watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Political correctness - Fulham related eventually

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, October 01, 2014, 02:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulham Joe

Just read my post back, and one of my four letter words, containing the letters T.W.T.A in a different order, has not got past the censor.
Political correctness, don't you just [WORD CENSORED BY YOUR FRIENDLY MOD SQUAD] love it?

Logicalman

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 01, 2014, 01:16:14 PM

Of course.

The sacred right to offend and insult anyone on the basis of their race, gender or sexuality. If they have feelings then so much the better if they're hurt.

A noble cause indeed.

There is no sacred right or otherwise. You know as well as many on this MB that nothing is so certain and determined. I would ask you, why can a black person use a certain word but a white person not? Is it simply because of the perceived racism associated with it? Should it not have something to do with intent? I can see it on TV every night, but I don't see demonstrations in the streets, an uprising of violence, or even protests to the TV companies.

Can anyone honestly say that they have not said something in the past year that  could be perceived as politically incorrect? I cannot, but that's because I am a product of where and at what time in the world I grew up. That's not to say I can bulldoze through life doing what I want, but it does mean that we all need to have some level of tolerance. In your sphere of experience you have surely seen that.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Burt

Quote from: Fulham Joe on October 01, 2014, 01:17:03 PM
Just read my post back, and one of my four letter words, containing the letters T.W.T.A in a different order, has not got past the censor.
Political correctness, don't you just [WORD CENSORED BY YOUR FRIENDLY MOD SQUAD] love it?

Had a go at this one too  :005:

TonyGilroy

I don't see any problem in trying not to upset people.

Some people get upset too easily and sometimes we say things that we perhaps shouldn't but the basic point of PC is to treat people with respect and I don't understand those who seem to be against that as a point of principle.

FFC1987

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 01, 2014, 01:30:58 PM

Some people get upset too easily and sometimes we say things that we perhaps shouldn't but the basic point of PC is to treat people with respect and I don't understand those who seem to be against that as a point of principle.

Because it becomes distorted where almost every word will eventually offend someone regardless of the context on those words. It's also easily manipulated today for better and worse!

absent cottager

Quote from: NorfolkJim on October 01, 2014, 11:04:25 AM
As an obese person - I don't much care for the "you fat B'stard" chants (Just in case they are aimed at me) and the answer to "Who ate all the pies" is me - and a number of other people.
I'm not even sure why I've written this as I'm currently signed off work with stress related depression so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, saying or why - A state that has got me into a lot of trouble before so I'm hiding up in the house feeling lost

Are you serious? If so sorry to hear your troubles! Hope you can find some light in the dark soon...Have you seen documentary;  fat, sick, and nearly dead?
It's readily available online, might help....

Rupert

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 01, 2014, 01:34:09 PM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 01, 2014, 01:30:58 PM

Because it becomes distorted where almost every word will eventually offend someone regardless of the context on those words. It's also easily manipulated today for better and worse!

A lesson from history-
In 1642 the King, Charles I, and his Parliament fell out with eachother, with lots of squabbling and the like carrying on until 1651, by which time roughly 2.5% of the population of the kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland had been killed. By comparison, the First and Second World Wars saw roughly 1.2% and 1.1% of the population of the UK perish.
Both sides sought to demonise eachother from an early stage. Parliament soldiers were termed "cropheads" or "roundheads", both insulting terms aimed at their (usually) wealthy officers since only poor apprentices had their hair cut close to the head, and a sign of someone's wealth was the length of their hair. Such was the hurt this insult caused in that society that Oliver Cromwell was moved to threaten to dismiss from his service any soldier who he caught calling a fellow Parliamentarian soldier a "Roundhead".

The royalists were called "cavaliers" by their enemies. This was a corruption of the Spanish word for cavalryman. The Spanish were Catholic, disliked by the protestant English, and also rivals for the new colonies springing up in the new world. Rather than be stung by this insult, the Royalists embraced it, turning "Cavalier" into a term of endearment, and the insult lost its power.

