watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Greatest guitar solos

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, October 06, 2014, 02:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delboy

That chap Mick Ronson could pluck a bit as well.

beijing ben

Quote from: RaySmith on October 06, 2014, 07:50:32 AM
Definitely Jimi Hendrix.

Other personal favourites-Neil Young, Richard Thompson, John McLaughlin, John Martyn, Son House.

I have a Karen Matheson solo album by the way.

I was wondering how far i would have to go down to find someone offering the guitarists' guitarist John McLaughlin.

A lot of people would put Eddie Van Halen in there for greatest guitar solo. A better Eddie and, in my opinion, the greatest guitarist of all time, Eddie 'Maggot Brain' Hazel, although his signature song can't really be called a guitar solo as it is the whole song...

beijing ben

Quote from: alfie on October 06, 2014, 08:12:44 AM
Isley Brothers "summer Breeze"

Good call with the Isleys. Hendrix learnt a lot from them and, in turn, influenced them a lot, too..

Forever Fulham

Don't forget Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane."  Major shout out to Jose Feliciano, too.  Well done, Blingo.

Snibbo

Quote from: Delboy on October 06, 2014, 11:38:06 AM
That chap Mick Ronson could pluck a bit as well.
He could indeed. Some great stuff on Ziggy Stardust

Burt

Surprised Eddie van Halen isn't getting a shout...

absent cottager

Kirk Hammett http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O1PLhKJgkaI serious stuff now

Fulham1959

For the older ones out there :

James Burton on Ricky Nelson's "Hello Mary Lou".  (You don't have to assault the guitar to perform a great or memorable solo.)

Hank Garland on Elvis Presley's "A Fool Such As I".

Whoever played the gorgeous out-tro on The Carpenters' "Goodbye To Love".

beijing ben

Quote from: Burt on October 06, 2014, 12:28:26 PM
Surprised Eddie van Halen isn't getting a shout...

Always skip my posts Burt? ;-)

spikey norman

Ry Cooder and B B King deserve a mention

cmg

Quote from: Fulham1959 on October 06, 2014, 12:54:17 PM

Whoever played the gorgeous out-tro on The Carpenters' "Goodbye To Love".

That was Tony Peluso. Excellent. Sounds, to me, a bit like Jan Akkerman (although not so good!)

Quote from: Bedford White on October 06, 2014, 09:41:38 AM
Clapton (Derek and the Dominos) - Layla

Hope I'm not being too anorakish - but I think it's fair to point out that 'Layla' was as much Duane Allman's as it was Clapton's. There are sixteen tracks involved here and it's difficult to sort out who's who. Allman said it was easy to tell - he played the Gibson bits and Eric played the Fender bits - but it's not as simple as that for us laymen. What is sure is that Allman had a great deal of creative input (Clapton envisaged the song originally as a ballad!) and he certainly contributed the screaming slide outro.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: beijing ben on October 06, 2014, 11:39:58 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on October 06, 2014, 07:50:32 AM
Definitely Jimi Hendrix.

Other personal favourites-Neil Young, Richard Thompson, John McLaughlin, John Martyn, Son House.

I have a Karen Matheson solo album by the way.

I was wondering how far i would have to go down to find someone offering the guitarists' guitarist John McLaughlin.

A lot of people would put Eddie Van Halen in there for greatest guitar solo. A better Eddie and, in my opinion, the greatest guitarist of all time, Eddie 'Maggot Brain' Hazel, although his signature song can't really be called a guitar solo as it is the whole song...

Hear Hear! Was just coming back to throw this into the mix myself.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

NogoodBoyo

Unsursprisingly and understandably most of you have chosen classic sixties Britarists who playe(ed) to a formula with heavy volume and distortion  to disguise the occasional kerfluffed notes in their speedy licks followed by sustained notes leading to heavy distortion, bends and feedback (not to forget the shredding).  It was great and original in the day but drugs and giant stacked Marshall amps certainly helped disguise the lack of genuine technique and skill.
In amongst all the melee there's one Brit who stands out head and shoulders above the rest.  In fact, he is known as ("the guitarists' guitarist) as he was and is always original with peerless technique and feel for his instrument - back then it was the unpopular Fender Telecaster as opposed to the Strat or the Gibson.
He started with Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds, before blossoming with Heads Hands & Feet, Jerry Lee Lewis, Emmylou Harris, Eric Clapton, The Everly Brothers (among many many more).
If you want to see how how a guitar solo is put together by a genius, watch this Dave Edmunds clip.
Oh, his name is Albert Lee.
Albert Lee - Sweet Little Lisa overdub
Nogood "not to be confused with the vastly inferior shredder, Alvin Lee, isit" Boyo

blingo

This thread is plucking great lol. I'm Hank Marvin, so I'm gonna get me a sandwich.
Bling ....no strings attached......ooooooo

NogoodBoyo

By the way Ray Smith, there was a Ray Smith with Albert Lee and Chas Hodges in Heads Hands & Feet in the early seventies.  Not you was it?
Nogood "Chas Hodges was a serious musician indeed, isit" Boyo

HatterDon

Quote from: The Bronsons on October 06, 2014, 07:42:54 AM
Best solo (there's a moment that always sends a shiver down my spine): Jimmy Page in "Since I've Been Loving You".

Most minimal/fun: the one-note intervention on Slim Harpo's King Bee (not sure of the name of the guitarist).

Best overall guitarist: Jimi Hendrix.

Most influential guitarist: Chuck Berry, runners-up Robert Johnson and Jimi.

which reminds me of Neil Young's solo on "Cinnamon Girl."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Dodgin

HatterDon

Quote from: blingo on October 06, 2014, 03:11:56 PM
This thread is plucking great lol. I'm Hank Marvin, so I'm gonna get me a sandwich.

You'd be surprised at the number of young [under 35] American shredders I know who cite Hank Marvin as a major influence.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

blingo

Quote from: HatterDon on October 06, 2014, 03:40:30 PM
Quote from: blingo on October 06, 2014, 03:11:56 PM

You'd be surprised at the number of young [under 35] American shredders I know who cite Hank Marvin as a major influence.

But how many know that Hank Marvin means starvin Mr HD lol lol

shnlwswlkr

The solo from Nothing Else Matters by Metallica was the first solo I ever learnt on guitar, so that always holds a fond place in me heart!
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr