caretaker boss doesn't believe we'll be there for long.

"We've certainly got a squad that's a lot, lot better than what the league position says at the moment," he stated. "We've got some very, very good players here and it's down to me now as the person in charge to pick the right team for the right game, and win games of football which, ultimately, is what this job is all about.

"The first thing I'm going to look to do is to really galvanise everything, really pull everyone together and get everyone singing off the same hymn sheet, so to speak.

"We want to get the supporters right behind us. This is a family Club and if we act in that way then things are going to be fantastic for us."

The 2014/15 campaign has seen the Whites field a huge variety of players across the seven matches so far.

"I think everybody wants and craves stability now at Fulham and I aim to give that, certainly," Kit said. "You want to play a settled side as much as possible, but also the games come thick and fast so you will need a squad to use and rotate and rest players, but I believe certain areas of the pitch need to be settled, for sure.

"I've spoken to a couple of the players and they're incredibly positive. I've got full confidence in the way I coach, the way I train, the way I manage, and these players are going to love it."

One individual who is yet to feature for the Whites this season is Bryan Ruiz. The forward captained Costa Rica to the Quarter-Finals of the World Cup this summer and is a player Symons is looking forward to working with.

"Bryan was one of those players I had a conversation with," he revealed. "He's a fantastic footballer and in the conversation we had on Thursday night he was very upbeat, very positive.

"That's a great start and I was delighted with the conversation and I'm looking forward to moving on and I'm looking forward to seeing him in training."

With regards to his training methods, Symons has a very distinctive idea of what he's looking for.

"It's quite simple really – I think we have to do the basics well," he explained. "I work on an attacking day, a defending day, a transition day, and on set-pieces. Now, other than those four things I don't think there's too much in a game of football that you need to worry about.

"So if we're prepared and coached and ready for those situations then we'll be in a pretty good place.

"There'll be a lot of work. Like I said, I break it down quite simply; we'll have attacking days, defending days. On the defending days we'll be doing a lot of hard work, linked into the opponents we're about to play against and how we think we can nullify their threat."

Symons' first game in charge of the Club will be in front of the home fans when Blackburn Rovers visit Craven Cottage on Saturday. And while he's obviously looking to get off to the best possible start, he won't be panicking if Fulham fail to pick up three points.

"It would be a brilliant start if we won, everyone would be delighted," he admitted. "But as much as ultimately I will be judged on the results of the team, my focus is on the work that you do, the preparations for the game because the result actually takes care of itself and is pretty much a by-product, I feel, of the work you do, the environment you create, and so on and so forth.

"So that will be my focus; getting these players into the best frame of mind, the best physical condition come each matchday. And that will be my full focus. I'm not putting everything on the result on Saturday – I would love a win, of course I would, but I won't become disillusioned or throw the towel in if we don't get it."

Tickets for Saturday's game are still available to buy, priced from £25 adults and £10 juniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick Bateman

Quote from: ollienixs on September 19, 2014, 04:24:37 PM

"It's quite simple really – I think we have to do the basics well," he explained. "I work on an attacking day, a defending day, a transition day, and on set-pieces. Now, other than those four things I don't think there's too much in a game of football that you need to worry about.

I like the sound of that part in particular.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Buffalo76

Actions speak louder than words in the end but i'm already feeling more confident going into tomorrow's game than if Felix was still running the show. There's been plenty of names mentioned as possible replacements but it could be Kit's to lose. For now at least he's in the driving seat so if he can turn our fortunes around why not stick with Kit.

Robbie

Frankly .... it is great to have someone who can speak the language !!

ChesterTheTabby

Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

res

Quote from: Buffalo76 on September 19, 2014, 05:35:44 PM
Actions speak louder than words in the end but i'm already feeling more confident going into tomorrow's game than if Felix was still running the show. There's been plenty of names mentioned as possible replacements but it could be Kit's to lose. For now at least he's in the driving seat so if he can turn our fortunes around why not stick with Kit.

Bad start by Kit. He's talking sense in an easy to understand way and emphasising the basics...like defending properly, attacking with purpose, and getting players to play for each other. We haven't hasd a manager do that since Hodgson

Fulham1959

Quote from: Robbie on September 19, 2014, 05:45:12 PM
Frankly .... it is great to have someone who can speak the language !!

:54:

I'm buoyed just by watching that interview and wish to heck I could be there tomorrow.  Kit's personality comes across as very similar to Rene's - plus a very, very solid Fulham foundation to reinforce his positivity.  So nice to hear Sarah's voice again, too !

The Swan

The Swan