watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cameron Burgess

Started by SouthWest6, October 03, 2014, 09:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthWest6

What the hell was Magath thinking? Looking back, the lad was clearly not ready for the first team, even physically he wasn't developed enough, but Felix kept throwing him in, it was literally lambs to the slaughter. Another player was Jesse Joronen, possibly 2 players now who's development has been pushed back a couple of years due to Magath ruining their confidence. When you think about it, he was a bit of a nasty man. 

Peppo

Quote from: SouthWest6 on October 03, 2014, 09:34:34 AM
What the hell was Magath thinking? Looking back, the lad was clearly not ready for the first team, even physically he wasn't developed enough, but Felix kept throwing him in, it was literally lambs to the slaughter. Another player was Jesse Joronen, possibly 2 players now who's development has been pushed back a couple of years due to Magath ruining their confidence. When you think about it, he was a bit of a nasty man. 
If these players are going to make it then they are gong to have the character to deal with it. But I'm sure the experience will just as likely help their development.

Deanothefulhamfan

Burgess actually played well in the first game against Ipswich, but was playing as a DM. After that he was exposed, but I don't think he was helped by anyone. Joronen was a mistake, his first game was sad to see as he was so far out of his depth. He needed to do what Betinelli did and go out and get experience. I also think Trotta should have been ahead of Dembele, as he was another who looked a bit too raw.

I would say FM has done a lot of damage to those 3 players, and as you say halted their development. All 3 need to go out on loan somwhere or have a full season with the U21's. Burgess and Dembele basically skipped this and went straight to the first team.

cmg

Felix Magath (reading this board with his feet up in his Bavarian Schloss, drinking a stein of Graminger Weissbier after his morning run up and down the Zugspitze.) -

"Heh Heh. I've been gone for over a fortnight and I'm still winding up that SW6 bloke." (Rubs hands Mr Burns style). "Excellent".

Woodlawn

I think Cameron Burgess will still make It as a first team Player .looked more mature than his age perhaps a loan deal would be in both interest

nose

I thought burges did OK in the circumstances. what all the younger players had as a problem was the total inconsistency of tactics and team line up. Clearly  Jorenen  was far from ready for the task but I do like the current keeper.

I think burges is a big talent for the future and look forward to seeing him again when he gets another chance.

Tonywa

We are tending to overlook the fact that many players were promoted from the Under18s straight to the first team without playing Under 21 football in the meantime. The chances of a whole group of them achieving that jump easily and fitting in straight away was at best wishful thinking.

cmg

I can't imagine for a moment that these guys have been damaged by a brief, early experience of first team football.
Sure they are only kids (rather large ones in Burgess' case) but they are not delicate schoolgirls or shrinking violets. They have been footballers for most of their lives and would be fully aware of the challenges that face them.

I would think that Cam Burgess would be proud of what he has achieved, thrilled at having experienced first team football, aware of what he has still to learn and even more determined to eventually make his mark. The fact that he has just been selected for Australia u20s shows that his reputation has been done no harm.

I further imagine that the players' experiences of the 'eccentricities' of Magath are already a source of amusement and exaggerated jokes.

Berserker

I think the Felix experience will be a good life lesson for these youngsters
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

blingo

Quote from: Berserker on October 03, 2014, 02:21:28 PM
I think the Felix experience will be a good life lesson for these youngsters

+1

ToodlesMcToot

There's plenty of reasons to heap blame onto FM without manufacturing them. He stated at the beginning of the season that he was going to give everyone a chance to prove they belonged and, though he clearly wasn't evenhanded, pretty much kept to that. You've no way of knowing how Joronen performed in training. He might have merited the opportunities that he received and just did poorly with them. The same can be said of Burgess and Kavanagh.

And to say that he's set those players back years is just guessing and "the sky is falling" type criticism. There's no merit in it.

If those kids don't have the mental fortitude to overcome failure, they were never going to be good professional footballers in the first place. At worst, they were given the opportunity of their dreams and were quickly shown what it is that they need to be working on.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Putney

Can't wait for Felix Magath to be banging his 'I gave Patrick Roberts professional football' drum in 5 years time when Roberts is ridiculously good.