https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

An Apology

Started by Peabody, October 01, 2014, 09:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: Admin on October 01, 2014, 01:51:53 PM
RULES FOR POSTING
On behalf of the whole Friends of Fulham (FoF) team, welcome aboard! Please remember, all are welcome to join and enjoy this little piece of cyber bliss. Look after it, meet the locals and discover whatÂ’s involved in the Fulham experience.

Please note that your registration and subsequent use of FoF is taken as your agreement to the following rules.

SECTION 1 – KEEP IT RELEVANT
FoF is a football forum and so unrelated topics will generally be considered unacceptable, particularly if they are likely to cause offence. Examples of topics which will not be tolerated include:
•   Politics.
•   Racist remarks
•   Sexist remarks
•   Homophobic remarks
•   Sectarian and/or religious abuse
•   Terminal illnesses
•   Personal abuse, bullying, harassment, slander etc.
•   Positive remarks about Ernie Clay

It is understood that from time to time, especially on a football forum, subjects such as Hillsborough, Heysel, Bradford, Ibrox, the Munich air crash etc. will arise. We ask that any discussion is to remain respectful at all times due to the sensitive nature of the topic.

Please remember this is a public domain, an opinion or the re-emergence of such sensitive topics can open old wounds for so many friends, relatives, and loved ones.

FoF is not responsible for any messages posted. FoF does not vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message posted. The messages posted express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of FoF.

You agree, through your use of FoF, that you will not use this site to post any material which is knowingly false, defamatory, libelous, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, of a sexual content, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, in breach of copyright, or otherwise in potential violation of any law.

SECTION 2 – SUGGESTED GUIDELINES FOR POSTING
DEALING WITH CONFLICT
Whilst we have Fulham in common, it is inevitable that there will be disagreements between members over certain topics. This can be healthy, leading to a rich debate. However it can also end up in tears...

In such situations, common sense should apply. For example:
•   Be respectful of other people’s opinions, even when they differ from yours.
•   Refrain from getting personal. Stick to debating points, providing facts, influencing others through logical arguments, etc.
•   Think before you post... Read your intended message, put yourself in the recipient’s shoes and anticipate their reaction, and remember that it is far easier to misinterpret the written word compared to if you were talking with someone over a pint of Pride. If it passes these simple tests, then press “Post”.
•   You can always choose to agree to disagree, and move on...

Where you are getting wound up by another poster, or a particular topic, then you can do one or a combination of the following:
•   Send a PM to the person concerned to see if you can reach agreement privately rather than waging war with each other publically.
•   Send a PM to one of the moderators, who will investigate the issue, and try and ensure a speedy and amicable resolution.
•   Pass over the thread.
•   Ignore the member, by either moving over anything they post, or using the functionality within FoF that enables you to block posts from that user.
•   Using the “Report to Moderator” functionality where a post contravenes these rules.

TEXT TALK
Whilst not banned, text talk can be confusing for some users. Please apply common sense, and try to refrain from replying to posts in text language.

CAPITALS
Please refrain from using them constantly, as this can be interpreted as "SHOUTlNG". You wouldnÂ’t shout your opinion in a conversation so please donÂ’t do it on here. We donÂ’t mind members posting in capitals for emphasis however.

OVERSIZE SIGNATURES
We ask you to keep these to a reasonable size.

MULTIPLE THREADS
We ask members not to start multiple threads on the same subject. If this does occur, the moderators reserve the right to merge the threads.

SMILEY FACES AND OTHER EMOTICONS
We have no objections to their use but please don’t go overboard :)  :)

RIVAL SUPPORTERS
Whilst FoF is predominantly a Fulham community, the views and opinions from supporters of rival clubs are both welcomed and appreciated (the exception being Alan Green - no one should take any notice of him). Of course, banter has always been a key theme of FoF but if things get abusive then we will take action.

SWEARING
Please try to avoid swearing, trying to disguise the words is also not acceptable either. Whilst we are aware that a degree of mild swearing will crop up from time to time, the moderators reserve the right to remove any offensive words.

SECTION 3 – THE MOD SQUAD
Whilst some may think we possess super-hero powers, we are actually only human... Indeed I believe we all wear our underpants inside our trousers.

So whilst we like to think FoF is well moderated relative to other football forums, we actually do have day-jobs to do, social lives to lead, pubs to go to and we may also be seen at the occasional football match too.

So it may well be that there will be times when the board is mod-free, and something happens during our absence.