I do worry, with people throwing words like "racist" around at anyone who says anything they find dislikable, that something similar could happen. I understand where Tony is coming from, how some people can almost casually insult a whole section of the population and then be surprised when that section protests. I also understand the puzzlement caused by a section of the population claiming that they can use a word but others can not. That does smack of racism, to me.
I think we all need to be a little bit more aware of what we are saying, and to who, but we may also need to show more empathy with those we perceive as insulting us.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

TonyGilroy

Your last sentence nails it.

My beef is with those who want the right to insult not with those who sometimes do so unwittingly.

RidgeRider

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 01, 2014, 02:14:59 PM

My beef is with those who want the right to insult not with those who sometimes do so unwittingly.

Exactly

Fulham Joe

So a serious question.
Is it only me who finds it beyond (word that would definitely be censored) ridiculous, that the word tw@t is censored to appear as twit?

jarv

Norfolk Jim, someone beat me to it, are you serious?  If so, you have a lot of friends on here. Last year my wife and a very close friend died in the same week, I posted and got a LOT of really uplifting responses. Before anyone says, not FoF related, I am not suggesting we turn this into an agony aunt column. However, whenever someone has a genuine issue, I have read a lot of good supportive responses with advice worth taking on many subjects.

NorfolkJim

Afraid so. It's something I survived before, some years back, and I'll survive it again.
Once I felt that I needed to step out in front of the bus I knew it was time to get along to the Docs again - in fact - work insisted that I go.

But this isnt Political Correct or Fulham related as such and it is as said, not an agony aunt column. In the past I found the kindness of strangers helpful on a different forum - the problem with forums is not everyone is kind - some are cruel to the afflicted.

My thanks for even asking if I was serious.

Twig

Quote from: Fulham Joe on October 01, 2014, 03:21:54 PM
So a serious question.
Is it only me who finds it beyond (word that would definitely be censored) ridiculous, that the word tw@t is censored to appear as twit?

It is clearly offensive and I for one would not dream of using it.

sunburywhite

The PC brigade are the same people who said school children should not be competing against each other as some one would lose and have their feelings hurt. What a load of twaddle

This idea of not competing was embraced by Jol and Magarth
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

domprague

NorfolkJim
I've been where you are and it is horrible. (I don't mean Norfolk). If you've had it before then you will know that it is a case of taking each day or part of a day as it comes and trying to get through that.

Quote from: NorfolkJim on October 01, 2014, 04:34:54 PM
Afraid so. It's something I survived before, some years back, and I'll survive it again.
Once I felt that I needed to step out in front of the bus I knew it was time to get along to the Docs again - in fact - work insisted that I go.

But this isnt Political Correct or Fulham related as such and it is as said, not an agony aunt column. In the past I found the kindness of strangers helpful on a different forum - the problem with forums is not everyone is kind - some are cruel to the afflicted.

My thanks for even asking if I was serious.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Lighthouse

Not sure how feeling suicidal and political correctness have been mixed up. Political correctness is a term I use when we find insult and injury where none was intended. This doesn't mean it isn't in retrospect wrong to enjoy The Tar Baby as a story or collect golliwogs from Jam Jars. It simply means we shouldn't feel guilty that times have changed.

However we become lost when we start finding insult in anything said. What we need to do is simply not insult people for being other than perfect like we are. In the same way we should try and stop seeing insults were none were intended.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Berserker

I honestly believe that all though I can't change the whole world at least I can try and change a person's world by being kind. I believe this is my purpose in life.
I must admit though I do suffer from foot in mouth disease,  and sometimes say something accidently that comes across in the wrong way but never mean it in a horrible way. There are out and out nasty people and this is what political correctness is aimed at, but sometimes people say things that come out in a different way than how they intended, and it can be taken in the wrong way, and then that's when political correctness can be deemed to be a bit over the top.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Berserker on October 01, 2014, 05:27:38 PM
I honestly believe that all though I can't change the whole world at least I can try and change a person's world by being kind. I believe this is my purpose in life.
I must admit though I do suffer from foot in mouth disease,  and sometimes say something accidently that comes across in the wrong way but never mean it in a horrible way. There are out and out nasty people and this is what political correctnesd is aimed at, but sometimes people say things that come out in a different way than how they intended, and it can be taken in the wrong way, and then that's when political correctness can be deemed to be a bit over the top.

