watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (23/09/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 23, 2014, 09:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

DRFC Will Rovers heap more misery on Fulham?

Doncaster Rovers will be looking to claim another Championship scalp when they travel to Fulham for their Capital One League Cup Third Round clash.

Rovers caused an upset in the Second Round when they knocked out Watford 2-1 at Vicarage Road and they will be hoping to make it another great night on the road in the competition against troubled Fulham.

Fulham might like the distraction of the League Cup as they are currently struggling in the Championship.

The cottagers sit bottom of the division and have recently sacked manager Felix Magath after a poor start to the season.

So what do you think?
Do you think Rovers will heap more misery on Fulham or will the London club end Rovers run in the competition this season?

You can make your prediction on the game by voting on our latest poll.

Read more: http://www.doncaster.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=371287#ixzz3E7wAnwPV

WhiteJC

Next Fulham manager: Gianfranco Zola is shock name on 5 man shortlist to succeed Magath

Contender for football's nicest man under consideration after sacking of controversial German - along with the likes of Hughton, Sherwood and Clarke

Gianfranco Zola is the shock name on Fulham's five-man shortlist.

Former Chelsea star Zola is under consideration along with Chris Hughton, Tim Sherwood, Steve Clarke and caretaker Kit Symons.

Zola, 48, is the unexpected name and may not be universally popular because of his links with Fulham's fierce rivals Chelsea.

But the Cottagers' owner Shahid Khan is in no rush to make an appointment.

Felix Magath was sacked last week with the club at the foot of the Championship, and any hopes of an immediate return to the Premier League are in tatters.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/next-fulham-manager-gianfranco-zola-4305696#ixzz3E7wVHDvK
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Next Fulham manager with have tough task saving team from relegation warns Danny Murphy

Former boss Felix Magath was sacked last week after his bizarre seven-month reign saw them relegated and then plummet to the foot of the Championship

Danny Murphy fears Fulham will struggle to save themselves after their last manager proved to be as mad as cheese.

Former Fulham boss Felix Magath was sacked last week after his bizarre seven-month reign saw them relegated and then plummet to the foot of the Championship.

Magath's madcap methods were highlighted after it was revealed former defender Brede Hangeland was told to put a lump of cheese soaked in alcohol on his leg overnight to try to cure an injury.

Former Fulham captain Murphy said: "The cheese story is remarkable because it's unusual, but it's not destructive like some things that went on.

"Things like ridiculously long training sessions, such as two, nearly three hours the afternoon before a game last season which they needed to win to stay up.

No cheesy task: Murphy has fears after the 'destructive' reign of Magath
"Sure enough, Fulham lost 4-1 to Stoke and there was a feeling of disbelief because the players were shattered before they took to the pitch.

"Some of his methods were very unorthodox and it's hard to relate to what has happened because it's been such a quick slide from the Premier League to the bottom of the Championship."

Magath accused his former players of telling "lies" and played down the cheese cure.

"I merely suggested it could be worth trying the old wives' tale of applying quark cheese to the injured area," said Magath.

"I'd never tell a doctor what to do."

But Murphy said: "I texted Brede to ask if it was true.

Brede told me it was and that the cheese had to be soaked in alcohol and he was told to phone his mother because it would help to speak to someone who loves him while the cheese was working!"

Getty
Brede Hangeland signs for Palace on a free from Fulham

Edam liars: Brede Hangeland has been accused of lying by former boss Magath

Fulham now have Kit Symons in temporary charge for their Capital One Cup tie with Doncaster tomorrow night.

Murphy fancies being part of a future set-up, potentially as a coach.

"It does interest me, even though it's early in my development," said Murphy.

"I've worked with some of the best around and I'm ambitious.

"I've got a great affection for the club and if I can help in any way, be it as manager, assistant manager, although I may stop at kit man!"

Fulham may find promotion beyond them this season, but Murphy believes there is enough talent in the squad to stay up.

He added: "They still have Scott Parker, who is a great leader, and Ross McCormack will score goals in the Championship, while Hugo Rodallega should also be good at that level."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/next-fulham-manager-tough-task-4305809#ixzz3E7woZ832
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Scott Targets Donny

Scott Parker is targeting a morale-boosting victory over Doncaster Rovers in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday evening.

The Whites' sole victory in 2014/15 arrived in the previous stage of the competition, and our skipper wants Kit Symons' side to take the Third Round tie by the scruff of its neck.

"We need to try and go in front, that's the problem," he stated. "We always go behind so we need to try and get the first goal and get in front.

"Then when teams come at us a little bit, with the pace we've got in the team and the dangerous players – Bryan Ruiz, Hugo Rodallega, Ross McCormack – I think we could be alright, but we need to just get in front.

"Brentford away in the cup is the only game we've won this year so Tuesday is a chance for us to breed confidence.

"It's another game for Kit to have a look and get a clearer understanding as well. It's a chance for everyone to improve, especially for the team to improve, and for us to start winning some games."

Symons' first game in charge did not have the fairytale ending that the home faithful were hoping for against Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.