We can still be reached – by reporting abuse on a thread, or sending one (or more) of us a PM, then a mod will pick it up, and look to get stuck in as soon as possible.

Of course, the hope is that in following the above rules there will also be an element of self-moderation and the need for intervention by one of the mods will be kept to a minimum.

Where some form of intervention is required, the moderators have the following options available to them:
•   Locking threads.
•   Removing threads.
•   Merging threads.
•   Suspending members.
•   Banning members.

Naturally, being sociable types, we will try and sort things out amicably in the first instance, make posters aware of the standards expected, warn people where necessary, providing guidance on why certain measures may have been taken, etc. so any measure taken shouldnÂ’t be a total surprise to the person at the receiving end of it!

SECTION 4 – THE END
Enjoy FoF... And thatÂ’s an order!

No at all sure who this is aimed at, those presenting jokes or those being over politically correct.
In either case it is an almighty sledgehammer to crack a little nut.

Mince n Tatties

Take no notice its a cracker of a joke.
And most Irish jokes are made up by themselves anyway, Dont know when all this PC
nonsense first reared its ugly head, its all getting out of hand it really is.

jarv

Keep them coming. I am a Scot and you can post as many jokes about the Scots as you like. When I moved to London at age 12, a few at school, jokingly, would call me a "manky scotch git". Trust me, I am neither manky, scotch or a git. I found it quite amusing.

In context, example, when lining up for pick up football, one of the captains would say...I'll take the manky scotch git.  It made everyone  :005:

MJG

Like the rules but this one in particular stood out

OVERSIZE SIGNATURES
We ask you to keep these to a reasonable size.

Just wondered if its ever been an issue?

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: HatterDon on October 01, 2014, 01:51:53 PM
Reality check: humor is and is ONLY based on laughing at the human condition. There is not a single joke that doesn't make fun of somebody or something.

Here's a hint: if you don't like humor, just roll past. I have never played a video game in my life and when a thread shows up about a game or a system, I ignore it. I suppose I could drone on and on about how the subject doesn't interest me, but then I've never been a great fan of telling other people how to live.

Mr. Peabody has a knack for giving us some humor when we need it most. If you don't like what he does, leave him alone, and leave the rest of us to enjoy him in peace.

Firstly PB, keep posting the jokes, we're all adults (mostly) and the world is covered with
countries having a pop at others.
The French tell jokes about English love making
The Americans tell jokes about the food English eat
English tell jokes about everyone
Americans tell jokes about Poles (similar vein to Irish) What have the Poles ever done to anyone ?

PC is one of the reasons Geico Insurance adverts have been so successful over here.
They are mildly humorous and so far have featured A Gecko, Cavemen, Maxwell the pig,
and the Hump Day Camel.  None of those can respond and complain.

The Guinness Toucan never offended anyone (except toucans of course who we all know
only watch none commercial TV channels)

Keep telling the jokes and lighten the day.

PST: did you hear the one about the....................
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

MJG

How many forum posters does it take to change a light bulb?

- 1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
- 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
- 7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
- 27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
- 53 to flame the spell checkers
- 41 to correct spelling/grammar flames
- 6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another
- 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive
- 2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
- 27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
- 14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
- 12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
- 4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ
- 44 to ask what is a "FAQ"
- 4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
- 143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
- 1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

EDIT: -1 Moderator to close all the threads which contain's word "lightbulb

**of course this was nicked from another forum.

GloucesterWhite

Whenever I have been in Ireland I find all the jokes are true stories. Great place.

..Kya.ffc..

Some people take things way to serious and every joke have a potential to upset someone. Sometimes an apology is in place but definitely not for the one you posted earlier! That joke shouldn't really upset anyone.

Someone obviously found it bad taste but it's not like you made fun of a specific person/event that would "normally" classify as a no go. (Ofc, one could argue that people with libido problems, people who find it hard talking to their doctor about private matters, people who find sex repulsive, people who had a bad experience with Starbucks or once saw someone have sex n public and is traumatized by it, Irish woman and so on.. all have a case),  but a joke "this normal" should pretty much just be brushed aside if you find it bad.

If people can't have a laugh or even attempt to within limits the world would be a very dull place.
Beers may have been involved in this post.

SG

Keep posting Mr P. Most of yours make me chuckle and none cause offence as far as I am concerned

Twig

Humour often requires us to be capable of laughing at ourselves.  To my mind that is an important attribute and one that demonstrates humility and maturity in those who are the object of the joke.  Sadly some, so called humour, crosses the line and becomes a trojan horse for old fashioned bigotry, hatred and jealousy.  But to label the sort of humour that Peabody was offering as unacceptable is PC gone mad. Lighten up guys and girls and let's not take ourselves too seriously.