Where I work in the south side of Richmond, the area close by is 'ghetto'  3/4 drug related murders a week etc.etc.  there's no other way to describe it or call it.

There is one word I hate and would normally never use it, but have to say it as it's in context.    ......Nigger

It stinks of a bad and cruel time of slavery.
Thank goodness for William Wilberforce

We use quite a lot of casual labor, many of them coloured guys.
When they meet people they know quite often they say  "Hi, Nigger Bro, how you hanging" or similar.

So how come they can say it to each other but if a white, yellow, pink or striped person uses the word, even in reference, dickheads like 'Rev' Jesse Jackson and the despot 'Rev' Al Sharpton, the two "Race Hustlers" of the US are all over it like a rash.  You may have seen them over there on TV agitating in Ferguson recently.
These guys are ones that say things like "Black people haven't got a chance in life"
Go tell that to the President, the current Attorney General (another crap stirrer)
Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Hudson, Diana Ross (and an endless list of other black musicians -  anyone remember Motown)
The great Blues music from Chuck Berry, Sonny Boy Williamson et al, covered by a plethora of musicians around the globe.  Have a listen to the Stones very first album.
Bolt and numerous other colored athletes.
With time I could probably list 500 people that have been successful.

Coloured people are more racist to each other than most white people are
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Jonaldiniho 88

I am going to sit firmly on the fence on this one but still have an opinion or two.
  This has been sparked, I believe by a joke about the Irish, women, men suffering from erectile disfunction and whatever else you want to be offended by. I really feel the conversation was hijacked by people on either side of this PC debate.
  Words can hurt, and even more so actions can do a lot more to segregate human beings (which is what we all are at the end of the day). I think offensive words are only a matter of context. For example; r*tard and spastic were never words designed to offend but a word in which you described a debility. They now are offensive and I wouldn't dream of using either to describe anyone with those disabilities. However give it ten years and learning disorder or mentally challenged will be unacceptable and be deemed to be offensive.
  If you are easily offended then why is that? If you feel you can use any word because it's your right why do you feel that?
  I think the problem isn't with the extremes of either as they are too far gone to change, but those in the grey area that continue in bickering and self rightsinouses (apologies for murdering English with that spelling). Wake up and stop fighting. The abuse people get on here for comments that for a very middle of the road guy aren't offensive or even intended to be so staggers me. The replies from the other side come across equally staggering. We won't all agree but if you want to discuss these issues do it somewhere else. This is the last post I will ever make on this, on this board as it is contentious and irrelavent to fulham fc.
  However anyone who wants to discuss the Israel and gaza conflict start another contentious non fulham related thread and see how many people bite.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 01, 2014, 02:43:13 AM
I would like to humbly apologize for not normally 'doing' political correctness which of course is not politically correct.
But I do get fed up (only a little bit of course) in being told what I can and can't say, how to say it and to whom.

an example: (and I'm sorry now for upsetting anyone, I don't mean to) but you can't say blackboard in schools now.
Why not, that's what they are, or were.  It's not racist, I think it's racist (and I stand corrected) only because the
politically correct people point it out and make it an issue. No one sits at the back of the class giggling.
Naughty me

Before I go any further I have to point out that I am not racist, my multinational staff will point out that when they
come in for their pay checks, if I say "No pay this week for Puerto Ricans, Chinese, Hunchbacks, Dwarfs (oops sorry
they're 'little people') or bald people (smack my hand, they're follickley challenged) gays, lesbians, crossdressers or
transsexuals" (oops LGBT minorities)  they know I'm only joking.
I'm sorry but little people make a nice living out of being small;
It's almost impossible to watch a movie or show without an LGBT character in it (most recently Orphan Black)
I've got absolutely nothing against any of them, just leave me alone and don't thrust it down my throat (metaphorically speaking
of course) and if I don't like any minority that's my priority isn't it ?  (If it isn't I apologize again)

Now, what's this got to do with Fulham I feel you asking (if not I'm sorry)  If you don't like this thread, either stop before
you get this far, which of course you can't have done because you got this far.