Shaun Hutchinson's dismissal in first-half stoppage time meant it was always going to be an uphill task getting something from the match, but the team acquitted themselves well and can feel hard done by to have suffered a seventh defeat of the season.

"There was an improvement on Saturday," Parker insisted. "Obviously we've not made it easy for ourselves by going down to 10 men in the first half but I thought we were very promising second half.

"We were well in the game and if we'd managed to get an equaliser we maybe could have gone on to win it. It wasn't to be but there were a lot of positives – we just need to try and keep 11 men on the pitch as that's twice that's happened to us this season.

"We need to look forward now and really try and pick up some results because games are ticking on now, so we need to win some of them.

"We've got a good squad and I think we just need a bit of organisation, a bit of understanding, and hopefully we can turn the corner. I'm sure we can. Like I said, at 10 men on Saturday I never really felt that we were out of the game."

One man who returned to the squad at the weekend was playmaker Ruiz. The 29-year-old won plenty of plaudits over the summer after inspiring Costa Rica to a Quarter-Final spot at the World Cup, and Parker admitted his presence in the side is a definite bonus.

"I think it's pleasing for everyone," he said. "He's a fantastic player who had a fantastic World Cup so we're pleased to have him back and he'll only improve. It was his first game on Saturday so I'm sure things will only get better."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/23/scott-targets-donny?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Doncaster Rovers: Three Vikings who will look to invade Craven Cottage

We identify a Donny trio who could cause major League Cup damage

Action Images / Adam Holt
Forgotten man: Doncaster Rovers' Kyle Bennett was forced to look elsewhere for his football last year

Remember the name Kyle Bennett.

Fulham fans have been warned Doncaster Rovers' forgotten man of last year is firing on all cylinders ahead of tonight's Capital One Cup clash at Craven Cottage.

Bennett was loaned out to Crawley and Bradford last term as he failed to dislodge star duo David Cotterill and Mark Duffy.

Bradford City's Kyle Bennett in action with Coventry's Blair Adams

But with the Rovers duo out the door summer, Doncaster Free Press reporter Hayley Paterson says the winger has emerged as one of three danger men for this evening's visitors.

She said: "Kyle Bennett was a forgotten man last season.

"He went out on loan to Bradford and Crawley but he's come back and taken over from David Cotterill and Mark Duffy who both moved to Birmingham City in the summer. He plays on the wings and scored at the weekend in a 3-2 win over Chesterfield.

Action Images / Craig Brough
Talisman: Doncaster Rovers' Richie Wellens (R) in action with Blackburn Rovers' David Dunn

"He just didn't cut it last season. He was going to be a bit-part player so he was sent out on loan because Cotterill and Duffy's form was so good and there just wasn't room for him. He went elsewhere to get first-team football.

"They've gone now though and Kyle has shown Paul Dickov what he can do. Paul is fond of a cup run and he will be taking it seriously. I expect the team he picks won't be too different from the one he put out on Saturday."

Paterson has picked out another goalscorer from Saturday as her second player for Fulham to keep a close eye on, while also highlighting the contribution made by one Donny midfield ace who is hard to pin down.

Action Images / Adam Holt
Speed merchant: Nathan Tyson (L) and Watford's Tommie Hoban in action

She added: "Nathan Tyson joined pre-season and he's one who will run himself into the ground for you. He's got a never-say-die attitude and will chase lost causes and use his pace to run at defenders.

He scored at  the weekend as well so he's full of confidence."

"Richie Wellens is a superb player and really pulls the strings for Doncaster. He ruled the roost against Chesterfield on Saturday and he's a bit of a talisman for them in the middle of the park."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-v-doncaster-rovers-three-7812352?

WhiteJC

PREVIEW: Fulham v Rovers

Capital One Cup R3, Craven Cottage, 8pm.

Doncaster Rovers take to the road once again, looking to cause an upset in the third round of the Capital One Cup.

Fresh from their first home win of the season, Paul Dickov and his troops head to struggling Sky Bet Championship outfit Fulham looking to reach the fourth round of the League Cup for the first time in nine seasons.

Not since 2012 have Rovers reached the third round – a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Norwich – and, after scraping past York City in the first round and sailing past Watford in the second, a reunion with the Cottagers for the first time in more than 17 years beckoned.

The side's last meeting came in April 1997 at Belle Vue in the fourth tier. A shade under 3000 fans attended on Bawtry Road for the stalemate in which Rovers still boasted the likes of Darren Moore and Colin Cramb in their ranks.

In fact it was the latter who had seen red in the reverse fixture earlier in the season. Following Mike Conroy's 51st minute opener, the fiery Scot lost his cool in front of over 5,500 at Craven Cottage and was shown a straight red card.

Just 12 minutes after Cramb's early bath, Fulham had sealed the game courtesy of goals from Robbie Herrera and Richard Carpenter. The late Paul Birch pulled a consolation back for the visitors and remains the last Doncaster player to net against the Cottagers.

