Main Menu

NFR: Greatest guitar solos

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, October 06, 2014, 02:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

Here's a few more from my memory banks:

Toy Caldwell of Marshall Tucker

Alvin Lee of Ten Years After

Hard to believe no one has mentioned Mick Taylor yet. Stones were at their best IMO during his time w them.

And I don't think anyone should be talking guitar solos without mentioning the trio of Al di Meola, Paco De Lucia, and John McGlaughlin (already mentioned, I know). http://youtu.be/k_5YZbmLI4c

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Fulham1959

Quote from: blingo on October 06, 2014, 04:07:01 PM
Bet you look at her legs.

Indeed.  What instrument did you say she was playing, again ?  -  I got a bit distracted.

nose

Quote from: beijing ben on October 06, 2014, 04:26:45 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on October 06, 2014, 02:38:15 PM
Quote from: beijing ben on October 06, 2014, 11:39:58 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on October 06, 2014, 07:50:32 AM
Definitely Jimi Hendrix.

Other personal favourites-Neil Young, Richard Thompson, John McLaughlin, John Martyn, Son House.

I have a Karen Matheson solo album by the way.

I was wondering how far i would have to go down to find someone offering the guitarists' guitarist John McLaughlin.

A lot of people would put Eddie Van Halen in there for greatest guitar solo. A better Eddie and, in my opinion, the greatest guitarist of all time, Eddie 'Maggot Brain' Hazel, although his signature song can't really be called a guitar solo as it is the whole song...

Hear Hear! Was just coming back to throw this into the mix myself.

Never saw the man himself live but saw Michael Hampton do a fantastic version of the song Maggot Brain in Ohio in 2002

eddie hazel was a legend and inovative BUT IMO Michael hampton is the greatest guitarist. anybody that hasn't heard maggot brain cannot understand true greatness. when I play maggot brain to any lover of the electric guitar no matter what genre they like are all amazed and blown away by the brialliance of mr hampton.

earlier this year it was my privelidge to be at a unique gig in london with an audience of around 100 people in a small studio. michael hampton was a few feet infront of me and to see and hear him so close was a wonderful moving experience. i talked with after and the next day at another linked event and the man was just a pleasure to be around. the crazy george clinton thing may be what makes them tick but the parliament/funkadelic thing is 100% profesionalism of the highest order.

BB King is the greatest in terms of influence on the whole guitar playing world just check out 'the thrill is gone'

but recently I got wind of
anson funderburgh
he was playing with eric lindell and was so moving he brought tears to my eyes... his talent is up there with the very best of them... here are a couple of live clips taken on a domestic camcorder so make a little bit of allowance but well worth a try... anson is the player to the left of the stage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5OJHOCMEuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYz60knljaY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQdHlrDk11o (around 4.30 the sound was bery quiet, you could hear a pin drop, unfortunately the auto adjust on the audio doesn't recreate the sound but it was moving!).

Hope you enjoy a new player

Aaron

Quote from: Stefano Okaka Chuka on October 06, 2014, 04:13:05 PM
Slayer "Angel of death"

Ugh.. That solo is an abomination.

I'd prefer Slayer without the solos to be honest.  The rythym play is hard to argue with but Kerry King in particular just can't play lead very well. 

I used to be able to play the MOP solo "back in the day" but I doubt I'd have the dexterity anymore without a lot of work that, sadly, I don't have time for.

For my own contribution I think I'd like to nominate Paul Gilbert's take on the Comfortably Numb solo which he integrated into the Racer-X song Technical Difficulties.  This is probably my favourite version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rn-wj4pRpIE#t=142

The playing on this whole video is just ridiculous.  It is and will always remain my benchmark.

Snibbo

This man deserves a mention.