I was pestered every night by a telemarketer and got so fed up I said "Do you mind phoning back I'm in the middle of
m***ur*****g"  They never phoned again and I was waiting for a policeman to knock on my door which is politically
correct because the housing association wouldn't let me paint it lime green.

Back to Fulham, this board is getting more politically correct, not because of the mods, we know the rules and a lot of us
push them to the limit, for which I apologize  :0)
But there are people who 'pull you up' if you make a typing mistake or grammatically error, I tend to do it on porpoise to
see who bites.
We are all entytled to hour opineons, witch is grate,  But if I'd written "Vee are entitled" oops, Felix bashing (which seems to be
more 'en vogue' these day) few weeks ago I was chastised for similar
There are trends:
A current one is "this is nonsense, why did you bother to post it"   
Or the most annoying "Move along, nothing to see here"
In all humbleness I have to say "DUH off"

I sometimes think that if I posted a thread "Nothing to see here" someone would reply "Why did you say that ?"
BTW: should the question mark be before the closing speech marks or after ??

3/4 weeks ago there was a poll on 'who should be manager"  the result was resounding...Kit should be given a chance,
and everyone seemed dance the happy dance, the feel good factor was back, we got our Fulham back.
Now, after 6 halves of football and only 3 of them (1 per game) acceptable.........lot's of people....Kit out.
The news of todays committee seems to have galvanized a lot of "Kit's not ready"

This is of course all in IMHO with a lot of LOL and BTW's

Jol In........Jol out
Renee In....Rene Not good enough
The Crab (OOps) ... .No
Curbishley  .... why on earth ?
No to Pulis....which is obviously PC (and I agree with it)

No to Mackay....because he 'got caught' being Politically Incorrect. 
Saying what he felt, and everyone who has never said the 'N' word or the Honky word are on the band wagon
wagging their PC index finger  "he should never manage again"  OH dear we all 'f**k up but it's politically correct
not to admit it.  We're all in someway in our own 'publics eyes'
Glenn Hoddle was slagged off for his religious 'thing' but now there's a call for him to be considered manager.
I'm the first to slag of Ruiz, cos I think he's a poser and overrated.  It would be very PUC of me to say "I don't think
he had an outstanding World Cup" but it seems so did 100's of 'hiring managers' around the globe.
People slag off Mitro "He's a conman"  blah blah blah.

We are all quick to judge but,  "people in glass houses"  etc.......

For the longest time people have said "KHAN OUT, he hasn't got a clue".  I've never subscribed to that....Oooops
Perhaps he didn't, but he's observed and learned, and it seemed as if he's proved a lot of people wrong and dispelled
the "conspiracy theory of the block of flats"
"MACINTOSH OUT"  and I've been on that like a rash, but, with total subservience, it seems like he's a good financial person, the role he's played
in other areas, who knows, it seems like he's been pushed a little sideways

Daly, Quinn, Murphy, McBride and Jennings  (the latters involvement strikes me of a huge commitment to the
youth set up)

I even saw a post today saying something like "are the club being too open" ..........pleeeeeeeease, isn't that what we
(me included have been asking for ?) although I appreciate that I shouldn't address it in that way.

Every spleeing mistake on here is done on purpose

I apologize to the mods if they have a dilemma about this one, please delete if it's inflammatory.
Why did I write this ?
We are all Fulham fans and the bickering, sarcastic digs and pickyness is fascinating to me.

I see things like  WUM  or Attention Seeking, be honest  all of us who post on here are a bit like that
otherwise, why would we post, to offer our opinion and criticize someone Else's (IHMO) and for the 'camaraderie'
in my case.
There are loads of people who just read the posts, that's fine too, after all I wouldn't want to reply to any
thread I'd composed

To almost finish, in the words of Uriah Heap..(ish)
"I am humbled that you got this far, ever so humbled, super humbled"
Did I hear anyone say "More" ?

$2 for the first person to say something like  "Why did you bother to write this"  ?

Because I'm a sad lonely b*st*rd with nothing better to do but to hone my skills for future projects and I'm
mad as a hatter.

Good piece Roger in Virginia, or is that also sexist??!!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"