watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Whites or Cottagers?

Started by Twig, October 03, 2014, 06:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

I think the nickname has always been the cottagers ,but that comes from the club , not the supporters . I have a couple of handbooks /monthly mags from the sixties called "Cottage Pie ". News from inside the cottage . "You liliewhites"  comes from the days of rosettes and rattles ,and when you could walk from the putney End to the Hammersmith end along the terraces ,inside our ground, great days gone by . Sorry getting all teary eyed !

Logicalman

Quote from: colinwhite on October 03, 2014, 10:34:07 PM
I think the nickname has always been the cottagers ,but that comes from the club , not the supporters . I have a couple of handbooks /monthly mags from the sixties called "Cottage Pie ". News from inside the cottage . "You liliewhites"  comes from the days of rosettes and rattles ,and when you could walk from the putney End to the Hammersmith end along the terraces ,inside our ground, great days gone by . Sorry getting all teary eyed !

I remember making a rattle during school woodworking classes, I made a double-rattle, painted it black and white. Nostalgia helps sometimes colin.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

colinwhite

Agreed , you can't beat a bit of nostalgia . I was looking through some old programmes the other day from the sixties . We had the first colour illustrated  programme in the football league !
Remember the green cover with Barrett,Earle and Conway ( my favorite player of the day )?
Magic !

ron

As a final word on the subject (you must be joking!) ....the name Cottagers has probably lost its currency in the same way that "The Pensioners" has for our friends down the road. Unfashionable for chants, etc., but still used by commentators to distinguish us from other "Whites", (unlike the tag for Chelsea, perhaps because of its age connotation for them).