Last time out (19th April 1997):
DRFC  0
Fulham 0
Football League Division 3
Belle Vue
Attendance – 2920
DRFC – G O'Connor (C Warren, 90), L Warren, H Cunningham (A Fahy, 72), D Moore, I Gore, D Esdaille, J Schofield, M McDonald, M Pemberton, C Cramb, S Ireland
FFC - M Walton, M Lawrence, P Watson, N Cusack, D Cullip, M Blake, D Freeman, G Cockerill, M Conroy, R Carpenter, M Thomas (P Brooker, 73)

Head to head league results (in Fulham):
Rovers – 9
Fulham – 4
Draws – 4

Team News:
Rovers – Key men Rob Jones and Curtis Main are both likely to miss out. Harry Forrester could return from suspension.
Fulham – Shaun Hutchinson, Matt Smith and Adam Taggart will all be absent for the hosts.

Read more at http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/preview-fulham-v-rovers-1935718.aspx#8e8MzYYO1RUXAIfJ.99

WhiteJC

Birmingham away

The season starts here. After the chaos of the last... well it seems like forever, doesn't it, we can start to think about games on their merits. Birmingham away becomes Birmingham away, not another episode in Mike Gregg's Felix Bingo, not another excruciating exercise in demonstrating how far we've fallen. No, it feels like games are about to get winnable.

Birmingham's a nice fixture in this sense. They opened up with a defeat at Middlesbrough, beat Brighton 1-0 at home, drew 2-2 with Ipswich, then at Brentford (1-1), before being thumped 3-0 by Sunderland in the League Cup and 4-0 at Wigan in the league.

In September they've drawn with Leeds, lost at home to Sheffield Wednesday (Blues manager and friend of Fulham, Lee Clark: "We were the dominant team in the first half and then the second half things changed too dramatically for us.") and drawn away at Norwich, surrendering a 2-0 lead in the process (Clark: "there so many positives to take from this – we look a good team when we do things right. Today a mad five minutes cost us a win – but not many teams will come here and getting any sort of positive result.")

It kinds of sounds familiar: a biggish team that somehow less than itself at the moment and trying to draw optimism from a tricky situation. (It should be a good game, and if you are travelling to the match and need overnight accommodation in Birmingham, ibis hotels has a few affordable options.)

I'm expecting a tight encounter as Fulham move to solidify. Hopefully Kit Symons gets a few weeks to show what he can do.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/09/23/birmingham-away/?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath Takes To Facebook To Explain 'Cheese' Healing Method, Not Quite As Bonkers As It First Sounds

Any excuse to use this picture again

Felix Magath caused something of a dairyquake yesterday when it came to light that the former Fulham boss was keen to harness the "soothing effects of cheese" to help heal his players' injuries during his time in charge at Craven Cottage.

However, it seems that Magath's methods weren't and aren't quite as unorthodox as first thought, with the man himself taking to his official Facebook page to clarify his peculiar cheese treatment.

Magath explains that, in order to decrease swelling, he suggested an "old technique of wrapping the knee with quark" (cottage cheese), which is apparently a technique used by several prominent Olympic skiers in the past.

This from Wikipedia:

"In Switzerland, quark is recommended by some physiotherapists as an alternative to ice for treatment of swelling associated with sprains, etc.

"It can be cooled in a refrigerator and then applied to swollen tissues (enclosed in a plastic bag).

"The advantages over ice are that it does not get so cold, reducing risk of damage to treated tissue, but stays cooler longer."

Here's Magath's post in full (click to expand)...

English version
Dear Facebook Friends and Fans,
I wanted to take the time to write to you regarding recent reports and statements made by a former Fulham player Brede Hangeland. His portrayal of what was actually said, is so far from the truth, that it becomes laughable. He had an injury to the knee (inflammation) and I mentioned that he could try using an old technique of wrapping the knee with quark, which is used to decrease the inflammation. I would never tell a Doctor how he should manage the injury to a player, but it seems that this story has been wrongly told and blown completely out of context. I would like to make it clear that Hangeland´s statements are completely wrong and i must compliment the German Press, who always ask first before writing such nonsense.
It seems to me, that often players who are not performing on the pitch and are not in the spotlight, will make such ridiculous accusations. A world class player in the mold of Michael Ballack or Raul, would never ever make such statements, class speaks for itself.
I would also like to mention my apparent tough handling of my squad and staff. Steve Wigley a former employee and ex coach of Fulham and current coach of Notts Forest, who worked with me at Fulham stated recently, ´ I liked Felix, he was during my time with him, very good to me `
It is very important in my profession to be judged objectively, as i can imagine all of you would also expect. I have no problem with constructive criticism, but malicious gossip just goes too far in my opinion. And i will most certainly defend myself against a defamation of character, which is put out to damage my reputation.
Please feel free to send me an Email, i will be answering them on my Webpage shortly.
Thank you for you attention and support.
Regards.
Felix
www.magath.net
[email protected]
Twitter: @Magath_Fussball

Fair enough, Felix. Apologies where due, old bean.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fulham/199981/felix-magath-takes-to-facebook-to-explain-cheese-healing-method-not-quite-as-bonkers-as-it-first-sounds.html?