Robin Trower, Bridge of Sighs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0d1HilfLxA

love4ffc

Quote from: blingo on October 06, 2014, 08:23:03 PM
Very good Mr L4, but watch and listen to the end of this, this man has incredible talent.
5 instruments in a Guitar - Jose Feliciano

Very nice indeed.  He is definitely talented.  As was pointed out by NoogoodBoyo he's so good he doesn't have to turn up the volume or use a stack of Marshall amps.   :Haynes The Maestro:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

beijing ben

Quote from: nose on October 06, 2014, 10:36:08 PM
Definitely Jimi Hendrix.

Other personal favourites-Neil Young, Richard Thompson, John McLaughlin, John Martyn, Son House.

I was wondering how far i would have to go down to find someone offering the guitarists' guitarist John McLaughlin.

A lot of people would put Eddie Van Halen in there for greatest guitar solo. A better Eddie and, in my opinion, the greatest guitarist of all time, Eddie 'Maggot Brain' Hazel, although his signature song can't really be called a guitar solo as it is the whole song...

Never saw the man himself live but saw Michael Hampton do a fantastic version of the song Maggot Brain in Ohio in 2002

eddie hazel was a legend and inovative BUT IMO Michael hampton is the greatest guitarist. anybody that hasn't heard maggot brain cannot understand true greatness. when I play maggot brain to any lover of the electric guitar no matter what genre they like are all amazed and blown away by the brialliance of mr hampton.

earlier this year it was my privelidge to be at a unique gig in london with an audience of around 100 people in a small studio. michael hampton was a few feet infront of me and to see and hear him so close was a wonderful moving experience. i talked with after and the next day at another linked event and the man was just a pleasure to be around. the crazy george clinton thing may be what makes them tick but the parliament/funkadelic thing is 100% profesionalism of the highest order.

BB King is the greatest in terms of influence on the whole guitar playing world just check out 'the thrill is gone'

anson funderburgh
he was playing with eric lindell and was so moving he brought tears to my eyes... his talent is up there with the very best of them... here are a couple of live clips taken on a domestic camcorder so make a little bit of allowance but well worth a try... anson is the player to the left of the stage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQdHlrDk11o (around 4.30 the sound was bery quiet, you could hear a pin drop, unfortunately the auto adjust on the audio doesn't recreate the sound but it was moving!).

I'll be sure to check out anson when i can. No youtube for me and my computer is too slow to listen to anything.. Hampton is definitely up there. I think his daughter or niece went to a university near to where i was studying in Ohio (a shy young woman got on stage and hugged Hampton after he played Maggot Brain) which is why they were playing where i saw them. Best thing i've ever seen live. They played for well over three hours and sang and danced off the stage. Not bad for $20. Two things i won't forget from that night: 1. George Clinton jr. running out on stage in a nappy and going crazy 2. Hampton playing Maggot Brain, which i really wasnt expecting..

Stefano Okaka Chuka

Quote from: Aaron on October 06, 2014, 11:28:37 PM
Quote from: Stefano Okaka Chuka on October 06, 2014, 04:13:05 PM
Slayer "Angel of death"

Ugh.. That solo is an abomination.

I'd prefer Slayer without the solos to be honest.  The rythym play is hard to argue with but Kerry King in particular just can't play lead very well. 

I used to be able to play the MOP solo "back in the day" but I doubt I'd have the dexterity anymore without a lot of work that, sadly, I don't have time for.

For my own contribution I think I'd like to nominate Paul Gilbert's take on the Comfortably Numb solo which he integrated into the Racer-X song Technical Difficulties.  This is probably my favourite version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rn-wj4pRpIE#t=142

The playing on this whole video is just ridiculous.  It is and will always remain my benchmark.