Holders

Quote from: jarv on October 01, 2014, 02:40:51 PM
Keep them coming. I am a Scot and you can post as many jokes about the Scots as you like. When I moved to London at age 12, a few at school, jokingly, would call me a "manky scotch git". Trust me, I am neither manky, scotch or a git. I found it quite amusing.

In context, example, when lining up for pick up football, one of the captains would say...I'll take the manky scotch git.  It made everyone  :005:

Is it true that the next Bond girl is going to be Scottish and called Devo Max?

To Mr McGuigan, I would very much like to hear Irish jokes about the English (being an Englishman who likes visiting Ireland).

To Mr Peabody - certainly no offence taken here.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Burt

I like a joke as much as the next man. Or indeed woman.

But on a board dedicated to football, jokes can turn in to a bit of a mare, as this thread shows.

It's not really a case of political correctness, so much as the fact that jokes inevitably are made at the expense of one of the sexes, a particular race, a religious group, special one haired people, or whatever.

And inevitably, the same joke may have one person rolling in the aisles but have another person declaring jihad on the teller of said joke. I am using extremes to illustrate the point.

"There's nowt as queer as folk", as the saying goes.

Hence the guidelines do encourage all FOFers to steer clear from causing a bit of a storm on here, even if it is one that is in a teacup or one that is much more serious than that.

Just my two cents worth, before I travel to the Cottage to see us pick up a second consecutive league win for the first time in a lifetime. Oops... Am I allowed to discuss football on here?

Peabody

I think it best if I stop the NFR Joke threads, at least for a while. As Burt points out, this is a football forum and attempts at humour only seem to infuriate some, so sadly, no more NFR Joke threads.

epsomraver

Quote from: Peabody on October 01, 2014, 05:25:09 PM
I think it best if I stop the NFR Joke threads, at least for a while. As Burt points out, this is a football forum and attempts at humour only seem to infuriate some, so sadly, no more NFR Joke threads.

Don't give in to the few idiots who throw the word racist around without any idea what they are talking about Bill , I hope to meet one tonight, In the words of my dear departed grannie, Fcuk them all  :005:

Jamie88

Don't stop the jokes Peabody, I and many others enjoy them. After reading the recent thread it's clear to me that there were just a couple of losers who wanted an argument.

Irelands_number1

I really hope your not apologising for the Irish joke??
It was in no way offensive. The joke could have been told in any context.

Some of the messages I've seen on this today are baffling.  As an Irishman I am proud of where I come from so no jokes about potatoes, the troubles etc would insult me. Because I feel I have nothing to be ashamed of. I thoroughly enjoy hearing racist Irish jokes or having my friends from other cultures insult me and have a laugh.

I feel the sad issue with political correctness is that if somebody is insulted by their own appearance or cultural background etc it is because they feel inferior. 

On this note I feel that if people can make jokes racist or stereotypical or whatever it may be then we are progressing as society and not the other way around.  Only then are we treating each other as equals while also recognising their unique history and heritage.

But maybe that's just an Irish thing because at the end of the day it's all a bit of craic and poo comes in every colour.

Burt

I know sir that you don't have a malicious bone in you and your intent is to spread some sunshine in to what has been a pretty dark and unhappy place over the last two seasons so please don't take my comments as a criticism of you specifically. So no need to apologize. It was more a reflection really of the problems of moderating these sorts of issues when things do kick off, and why the guidelines are what they are.

Holders

One of the best "jokes" I saw recently was a shop sign in a small town in Co. Cork, where the owner of the curry house was obviously having a dig at himself by what he called it. Probably wouldn't be allowed in England.

Let's just say it wasn't called Paddy Joe's.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Nick Bateman

Seems to be a case of "Political Correctness gone MAD!" when a gent like Peabody feels moved to apologise.  I had two warnings for similar minor misdemeanours and I do believe the moderators are under pressure from a loudmouth minority who dictate what is acceptable and what is not, in today's warped world.

The same PC 'dictators' will advocate tattoos on every orifice, swearing in music lyrics and family films, wearing one's trousers around their ankles, and having plastic injected into various organs to look like a fish!!  The mind blogges.....
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Barrett487

Don't stop the NFR jokes Mr P, cos Fulham jokes will upset ALL of us!