WhiteJC

Dickov Pre-Fulham

Gaffer unfazed by 'Premier League' side Fulham.

Scotsman Paul Dickov tonight takes his Doncaster Rovers side to Welshman Kit Symonds' Fulham in the third round of the League Cup – a stage Doncaster have not progressed beyond for close to a decade.

Dickov, who was captained by Symonds at Manchester City, spoke to the gathered media prior to the trip to the Capital and said that, despite Fulham's poor start to the season – which has incorporated the departure of Felix Magath – the Cottagers are, in essence, a Premier League outfit.

"Fulham are having a difficult time of it at the moment and its there for everyone to see but they've got some Premier League players at their disposal and we know we've got an almighty job on our hands when we go there," commented Dickov.

"Am I going to sit here and tell you that we're going to win it [the competition]? Probably not but it would be nice to progress for plenty of reasons from confidence to the financial benefits it provides."

Dickov was the architect of Oldham's recent FA Cup run which saw them portrayed as giant-killers when they defeated Liverpool and the 41 year old is on the hunt for more big name scalps.

"It [Watford] was an opportunity for me to tell them to go out and play. We didn't concentrate on them and I told the players to show everybody how good they are against good players, took the shackles off and away we go.

"They [the players] have all got aspirations to play at a higher level, or a bigger club if they're being honest and earn more money so go and show people. I'll single out Matt Smith, who was in non league, came through at Oldham where he scored two goals against Liverpool, goes to Leeds and a year later is a million pound player now at Fulham, all off the back of a couple of cup performances," said Dickov.

Rovers secured their first home win of the campaign on Saturday when they defeated Chesterfield 3-2 at the Keepmoat Stadium, but the South Yorkshire side will now have four games on the road (Fulham – League Cup, Walsall and Scunthorpe – League, Burton – JPT).

"It's early doors and it's important that we calm down whether you win, lose or draw, but still focus on winning games because one win can make such a difference.

"It will take teams time to settle down and get that consistency. We know we're not too far away but at the same time we know that we're more than capable of picking up wins.

"We felt that we'd let the home fans down in the previous home game and there was a massive desire to put that right. Now we've got that elusive home win under our belts, I don't see any reason why we can't progress from here," finished Dickov.

Read more at http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/dickov-pre-fulham-1935917.aspx#bFOC1rq4qcXCOMAd.99

WhiteJC

Kit's Doncaster Preview

Kit Symons has pledged to field a strong XI in Tuesday evening's Capital One Cup meeting with Doncaster Rovers.

Our Caretaker Manager was part of a giant-killing side on more than one occasion during his time as a player at Craven Cottage, and so he has no intention of taking the Sky Bet League One outfit for granted.

"I'm not a big believer in too much change," he said with regards to team selection. "I will certainly show the cup the respect it deserves and put out a very strong side, without a doubt. I've had some great games at Craven Cottage in the League Cup myself under the lights.

"It will be a difficult game. Paul Dickov's their manager who I used to play with at Man City so he's someone I know very well.

"He'll set his team up to be organised and very hard to break down so it'll be another tough game for us again. The games are coming thick and fast – I'm looking forward to it and I can't wait now for Tuesday night."

In the 1999/00 campaign, Fulham secured a couple of high profile scalps in this very competition, and when asked for his favourite cup memory, Symons was steadfast in his response.

"Tottenham," he replied. "We beat Spurs here when we were in Division One. Geoff [Horsfield] gave Sol Campbell a torrid time, and I think Wayne Collins scored if I remember. It was brilliant.

"Southampton was another one I remember here. We've had some brilliant times – this is going back years and years now. But Craven Cottage for a mid-week game in the cup is brilliant."

The Whites were backed by a vocal home crowd in Saturday's defeat by Blackburn Rovers, and when it was suggested that he needs the fans to maintain that support, Symons stated: "Absolutely, but they will, I've got absolutely no doubt about that at all.

"They were tremendous on Saturday and if goodwill won football games we would have won 5-0 against Blackburn.

"Unfortunately it's not just down to that but that makes a big difference and the support that I've received personally and that the crowd gave the players on Saturday was brilliant.

"The players can't ask for anymore than that and I've not got a doubt in my mind that they'll stay with us now for the rest of the season."

Symons has made no secret of his desire to secure the Manager's job on a full-time basis, and he's well aware that his chances will be improved if he can secure as many wins as possible during his current tenure – something he's hoping to begin doing against Doncaster.

He said: "Starting to get results is the key and that's ultimately, I'm sure, what my chances of getting the job will be strongly linked to. We need to start getting wins sooner rather than later, there's no hiding that.

"Winning football games breeds confidence so that's what we need to do on Tuesday night."

Tickets will be available to purchase on the gate this evening - cash only - priced at £15 adults and from £5 juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/23/kits-doncaster-preview?