I love Hannemann's and King's solos they are a completely different thing from the usual solos you hear in metal. Also Trey Azagtoth's "Where the slime live" is gorgeous in my opinion.
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

nose

Quote from: beijing ben on October 07, 2014, 07:16:57 AM
Quote from: nose on October 06, 2014, 10:36:08 PM
Definitely Jimi Hendrix.

anson funderburgh

I'll be sure to check out anson when i can. No youtube for me and my computer is too slow to listen to anything.. Hampton is definitely up there. I think his daughter or niece went to a university near to where i was studying in Ohio (a shy young woman got on stage and hugged Hampton after he played Maggot Brain) which is why they were playing where i saw them. Best thing i've ever seen live. They played for well over three hours and sang and danced off the stage. Not bad for $20. Two things i won't forget from that night: 1. George Clinton jr. running out on stage in a nappy and going crazy 2. Hampton playing Maggot Brain, which i really wasnt expecting..

i never heard of anson before we saw him live and I can assure you he so doesn't look like the sort who can move you, he looks more like country and western that i do not like at all. But he just has feeling in his play and whilst others can be technically more gifted (he is no slouch in that respect eirther), but it is the quality of emotion that counts for me.

I also saw the family stone recently in london. the guitarist was briilliant and I was able to chat with him, he told me he is close friends with michael hampton and it seems it is a small world.

Cottagism

Lyricism.  Economy.  Punctuated by intense virtuousity.  It's Roy Buchanan.  Roy Buchanan-Sweet Dreams [HD]

Plus, he could do it live, too.  ROY BUCHANAN - SWEET DREAMS(LIVE 1976)

[Actually, this is an instrumental, rather than a guitar solo, now I think about it.  But who's counting.]

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: jarv on October 06, 2014, 04:17:51 PM
Gary Moore, still got the blues for you.  Can be heard any Sunday, an oldish guy, street musician in Winchester. Brilliant, and a nice man too.

+ Gary Moore with Phil Lynott - Perisienne Walkways
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

nose

Quote from: Cottagism on October 07, 2014, 03:25:10 PM
Lyricism.  Economy.  Punctuated by intense virtuousity.  It's Roy Buchanan.  Roy Buchanan-Sweet Dreams [HD]

Plus, he could do it live, too.  ROY BUCHANAN - SWEET DREAMS(LIVE 1976)

[Actually, this is an instrumental, rather than a guitar solo, now I think about it.  But who's counting.]

i heard a CD whilst walking in amsterdam coming from a basement.. i stopped, asked what it was and told it roy buchanan's second album.. i purchased it on the spot. he is very good.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Some fantastic talent on these posts, a lot of them I've got to be honest
I've never heard of.
Remiss of me to forget:
Stevie Ray Vaughan
BB King
Joe Satriano
Jose Feliciano
and yes Burt Weedon

I saw Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia and John Williams at the RAH many moons ago, great guitarists but
2 hours, a bit bored  !!!

HD:  Hank Marvin ???
How can anyone be inspired by this  ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y_NOx9Aubw
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

The Equalizer

Not a guitar solo per se in the classical sense, but this doris is one of the best guitarists I've ever had the pleasure of seeing live, when she played with Richie Sambora at The Calling festival over summer. I give you Orianthi:

Orianthi Beat It solo KIISFM
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

blingo

Watch her do voodoo child Mr Eq.
As they say in the world of Bass, she is some slapper.  :HD:

you lucky people

my greatest guitarist was John Dawson Winter III, a man who lived and breathed the Blues.  My favourite guitar solo of all time? well, that's a tough ones as there are so many good ones, I'll go for Ernie Isley 'That Lady'
'Remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean, cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.'

yatewhite

Cottagism

Hang on - what about our very own Richard Thompson.  The chap who blew Jimmy Page off the stage in a Fairport/Led Zep jam at The Troubador in LA (Sept 1970) - so effectively that Peter Grant (Zep's hardnut manager) allegedly ensured that tape of the event would never see light of day.  By torching it.  Still, there's plenty else to go on.  Richard Thompson - Tear Stained Letter - Scottish TV 99

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LWP5GZ7XKac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

andyk

What about Chas? Or is it Dave? I'm never sure.

Justme

What about Joe Bonamassa, Greg Lake, Johnny Ramone or Joe Satriani. Also women guitarists, for example Dani Wilde,  Joanne Shaw Taylor and Anna Calvi.