watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Talking tactics

Started by FinFFC, September 29, 2014, 09:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinFFC

What was our formation last game? To my understanding, it was some sort of 4-4-2 flat when we were defending and then changed to diamond when we had the ball. Ruiz and LVC were the "wingers". Ruiz moved then as the AMC in the diamond, Hyndman became DMC(?) and Parker/LVC were the MC's.

If I'm right with what I stated above, I have to say I don't really like the solution there. I would rather keep the midfield four all the time in the diamond formation. Yes, that would be vulnerable at the flanks, but I think that could be countered with proper defending. Our fullbacks have to be able to deal with opposition wingers. Now, the problem comes if their fullbacks join the attack, but in these situations our centeal midfileders or the AMC have to be aware of this and offer the suport for the fullback (other midfielders then filling in the covering players position).

Now it may seem that this type of tinkering changes nothing, but I beg to disagree. Our problem in the first half was that we were too flat while going forward. While we were able to pass it around nicely in small triangles every now and then, we weren't able to penetrate their defence too well. I think that at least part of that problem was the fact that our "wingers" were adjusting themselves to our attacking formation and it took too much time.

But what if the position of our midfield four was pretty close to the diamond when we get the ball? I think the first move for our MC's should be to spread towards wings, to create space for Hyndman (DMC) and Ruiz (AMC) to pick up the ball from our back four (of course the ball wouldn't always be there when we get it, but these type of tactics are more meaningful, when you consider "slow attacks" in the first place).

Why would we want our MC's to move towards wings? Inwould like them to make either a run forward to offer outlets for DMC or AMC , or back to the middle in order to open the wing for overlapping fullback. Most importantly, they would at least create some movement, which I think our attacks are simply lacking too often.

Now, it is of course debatable, should we be playing even with this narrow diamond, or employ proper wimgers. To me, we are able to field our best eleven with this diamond. Especially so, if we want to have 2 strikers. If you don't want Ruiz, he can always be replaced by David (or Eisfeld). If you want to have more steel in our midfield, replace Hyndman or LVC with Hoogland as DMC and put Voser at RB.

And thanks, if you actually read this way too long "stream of thoughts"-type-of-post to this last sentence.  9739.gif

Forever Fulham