WhiteJC

The Aussie From Aberdeen

Cameron Burgess has done more travelling by the age of 18 than most people will do in a lifetime. Now, though, he has no intentions of going anywhere.

After moving from Scotland to Perth around eight years ago due to his parents' work commitments, the defender returned to these shores at the age of 16 to join Fulham.

Burgess' second year in the Fulham Academy was when he really made a name for himself, forging a promising partnership at the heart of the Under-18s defence alongside Liam Donnelly.

Such was his progression that he found himself heavily involved in the First Team set-up this pre-season. And he was subsequently named in the starting XI for the opening day trip to Ipswich Town, tasked with sitting in front of the back four.

"I was a little bit surprised to even be starting," he tells Tuesday's official matchday programme. "It was a bit of a shock but you've got to take your opportunity when it arrives. You've got to take playing anywhere, as long as you're playing games, and I thought it went alright.

"I was pretty pleased with how I did considering I was playing in a different position. Emmo [Emerson Hyndman] had a really good game - personally I thought he was the best player on the pitch - but playing out of position from where I usually play, I was pretty happy with how I did."

He went on to play every minute of the Whites' first four games of the new campaign, but admits the lack of results made the experience bittersweet, stating: "I've been delighted to have been involved as much as I have been, but results haven't been the best up to now. But it's not something we can't turn round.

"There's way too much quality for us to be where we are in the league and there's no reason whatsoever why we can't be near the top come the end of the season. It's all about building relationships with each other and keeping a positive attitude. That's what we've got to do and that's what we have been doing. We've just got to keep that up.

"From a personal point of view for me, first and foremost, I just want to keep improving. Playing with the players we've got really does help, with all the experience and quality we've got there. Then hopefully I can try and get as much game time as I can."

To read the full interview with Burgess, get your hands on a copy of the special edition matchday programme for the Capital One Cup Third Round tie against Doncaster Rovers on Tuesday.

Other exclusive highlights in the only matchday magazine that matters - which is also available to download digitally from 12pm on Tuesday - are:

Caretaker Manager Kit Symons reflects on his first game in charge
Kay Voser answers your questions via our social media channels
We take a look at an intriguing League Cup subplot for Fulham in the 1976/77 season
Whites legend Les Strong brings you his latest programme column
Tim Hoogland's career to date is brought to life in comic form
Academy goalkeeper Magnus Norman is profiled
And former Doncaster and Fulham man Rufus Brevett looks back on his time at both clubs

Priced £3, the 68-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Fans can also save money by taking out a season subscription. Head here for more details.

The programme is also available as an app with added video content from 12pm on Tuesday, so whether you're at home or away, you need never be without it on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Apple's Newsstand. The programme is also available via the Pocketmags app on Kindle Fire and Blackberry Playbook. You can subscribe for the whole season for the digital edition for just £24.99 or buy a single issue for £1.99.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/23/the-aussie-from-aberdeen?

WhiteJC

Turkish legend linked with Fulham manager's job

Tugay Kerimoğlu has been linked with the vacant Fulham managerial role according to SporX.

Tugay was assistant manager at Galatasaray under Gheorghe Hagi and Roberto Mancini, between 2010 and 2014.

The former Turkish international is familiar with the Premier League, spending nine years at Blackburn Rovers.

The 44-year-old scored 13 goals in 294 appearances for Rovers until his retirement in 2009

Tugay was recently in England exploring his options and had an interview with the Lancashire Telegraph where he admitted he missed playing in England.

"I played here for eight years and I miss it a lot," Tugay said.

Tugay also spent two-seasons with Scottish giants Glasgow Rangers and is fluent in English.

The 94-times capped Turkey international, featured in the Crescent-Stars unprecedented third-place finish at the 2002 World Cup as well as the semi-final finish in Euro 2008.

Felix Magath was sacked last week with Fulham at the bottom of the Championship.

Gianfranco Zola, Chris Hughton, Tim Sherwood, Steve Clarke and caretaker Kit Symons are also in contention for the Fulham job.

Tugay has also been linked with the Cardiff City managerial position.

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=6624

WhiteJC

Fulham Without Hutchinson

Fulham will have an issue in the heart of their defense for their match with Birmingham this weekend.

Fulham will be without their centre back Sam Hutchinson for their visit to St Andrews after the defender was dismissed in their last game against Blackburn.

The suspension will last for the next three games as it was a straight red card.

In other Fulham news it would appear Bryan Ruiz is being brought back out of the cold at the London club and may start against Birmingham on Saturday.

Adam Taggart remains injured and will be unavailable for the weekend game.

Birmingham entertain a side struggling for form and without a win in eight. Although the side did manage a spirited defeat at the hands of Blackburn with just ten men.

Read more: http://www.birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=371399#ixzz3E8vh2Yw3

WhiteJC

Next Up: Doncaster

Fulham and Doncaster Rovers go head-to-head for the first time in more than 17 years when they meet in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday.

The opposition

Following relegation to Sky Bet League One last season, Rovers were hoping to be one of the main challengers for promotion this term, but they have struggled for consistency to date.

Despite getting off to the perfect start with a 3-0 victory away at Yeovil Town, they then went on to secure just one more win from their next six league matches, before eventually grabbing a first home win of the season against Chesterfield last time out.

Their place in Tuesday's Third Round tie at Craven Cottage was earned following a hard-fought late victory at York City, before disposing of Watford at Vicarage Road in the previous round.

Manager Paul Dickov was last at the Cottage in August 2008 as part of the Leicester City side that we knocked out of this same competition. Dickov actually got himself on the scoresheet to cancel out Zoltan Gera's opener, before Andy King's goal turned the tie on its head.

Late efforts from Jimmy Bullard and Danny Murphy sent the Whites through to the next round with a 3-2 win, though.

Team news

Nathan Tyson picked up a knock on Saturday but is expected to be fit to feature on Tuesday, although the game comes too soon for fellow striker Curtis Main. Key defender Rob Jones is back in light training but is still expected to miss out, although midfielder Harry Forrester is available after serving a suspension.

Inside the camp

Dickov wants his side to play with the same freedom against Fulham that they showed in the previous round at Watford.

Rovers outplayed the Championship side a month ago to set up the meeting with the Whites, and Dickov is keen for a similar showing on Tuesday night.

"It [Watford] was an opportunity for me to tell them to go out and play," he said. "We didn't concentrate on them and I told the players to show everybody how good they are against good players, took the shackles off and away we go.

"Am I going to sit here and tell you that we're going to win it [the competition]? Probably not but it would be nice to progress for plenty of reasons from confidence to the financial benefits it provides.

"Fulham are having a difficult time of it at the moment and it's there for everyone to see but they've got some Premier League players at their disposal and we know we've got an almighty job on our hands when we go there."

Player to watch

Nathan Tyson: When he arrived at Doncaster this summer, striker Nathan Tyson had not previously scored a competitive goal since grabbing the winner for Derby County in a 3-2 win over Birmingham City in November 2012. Now, though, he appears to have confidence running through his veins once again having notched three times already this season. He made his name as a youngster at Wycombe Wanderers when he scored 39 times in 68 league matches, prompting a big money move to Nottingham Forest. The goals weren't quite so free-flowing at his new club, but he still racked up 40 strikes during his five years at the City Ground. Now 32, Tyson is looking to provide the goals to get Doncaster back into the second tier.

Marathonbet match odds

Fulham: 4/5

Draw: 29/10

Doncaster: 19/5

Tickets will be available to purchase on the gate this evening - cash only - priced at £15 adults and from £5 juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/23/next-up-doncaster?

WhiteJC

Five-way battle for Fulham hotseat

Former Chelsea favourite in the frame for Craven Cottage post

Gianfranco Zola has emerged as a shock candidate to become the next Fulham boss.

The Italian has been out of work since leaving Watford in December but is believed to be under consideration to succeed Felix Magath, who was axed last week following a disastrous start to the season.

Other names in the frame include former Norwich City manager Chris Hughton, Steve Clarke and Tim Sherwood, while caretaker boss Kit Symons is also on the shortlist.

Fulham chairman Shahid Khan has vowed to carry out an 'exhaustive' search to find the right man to change the club's fortunes, with the Whites bottom of the Championship after taking just a point from their first eight games.

Symons will get another chance to stake a claim for the post on a permanent basis when the Cottagers take on Doncaster Rovers in the Capital One Cup this evening.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/five-way-battle-for-fulham-hotseat-7817355?

WhiteJC

Kit Symons must restore unity to piece a shattered Fulham back together after the departure of Felix Magath

The torment of the last few months is over for Fulham fans as Felix Magath has been relieved of his duties at the club.

And while masochist statements like this one are perhaps thrown around too flippantly these days, this one almost doesn't do Magath's case justice.

For he destroyed Fulham from the inside out, casting aside players who didn't adhere to his primitive methods in his arrogant quest for perfection.

The irony however is that unlike other headstrong managers, Magath had absolutely no justification for his manner – no evidence of ability apparent in any area of Fulham's game.

And as a result, it will take weeks before a level of normality is restored at the club.

Stories that emerged this week since the manager's dismissal are outrageous. From insisting cheese be used in place of modern medicine to handing out exorbitant fines to youth players, Magath is entirely to blame for Fulham's woeful league standing.

This weekend BBC Sport pundits laughed as they discussed the caricature-like goings-on that occurred at Fulham.

Joining them on the panel was former captain Danny Murphy who appeared somewhat more thoughtful in the midst of adversity – his face stern, his opinions cutting and his overall message, one of sadness.

How was it the case this man was given the opportunity to destroy a football team in such a manner?

To be able to dispose of players like Brede Hangeland, Steve Sidwell and David Stockdale – servants to the team who meant more to Fulham fans than the contents of any swanky C.V. Magath presented to Shahid Khan – without a reason.

Murphy, as bewildered as the rest of the fans, portrayed the one thing that has been seriously lacking at Fulham of late – passion, care and most importantly, love.

Magath ripped the soul from Fulham and it is only now that he has departed can the club begin to restore its traditions.

Appointing Kit Symons is a great way to start. An ex-player and familiar face among the faithful, Symons was part of the team that got promoted from the Championship 13-years-ago.

And while he isn't necessarily the final answer to the problem, his appointment has already worked wonders in helping rediscover some positivity at the Cottage.

Brede Hangeland, a player previously banished from the club, delighted fans in the Hammersmith End in this weekend's game against Blackburn Rovers by sitting alongside them.

On Twitter, other former players also echoed this sentiment. Erik Nevland tweeted: "Great to see that there is a positive feeling around Fulham FC again. The club and fans deserve that."

But the return of complete positivity is still subject to many things needing to go right. There's more to it than just finding that winning formula.

The next permanent appointment could hinder this initial positivity as quickly as it returned, should Shahid Khan get it wrong again.

For now however, Symons has a huge job ahead of him, piecing together a group of fragmented players lacking in guidance, support and confidence.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/23/kit-symons-must-restore-unity-to-piece-a-shattered-fulham-back-together-after-the-departure-of-felix-magath-4878406/?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath was ludicrous but Fulham are now paying for mistakes they made two years ago - Danny Murphy
Former captain accuses his old bosses of starting the decline and fall at Craven Cottage.

Bad to worse: Fulham pair Ross MCormack and Scott Parker feel dejected after conceded another goal at Nottingham Forest

Felix Magath is instantly associated with the recent decay at Fulham but former skipper Danny Murphy believes there were signs of rot at Craven Cottage long before the German's appointment in February.

Magath was sacked last week after a disastrous seven months; a period that saw the club spiral from a struggling Premier League side to a team stuck firmly at the bottom of the Championship.

While Murphy was among those pleased to see the back of Magath, the retired midfielder says there was trouble afoot when he was released two years ago. Fulham, then under the ownership of Mohamed Fayed and with Martin Jol as manager, had finished ninth in the Premier League but a summer exodus sparked a freefall.

"It goes back a lot further than Felix Magath," Murphy said. "He's taken a hammering, and rightly so, because what he's done has been ludicrous but the problems started the summer I left.

"Clint Dempsey, Mousa Dembele, Andy Johnson, Bobby Zamora, Zoltan Gera and Dickson Etuhu all left. That's half a dozen players — one of whom was top goalscorer for four years.

"They didn't offer him a new contract, which he'd asked for, until the February and he'd already scored 20 goals. Andy Johnson was a valuable asset and a brilliant character.

"I was the captain and they tried to reduce what was already an average wage. The way they treated us was not far off a disgrace.

"Was it the manager? Was it the chief exec? Was it someone above? We don't know. You make decisions together and they made those choices.

"They never needed to lose Clint, AJ or myself. Dimitar Berbatov was their only marquee signing, who was great for about four months. I'm not suggesting you keep the same team forever but to change it so radically and so quickly was always going to be negative. I made that known at the time."

Fayed sold his club to Shahid Khan the following summer but there was no bright new dawn, with Jol sacked before Christmas, Rene Meulensteen in and out within two months to be replaced by Magath, who oversaw the club's drop into the Championship.

There was another cull of players this summer, with club captain Brede Hangeland among those shown the door, having found out about his release via email.

It may seem like an unconventional way to part with one of Craven Cottage's most popular players but —  like issuing a remedy of cheese soaked in alcohol for a thigh injury — Magath was not one to do things by the book.

"As I said, it started long before Felix but he had the chance to fuse a squad ready for the Championship; keep some players and let some go," said Murphy. "What he did was to allow an exodus of players. I think some of them were desperate to get out because of the regime and the crazy ways he was running the place.

"One story that springs to mind —much more significant than using cheese to fix an injury — is training for two-and-a-half hours on a Friday afternoon, the day before you play Stoke in a game you've got to win to stay in the Premier League. The lads were dead on their feet before half time.

"Ideas like that can't be dressed up as anything other than crazy. The lads just couldn't adapt to his ways. We can smile at the stories now but he's part of a bigger picture that has put the club in this predicament."

Caretaker boss Kit Symons will be in charge of the team again tonight as Fulham host Doncaster in the third round of the Capital One Cup.

Whoever takes over will face a huge rebuilding job when he inherits the damaged squad. Murphy is among those being linked with the job, although the 37-year-old has not yet had any contact with the club.

"I think the hierarchy will speak to lots of people. I don't think they're going to rush it. They need to make an informed decision because whatever formula they've used to recruit managers recently has failed miserably.

"It's a shame that it's come to this. It used to be a good place for people to play and for young lads to learn. Now it's just trouble, trauma and stress."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/felix-magath-was-ludicrous-but-fulham-are-now-paying-for-mistakes-they-made-two-years-ago--danny-murphy-9750880.html

WhiteJC

BREAKING: Manchester United enter talks with Arsenal target

Manchester United have opened talks with Fulham regarding a summer move for their 17-year-old prodigy Patrick Roberts, according to FLW sources.

Negotiations regarding a potential deal next summer are being discussed, however FLW understands that talks are at a very early stage.

Manchester United are among a host of clubs vying for the signature of the Fulham starlet.

The winger who can also operate as a striker currently has a contract that lasts until 2016, however the Red Devils are eager to sign the player next summer.

The 17-year-old played for Fulham in the Premier League during the latter stages of last season, and made a string of impressive performances.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/breaking-manchester-united-enter-talks-with-arsenal-target/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Doncaster COC Preview

Tonight, in round three of the Capital One Cup, there`s brief respite from our Championship plight when we welcome Doncaster Rovers.

The League One side will be looking to capitalize on our current plight by producing a cup giant-killing down at Craven Cottage.

Hopefully that will not be the case and Fulham, after winning in the previous round at Brentford, will be looking towards this competition as a way in which team spirit and confidence can be increased.

Kit Symons in his second game in charge, after losing to Blackburn on Saturday by the narrowest of margins, will be hoping that he can get his first win in charge, thereby boosting his chances of landing the job on a permanent basis.

With climbing the Championship table the main priority, it`ll be interesting to see the starting eleven Kit Symons selects.

With attendances normally on the low side for the Capital One Cup, it`ll also be interesting to see how many turn up for this tie, but if you are at a loose end tonight then we urge you to get down to Craven Cottage and cheer the team on, they certainly need your support, kick-off is a t20:00 hours!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=371409#ixzz3E8xj4bSI

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

There's only one place to start in my column this week, and that's the managerial change. I was delighted to see Kit Symons appointed Caretaker Manager last week. Before the game against Blackburn there was just so much anticipation for it – people were looking forward to it. Everyone just wants him to do well so fingers crossed he does enough to get the job. He's Fulham through and through and he deserves it.

I said all along that the new Manager should be someone who knows the Club, someone who's got an affinity with the Club, who knows the traditions, who knows what it's all about, and someone who knows the league as well. I've said before that I think we lack that little bit of experience in the team just to help these young kids along. Kit ticks all those boxes so if it was up to me I'd definitely go with him.

The players that helped me along in my career, the ones that when they spoke you took note and listened to, were the likes of Chris Coleman, now a manager, Lee Clark, now a manager and Kit Symons, been a coach for a while and deserves his chance at being a manager. These are the players that when they spoke, everyone paid attention. Kit was, along with Cookie and Clarky, one of the players who helped me along in my career when I was a youngster. He always spoke to me during games, showed me how to be a professional, and told me what to do and what not to do. So back then you could definitely see him being a manager in the future.

Obviously the Blackburn game didn't give us the result we wanted, and I think that's largely down to Shaun Hutchinson's red card. I was commentating on the game and it was one of those where he was so upset with his poor touch that he wanted to win the ball back and he was overexcited and then, to be honest, it was a really dangerous challenge. He didn't mean to hurt him in any way, it was just because he had that bad touch and tried to retrieve the ball. Really and truly, that cost us, because there was nothing in the game. Obviously they've got Jordan Rhodes up front who scored the winner, but he didn't really do too much during the game – he pounced on one chance and scored, and that's what good goalscorers do.

I thought in the first half we didn't have enough runners. There were a lot of people getting the ball, playing it five yards, but we didn't have anyone running in behind, we didn't have anyone penetrating, getting in behind their defence, which was disappointing. But the second half, we had people do that. We had Hugo Rodallega get through a couple of times and create a few chances, so I'd like to see us maybe have a few more midfield runners to try and get in behind teams' backlines and stretch the defence and then maybe create a few more chances.

We're hosting Doncaster in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday evening and I'd like to see Kit play a strong side and not tinker about too much. Whoever does play, they've definitely got the opportunity to keep the shirt. Apart from Scotty Parker – who I thought had a fantastic game against Blackburn – there's not one player who you'd say is a guaranteed starter, in my opinion. So there's a chance for the lads who have maybe not been playing to stake a claim and try and earn the shirt, and keep it.

It's back to league matters after that with a trip to Birmingham, and that's going to be a difficult game. I went to watch them against Leeds a couple of weekends ago; they've got two good strikers in Clayton Donaldson and Wes Thomas, who scored the goal against Leeds, who've got pace and a goal threat. They were unlucky on the day; it was 1-1 but they should have had a penalty, so it's going to be a tough, tough fixture for us. But it's the Championship – they're all going to be tough fixtures. Clarky's in charge there and I went and saw him after the game – he was obviously upset they didn't get the penalty, but they're a very organised team. They went away to Norwich in their last game and that's not an easy place to go but they got a draw.

I think we just need that win – it does worry me the longer and longer it goes without a win, but now I think the boys will respond to Kit. They all like Kit and they all seem happy, so there's no excuses now. Kit's a top guy, he's been a coach for a long time, he's earned his chance so hopefully he'll rally the boys and go to St Andrew's and get a victory.

Tickets will be available to purchase on the gate for the Doncaster game - cash only - priced at £15 adults and from £5 juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/23/the-sean-davis-column?